#121 of 141 Old 11-20-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie View Post
Crystal? what?
wannabemoms = Crystal

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#122 of 141 Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 AM

I'm a Crystal

I'll be curious to see how the short-acting works for you...I'm a tad worried about it disrupting my sleep, but I'd like to see some of the improvements I'm getting in my work place translate to my home life as well....

I was supposed to go tomorrow for my appointment, but a meeting has come up, I'll have to reschedule...I'll probably be going around the same time as you Mama.
#123 of 141 Old 11-20-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRBH View Post
wannabemoms = Crystal

Oh...slow processor running here!

BTW: question for any and all of you; do you know if you get a dx of ADD or ADHD does that qualify as having a learning disability? I was dx'd with a LD in college and it really helped me with tests. When we moved to the state we are in now I got myself tested at the local state college and they claimed I didn't have one!

I am wondering if when I have my appt. with the psychiatrist he can test me or give me proof?

Thanks!
#124 of 141 Old 11-20-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemoms View Post
I'm a Crystal

I'll be curious to see how the short-acting works for you...I'm a tad worried about it disrupting my sleep, but I'd like to see some of the improvements I'm getting in my work place translate to my home life as well....

I was supposed to go tomorrow for my appointment, but a meeting has come up, I'll have to reschedule...I'll probably be going around the same time as you Mama.
Yeah, please keep me updated, as I'll also be curious how it goes for you.

I need the more productive times to take me into 9pm'ish...so I can actually hear my DH when he speaks after the kids are in bed... in fact, I'd even take a lack of sleep if it meant I'd have the ability to offer him the ear he deserves.

Essie - with the LD. At my first appointment we discussed this.....the main reason I didn't finish my degree was because I could not focus and was frustrated which led to anxiety and depression. So my Dr. asked me at my first appointment "Do you feel like you could have done well if you could have focused, or did you feel like you couldn't have kept up with the content and thats where the frutration/anxiety came from." When I said - "Oh, I knew what we were talking about, I just couldn't pay attention long enough to take it all in nor could I manage work/study at home to succeed with papers and tests." She clarified that she asked because a lot of times ADHD and LD can be confused by both individual and professionals. She said there is detailed testing for both that goes beyond a sit-down appointment with a DX'er which would verify what it is you're dealing with. Anyway, I don't know if that helps, but I found it interesting and recalled it when reading your post just now.

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#125 of 141 Old 11-20-2008, 02:53 PM

New appointment's booked for next wednesday, will keep y'all posted on the outcome :
#126 of 141 Old 11-20-2008, 05:34 PM

I'm off to see my GP this afternoon. I didn't want to wait for the psych in Dec. It seems GP can give me something. I talked to his NP (OK, she's my step-mom), and she thinks something like Wellbutrin or Strattera would work well for me. I'm leaning toward the stimulants though, because I really think it's what I need. Let's see if I'm brave enough to ask for it though.
I'll update when I get back.
#127 of 141 Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 PM

Well my GP was really cool! I didn't want to appear "drug seeking" (Please give me stimulants...). I went in totally prepared. I typed out my symptoms, and we discussed the tests I took for ADD (done by psychologist a few mos back). He discussed the different medications, and he wrote me a script for Adderall XR. He wants me to start with 10mg, and work my way up if needed to 20mg. He's OK with taking breaks (weekends off if I don't need it).
So, I'll start tomorrow. I look forward to feeling normal!
#128 of 141 Old 11-25-2008, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Ladybug View Post
Well my GP was really cool! I didn't want to appear "drug seeking" (Please give me stimulants...). I went in totally prepared. I typed out my symptoms, and we discussed the tests I took for ADD (done by psychologist a few mos back). He discussed the different medications, and he wrote me a script for Adderall XR. He wants me to start with 10mg, and work my way up if needed to 20mg. He's OK with taking breaks (weekends off if I don't need it).
So, I'll start tomorrow. I look forward to feeling normal!
Hey, how's it going for you? I just switched from Ritalin short acting to Adderall short acting. I wasn't liking the R b/c I noticed that at the end of the day I'd feel really tired and then when it came to go to bed I wouldn't be able to fall asleep.

