ADD Meds for adults.... your experiences/thoughts? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 141 Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honestly, from the reviews I've read it seems like everyone's experiences with particular medications vary wildly. I'm happy with Concerta right now, but I think I'll be asking for a dose adjustment next time I go in...but so far no negative side effects at all. I think what will probably happen is the doc (either your GP or the psych) will prescribe the medication they're most familiar with, and change it only if you have a preference or if you start experiencing side-effects.
#62 of 141 Old 10-21-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemoms View Post
Honestly, from the reviews I've read it seems like everyone's experiences with particular medications vary wildly. I'm happy with Concerta right now, but I think I'll be asking for a dose adjustment next time I go in...but so far no negative side effects at all. I think what will probably happen is the doc (either your GP or the psych) will prescribe the medication they're most familiar with, and change it only if you have a preference or if you start experiencing side-effects.
Very true about differences. Again, I like my GP but I don't like them for giving rx's related to anything like this. I just think that psychiatrists are more trustworthy b.c that's ALL they deal with.

Also, it's lame that we can only have what's on the formulary.

So, how do you you feel differently after the Concerta? do others close to you know about it? do they notice any change?
#63 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 01:09 AM

I was dx'd 8 years ago, took ritalin back then, went off to get pregnant, dx'd with anxiety disorder and put on Paxil for one year, then on nothing for 5 yrs. I returned to work (special ed teacher), and while ADD is great for certain aspects of my job, it is not so for others (paperwork, long meetings).

So I went to the psychiatrist and started Concerta a few months ago. I really have done well on it. I can converse with adults, complete tasks, and only felt "buzzed" the first couple of days. I think it is working for me. I also have more patience and am calmer during stressful times. I feel much more functional.

L.
#64 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherette View Post
I was dx'd 8 years ago, took ritalin back then, went off to get pregnant, dx'd with anxiety disorder and put on Paxil for one year, then on nothing for 5 yrs. I returned to work (special ed teacher), and while ADD is great for certain aspects of my job, it is not so for others (paperwork, long meetings).

So I went to the psychiatrist and started Concerta a few months ago. I really have done well on it. I can converse with adults, complete tasks, and only felt "buzzed" the first couple of days. I think it is working for me. I also have more patience and am calmer during stressful times. I feel much more functional.

L.
So are you more "hyper" than spacey like me? I"m asking b/c I wonder what they base giving the certain meds on as far as targeting certain behaviors.

I can be very active and not sit down for an entire day for more than 5 minutes, but I can also be very non productive and a total time waster.

I just wondering what/if will happen when I'm seen next week.
#65 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 AM

For me, the concerta makes me feel more aware/alert (I'm pretty spacey) and therefore I'm better able to focus on completing a task or on a conversation. I do notice a better eveness to my moods, and am less likely to panic/overreact, which is really nice.
#66 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
For me, the concerta makes me feel more aware/alert (I'm pretty spacey) and therefore I'm better able to focus on completing a task or on a conversation. I do notice a better eveness to my moods, and am less likely to panic/overreact, which is really nice.
So were you given any other options or did the practitioner mention any other meds? I'm just trying to differentiate between them all.

Thanks for sharing that with me.
#67 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 12:59 PM

Yes, I started on Strattera first, because my doctor had two other female adult patients who were doing very well on the medication. I suspect it's a preferred first try for many docs because it's not a stimulant, it's an epinephrine-reuptake inhibitor. Unfortunately, I was getting heart palpitations, so I had to switch. I had told her that I heard good things about Concerta from other people, and she was happy to have me try it on the second round. Really, because so many people can react so differently to each med, I think it's really a crap-shoot...you just have to keep trying things until you find the right fit.
#68 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, I started on Strattera first, because my doctor had two other female adult patients who were doing very well on the medication. I suspect it's a preferred first try for many docs because it's not a stimulant, it's an epinephrine-reuptake inhibitor. Unfortunately, I was getting heart palpitations, so I had to switch. I had told her that I heard good things about Concerta from other people, and she was happy to have me try it on the second round. Really, because so many people can react so differently to each med, I think it's really a crap-shoot...you just have to keep trying things until you find the right fit.
Yeah, I kind of figured... kind of like anti depressants I suppose...

