Mood Cure supplementation and bfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
EENS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there, (nak)
Is anyone following any of the Mood Cure regiments and breastfeeding? There are a couple of supplements I am interested in (either Sam-e or 5htp, and a few others I can't think of now).

Most of the information I've read, says most of those supplements can't be taken while nursing. Is this really the case or is this a case of someone covering their butts?

Thanks!
EENS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-01-2008, 12:12 AM
 
mlec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also wonder about this....I started 5 htp while I was still bfing my 15 m/o...I had low supply around this time, too, but not sure if it was b/c of the 5htp or some other reason. I believe Kellymom.com says 5htp can cause low supply. For me, it was the least of my worries...
mlec is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
 
EENS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for your input. I'll take a look at kellymom. Low supply is the last thing I need right now as my LO is only 3 months old.
EENS is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
 
EENS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else have any information?
EENS is offline  
Old 07-02-2008, 11:14 PM
 
AnyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They are just covering their butts.

However, no studies have been done on 5-htp. St. John's Wart, on the other hand, has been well studied and is believed to be safe. It's used in Europe more than Prozac, even in the non-nursing population.

IMO St. John's wart is safer in general than 5-htp or Sam-e, which are both more likely to cause manias.
AnyMama is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 03:46 AM
 
buffybutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just coming on here to ask this same question.

Have you started the regiment?


Anymama....

What do you do fir a living? Just curious sounds like you know your stuff!
buffybutt is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
 
EENS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffybutt View Post
I was just coming on here to ask this same question.

Have you started the regiment?


Anymama....

What do you do fir a living? Just curious sounds like you know your stuff!
No, not yet. I'm still trying to decide if and when I"ll do it. I'm also trying to decide which combo would be best.
EENS is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
 
EENS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyMama View Post
They are just covering their butts.

However, no studies have been done on 5-htp. St. John's Wart, on the other hand, has been well studied and is believed to be safe. It's used in Europe more than Prozac, even in the non-nursing population.

IMO St. John's wart is safer in general than 5-htp or Sam-e, which are both more likely to cause manias.
Thank you for the information. Does St. John's affect supply? I thought I read it did.
EENS is offline  
Old 07-03-2008, 04:01 PM
 
AnyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffybutt View Post
I was just coming on here to ask this same question.

Have you started the regiment?


Anymama....

What do you do fir a living? Just curious sounds like you know your stuff!
LOL

While I have worked for a doctor, and a medical school, I'm not in health care. But I do have a husband who experienced a brief reactive psychosis and was misdiagnosed as bi-polar. We went through hell for almost a year while he was over-medicated, incorrectly medicated and no one would listen to me. And I learned a whole lot!

That and I missed my calling to be a pharmacist.
AnyMama is offline  
Old 07-09-2014, 05:01 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyMama View Post
 But I do have a husband who experienced a brief reactive psychosis and was misdiagnosed as bi-polar. We went through hell for almost a year while he was over-medicated, incorrectly medicated and no one would listen to me.
How do I get in contact with AnyMama to discuss? I believe the same has happened to me, 4 years of hell due to unnecessary medication. How do I get re diagnosed?
Martin Glass is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off