New here... Needing support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-31-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am an old timer MDCer but haven't been around much for awhile.

I am diagnosed with Major Depression Severe Recurrent and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. So very strongly that I spent a week in a mental hospital in March and just now 3 weeks in another one. I do have a lot of online friends and post on a couple big crunchy boards but I am not sure about posting my issues there both because, people just don't understand or know what to say, and I have a business online and I don't want to hurt it.

I am on some major meds (Cymbalta 60 - possibly upping to 120, Wellbutrin XL 450, Abilify 50, Xanax .5-1 as needed, and Ambien to sleep) all of which I used to be pretty against but I currently absolutely NEED so ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? My kids NEED me. My boys 7 and almost 3 are autistic and my 5 year old dd is redheaded spitfire with some anxiety issues. Who wouldn't with a mommy like me around lately?

Basically I just need to find a place to be supported and to support others going through similar stuff. I got so much support when I was inpatient and honestly I miss it.

So there is my current state in a nutshell. Nice to meet ya'll.
#2 of 23 Old 07-31-2008, 03:53 PM

DP is on some pretty major medications right now too and she was highly resistant to taking them. It took a few times in and out of the hospitals for her to understand that it *is* a chronic condition in her case and it isn't going to go away. It is hard to accept. Yes, we all do what we need to in order to make things work for our families.
FWIW, DP has said each time after leaving the hospital that she is anxious upon leaving because there was so much more support while inside. Peace to you as you work with this. :

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#3 of 23 Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Susannah! Is Allison on the boards at all? Sounds like we could have a lot in common.
#4 of 23 Old 07-31-2008, 06:12 PM

She is not, but if you would like to get in touch with her just send me a PM :

#5 of 23 Old 08-03-2008, 08:51 PM

I'll offer my support to you, mama. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder January 07. I have been hospitalized, too. Most recently in October for a week. I, too, take medication. I wasn't keen on the idea at first, but I they save my life every day and for that I am thankful. I do not like relying on medication, but it is, what it is. I choose life over death. If I was unmedicated I would most likely be dead.....or in a real world of hurt. I have found having a strong support network to be key in my life. My husband is very helpful, as is my mother and in-laws, some friends. I had a bad go this past week. I'm managing a restaurant that just opened last monday. Lots of stress and lots of stimuli. It was crazy! I was working nutty hours...seventeen days in a row. I was a mess. I was fine at work but as soon as I got home I would break down. My family really stepped it up and helped with my children - which was key. I had today off and I was able to relax for the most part, but I'm still feeling a little bit squirrely. I'm sorry, I don't mean to highjack your thread....I'll stick to the topic! HA! Does ambien work well for you? I was given a Rx for it this week when I was all shades of crazy and not sleeping. I was given 10mg. I'm not sure it works very well for me. It doesn't make me very tired. I am sleeping, but I don't think it helps. I was told 10mg is on the strong end, too.

Take care, mama!!

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#6 of 23 Old 08-03-2008, 08:57 PM

s

I was recently diagnosed with Severe Anxiety Disorder, possible PTSD and started meds that I NEVER thought I'd take. But now that I can feel the difference they are making, I'm so grateful that they were available to me.

I hope you can find the support you need, both here and IRL.
#7 of 23 Old 08-04-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!

Abbylotus:
I take 1 Ambien 10mg and 1 Xanax .5 mg to sleep. Just the Ambien or just the Xanax doesn't do it for me. They told me I can go up to 1mg Xanax with the Ambien if this doesn't do it but it is - YAY - I hadn't slept well in so long.

True, meds or death. That's about where I am/was. Meds aare definitely preferable, at least when I am feeling good.
#8 of 23 Old 08-04-2008, 03:29 PM

Just thought I'd say hi. I also have PTSD. And a five year old red-headed spitfire. And twin 2.5 year old boys. Phew.

I'm not taking any meds yet, but it's been coming up lately in therapy as I'm having a really hard time holding it together emotionally. My marriage is in dire straits.