Do your family members know you are on the med? if so, what do they think?
#69 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 01:07 PM

Well, my partner does, but she was skeptical about the ADHD thing to begin with. We're going through a rough patch right now and I don't think she'd notice if the meds were making me walk on my hands, to be honest. I haven't told any other family/friends yet, but only because it's still kind of new and I wanted to see how it goes first. I have no problem disclosing the information, though, and will talk freely about it with anyone who asks or who I feel would benefit from knowing. No shame.

ETA: I think it's a sign of strength to recognize and seek help for any issue, and this is one of those times. I'm proud of myself for following through and working on this problem.
#70 of 141 Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Well, my partner does, but she was skeptical about the ADHD thing to begin with. We're going through a rough patch right now and I don't think she'd notice if the meds were making me walk on my hands, to be honest. I haven't told any other family/friends yet, but only because it's still kind of new and I wanted to see how it goes first. I have no problem disclosing the information, though, and will talk freely about it with anyone who asks or who I feel would benefit from knowing. No shame.

ETA: I think it's a sign of strength to recognize and seek help for any issue, and this is one of those times. I'm proud of myself for following through and working on this problem.
Sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch I know how that is! It's really hard. At times I feel as if I'm a single parent. We have so little time together that's not with DS and I only work on Saturdays. Then when DH is home I'm in class 3x per week and he's with DS and when I get home they are both already asleep. I know it won't be this way forever but for the past few years it's been hard. When I told DH I think I have ADD I thought he'd think I was joking and just laugh but he said "you probably do". It was a relief b/c I'm not the kind of person who likes slapping dx's on myself or others at the drop of a hat. I used to have a friend like that and it drove me nuts. Actually, SHE claimed she was ADD but I never put much stock in that b/c she was chronically dx ing herself!

Oh boy, that was a total digression!

Anyway, thx for mentioning what you said about recognizing this as a sign of strength. I feel like I can have a bit more control now if I look at things differently now and get help.
#71 of 141 Old 11-01-2008, 02:02 AM

I don't have time for a long reply right now, but I have been through all this! Diagnosed maybe a year and a half ago (though I have days I doubt the diagnosis still... then other days I am so completely sure of it!!)

I simply wanted to add that many people have to go through several meds or dosings to find what works for them, so you should try not to get discouraged if meds do not work out right away.

I started with wellbutrin- no difference, then couldn't sleep at all.
I tried concerta, hated it.
Tried Adderall, did not like it.
Went on Stratterra. It took a few weeks, but I saw a change. Mostly, I was just less frustrated, less annoyed, and as a bonus had much less PMS symptoms.

After a while, I started adding in Adderall, just a small dose twice a day. The combo works well for me.

I am a little worried about relying on the adderall for energy I have to admit. Meaning, I tend to just not be really "with it" until I take my adderall. Then again, I keep reminding myself I wasn't really "with it" until I had almost a pot of coffee.

I don't know what my feelings will be about adhd and meds etc in a year, for now this is working well for me.

Good luck to all of you!

If nobody has mentioned it, I love the book Women With ADD by Sari Solden. I have pretty much read it all by now, a couple pages at a time, and not in order lol.
#72 of 141 Old 11-01-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridley13 View Post
I don't have time for a long reply right now, but I have been through all this! Diagnosed maybe a year and a half ago (though I have days I doubt the diagnosis still... then other days I am so completely sure of it!!)

I simply wanted to add that many people have to go through several meds or dosings to find what works for them, so you should try not to get discouraged if meds do not work out right away.

I started with wellbutrin- no difference, then couldn't sleep at all.
I tried concerta, hated it.
Tried Adderall, did not like it.
Went on Stratterra. It took a few weeks, but I saw a change. Mostly, I was just less frustrated, less annoyed, and as a bonus had much less PMS symptoms.

After a while, I started adding in Adderall, just a small dose twice a day. The combo works well for me.

