Life w/PMDD/Severe PMS Support... - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 626 Old 08-09-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Day 28 here and I would'nt know it....the past 2 days I felt felt "normal" aside from some minor anxiety.

Ovulation and the week after was up and down up and down...and days 24 and 25. It now feels like the progonb has kicked in and I"m feeling good.

dust.gif
#302 of 626 Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM

I started five days early this month. I have been tracking for 11 days now. We shall see what next month brings me!
#303 of 626 Old 08-10-2009, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mystic~Mama - glad to hear they seem to be helping.

You too Danish Mama.

To all who are struggling

Today I am so dark and negative. Have been very negative the past two or three days. I have signs now that AF is coming tonight/tomorrow. That's good because, well... you know the thoughts that can come when we feel like : So ugly. If I believed those thoughts I would do things I regretted.

And it's so hard not to feel understood. I also feel bad like what kind of an example am I to my children? I like what somebody said about accepting ourselves as we are, but what about when I don't like certain parts of myself like being super negative, yelling, mean, etc?

THIS WILL PASS...... I know as soon as I get my period things will be

ETA - this month I have had REALLY REALLY BAD depersonalization. I have felt like I do not exist, I am just this awareness that takes up the little space behind my eyes. I am watching myself watching the world and moving through it. At times I have even felt like I don't feel my body. WEIRD. I have never had it this strong before. Am wondering now if it's related to this PMS/PMDD stuff. Anybody have symptoms like that before? THanks.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#304 of 626 Old 08-11-2009, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

surfacing, yes to the depersonalization, I know...

well, today sucked. AF is arriving..

I am not giving up...I've read Vitex can take 6 months to a year for its full effect.

Danish Mom,

I'm curious if you kept up with the B6 and how that went for you?

peace mamas

dust.gif
#305 of 626 Old 08-11-2009, 10:13 PM

well i am on CD 25 and i feel like i have PMS today. not crazy psycho woman who's going to kill her DS and CPS is going to take away her kids... just plain old regular cranky PMS.

i am only taking 25 mg of zoloft, but i am still feeling like it's working pretty good. i hope it continues, my birthmom is coming to visit next weekend.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#306 of 626 Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post
well i am on CD 25 and i feel like i have PMS today. not crazy psycho woman who's going to kill her DS and CPS is going to take away her kids... just plain old regular cranky PMS.

i am only taking 25 mg of zoloft, but i am still feeling like it's working pretty good. i hope it continues, my birthmom is coming to visit next weekend.

Day 3 ~ I wish I had just regular cranky PMS.

dust.gif
#307 of 626 Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 PM

umami_mommy - that's good news!
Mystic~Momma - You are not a piece of crap of a human being. You need help. You have a right to keep searching until you find something that works for you.

It's hard. Today over here it was better than the last few days, when I felt some pretty serious dramatics in my head but managed to keep a lid on *some* of it. AF is here and I feel more energized, but still moody. I had a *flip out* at dh today and pulled some all or nothing stuff. We were at an amusement park with the kids and he was all stressed and crabby. I kept trying to chat and understand what was wrong and make jokes so he could snap out of it. He was being a grumpy gus. Finally I just lost it on him. I wanted to enjoy the day with my family and not rush around being grumpy. Once the cloud cleared we made it work and enjoyed our day very much. But gee. My pdoc sees a very calm, logical side of me... I don't give her the gorey details about my OTHER SIDE. Sigh.

Hang in there, Mamas. Take care of yourselves.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#308 of 626 Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

yes, Surfacing, you are right, I am not a POC although I felt pretty crappy I know beating myself up isn't helpful.

I had a good day today....still felt like I was recovering from the energy I stirred up yesterday.

Talked to my best friend and she was very supportive....I need to talk to and be around my female friends more.

Oh and Surfacing, I admire your strength in keeping a lid on it, I am going to exercise that muscle more myself...

peace

dust.gif
#309 of 626 Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post
yes, Surfacing, you are right, I am not a POC although I felt pretty crappy I know beating myself up isn't helpful.

I had a good day today....still felt like I was recovering from the energy I stirred up yesterday.

Talked to my best friend and she was very supportive....I need to talk to and be around my female friends more.

Oh and Surfacing, I admire your strength in keeping a lid on it, I am going to exercise that muscle more myself...

peace
It's good to hear talking with your female friend was helpful. Sometimes a little thing can be like a salve on our fried nerves!!!

As for keeping a lid on it - this is something I have been working on ever since I've had children. So many things set me off (or used to)... I've basically had to reprogram my thinking so I could cope with the challenges of parenting (esp. dd1 who pushes all my buttons ).Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's really hard to retrain myself but worth the effort. I still have freak outs but the really bad ones are much rarer and don't last as long.

