Talk to me about coming off Wellbutrin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-14-2008, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there!

I'm about 4 months out from thinking about coming off my Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2X day. We are moving back to the states soon and I think I'll need a few months to get settled before trying to wean myself off meds with my Dr.s help. It was never meant to be long term and I am ready to try life without it.

I watch my DH come off a couple of diff anti depressants and it was one heck of a ride. I know its different for everyone, but can those of you who maybe came off Wellbutrin share your withdrawl expereinces with me? How long did it take, major side effects, etc.

TIA!

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#2 of 6 Old 06-17-2008, 01:55 AM

I tapered down slowly and it went really easily. Some mild nausea, no vomiting, more annoying than anything and it lasted maybe two weeks. I could still eat and actually felt better when I ate.

Nothing like coming off Paxil (then later Lexapro) I got my ass kicked when weaned off SSRI's.
#3 of 6 Old 06-17-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, what was your taper down schedule?

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#4 of 6 Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 PM

I was on 300mg of SR daily (two 150mg tabs). I took them both in the morning or I couldn't sleep. I started with 300mg one day and 150mg the next back and forth for one week. Then I did 150mg a day for two weeks. Then 150mg every other day for one week. Then I stopped. I know that sounds excessive but weaning off Paxil kicked my butt and I was worried it would be the same with the Wellbutrin.
#5 of 6 Old 07-20-2008, 07:41 PM

My DH weaned down from 450mg Wellbutrin XL down to 150mg Wellbutrin XL over the period of a couple weeks and didn't have any issues with it.
#6 of 6 Old 07-20-2008, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welbutrin isn't a drug you need to be too concerned about weaning off of. It's technically okay to just stop taking it. The meds that have the withdrawal symptoms usually affect serotonin, but welbutrin works on norepinephrine. If you wanted to taper, you could go to once a day and then stop. You could also consult your doctor about it before stopping.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page