I am a little worried about relying on the adderall for energy I have to admit. Meaning, I tend to just not be really "with it" until I take my adderall. Then again, I keep reminding myself I wasn't really "with it" until I had almost a pot of coffee.

I don't know what my feelings will be about adhd and meds etc in a year, for now this is working well for me.

Good luck to all of you!

If nobody has mentioned it, I love the book Women With ADD by Sari Solden. I have pretty much read it all by now, a couple pages at a time, and not in order lol.
Thanks so much for sharing that. So who made your dx? I am waiting to hear if/when I can see the psych my DH sees. I still don't get how they give rx's dep. on either ADHD or ADD. I mean, I don;t have the *h*, but I have the rest. I feel more with it and more productive the more "up" I am.

I am going to chk out that book you talked about. Thanks!
#73 of 141 Old 11-03-2008, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie View Post
MamaRBH:

I'm so sorry. Sounds like you have a case of *I am going to make myself feel bad about about me*. Which, you shouldn't b/c it sounds like you have a lot of responsibility. I only have one child (Aspergers) and he's ENOUGH. I can't even imagine having two. I've always felt like a loser for that. It's like, as soon as I gave birth to him I got barraged from all sides WHENAREYOUGOINGTOHAVEANOTHER???????? Please, let me just enjoy him! then he turned our world upside down anyway b/c he was having such a hard time with sensory stuff and we didn't even know til he was almost 3 yrs old.

I digressed...

I think that you are doing a lot and it's A LOT to take care of 3 kids! sounds like you just need to make huge signs for yourself by the door, or leave yourself a box in front of the door. What I do is as I am getting ready I just keep putting all that I need in front of the door so I don't forget stuff!

Are you getting counseling or just doing the meds? maybe that would help? are you working as well or?

I hope you are having better days...

For some reason I haven't been getting email updates on this thread. I'll have to re-subscribe.

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner.

Yeah, I truly need to consider tools in addition to medication. I was supposed to start therapy this past Thursday but I flaked out. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread but in May I had a heart procedure done - they had to keep me awake for it and I ended up going into cardiac arrest....I was awake and the fear of looking at the end of my life was so intense words can't describe it....all I could think about was leaving my children behind...while my body was thrashing on and off the table I asked "Am I going to die?" and no one could tell me "no." They ended up using the paddles to bring me back....I woke up an hour later with burns on my chest. My ADHD has been worse since. I'm sure it's because my anxiety increased which just adds more to my already busy mind. My Pshychiatrist thinks I should go to therpay for post traumatic stress disorder and to work on tools to manage the ADHD. But I flaked.

Essie - I thought I was just ADD, too....but I found out they are defined much differently than I imagined. Hyperactivity presents in a lot of different ways. I have a generally very laid-back personality. My hyperactivity presents in my home management (cleaning and such) as well as in my thoughts and impulses. I always thought the "H" = spaz...lol... turns out I'm a spaz. Maybe you are, too.

wannabemoms....if it means anything, I'm proud of you.

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#74 of 141 Old 11-04-2008, 03:33 AM

[QUOTE=

Yeah, I truly need to consider tools in addition to medication. I was supposed to start therapy this past Thursday but I flaked out. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread but in May I had a heart procedure done - they had to keep me awake for it and I ended up going into cardiac arrest....I was awake and the fear of looking at the end of my life was so intense words can't describe it....all I could think about was leaving my children behind...while my body was thrashing on and off the table I asked "Am I going to die?" and no one could tell me "no." They ended up using the paddles to bring me back....I woke up an hour later with burns on my chest. My ADHD has been worse since. I'm sure it's because my anxiety increased which just adds more to my already busy mind. My Pshychiatrist thinks I should go to therpay for post traumatic stress disorder and to work on tools to manage the ADHD. But I flaked.

