Talk to me about Lexapro for my DC Update post #9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2008, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, please do not make this into a debate about IF my child should be on medications.. I'm having a difficult enough time accepting it myself.. but after 4 plus years of every other therapy out there (from diet to suppliments to play therapy to behavioral interventions etc) there isn't any other choice at this point.. and he needs something.

My 7 1/2 year old son has anxiety issues that are so "big" right now they are impacting his ability to fuction in school.. to learn.. to socialize.. to even just be there..

Nothing else has helped enough to keep us from this decision.. reluctantly.. we are trying medication..

The Dr wants to start him on Lexapro.. 1/4 of a 5mg tablet to start.. working up to 1 5 mg tablet over the course of a month.. taken once a day.

We tried zoloft when he was younger and he is in the small % of people for whome Zoloft causes hyperactivity and other adverse effects.. It is our hope that this drug doesn't do the same.

What do I need to know about this med?.. other than the very scary black box warning and the fact that I am giving a child strong medications.. which when I think about it makes me want to puke... I know that he needs this..deep down.. rationally.. he cannot fucntion and this is no way for a child to live..but man.. it hurts emotionally...to come to this point..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 05:22 PM

I don't have advice but wanted to offer support. I guess just stay really in tuned with how he's feeling physically and emotionally so you can help determine how things are going.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Old 10-11-2008, 12:15 AM

huggs.

Sounds like you really have tried everything. Unfortunately, it's hard to comment on because it's generally an adult medication. Sounds like your doctor has a plan though and you know what to look for as far as problems go and how it may effect him. Go for what works. I think that's most important. Most people will say they don't want to take meds but are thrilled when they work wonders.

I hope it works wonders for you son.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
My 7 1/2 year old son has anxiety issues that are so "big" right now they are impacting his ability to fuction in school.. to learn.. to socialize.. to even just be there..

Does he need to go to school? Seems like most of the stuff you wrote about are school related traumas. If he needs medication to go to school, maybe he needs to not be in school. I realize I am probably oversimplifying your situation but that's what struck me about your post. I have had a child who had anxiety issues which were almost completely resolved when we took him out of school. He is 19 now.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:33 AM

I sometimes wonder how my life would have been different...better, in fact, if I had been on medication as a child. I spent my youth in a constant state of anxiety.

Remember that the only reason we don't have data regarding medication in young children is that no one is willing to take the risk to do the studies. This does not mean that some medications don't work wonderfully for some young people.

I hope this is the one that helps your son
Old 10-14-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Does he need to go to school? Yes.. right now he does..I am honest when I say that, at this time, I cannot homeschool him. There are piles and piles of baggage that is going on in our lives that would make it very difficult to homeschool him and do him justice..

His difficulties are not isolated to school.. they manifest at home.. making life difficult for everyone... including him.. they manifest at out of school activities, parties, events, story hour.. He can't go to camp (day), swim lessons, birthday parties, playdates without signifigant issues due to his anxiety and the behaviors it triggers..

He has a hard time shutting down his ruminating.. his cycle of negative thinking.. Just this am he sat at the breakfast table and expressed his sadness at the passing of his grandmother (in April), how she was not able to attend his birthday (her passing was 2 days after his birthday and on the day of his party), how he'll never have a happy birthday again, how he missed her at his sister's party this weekend.. this then progressed to sadness at the death of our two pets this year, the loss of two of our chickens, his terror at the tornado we experienced here this summer, his concern that it would happen again, what would happen to his stuff..
By the time the bus came he was beside himself.. and nothing.. nothing I did could help stop the cycle..

It is frightening to see my child struggle with this...
Old 10-15-2008, 01:13 PM

Old 11-05-2008, 04:03 AM

I'm dealing with the same thing w/ my 7 yr old (dd).

If you don't mind, what other therapies have you tried for him, thus far? We can't medicate dd until her diagnosis, which, of course, is months off. I need something to do for her in the interim.

I took Lexapro (short term) and it was very helpful. I took 10mg/day. I hope your ds does ok and can get through this anxiety.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

We did Diet modifications, play therapy, suppliments (focusing on 5htp, inositol, gaba)

Some things helped for a while.. but nothing helped to the degree it needed to.

I can update, he is on 5mg once a day and has been at that dose for a few days. He started at 1.25 mg and slowly went up from there. We saw improvement nearly right away. He is happier, calmer, less ruminating, able to get over problems easier. He is having many consequtive days at school where he is doing great. Lots of good feedback from school about his behavior and his coping ability.
He has also started LENS neurofeedback and his holistic psychiatrist hopes to get him to a point where he won't need medication anymore.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:12 AM

That is WONDERFUL!

I have 5htp. I can give that to dd? I didn't know that! I also have GABA. Oh wait, we ran out. I will buy more! (Ds1 and I take it.)

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:34 PM

That sounds really great. I'm glad it seems to be helping.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So glad to hear it is helping him.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 11-07-2008, 12:46 AM

I take it myself and have for several years and I love it. I have worked with young teens also who have done well on it. Glad to hear that he is doing well!

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.

User Tag List