I can't tell yet with the Ad b/c it's only been 2 days. I do notice that it's causing some not so fun things like thirst, and causing me to use the bathroom quite a bit ahem---and it's not pee! sorry to be blunt but I think we are all here to learn right?

Anyway, I will be interested to see how you do Ladybug. Keep us posted!
#129 of 141 Old 11-25-2008, 03:22 PM

It's hard to say so far. I only started taking it last Friday, then I didn't take it on the weekend. I can't say that I "feel" anything, but I guess just more focus. I will say that on Friday I cleaned my whole house...for me that is a BIG DEAL! I keep thinking that maybe that was a placebo effect. On Monday, I took it, and was pretty productive at work, but by the time I came home, I was tired, and lazy-bones again. It definately doesn't last me the entire day.
#130 of 141 Old 11-26-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Ladybug View Post
It's hard to say so far. I only started taking it last Friday, then I didn't take it on the weekend. I can't say that I "feel" anything, but I guess just more focus. I will say that on Friday I cleaned my whole house...for me that is a BIG DEAL! I keep thinking that maybe that was a placebo effect. On Monday, I took it, and was pretty productive at work, but by the time I came home, I was tired, and lazy-bones again. It definately doesn't last me the entire day.
Interesting that it doesn't last the whole day. Aren't you taking the XR?

Do you have any side effects?
#131 of 141 Old 11-26-2008, 04:10 PM

Yes. I'm taking the XR. Certainly doesn't last me the whole day. I tried taking it later in the day between 10-12 to see if it takes me into the evening, but it doesn't. I may want to take a 10mg IR for the late afternoons, maybe that would help?
No side effects (I honestly was hoping for the appetite supression). Sad to say, yesterday I took 20mg...and nothing. I was spacey, and had a horrible time concentrating at work. I could up it to 30mg, but I think I'll give it a few more days at 20.
#132 of 141 Old 11-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
I was diagnosed with Adult ADD and took meds (Adderall) for it for five years. This was on top of ten years of taking multiple antidepressants.

Just like the antidepressant meds, the ADD meds brought temporary relief of some symptoms. However, they also brought new symptoms (side effects) that had to be dealt with, sometimes by other Rx meds that led to other nasty side effects... a vicious cycle.

In the long run I found out that the reason I had depression symptoms and ADD symptoms was because I had an autoimmune thyroid disease and food allergies and chemical intolerances. I am working on healing all of those and have not taken any medications now for almost 4 years.

I think there are many, many people who fit the "Adult ADD checklist." But I no longer believe it is a valid diagnosis for most of those people. I think it is a symptom, not a cause.

Drastically changing my diet brought far more change--and lasting change--than being on antidepressants and ADD meds. A great place to start is to read the book The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. There are many alternative ways to treat the kind of symptoms you have, instead of meds that alter your brain chemistry.
They gave me Adderall for adult ADD, when in fact I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism, a sleep disorder and adrenal fatigue. I was so exhausted I couldn't stay awake and I couldn't think straight, and adderall just made me lose weight and become more short tempered and bitchy, like I needed help in that department. I still fell asleep constantly and couldn't think straight. And I would literally crave my next dose.

It was years before I was properly diagnosed and Adderall was one of the things that helped make me sicker. It's legalized speed, plain and simple.

I know there are some people who need it, but I'd do everything you could to be absolutely sure you were one of them before taking it. It's nasty stuff.

for intuitive readings click here :
#133 of 141 Old 11-26-2008, 05:08 PM

Subbing!

I suspect that my DH might have a form of ADD (when he was a kid he was diagnosed with it and it seems to me like he still has a mild case of it) and I am starting to think our oldest DD might have it as well. We are totally against meds for her but I am wondering if meds might help my DH!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#134 of 141 Old 11-27-2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
They gave me Adderall for adult ADD, when in fact I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism, a sleep disorder and adrenal fatigue. I was so exhausted I couldn't stay awake and I couldn't think straight, and adderall just made me lose weight and become more short tempered and bitchy, like I needed help in that department. I still fell asleep constantly and couldn't think straight. And I would literally crave my next dose.