I've been learning to practice mindfulness. It helps, but finding the time to meditate is practically impossible.
#9 of 23 Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzarooni View Post
Thanks so much!

Abbylotus:
I take 1 Ambien 10mg and 1 Xanax .5 mg to sleep. Just the Ambien or just the Xanax doesn't do it for me. They told me I can go up to 1mg Xanax with the Ambien if this doesn't do it but it is - YAY - I hadn't slept well in so long.

True, meds or death. That's about where I am/was. Meds aare definitely preferable, at least when I am feeling good.
I have been taking two 10mg ambien at night. I need to sleep!! I see my head shrinker tomorrow....I'll tell her what's going on. I should really try a night without the ambien and see what happens, but I'm a little scared. I really get nutty when my sleep is jacked. Thank god I didn't have these mental troubs when my kids were babes!

Are you still feeling depressed or are you over that hump, mama?

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#10 of 23 Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ellen, mindfulness is AWESOME. Have you looked at the full DBT theories? I am ordering Linehan's book and hope to join a local DBT group. You definitely have stress there, if you have to do meds, even for a short time to get yourself healthy enough to take care of your kids, I say try it. JMO I am SOOOO glad I did.
#11 of 23 Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Wow two full Ambien! Yes I would let them know and that you want to try something else. I have a huge problem being assertive, though I am learning, but from one mama to another, be assertive of what you need! ANYONE without enough sleep has a hard time, especially us though with chemical issues.
#12 of 23 Old 08-05-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

PS yesterday was a ROUGH day but after a .5 Xanax, a 15 min walk in the rain and walk in the rushing creek, then an hour nap, I was better. And today I feel pretty darn good! I even have been smiling - huge shocker for me!
#13 of 23 Old 08-05-2008, 08:15 PM

I'm glad today is going well

#14 of 23 Old 08-06-2008, 02:12 AM

Just wanted to give a Hope you feel better.
#15 of 23 Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 PM

I'm glad you're having a better day!!

I didn't tell my shrink about the two ambiens. I lost my nerve. She wrote my a script for 3mos!! It took me off gaurd. I don't plan on using these ambien for the long haul....once I get out of the weeds I'll wean off of them. It sounds like an excuse, I know, and it is...BUT...that's the way I'm doing it rigt now. I know I should be taking valerian root, drinking earthy teas, dropping rescue medicine, sniffing plant essences, practicing yoga....all that good for you jazz, but I'm not. Hmph.

#16 of 23 Old 08-07-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

It's hard in the midst to do stuff that is good for you, I totally know. IMO you should call your psych and tell them the Ambien really wasn't doing it for you and you had to take 2, but you were nervous to say so. I DOUBT they would be upset, some people need more. Like I said, they told me to take up to 1mg Xanax (2 of my pills) and 1 10 mg Ambien to sleep and if that didn't work they would try something else. They WANT you to sleep, they WANT you to do this until you "get out of the weeds." They AGREE (at least my doctors here agree.) I figure with meds, it is best to be upfront about what you are really taking so they can help you best, but I am totally passive and quiet and self-deprecating too, so I can totally understand why you didn't want to tell them. *hug*
#17 of 23 Old 08-09-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I am an old timer MDCer but haven't been around much for awhile.

I am diagnosed with Major Depression Severe Recurrent and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. So very strongly that I spent a week in a mental hospital in March and just now 3 weeks in another one. I do have a lot of online friends and post on a couple big crunchy boards but I am not sure about posting my issues there both because, people just don't understand or know what to say, and I have a business online and I don't want to hurt it.

I am on some major meds (Cymbalta 60 - possibly upping to 120, Wellbutrin XL 450, Abilify 50, Xanax .5-1 as needed, and Ambien to sleep) all of which I used to be pretty against but I currently absolutely NEED so ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? My kids NEED me. My boys 7 and almost 3 are autistic and my 5 year old dd is redheaded spitfire with some anxiety issues. Who wouldn't with a mommy like me around lately?