Essie - I thought I was just ADD, too....but I found out they are defined much differently than I imagined. Hyperactivity presents in a lot of different ways. I have a generally very laid-back personality. My hyperactivity presents in my home management (cleaning and such) as well as in my thoughts and impulses. I always thought the "H" = spaz...lol... turns out I'm a spaz. Maybe you are, too.

wannabemoms....if it means anything, I'm proud of you. [/QUOTE]

Yikes! I am so sorry to hear about your surgery! that sounds unbelievably scary. And it sounds scarier than getting the help it sounds like you need so I hope you can do that for yourself! How is your health now?

Very interesting about what you say about the *h* in the ADD! My DH is furious with me right now b.c I decided the other day to chop down a butterfly bush that I hate in our yard. I told him I would do it and he didn't want me to. I just was out there with DS and I just went for it. It's like when I get my mind set; I can really complete a task, even if it's not the most important thing at the moment!

It's possible I could be a spaz, yes. I have a phone appt. with my GP in a few days. I met with her about the ADD and she wants me to see mental health. How do they even dx this? do you just answer questions or?

How are the meds working for you?

Have you heard of a book another poster mentioned called Women and ADD? I have it on hold at the library!

Thank you for saying you're proud of me! It *is* worth a lot BTW! and I am proud of you for going through that surgery. What courage you must have!
#75 of 141 Old 11-04-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRBH View Post
That's my kind of "H" too...

Quote:
wannabemoms....if it means anything, I'm proud of you.
Thank you!

And may I say, "holy crap!!!" what a scary, horrible experience for you!!! Stop flaking and go talk to someone about this stuff dude!

And on a completely different "hey-look-at-me" note, Guess what? I was home sick yesterday (not really relevant, but still) and DW was home too. We played board games for over 12 hours straight, really not stopping except to grab a quite sandwich or pee. While you are all probably thinking "GEEK" and "SO WHAT?" this is actually a big deal. Normally I can't play even one game without having to get up and do something (you know, random thing that pops into my head) every 5 minutes or so and can never play for more than an hour or two at a time before my attention is SO gone that I'm flat-out obnoxious. OVER 12 HOURS!!! And I paid attention!!! Wow. We only stopped because it was late and I had to work this morning. Even DW commented how amazing it was...she loves board games, so she was in total heaven!
#76 of 141 Old 11-04-2008, 04:15 PM

Things I s/b doing right now;

working out
studying
eating breakfast

Anyway...

I'm wondering how you all are affected by the ADD/ADHD in your jobs, relationships, free time, etc.

I feel like I waste an insane amount of time and have to concept of time management. This has always been a problem for me.

I KNOW I've been let go from jobs b/c of my lack of productivity. At home I just jump from one thing to another and I still feel like I accomplish little. I feel the most productive when I have an appt. away from the house and then I can combine it with say, seeing a math tutor. I read about that concept of forcing yourself to be around others so you are more productive and I think that works for me! That's why I know I do better where I work at the pharmacy b/c I can't just hide in a cube and surf the web all day! What do you guys do for work?

This is just rambling, but posting to this thread has really made me feel a lot better and I've learned that I'm not a freak. This is how I feel much of the time, and I now feel that it's such a relief to chat with you all.

So I guess I am saying;

THANK YOU
#77 of 141 Old 11-04-2008, 05:55 PM

I have a horrible desk job in a cube where, unless I'm in a meeting on suddenly on a crunched deadline, I'm probably daydreaming or on da interwebz. Getting better now, though. I'm making checklists and actually using them. :shock: But I'm going to run away and go back to school soooooooo....it should be better then.

"I feel like I waste an insane amount of time and have to concept of time management. This has always been a problem for me." Yup.

"At home I just jump from one thing to another and I still feel like I accomplish little." Yup. Huge source of frustration for me.
#78 of 141 Old 11-04-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, me three.

#79 of 141 Old 11-04-2008, 07:15 PM

Again, do you feel that the meds can break through the "fog", or the brain farts or whatever the heck you want to call them? Sometimes I watch squirrels zoom around and bury the nuts they will never find again. They are so hyper and are always busy or just sitting there stunned breathing at a crazy rate. This is exactly how I feel!
#80 of 141 Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Essie, sorry I missed a couple of your questions....