What are your triggers, do you think?

#310 of 626 Old 08-14-2009, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishMom View Post
Thank you so much for posting this. I will get it checked out. I did have a bit of diabetes when I was pg and my mom has diabetes so you could be on to something.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but would lots of sugar in my diet cause this problem?

Thank you very much!
First, a lot of sugar in your diet doesn't HELP--but no, doesn't CAUSE it. Just puts you on more of a roller coaster.

But if your family has late-onset diabetes, they may have had this all along and not known. Eventually, your pancreas burn out of making insulin and just stop... which is diabetes.

If it gets bad enough (some people don't see this happen) but your muscles will become insulin resistant and you'll have horrible fatigue. Also, if you gain a LOT of weight in short spans of time (I gained 60lbs. in 6mo. once)...

I used to blame my weight gain on bouts of depression (and vice versa) but they were both hand-in-hand side effects of the insulin problem. Unfortunately, I can't even tell you how many doctors have never heard of this. YEARS I struggled. And the Dr. that found it undermedicated me. :

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#311 of 626 Old 08-14-2009, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

thanks

dust.gif
#312 of 626 Old 08-15-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

has anyone seen the cycle diet site?

Looks to me like some nutritional ideas which seem to make sense...

http://www.cyclediet.com/foods_to_include.php

goes pretty well with macrobiotic it seems like also....I found this book at Goodwill recently and am thinking differently about the food I eat, all this especially after the cleanse I just finished.

Despite how down I was recently, I am still committed to healing myself from the root up.

dust.gif
#313 of 626 Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 AM

wow, that looks great mystic. despite taking zoloft for my luteal phase, i am still committed to eating a liver healthy diet!

i will look closer at it when i have some time.

thanks so much for posting that.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#314 of 626 Old 08-16-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

being nice to your liver is always a good idea : )

basically no dairy, red meat/pork...chips during the luteal phase

I'm going for it, I've been going more and more vegan lately I don't plan on becoming a full vegan ever.

I will have a week to myself starting tomorrow...looking forward to some space from DP, for both of us and some feel good time.

take care mamas

dust.gif
#315 of 626 Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Okay... so I'm seeing that last month my cycle was about 24 days long. I'm currently on day 17 and yesterday--I really wasn't well. VERY impatient and angry. Today, I had a moment of it, too. This is odd because really, I don't often have symptoms this far in advance. It's 2-3 days max.

I'm taking:

B6 (150mg/day part of it is in a B-complex and the rest is in a straight B6)
D3 (2200mg/day)
Fish oil (I'd BEEN taking that for at least a year--a 3-6-9 combo)
Vit. C (also been taking this for a while)

I've also been taking 1 tsp of Maca Root/day. The thing is, I started noticing that my acne was clearing up. So today I went looking for information related to this and stumbled on a blogger who was trying it specifically for acne. Turned out that the Maca actually exacerbated her PMS/PMDD symptoms; and while her regular acne was clearing at first--she started getting cystic acne at her jaw line (which she noted was typical of hormonal acne). She tried it for another month just to give her system time to adjust to it, but she had to stop because it was really making her PMS way worse than usual--and the second month's PMS-related acne was even worse. It IMMEDIATELY clicked with me (the worsening PMS symptoms) because yesterday and today were so surprising to me that I actually checked to see if my period was due in the next day or two.

Anyone else using Maca regularly? Thoughts? I'm using the Navitas powder form if it matters.

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

#316 of 626 Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 AM

i know maca can increase testosterone production. don't know if that is a good thing for PMDD.

#317 of 626 Old 08-22-2009, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

I had a tablespoon full of Maca today in my smoothie.

I'll drop it and see what happens, My ovulation change over hit almost 2 days ago, I'm feeling pretty much like this ----->

dust.gif
#318 of 626 Old 08-22-2009, 10:14 PM
WCM

I cannot express how happy I am to have found this thread. I usually just post/read in the Unschooling forum, because so much of our lives is reflected in our unschooling lifestyle, and thus other forums seem not to give me the answers and topics I need.

I'm just discovering PMDD. After my third, and last. child was born and my menses returned, I found it odd that my cycle had changed, it was longer, and my skin/mood/diet went downhill at ovulation, not a menses, and at menses I felt gloriously happy and positive. It seems to be geting worse each time, and after a few recent discussions with dh where I jst lost it, not yelling but crying and saying our marriage was hopeless, that he clearly is the source of all my problems (he is a lovey guy btw), and then crying to my kids about how hard it is to clean up after them every day . . . I started to write stuff down. And what do you know, the day I ovulate is the day it all goes to hell.

