Life w/PMDD/Severe PMS Support... - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 09-12-2009, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today is day 2 of AF and I am a FREAK! I totally lost it on dd1 this morning. Not good. Not acceptable. I am ashamed of myself. I called my freaking pdoc's office on Thurs, wanna go see her and change my meds, still no call back. Ugh. I hate feeling like this.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Today is day 2 of AF and I am a FREAK! I totally lost it on dd1 this morning. Not good. Not acceptable. I am ashamed of myself. I called my freaking pdoc's office on Thurs, wanna go see her and change my meds, still no call back. Ugh. I hate feeling like this.

so sorry mama, hugs to you

still crampy Negative PG test...AF not here yet, feeling good... confused...

dust.gif
Old 09-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
hang in there mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post
so sorry mama, hugs to you

still crampy Negative PG test...AF not here yet, feeling good... confused...
i think you should take a test! you need answers.

so my period is over but i'm having lingering effects. i go to the doctor tomorrow. i hate this. i feel so broken.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco4cloth View Post
hang in there mama!

i think you should take a test! you need answers.

so my period is over but i'm having lingering effects. i go to the doctor tomorrow. i hate this. i feel so broken.
I'm sorry you feel broken mama, I know that feeling all to well....you can find healing, your body is capable of it.

I took a Preg Test last night...I was very surprised to see it was negative, I really thought I pregnant. I was a week late, the only time that has happened with me is when I was Pregnant with DD.

So AF seems to be here...I'm thinking the ProgonB had a big effect, and I've been on the herbs for almost 4 months now.

So...this cycle was a BIG change, things are definitely happening.

blessings mamas

dust.gif
Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Surfacing,

How are you doing?

Don't forget to be gentle on yourself....this is a hard thing you are dealing with and you are human....take care of yourself.

dust.gif
Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 PM

Thank you for the welcome....
Sorry it's been a bit.
I was well and then BAM, I wasn't.

Whoa this is going to take some getting use to.
I have never been so frightenened in my life.
I keep thinking I should go check myslef into the hospital.

I was totally off this month. Af came a week early, but I didn't feel better until the day she normally comes. It was just too weird for me to understand.
Yet I'm still not myself.

I wanted to share my plan....from the holistic center I'm going to.

evening primrose 1 in am
flax seed oil 1 in am
yam adrenal 1 am/ 1 pm
DHEA 25 mg 1 every other day
female harmony 1 daily (my body rejected this one)

b6/b12
holy basil 2 x day
b complex 1 day
DHAE 1 day

liquid iron
cq10 30mg 1 3x day
womans daily vitamin
zygest 2x day

Lots of raw veggies from my garden
Raw veggies balance the ph in your body....keeping you toward alkaline...grains and legumes keep you toward an acid ph
Fruit is mostly acid but not bad....so fruits and veggies for me.
no gluten,no caffeine, sugar etc.....processed
correct me if I have this wrong.
plenty of sleep (yeah right)
Less stress (oh ok....yeah right)

So far I'm just trying to stay sane. No friends, isolated, middle of nowhere.
Trying to get out more and get plenty of exercise...helps me sleep.
Joining a mommy and me I hope.

The holy basil or the evening primrose makes me itch inside and out and gives me cotton mouth....not sure which one it is.

Over all I'm pretty ok...just spacey and the intrusive thoughts kick my butt...but I know it's hormones :

Tomorrow I have an appt with another dr to have my hormones checked and talk about what I should do.
I really don't want to go on birth control or anything else as I've never been in my life.

mama to five :
Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 PM

Is it normal with this to feel completely out of your mind and fear there is no end in sight....

I keep feeling complete hopelessness...or for example
I will be feeling great doing something with the family or somethng and then it will hit me..( I will remember how I feel sometimes)..like a trigger or I will see a word that reminds me and it completely wipes out the happiness.

Is that normal or am I off my rocker?

ETA...saw the doctor/OBGYN and now I'm more confused than ever.
It was my understanding that I had too much estrogen and too little progesterone.....but he tells me the opposite is true.
So that would mean my natural plan is fruitless...
He prescribed a very low dose of birth control, but I'm unsure if I would even try that....but I need to do something.
He slo suggested that for me, in my case....it may be a combination of things. I don't get out at all lately, no friends with a new move, and isolated in the woods with a 4 yr old....perhaps I'm having more difficulty dealing than the next person....so on.
I'm stumped on what to do.

mama to five :
Old 09-17-2009, 01:34 AM

Littlewillow It sounds like you are going through such a hard time at the moment! It's good to reach out online for some human contact but gads, I'd be going batty in the woods with no one to talk to expect my 4 y.o. and dh. We are all human and we are social creatures who NEED contact with other grown ups! Is there a community centre in a nearby town you can visit? Or a library? I hope you will consider looking into getting connected a little to a nearby community. Even once a week, bi-weekly, heck once a month... better than nothing!