Yes, the meds do help get out of the fog, but not for a full 24 hours. I find that 8am-3pm are my most productive times. After 3pm I am back to spaz-state. That said - I'm not certain this med or dose is exactly what I need. My pysch is really cool about working through this slowly and with an open mind....she's confident we'll get it right with some tweaking.

The person you see for prescriptions will ask you a lot of questions. Based on your answers she can best decide which form of the meds are best for you...stimulants aren't a good option for people who are prone to addiction, anxiety, depression, violent temper, etc.. Then once they decide which might be best for you, I agree with Crystal - they'll likely prescribe the one they are most familiar with. You'll go from there with follow-up visits to discuss side effects, doses, changes of meds, a need for therpay, etc.

I work from home and I am sad to say that if I was better able to focus, I would be contributing to my family's finances so much more. (and that truth leads me to feel like a total failure....which in-turn makes it harder to focus and succeed.... which is a part of the disorder, as well.) When I worked in an office environment I was more productive because my job was very active....I had to be up looking for files and making sure doctors were fully informed on patients before walking into the exam room. At home - I end up doing laundry, cleaning, re-arranging, emailing, starting things I don't finish, etc.

#81 of 141 Old 11-05-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Essie, sorry I missed a couple of your questions....

Yes, the meds do help get out of the fog, but not for a full 24 hours. I find that 8am-3pm are my most productive times. After 3pm I am back to spaz-state. That said - I'm not certain this med or dose is exactly what I need. My pysch is really cool about working through this slowly and with an open mind....she's confident we'll get it right with some tweaking.

The person you see for prescriptions will ask you a lot of questions. Based on your answers she can best decide which form of the meds are best for you...stimulants aren't a good option for people who are prone to addiction, anxiety, depression, violent temper, etc.. Then once they decide which might be best for you, I agree with Crystal - they'll likely prescribe the one they are most familiar with. You'll go from there with follow-up visits to discuss side effects, doses, changes of meds, a need for therpay, etc.

I work from home and I am sad to say that if I was better able to focus, I would be contributing to my family's finances so much more. (and that truth leads me to feel like a total failure....which in-turn makes it harder to focus and succeed.... which is a part of the disorder, as well.) When I worked in an office environment I was more productive because my job was very active....I had to be up looking for files and making sure doctors were fully informed on patients before walking into the exam room. At home - I end up doing laundry, cleaning, re-arranging, emailing, starting things I don't finish, etc.
Hey, thanks so much for your reply. So you worked in medical before and now you work from home? what do you do? if you don't mind me asking...

Well, my GP was asking if I felt depressed and saw me for depression in the past. I said I think I get depressed b/c of the effects of what are ADD! It's like what you mentioned about not being productive and then feeling crappy about oneself, which creates a bad self image. It's a horrible and lonely cycle. I told her that I think I just never realized that I am depressed BECAUSE these things I do and think are a negative cycle and IT creates depression.

Also, my Dr. knows me but it's not like I see her more than once per year. She only has a snapshot of my life, so I think it wouldn't be appropriate for her to give and rx or dx. Luckily she agrees.

Well, I have really gained a lot from these discussions with all of you here and I really appreciate it. I look forward to the responses!

Thank you
#82 of 141 Old 11-06-2008, 04:11 AM

So I talked to my doctor today (phone appt.) she said that she discussed me with a psychiatrist (colleague) and that since mental health is so backed up she is recommending a therapeutic trial of meds--specifically Ritalin 5 mg 2x per day. This is while I am waiting to be seen by mental health!

She said that if there's an effect of calming and focus the meds would be right. If I feel jittery or anything like that it's not right and they'd move onto the next one.

I am open to trying this, but admit it kind of freaks me out. Why do I feel like a meth person all of a sudden? meth is totally just a junk pile of drugs like speed right? and Ritalin has beeen around forever. That's the reason they start with that one (doc said). The crappy part is that my HMO doesn't have samples so I will have to pay $15 for each rx.

I guess if it's worth it I will find out.

I know that there are different responses for each person, but I wondered if I could have feedback from you all. You have been so helpful.

