DR won't refill prescription - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-17-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had the worst doctor's appointment and I'm not sure what I should do.

I started on Celexa and then switched to lexapro. I switched to Zoloft during pregnancy but went back to the Lexapro a few months after giving birth.

I was out and had no refills left so I called my dr's office. They gave me a script for 10 days and when I ran out I called again. They hadn't told me they would give me 10 days worth and that I needed to make an appointment with a doctor. Anyways, I met with a doctor that is not my PCP and he flat out refused to prescribe the medication for me. His reasoning? "I did a quick screening and you're not depressed. I won't give you the medication." : Don't even get me started on that doctor -- it's not the reason for this post.

My question is WHAT DO I DO?? I'm out of meds and generally, after about 72 hours, I get dizzy, have an extreme lack of concentration (similar to how ADD people describe their attention span), and I have INCREDIBLE mood swings. It won't be pretty. Any suggestions?

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 PM

Can you go to a walk-in clinic and explain that your regular doctor is "on vacation" or something and you need a script to tide you over until you can see him?
#3 of 13 Old 10-17-2008, 06:32 PM

This is not what you are asking for, I know- but I am wondering if you should report that doctor who an appropriate authority. Given the extreme nature of some anti-depressant withdrawal symptoms, it is very irresponsible of him to just cut off your prescription like that - if he really feels you should be off it, he needs to keep prescribing and guide you through weaning, with close monitoring!

I hope the walk-in clinic (or just a new doctor?) works for you.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#4 of 13 Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you're having acute withdrawal symptoms right now, I'd seek immediate medical treatment. First choice would be an "emergency" appointment at your dr's office, 2nd choice, a walk-in "after hours" clinic, and 3rd choice, the ER.

I would wait until you've missed about one dose of the meds to seek treatment- enough so you're starting to have symptoms but not so much that you truly make yourself suffer.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#5 of 13 Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 PM

I feel so bad for you. I take Lexapro and like a dummy, I forgot it when we went on vacation this summer. I was sick as a dog after a couple days so I had to call my PCP and have her call in another refill at a pharmacy nearby. I would go to an ER or a walk-in clinic.... and I would definately report that doc. Who is he is say whether you need the med or not. And it's not like it is a pain med that you can abuse or sell. :

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#6 of 13 Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 AM

I can not believe that! Well of course when properly medicated I don't have depression symptoms either duh. My now ex-DR is going through a divorce and has been beyond unavailable. I ran out of Lexapro and the withdrawal symptoms were SCARY. Sick, dizzy, crying all the time, crazy thoughts. My husband was ready to call my parents for help. How a DOCTOR could not understand the repercussions?!?! Withdrawal from an SSRI is VERY serious. Report them!

Newly single mama to DS 4/20/2005. Recently back from ALASKA.
#7 of 13 Old 10-24-2008, 06:34 AM

See another doctor asap. Go to the ER if need be. You cannot withdraw like that (just QUIT).

Even if he thinks you don't need it, he should have offered you direction on how to withdraw properly and prescribed the needed meds to do so.

Please see another dr asap and then report the idiot one.
#8 of 13 Old 10-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Holy crap! That doctor is ignorant! No one should cut off their SSRI meds like that—even when ready* to give them up. Drugs like that have to be weaned off carefully, bc SSRI withdrawal is miserable and dangerous. I know.... I went through it deliberately on Paxil (I was dumb and didn't know about w/d back then) and wouldn't wish that on *anyone.*

Please find yourself another doctor ASAP.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#9 of 13 Old 10-28-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
See another doctor asap. Go to the ER if need be. You cannot withdraw like that (just QUIT).

Even if he thinks you don't need it, he should have offered you direction on how to withdraw properly and prescribed the needed meds to do so.

Please see another dr asap and then report the idiot one.

Ya, they would have to give it to you, even if they don't agree that you should be on it. Anyone with any smarts knows that you have to seriously ween yourself off of that stuff.

My dh and I both take celexa and if he misses one or 2 doses he starts getting physically sick - dizziness, nausea, etc.
I can go about 5 days or so before I'm in bad shape.

I know people who have taken themselves off of it and it is horrible, really!

If I were in your shoes I would go to an ER. I would have no choice at some point. The Dr's in the ER should be smart enough to know that this is a serious manner. There are lots of people who end up being admitted to the hospital because they quit taking their meds, etc. It is no joke.

Sorry about your experience - how awful

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
#10 of 13 Old 10-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned

i agree, go to the er if you have to. then find a psychiatrist. pcp aren't as knowledgeable about mental health issues as psychs, and you will probably have better luck with a psych. Good luck.
#11 of 13 Old 11-02-2008, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
This is not what you are asking for, I know- but I am wondering if you should report that doctor who an appropriate authority. Given the extreme nature of some anti-depressant withdrawal symptoms, it is very irresponsible of him to just cut off your prescription like that - if he really feels you should be off it, he needs to keep prescribing and guide you through weaning, with close monitoring!

I hope the walk-in clinic (or just a new doctor?) works for you.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian Squash View Post
I can not believe that! Well of course when properly medicated I don't have depression symptoms either duh.
And this! Please update us, I hope you get some meds.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#12 of 13 Old 11-07-2008, 11:30 PM

This is just awful. My only suggestion is to go to an ER or Urgent Care clinic and tell them exactly what happened.

I am currently in a similar situation. I moved and my psych is about 2 hours away. After my last refill, he said I need to find a primary care dr to prescribe for me, since he can't keep prescribing over the phone. (Which is reasonable.)

So I made an appointment with an ND, thinking it would be nice to have a more holistic primary care provider in general. After waiting a couple weeks to get in, and two visits one week apart, he now has said he can't prescribe meds for me unless I agree to see their counselor for talk therapy, too. I agreed (after also being talked into spending $50 out of pocket on chinese herbs and vitamins), but now I have to wait longer to get in to their therapist... and I've got 2 pills left.

At first I was thinking this was good, but then he started talking about weaning off meds after my herbs kick in, etc.... and I feel like they are holding my antidepressants hostage to bilk more $$$ out of me. :

Sorry to hijack the thread. Just saying I know how you feel.
#13 of 13 Old 11-08-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post

At first I was thinking this was good, but then he started talking about weaning off meds after my herbs kick in, etc.... and I feel like they are holding my antidepressants hostage to bilk more $$$ out of me. :
I say find a new Dr. You know, when dh and I lost our ins., therefore our psychiatrists, we have just seen a general practitioner who has continued to fill our meds. It would better for us to see a psychiatrist but right now we can't.
Plenty of your run of the mill Docs are willing to prescribe anti-depressants, etc., especially if you have already been taking them.

I am all about herbs, etc. but you can't just switch things around, especially if you already know what works for you.

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page