I am worried that you are feeling hopelessness so frequently. I have been there too... it's a very painful place to be. It could be that you are suffering from depression. Has your doctor screened you for that?

Mamas, I am posting now because I am seeing my pdoc tomorrow. Finally! We will be discussing a med switch and I am nervous. Nervous about potential side effects as I wean off Prozac and on to something else. I know Prozac has a really long half-life and there's supposed to be like nooooo discontinuation symptoms, but I am super sensitive and seemed to have them anyway as I was dosing down. Just repeat with me: You will be okay. This will pass. You will be fine.

Take care of yourselves, Mamas!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 09-17-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

littlewillow,

yes, I think you sound normal...out of balance but normal for what can so easily happen in this out of balance crazy world we live in, blessings to you mama, keep taking care of yourself, you can find the right combination, it takes a while! You can always make adjustments when you learn new things to help you along the way.

Surfacing...

wishing you well as you make the adjustments to your meds

As for me...

I went to my Natureopath today, she said the ProgonB was the cause for the delayed period and that there seems to be a lot of positive change for me.

I was actually feeling really good before and when my period started and it wasnt until day 3 and 4 that I started to have a hard time/was triggered by my relationship... working on that situation...

so it has been 4 months working with my Doc (in 4 days) she wants me to keep it up and go back in 3 months and start weaning me off the ProgonB to just part instead of my whole cycle.

blessings mamas

dust.gif
Old 09-17-2009, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

also, I think sometimes you may feel crazy and that is your body telling you something...the earth & universe telling you something...things are WAY out of balance and we womyn pick up on that energy...the feminine is so out of balance...the men of our society so stiffled and disconnect in general, not all but so many and it is sad.

The change I feel is in large part in the hands up the Yin, the womyn...we grow and birth life, we nurture....our earth and our people need us to get back into balance.

love and light

dust.gif
Old 09-17-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

You are Strong

You are Amazing

You are Beautiful

dust.gif
Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Littlewillow - I was reading my book "Self Help for PMS" by Michaelle Harrison (also covers PMDD). The food changes you reference are bang on. About supplements, oil of evening primrose and B6 were in there, along with extra Calcium and Magnesium.

I saw my pdoc today and we looked up a study (she printed it and gave it to me) that was amazingly helpful. It described how SSRI's are thought to help women with PMS/PMDD. It was amazing to read the description of different serotonin receptors and other things going on in the brain that are different in people with severe PMS/PMDD and people without. It really drove home the point to me that this is a physical illness that requires treatment.

We decided to keep my prozac with wellbutrin, and just up the prozac by 10mg in the week before my period. Can't wait to see if it makes a difference! So glad I don't have to switch meds.

Sending healthy energy and patience to all ~*~*~* Take care of yourselves, eat nutritiously, sleep enough, talk a walk, ask for a hug. Take your vitamins!

Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 PM

Mystic~Mama, it's good to hear the ProgonB is helpful to you. Finding something that helps even a bit can be such a welcome relief.

With respect to your relationship issues, have you ever considered counselling?

Thanks for the positive thinking you posted there. We can all use helpful healing words.

How is everyone else doing?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

hope all is well with everyone today. We met with a great new counselor.

dust.gif
Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Wow. He (the counsellor) sounds like he has everything you guys need just now. I hope this turns out to be a positive turning point for your relationship and sense of understanding for yourselves and each other. Sounds very encouraging! Keep us posted.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:41 AM

who here is on an antidepressant?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
who here is on an antidepressant?
Me. I'm on Prozac and Wellbutrin. Research shows superior improvement in mood (when compared to a placebo) in administering SSRI's in the two weeks prior to menstruation.

We are *just this month* going to do an increase in the one week prior to menstruation for me, as this is when my mood symptoms show. Research finds there are no discontinuation symptoms when meds are used for the one or two weeks before menstruation at the recommended dosages. Your doctor would have to look it (the dosages) up in a study. Since I am already on 13mg/day for general mood management, the extra 10mg Prozac during my premenstrual week should show some improvement. Can't wait to try it out!

Why do you ask???

Old 09-18-2009, 05:13 PM

I was just put on an ad monday. I've been on them before (PPD) I always seem to really struggle with them the first few weeks. I feel blah. Can't eat. Feel sick to my stomach. Did you have that? Yesterday and today have been really hard. I just realized that I'm ovulating which is a hard time for me. I'm holding out hope that the meds start to work and get me out of this funk.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:23 PM

i am taking a low dose of zoloft (25 mg) on CD 5 till about 28 (when i bleed). it's helped lots though i still get crabby PMS the week before, it's NOT PMDD.