Basically I just need to find a place to be supported and to support others going through similar stuff. I got so much support when I was inpatient and honestly I miss it.

So there is my current state in a nutshell. Nice to meet ya'll.
Hi Danielle!!! I remember you from *babycenter!* (I think I was Lolov there) when we were both pg with our now 5yo's!!! Welcome back to MDC!

I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this at the moment. I am finally feeling "stable" after struggling with MDD for years without treatment (I felt like I "should" be able to just snap out of it... even though I know better!) I'm on effexor and it seems to be working well for me, thank the universe!

I also know what you mean about the support from inpatient. I was inpatient ten years ago when my first marriage fell apart and I still sometimes want to go back LOL.

Do you have a good therapist? I have found that my therapist is *invaluable* to my mental health at this point. I forget where you live... I'm in Richmond, VA now (Yeah, I need to change my "location" LOL).

I just wanted you to know that I remembered you and that I can totally relate

Hugs to you!
#18 of 23 Old 08-09-2008, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I remember you! It was SheKnows, back when it was called something else, who knows ha ha. Thanks so much for the support. I do have a great therapist and need to make sure I schedule appts ahead of time. He only works Mon and Tues so if I don't schedule them out, I can't get in. I have a month's worth scheduled now though. He helps a TON!

HUGS back!
#19 of 23 Old 08-09-2008, 07:09 PM

YAY!!! I'm glad you remember me!

I can't believe it's been 5 years LOL!
#20 of 23 Old 08-09-2008, 10:02 PM

Just wanted to say Hi and offer

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#21 of 23 Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
It's hard in the midst to do stuff that is good for you, I totally know. IMO you should call your psych and tell them the Ambien really wasn't doing it for you and you had to take 2, but you were nervous to say so. I DOUBT they would be upset, some people need more. Like I said, they told me to take up to 1mg Xanax (2 of my pills) and 1 10 mg Ambien to sleep and if that didn't work they would try something else. They WANT you to sleep, they WANT you to do this until you "get out of the weeds." They AGREE (at least my doctors here agree.) I figure with meds, it is best to be upfront about what you are really taking so they can help you best, but I am totally passive and quiet and self-deprecating too, so I can totally understand why you didn't want to tell them. *hug*
Ok, I haven't told my pdoc about the two ambiens, mostly because I'm not taking two anymore...and I haven't in a good long bit. I take one at night and it does the trick. My next step is to take half and see where that takes me. I'm doing ok.

How are you? Are you feeling well? Take care!

#22 of 23 Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Ah ook gotcha SO that reall doesm't matter then. Glad you sleping! I am getting about 8 hours a night myself ('d like 9 but i wll do. Had a vry up down updown week here but mostly I have deal ok
#23 of 23 Old 08-14-2008, 05:24 PM

It's good that you're sleeping well. I know I'm getting out of wack, or I am out of wack, as soon as my sleep is all jazzed up. The doctors and nurses told me when I was on my psych sabaticals, that keeping a normal sleep pattern is one of the most important things one can do for themselves....then eating and using the toilet. I really need to get off the ambiens. I just refilled my Rx today but I'm hoping this will be it. I'll definately keep them on hand, but I don't like 'having' to take them, KWIM. I suppose no one likes taking any medication...so I don't know where I'm going with that. I'm going to take a half tonight and see how that goes. Ambien makes me nervous. I was given it in the fall when I was manic. I took it for two straight weeks (I wasn't sleeping much at all) and apparently, so said a doctor in the psych hospital, that is the worst thing you could give someone who is manic because it stops working at some point and actually keeps up up....which is weird. I told my current pdoc that and she doesn't agree. I don't know what to think. In any case, I was completely out of my gord at that time and nothing was putting me down at night. I'm not sure why I'm yammering about all of this. In any case, have a great weekend....chill and relax to the best of your ability!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page