It was years before I was properly diagnosed and Adderall was one of the things that helped make me sicker. It's legalized speed, plain and simple.

I know there are some people who need it, but I'd do everything you could to be absolutely sure you were one of them before taking it. It's nasty stuff.
I am really glad you found the source of your symptoms, and can see the points you are making. I would like to know what you mean when you say Adderall made you sicker. What happened?

I am honestly waiting to see what happens at my psych appt. and am trying the meds to get through this rough patch I am going through. There's no way I will take this stuff long term. I agree that you need to dig deeper than just meds. I know that my challenges are not allergy or health based, and am searching for answers.
#135 of 141 Old 11-27-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I am really glad you found the source of your symptoms, and can see the points you are making. I would like to know what you mean when you say Adderall made you sicker. What happened?
Adderall further stresses the adrenals, making you more exhausted, which only makes adrenal fatigue worse. Plus you have to deal with amphetamine withdrawal. Any stimulant is going to make adrenal fatigue worse.

I spent years living on coffee, cigarettes and amphetamines when all I needed was thyroid hormones, cortisol and sleep. And every doctor I saw just wanted to give me antidepressants, tranquilizers and more amphetamines. It's a wonder I didn't have a heart attack or a stroke. :

for intuitive readings click here :
#136 of 141 Old 11-28-2008, 08:55 PM

thought i'd bring this thread back to life...as i have many questions as well.

i have been dx'd ADD as well in the past...that and rapid cycling bipolar and borderline personality disorder...i've tried antidepressants of all sorts...no help. i've tried ritalin. put me to sleep. depakote didn't do squat but make me gain weight and give me cankles. so. what next. what helps w/ low energy as i struggle w/ this so much...and what is safer during nursing?????!!!! thanx
#137 of 141 Old 11-28-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublyblessed View Post
thought i'd bring this thread back to life...as i have many questions as well.

i have been dx'd ADD as well in the past...that and rapid cycling bipolar and borderline personality disorder...i've tried antidepressants of all sorts...no help. i've tried ritalin. put me to sleep. depakote didn't do squat but make me gain weight and give me cankles. so. what next. what helps w/ low energy as i struggle w/ this so much...and what is safer during nursing?????!!!! thanx
Have you tried seeing a naturopathic dr.? I think one thing you could do safely and that would be good anyway is taking massive doses of good quality fish oil like Nordic Naturals or Spectrum or Carlson. I take it and so does my son. My teacher who is a pharmacist is always touting fish oil and he's of the naturopathic slant.

I hope you are feeling better.
#138 of 141 Old 11-29-2008, 12:31 AM

can't afford to go that route right now...unfortunately (naturopathic dr.) but...

just before i read this i was looking up the info on how much fish oil to take... here is what i have:

life extension mega epa/dha. it says in 2 soft gels is: epa 730 mg and dha 480 mg. says i can take it up to 3x daily. so. if i have bipolar/ADD how much would i need to really feel better??? someone mentioned 1200 mg or 1500 mg... well i'll take it 3x daily and see how i feel. i'm so agitated and down lately it is awful. thank you for your reply!!!

Quote:
Have you tried seeing a naturopathic dr.? I think one thing you could do safely and that would be good anyway is taking massive doses of good quality fish oil like Nordic Naturals or Spectrum or Carlson. I take it and so does my son. My teacher who is a pharmacist is always touting fish oil and he's of the naturopathic slant.

I hope you are feeling better.
#139 of 141 Old 11-29-2008, 03:03 AM

I thought I'd throw my hat into this discussion. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 21, at the suggestion of a college professor. I took a whole battery of tests with a psychologist and I performed better than less that 1% of the population. I was kind of offended. I thought I did really well on the tests and was kind of overwhelmed with the results, you know? Like this isn't just a personality quirk? I'm that messed up?

I took Ritalin for a couple of weeks. It took my appetite away so totally that I nearly passed out at work and started vomitting foam and realized that I hadn't eaten or had anything to drink for three days. The think is that I didn't even feel hungry or thirsty. It also killed my creativity. I was an English major at the time and got the lowest scored on papers during that time. I would literally forget words and have to sit with a dictionary in my lap while writing. What's that word? It begins with a "C" and I'd have to turn to the dictionary and look at every last "C" work to find it. It so totally sucked.