This has me exploring depression, because I'm an analyser, I need ALL the info before I proceed. You gals have discussed supplements alot, and I know there is a combo that's right for me, I just am having a hard time finding the will to even bother taking anything. The LAST thing I want to do in the morning is eat.

I'm not at all averse to taking meds if that ends up being what is needed, but I don't see them as a guaranteed solution, a magic bullet, so I'm trying to figure out what I need, changes I can make before I decide nothing else is working.

I used to get daily exercise, after my first child and then after my second. With my third, it just felt too hard. I'm someone who needs things routine or simply will not bother. So when i did exercise I got up every morning before the kids, before dh would leave for work, and walk for an hour. every day, no matter what. If I tried to take a Sunday off or something, I felt crappy (mentally) all day. My thoughts turned to being a fat loser.

but as unschoolers/homeschoolers, are very much without any routine or schedule. and they are no longer little babes I can just stick in a double stroller and walk with for miles. and the idea of trying to get back into early morning walks feels so scary (which in itself is crazy!) because I'm afraid of the mental beating I'll give myself if I fail, if I decide I'm too tired. but my PMDD makes me exhausted! yet I know I need exercise. but our kids go to bed late, and if I'm to get up eary it'll require a big shift on my part, that the kids and I go to be early (9) and dh will be stuck solo in his night owl world. but I'm willing to do anything, this has to change. I feel awful at how I blow up at my kids. Sure I explain, sure I apologise. but they know enough to look scared when i yell at them, and that is the worst thing, that I can never ever undo.

I cannot touch my diet. I found things got worse last fall because i tried going back to my pre-kids level of health (just for fun!) when i worked in health food. it was nuts. I found the stress on my brain of what I could and could not eat was hard, and adding that to the concept of cooking for others who ate nothing like I did, runnning the kitchen, the shopping, etc . . .it was mental. so I'm eating white flour, first time in decades, and life is fine. I cannot believe how much stress diet put on me over the years, because again, I'm that routine person. When I lived alone I had a routine that enabled me to maintain fabulous health. Now, with our home life set up as it is
I am at the whim of my children and dh's needs, as my personality is also one that puts others needs ahead of my own, to a degree anyway. So finding time for my needs (to be all alone please!) are very hard.

I'd been posting in SAHM forum on MDC as I thought maybe my struggle was that dh has his work out of home, and I am the only one who handles both our home and our kids needs. He is gone alot. One thing I do not want to do is mistake some things I think aren't right in my life as simply my depression POV, rather than fight to fix them. Kwim? Right now I'm looking into reducing my expectations of motherhood, really questioning why I think what I do about my role, what is most important to me as a mother, and what I need to tip the balance in my life.

Right now I just feel weary, and while I *know* what could make things better (exercise, less cravings, supplements) I just have absolutely no desire to do those things. It's not just being too tired to exercise, it's like a total aversion. I get the depersonalisation thing as well, seeing myself as 'other' and just going through the motions. I had this happen to me in university years ago, and but never sought help though I felt it must be a nervous breakdown.

I need to go feed the crew, but am glad you are here.

My struggle is that it is very hard to get time to myself. I do not want to join a class or team, I just want time alone, and often. but I love home/unschooling and no one wants to go to school.

Passionate posts = oodles of typos
#319 of 626 Old 08-22-2009, 10:57 PM

WCM

#320 of 626 Old 08-23-2009, 12:08 AM

WCM

Holy moly, I could've written the bottom half of your post--with the routines you had as a single person onward. We're soul sisters. It's horrible.

We also homeschool, but we needed structure. I hate "school at home" and we're not doing that--but we're not completely unschooling, either. The crossroads is a variation on the workbox system (you'll see plenty on this in the L@H&B regular forum) where my son can do what he wants when he wants and it's all there for him. And he's involved in a number of activities that build some level of schedule into our lives. Can you gently tweak what you're doing to meet the needs of your exploratory learners AND your mental health? There probably IS but you may not be able to see it very clearly right now.

As for the energy, try the B6 (150mg/day) and B-complex (be sure to see how much B6 is in the complex so you're not taking double). They should be taken together. It might help.

umami_mommy... YIKES!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! No bueno! Stopping maca immediately: my insulin problem already caused hyperandrogenism (the result of too much testosterone already in my system). Geesh.

So here I am, day 18, and while dh legitimately infuriated me tonight--I QUICKLY got to an angry "don't bother coming home". Now to be fair, I would have been enraged (and rightfully so) regardless. I'm just fairly certain I could've been more calm in front of the kids and the argument been much shorter. So I'm less than thrilled.

Painful acne on my chin. This isn't usually the case for me. I usually have non-painful acne on my cheeks (which is clearing up--likely from the maca ).

