Deciding if I should go on meds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Currently I have a huge amount of conflict with my husband. It's driving me crazy. I feel really upset most of the time. My emotions range from extreme sadness, to lethargy, to rage. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to lose it. I am usually such a laid back person but at times I get so angry at my husband I want to hit him or ruin one of his personal possessions. I just feel so out of control most of the time.

Even though I feel out of control, I'm not acting out on my rage impulses. I don't think I'll really hit him. It's just when we argue I get so frustrated and I don't know what to do. I feel so sad and frustrated most of the time. We are seeking both couples counseling and individual counseling for both of us. We just started going and it feels like things between us are getting worse because it's forcing us to really acknowledge challenging issues.

I'm just having such a hard time and I'm wondering if I should consider going on medication while were figuring things out. I've been stress eating a lot and I hate that. I think that medication may help me to be not as sad or angry and I won't stress eat as much.

I'm not crazy about the idea of taking something. I've been on Zoloft before and it made me feel spacey. It also made it difficult for me to sleep, upset my digestive system and made it more difficult to orgasm. It did help with the pain though. That is why I'm considering it now.

Any thoughts or advice?

jog.gifkid.gif

#2 of 4 Old 11-03-2008, 03:43 PM

i don't know. i'm in the same boat. i had a horrible weekend and my husband was irritating the shit out of me. i was hoping that there are some natural "cures" for it all. i don't like the idea of meds. and divorce (although looking pretty good right now! lol) is not an option.

just wanted you to know you are not alone.
#3 of 4 Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tatiana, given that Zoloft has helped you before, it is worthwhile to consider it now. You are in a really stressful situation and given that your emotions are overwhelming you so much (sadness, anger, frustration) it might give you some relief while you are working through so much difficult stuff. The zoloft won't change your belief system, but it might help you get through the counselling and work through hard stuff.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#4 of 4 Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 PM

If the Zoloft helped you before but you did not like the side-affects, then maybe you can try a different SSRI like Prozac or a different drug like Wellbutrin that has less of the side-effects you referenced.

It sounds as though medication would help you in these circumstances. You will feel more balanced mentally and be able to sift through the real issues you have with your DH as opposed to issues that are blown up because of the way you are currently feeling. I only say this because I have been in your shoes, in fact I am now and will be seeing my doctor next week to start anti-depresants, (it has taken me months to make the call and decision).

:SaHM to 3 *DD* DD2 * DS

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page