Then I went on Dexedrine and apparently that is really hardcore. It used to be a street drug, I was told. My PCP forced me to go on birth control pills in order to prescribe me it. It worked really well. Took away a bit of my appetite, but none of my creativity. At the same time, I was a little scared of it, so really worked on non-med coping skills, actually learned to love my non-medicated ADD brain, and took the medication only when needed (to study for a test, to write a paper) and ended up going off of it eventually.

But now that I have kids, it's not just about me anymore. I can't flit through life by the seat of my pants. It's affecting my children. I really want to get back on meds, but am BFing. I think that Strattera is the only ADD med that is not counter-indicated for BFing. Is that right?

Essentially, I am a master procrastinator. I am in school again right now and wait until the night before to do extremely large projects and get so angry and frustrated when my children want something so ridiculous as dinner while I'm working. I am just about the most impatient and irritable person I know. This manifests a lot with the kids. I get so frustrated that the kids can't remember stuff that I've just told them or taught them, and it's not fair to them. A kid's not going to learn to read overnight, but man, I get so frustrated with it all.

Case in point. I cannot wait in lines. Cannot. I am that agitated person pacing around shooting people the evil eye and finally giving up when I'm next in line. Also, the first time I was in college, I left the state 1 credit from earning my degree. One credit, people!! How insane is that? I just couldn't take it any longer.

I also have absolutely no concept of time. I can get so lost in some things, some more useful than others, and have no idea how long I've been at it. I totally zone into my own world and while I'm living in my own brain, the whole world could fall apart around me and I wouldn't notice.

As an anecdotal illustration, I once worked in a large doctors office as an appointment scheduler. Every person working there had to take a TB test and I was excluded because I was pregnant. Anyway, every person working there (about 30+ people in all) gathered around my desk, which was rather central to the office, and got TB tests. Later, they gathered to get them read and I was like "What's going on?" and they're like "We're getting our TB tests read" and I'm like "Whaaaat? What TB test?" and there's like "we were all gathered around your desk the other day" and I was like "I must have been on lunch" and they said no, you were there. I said "Oh, I must have been on the phone" and they said no, you were just sitting there. It actually kind of freaked me out that so much activity could occur around me and I'd be so oblivious to it. Now that I'm a mother, I wonder if my kids are truly safe when they are out with me.

Oh, and the anger...the anger. I hate that part the most. Ugh...

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#140 of 141 Old 11-29-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublyblessed View Post
can't afford to go that route right now...unfortunately (naturopathic dr.) but...

just before i read this i was looking up the info on how much fish oil to take... here is what i have:

life extension mega epa/dha. it says in 2 soft gels is: epa 730 mg and dha 480 mg. says i can take it up to 3x daily. so. if i have bipolar/ADD how much would i need to really feel better??? someone mentioned 1200 mg or 1500 mg... well i'll take it 3x daily and see how i feel. i'm so agitated and down lately it is awful. thank you for your reply!!!
I hear you on the cost of alternative treatment. I would give the fish oil a try. You can even get a decent one at Costco that says that it's been tested for purity and they use wild caught fish, and levels of pcb's, mercury, and dioxins are close to undetectable. I'm not sure about what could be too much but I know you need a lot for it to have an effect on bi-polar.

I found these sites; I hope they help. It must be really hard living with that and I"m sorry! my heart goes out to you. Are you taking any meds right now?

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/drug...ar-ii-disorder

http://www.psycheducation.org/depres...ds/Omega-3.htm
#141 of 141 Old 12-27-2008, 03:44 PM

I decided to go back on ADD meds after about 8 years. My doc and I decided on vyvanse.

I WOHM, my DH works too many hours and often isnt motivated/interested in helping arounf the house, and have a 2 1/2 year old and 7 month old.

As a special ed teacher - I thought long and hard about doing this - I see what the meds do for my students. Some -it makes them into different people for the BEST and others not so much.

Right now - its working well -almost too well. I have turned into a functioning machine - cleaning the house, organizing, doing freezer cooking, making home made baby food etc. But Im missing something emotionally.

We will see -

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page