Seroquel - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any info/experiences with this drug? Someone close to me may start taking it and I'd like to know more.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I took it for quite awhile. It was great for sometime, smoothed out my moods, helped me sleep. I got to a point where it just was too strong and I needed to revamp my cocktail. That's the reality of dealing with mood stabilizing drugs - some people find a regimend that works great and voila! but many need regular adjustments or changes in drugs. Hope it works for your 'someone'

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks harrietsmama

Right now he is taking only 25mg and he can barely stay awake after taking it. From what been able to find online you need to be taking the 50mg to really have it help the BP symptoms. Does this seem true for anyone? I'm also worried about mixing this script with a drink. Seems like it could be the potential for bad side effects. Its listed as avoid alcohol but for some that is harder you'd think.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camotyka View Post
I'm also worried about mixing this script with a drink. Seems like it could be the potential for bad side effects. Its listed as avoid alcohol but for some that is harder you'd think.
yes, alcohol needs to be avoided while on these types of meds.. my dh took 25 mg for only probably 2 weeks...he didn't like it all..gave him too much side effects...he wasn't taking it for bp though.

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
Old 09-04-2008, 02:23 AM

it made me trip. In a bad way. Bad, bad, bad.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

So far it seems the only thing its doing for him is making him very sleepy shortly after taking. Good thing he takes it at night. I've been come more aware of the "manic"episodes since the start of the med but that could just be that I've been doing a lot of reading on the topic of BP so I'm noticing more now. Hes still on the starting dose and thinks he may need to up that. Thoughts?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:39 PM

My DH was on it, and honestly, there wasn't much difference between 25mg and 300mg as far as the sleepiness goes, it's definitely a take at night med. I can't comment on how well it worked. It certainly kept him from the off the wall psychotic symptoms, but he isn't bipolar, and truthfully was being treated for the wrong thing for nearly a year. It's pretty normal in any case to take a long time to find the right combo of drugs. I have no good or bad input, ultimately all the anti-psychotics depressed my DH, which was the clue to finally abandon them. Once we did he got better immediately. I could see with someone who is manic this med could get part of it under control quickly since it's impossible to stay awake on it.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

It made me way way way too sleepy. like unable to function sleepy. i was always like 5 minutes behind too. lol.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:39 PM

I'm so glad that this has been posted here. A doc I saw at the ER about a week ago gave me some samples and a scrip for this stuff. I think it was 15g or 25 g or something. He didn't say much about it,but advised me to take it at work as needed whenever bad thoughts came into my head.

I'm so glad that I haven't touched the samples he gave me! I can't afford to call asleep or be sleepy at work. All he really said was it could make me sleepy.

I do like the idea of using nightly (as needed) as a sleeping pill though. He didn't diagnose me with anything,just gave the pills.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:52 PM

i posted about this on another thread just today. i took this super strong drug for a very short while, it was prescribed to help me over a rough patch when i had a late miscarriage with twins. hardcore stuff. yes, it knocked me out. and yes, i did have an experience with alcohol. i dont drink much and hadnt really thought about the fact that this drug might interact with it. new years eve i went to a party. i was with dp and ds. certainly had no intention on getting drunk with ds in my care. i drank two drinks....coke mixed with crown royal, in a largish cup. like i said, i dont drink much, but this would not generally be too much for me. but i blacked out for the first and only time in my life. i have no memories of that night after a certain point. dp says someone came and got him and told him i was sick in the bathroom. he tells me i puked all over the bathroom, not in the toilet and that he and his mom and sister sat in the bathroom with me for a long time, talking....and then we laid down and i passed out. and then they were trying to wake me up to leave and i would not get up and dp had to carry me down a lot of steps to the car. then ds says i was freaking out in the car hollering where was he thinking we left him at the party. like i said, i have no memory of any of this. i also have a strange feeling that dp is leaving out some details. and like i said, this is from drinking only 2 drinks. i was taking the full dose of seroquel (300? cant remember), but i took it at night, so the last dose would have been the night before. that stuff is REALLY strong and I never should have been taking it in the first place. it also made me gain a good bit of weight and was a pain to taper/wean off of and sleeping was hard for a while after that.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 PM

Oh wow! I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with it. Didn't your doctor tell you that you shouldn't be drinking at all with it? I get so mad when doctors don't give enough advice or start you at a high dose.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
I'm so glad that this has been posted here. A doc I saw at the ER about a week ago gave me some samples and a scrip for this stuff. I think it was 15g or 25 g or something. He didn't say much about it,but advised me to take it at work as needed whenever bad thoughts came into my head.
OMG! I can't even imagine taking it during the day. That is dangerous if you ask me, especially if driving, etc.

I used to take it at night for sleep. I took 25mg and it knocked me out.
Although it was strong, at the time it's what I needed.
I quit taking it just to see how my sleeping was going and I actually was doing better. Also, I couldn't really wake up in the night if dd needed me....or at least the first half of the night...and dh does not wake up easily anyway.

I don't have any advice about higher doses for anything but sleep though.

Oh, but for cryin' out loud NEVER drink while taking it. I would have a drink once in a great while but I would skip my meds that night. I only did it a couple times a year. But if you do drink and take it, when you drink one drink it will be as if you had 3 or more drinks.

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
Old 10-29-2008, 03:26 AM
Banned

I had a bad reaction to Seroquel several years ago. It literally knocked me unconscious for over 24 hours and when I woke up I had a stage 1 pressure ulcer. I ended up staying on it for a few months to see if the side effects would get better but quit because it made too tired to function and caused me to gain about 40lbs.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:53 PM

It's so interesting how different drugs effect individuals so differently. My Dh is bi-polar and Seroquel has really rocked for him. He and his psych tried many different drugs and combos and this has ultimately been the drug that has kept him stable and had basically no side effects. He takes it only at night when he is ready to go to sleep.

User Tag List