Thanks!
#83 of 141 Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Well, you won't know what works unless you try something. Ritalin HAS been around forever and it's a good starting point. The bottom line is, it may not work for you, in which case you consider it a lesson learned and move on to the next option. It's going to be trial and error, no matter what you do. If you're REALLY lucky, the Ritalin will work well and you'll be all set. The first med I tried, although it slowed me down, gave me heart palpitations and increased my resting heart rate, which I did NOT like. The one I'm on now gives me focus and keeps my energy at a more constant rate during the day, which I like. I'm going to stick with it for a bit, but I'm not 100% sure this is the best solution (either drug type or dose, we'll have to see) for me. It's good enough for now, but I suspect I'll need to tweak it.
#84 of 141 Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 AM

I'm crashing this thread, just to let you know that as the spouse of a person with ADD, who is on a long acting Ritalin daily (has to be brand name too, the generic did weird things to him and gave him wicked headaches), it has made such a difference in his life, and in our marriage - he was dxd by a neuropsych, and is maintained by his FP. Since it's a controlled substance, he can only get 1 month at a time, and it's $50 a month even with insurance, but it is SO worth it.

His neuropsych told him basically, "If this is what you need, you'll know right away because you'll feel yourself come down and center. If it's not right for you, you'll be bouncing off the walls." and he was right. There was a noticeable difference in him to me, and to himself, very soon after starting it. Sometimes he doesn't take it on weekends, and I can tell when he doesn't by about lunchtime. He feels so much better about HIMSELF, that once he got over the "I have to take medication" hurdle, he was actually a little bit upset that he hadn't gotten himself diagnosed/treated sooner.

And uh, DH is not the kind of person who would go through diet changes to manage it; he went to therapy for a while to work out his issues surroudning it in the beginning, but the cognitive stuff just didn't do it for him either. I'm not really a "yay big pharma" person, but I do firmly believe that medications do have their purposes.

I wish you all well!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#85 of 141 Old 11-06-2008, 01:57 PM

Hey,

Thanks so much to both of you. And thanks The4ofus for mentioning the deal about brand only. This is very timely b/c I just requested brand for our Asperger son who is on a medication. Another parent just clued me in on the whole generic vs. brand thing. I thought it was not true, but now I am a believer.

Anyway...I really appreciate your input! My doc pretty much said the same thing about knowing right away if it works. With the R has your DH had any trouble sleeping? my rx is for the short acting, so we'll see what happens.

Are there any long term side effects you know of? Also, is it like Xanax in the way that you take it as needed?

Thanks so much.
#86 of 141 Old 11-06-2008, 04:05 PM

DH has had no problems with sleep at all, by the time bedtime rolls around the long acting has worn off and he's sleeping fine. As far as long term side effects, most of what I've found has been about the effects on child and adolescent brains that are still developing and fine tuning synapses, etc. , so I'm not really sure about the long term effects on an already developed adult brain (DH didn't start taking it until he was, um...33-ish?). There are concerns about addiction because it is a controlled substance, so I think you just have to be careful to find the minimum dose that works for you, and not do anything like double up because something important is going on (DH jokes about that but would never actually do it), or anything like that that could lead you down that path to abuse or addiction. DH is very responsible with his meds, so while I think there can be an addiciton concern there, I also fully believe you can also take it totally responsibly and have it do what it's supposed to do - which as I understand from DH is to clear our the blur and center you, not to make you an overachiever (i.e. taking too much or taking it if it's not right for you), or to make you a zombie. If it's the right med for you, and you find the lowest effective dose, and use it responsibly, I don't see it being any worse than any other medication simply because of its controlled substance status.

I'd just be sure that you have a list of the side effects printed off and handy so you can keep an eye out, and/or have soemone else keep an eye out too, and take it from there.