You know, the worst is that I do a LOT of advising on dietary intervention for childhood development and behavior issues... and my NUMBER ONE, ABSOLUTE when advising is "DO. NOT. change, introduce or eliminate more than one thing at a time". Ya THINK I might follow my own advice? And I thought about it AS I was doing it and thought "Well, I'll do all of it and if it works, I'll back them out one by one and see when there's a change for the negative". I was that desperate for improvement. Ugh...

*sigh*

OH!!! And I had CRAMPS today! I seriously have never had cramps in my life. Grrrr....

#321 of 626 Old 08-23-2009, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

glad you found us WCM

dust.gif
#322 of 626 Old 08-23-2009, 08:50 AM

MM, i am sorry you are suffering so. do you have a therapist or someone you can go to for talk and support? i know you don't want to try pharm meds, but maybe you could try a low dose of an SSRI for a few cycles and see if it helps. it's just not right you are suffering so every cycle.

#323 of 626 Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 AM

:

#324 of 626 Old 08-23-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas for replying. I haven't seen my counselor for weeks...I don't really feel like it I guess. Maybe I should.

have to go to work, I pretty much always have good days at work so relieved to be going.

post more later.

dust.gif
#325 of 626 Old 08-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
maybe it is the hormones talking...or maybe this relationship is toxic or maybe I have to heal and get thru it...I dont know.
I'm dealing with similar stuff. Our marriage was hell for the last 9 years and now that he's finally moving his ass, I'm having a hard time. I'm realizing that neglect is a form of abuse and I've stayed here while he had me endure the things I endured alone, but with him. He didn't care. He wasn't moved by my upset. And I stayed.

So now when he has regressions in his progress (which I know is totally natural) I'm getting a real dose of "OMG--am I putting myself in a situation to be "abused" again?!?!" and I panic and it instantly gets to "divorce" mode. Like, do I deal with it because it's part of moving forward or am I rationalizing it and putting myself in a bad spot again? No clue. It happened yesterday, but I didn't actually get to the divorce portion of it as I usually do. I DID get to "find somewhere else to stay tonight" although I caved on it... AND didn't scream at him all night... so there's huge progress.

But I think you're right: we need to be in counseling... even if we don't feel like it. With me, I didn't want to go lest they tell me to leave him. How horrible is that? Talk about issues.

#326 of 626 Old 08-25-2009, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

I recommend the books:

Wild Feminine

and

Women who run with the Wolves

I believe honoring our womynhood is a part of healing from PMS.

dust.gif
#327 of 626 Old 08-25-2009, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
well, DP and I had a whirlwind visit since he got called into work (out to sea) for 4 days....not the best timing...

we had a little trouble this A.M and all the sudden it was like my heart just opened up and I was able to really say what it was the was hurting inside of me with absolute open~ness and trust and it felt like a flood gate of relief to be able to tell DP those things and he was so caring and kind. It truly was hell for me for some of the time he was gone, my abandonment issues were SO painful.

It felt so incredibly good to be able to express my pain like that to my partner.

We talked about my pms issue and decided...and I really appreciated him not say I told you so in any form and just being supportive....so we decided I would see my DR (Natureopath) and let her know we need to pull out the biggest guns she has got/////this is also depending on how it goes the next 2 weeks...other wise if I don't get relief I am going for an SSRI.

I cannot keep letting myself get beaten up like this.

blessings mamas

p.s

I recommend the books:

Wild Feminine

and

Women who run with the Wolves

I believe honoring our womynhood is a part of healing from PMS.
Hi Mystic, you know how much I tried the natural route until I started SSRI. I just wanted to tell you that SSRIs made a huge difference to me. I don't feel PMS anymore at all. Neither, the weird mood around ovulation.

Good luck with everything and much love from me.

BTW: maybe we could start a poll here about what has helped other woman here. Not that it would anything statistically speaking - still would be interesting to see.
#328 of 626 Old 08-25-2009, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

thx Anne,,,Yes, How can we start a poll, do we have to start a new thread?

dust.gif
#329 of 626 Old 08-25-2009, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

I'd also Please like to know if any mamas on SSRI's have experienced weight gain as a side effect?

this after seeing the thread about the muffin top due to lexapro....

I dont want that! I've been really trying to lose the weight I have gained and doing pretty well...do not want to regress...

dust.gif
#330 of 626 Old 08-25-2009, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
thx Anne,,,Yes, How can we start a poll, do we have to start a new thread?
I think we would need a new thread.

Here is a list of categories. Mamas, please add if you can think of something else.

Vitamins/minerals:
Herbs:
Amino acids:
Omega 3, 6 or 9:
Diet modifications:
Therapy:
Anti-anxiety medicine:
Anti-depressive medicine:
Anti-psychotic medicine:

Anything else???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page