Regarding as needed vs. every day, as I said DH sometimes skips it on the weekends, because our weekends are often looser and less demanding of focus and impulse control (i.e., motormouth/not thinking before he speaks - his two big sticking points)...but those are both things he defiinitely needs at work, so he takes it every morning before he leaves for work no matter how he thinks he might do that day, KWIM? On weekends where he has a project to tackle (like recently building shelves in the basement) or if we're going somewhere and he needs to be focused/centered, he'll still take it - if we're just lounging around the house, he won't. From what I understand, it's not like an antidepressant, or like my thyroid medication where you need a steady dose in your system to maintain a therapeutic effect; however, at the same time it's not probably something you want to only take here and there or it kind of defeats the purpose of keeping you level, or steady (as DH says). So while I woulnd't say it's something that you need to have a constant stream of in your body, I also wouldn't treat it like an anxiety med where you wait for the problem and then take it to relieve symptoms...I'd make it a pretty regular thing until you see how it affects your routine, then if you know you're going to have an easy, loungy day you could skip it but if you have a day where you have stuff to get done, you'd want to be sure you had it.

Does that make sense? That's all pretty much what I've gathered from conversations with DH...I'm not an MD, so this is all just our/his experience with it.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#87 of 141 Old 11-06-2008, 05:53 PM

I just want to jump in and say THANK YOU for posting this. I was dx a few months back with "mild ADD". Was a total shock to me and I told my psych "no way. I DON'T have ADD". I was thinking ADD= hyperactive, talkative, etc...SO not me! So, I went home script free and thinking what a lunatic he is. I looked up adult ADD on the computer, and I almost cried. It was describing me to a T. Here I thought I was just spacey, certainly lazy, and messy. My room is never clean, my house is not organized, my time management...forget it. I have no time management. I can't do simple things like return phone calls, pay bills before a late notice arrives, clean off my desk, fold laundry, etc...I procrastinate on EVERYTHING, mainly because I just can't get started.
My Psych told me that I can come back and retest for free sometime, but he was pretty sure I had ADD. I told him "absolutely. I'll come back and show you I don't have ADD"...then I left his office. 10min later his secretary calls me...I left my purse in his office.

I'm ready now to look into meds. I'd always prided myself in being prescription free. And to have to take meds (and the horror of PSYCH meds) is not pleasing me, but you know what, I need my life back. My kids deserve a momma that can focus, and get tasks done. They need a less cluttered house, and a less cluttered momma.
Now, making that initial phone call...something so simple, I'll put off forever.

Oh and another thing about my psych... I was telling him that I couldn't have ADD because I had a college degree and was a straight-A student. He looked at me and said, "I have a doctorate degree, and I have ADD."
#88 of 141 Old 11-06-2008, 06:06 PM

I've got an MSc. My desks and lab areas were disaster zones (I still hear stories about all the cleaning up they made poor undergrads do after my departure)...I was always late for class, procrastinated on every report and often ended up writing things in the wee hours of the morning. I daydreamed through classes, often couldn't remember writing the notes I took during lectures...it's amazing that I pulled it off. That said, adult ADD patients are often very bright and very successful, as long as they are doing work that is interesting to them. I struggled with school until my courses got more specialized and interesting to me, and I also had my own research program which allowed me some flexibility to do things a bit haphazardly (you know, the "something shiny" syndrome..."oh, what a great idea/neat thing/cool bug, I MUST go check it out right now!" Good grades and ADD are not mutually exclusive
#89 of 141 Old 11-06-2008, 09:54 PM

Thanks wannabemoms. By the way your post about your typical day is spot-on what my typical days are like now.

Someone motivate me to call my Dr.

His name is Dr. House, which kinda makes me laugh.
#90 of 141 Old 11-07-2008, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Ladybug View Post
Thanks wannabemoms. By the way your post about your typical day is spot-on what my typical days are like now.

Someone motivate me to call my Dr.

His name is Dr. House, which kinda makes me laugh.
Just do it! easy for me to say right? I felt so much better after I actually started thinking of myself with ADD and talking to my doctor about it. It was like I could finally talk about what my shortcomings have been and have a real reason (I hope!) behind it.

I do still feel weird about trying Ritalin but I am going to give it a try. I ordered it today and should have it soon. I will let you all know how it goes.

This thread has really been constructive for me and I hope it helps you too Ms. Ladybug! You will feel better if you do something about it to help yourself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page