low dose = little to no side effects.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 09-18-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewillow View Post
I
ETA...saw the doctor/OBGYN and now I'm more confused than ever.
It was my understanding that I had too much estrogen and too little progesterone.....but he tells me the opposite is true.
So that would mean my natural plan is fruitless...
He prescribed a very low dose of birth control, but I'm unsure if I would even try that....but I need to do something.
He slo suggested that for me, in my case....it may be a combination of things. I don't get out at all lately, no friends with a new move, and isolated in the woods with a 4 yr old....perhaps I'm having more difficulty dealing than the next person....so on.
I'm stumped on what to do.
uh, how about seeing someone who knows what the hell they are doing? your doc is wrong wrong wrong. PMDD is not caused by isolation any more than stomach ulcers are.

try the BCP, but there are also lots of suggestions in this thread for natural treatments too. (it's not an either or thing, you can do both)

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 09-18-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post
uh, how about seeing someone who knows what the hell they are doing? your doc is wrong wrong wrong. PMDD is not caused by isolation any more than stomach ulcers are.

try the BCP, but there are also lots of suggestions in this thread for natural treatments too. (it's not an either or thing, you can do both)
I had this argument with my dh. My holistic nurse and my regular dr both told me the opposite of what this OB/gyn said. That is why I asked him repeatedly.

I am on natural supplements
A whole long list of them

I've never taken ad or bc...and if it helps I would like to try it.
Yet I do believe that the isolation probably makes me feel worse than I should.

Does anyone find that foods affect you in a big way...aside from just caffeine and sugars...

I do know if I tell my holistic nurse that I would like to try the bc in addition to the long list of "natural" things she has me on she is going to tell me it's a bad idea.
My dh has started taking my son to work with him two to three days per week. I think it might just be helping...the depression that I didn't realize I had.

mama to five :
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I was just put on an ad monday. I've been on them before (PPD) I always seem to really struggle with them the first few weeks. I feel blah. Can't eat. Feel sick to my stomach. Did you have that? Yesterday and today have been really hard. I just realized that I'm ovulating which is a hard time for me. I'm holding out hope that the meds start to work and get me out of this funk.
If you can stick it through the initial side effects, they should fade away and then you experience the *benefits*! I felt blah in my stomach on Effexor when I took it. Not so much with Wellbutrin or Prozac. I had different side effects with those. Just know that you are safe, just because your tummy is doing that doesn't mean it's always going to be like that. This will pass.

Which ad were you put on? Was it the same as what you took before? Did you find it helpful for your PPD?

Old 09-18-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewillow View Post
Does anyone find that foods affect you in a big way...aside from just caffeine and sugars...
It's good to hear you are finding some relief from depression with having more time to yourself. How fortunate that your dh can take your son to work.

Yeah, I am very sensitive to foods. When I had PPD the first time it was soooo hard because we were encouraged to use frozen foods like frozen lasagna or pizza or whatever to just "get through". When I eat frozen foods I get really irritable. It's like the chemical additives in it just make me rangy. I really have to eat nutritiously or else my mood goes all wonky. I also have to eat small meals frequently throughout the day (like eat every 2-3 hrs). What about you?

Old 09-19-2009, 11:09 AM

i did not find that radically changing my diet made any difference at all in my mood.

i tried, i really really did.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
If you can stick it through the initial side effects, they should fade away and then you experience the *benefits*! I felt blah in my stomach on Effexor when I took it. Not so much with Wellbutrin or Prozac. I had different side effects with those. Just know that you are safe, just because your tummy is doing that doesn't mean it's always going to be like that. This will pass.

Which ad were you put on? Was it the same as what you took before? Did you find it helpful for your PPD?
I was on zoloft before now I'm on lexapro and bc. when I was on zoloft my anxiety went up a bunch when I started or increased the dosage. I don't remember having the stomach problems but then again when I'm depressed I have a hard time eating. I think my mood has gotten worse since starting the lexapro on Monday. I wake up every morning at anywhere between 1-4 am with anxiety and a grumbling stomach. I have this insatiable hungry but can't eat because of the nausea. When I can finally eat it doesn't matter what I eat it doesn't get rid of that feeling in my stomach. My mood is flat. Nothing is making me happy. The thought of getting up everyday and thinking about what I have to do is overwhelming. Laundry isn't getting done. the floors are nasty. All I can do is just mope around. I hate this I hate this I hate this.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

wow, lots going on here right now...

coco4cloth,

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time! A big hug from me to you, I have been there. Are you getting an aerobic exercise? Can you drink some herbal tea's? Oatstraw would be great for nourishing and helping w/stress. Breath, Drink Water, Be gentle on yourself, ask yourself what you need....blessings mama

littlewillow,

did your Gyno test your hormones?

I would agree that isolation would be aggravating your PMDD/Depression...I would say it is not the cause but it is not helping and in my experience it is necessary to go at healing from all possible angles.

I have to say that I didn't completely feel comfortable with the statement "You are Safe" in regards to being on pharmaceuticals and the beginning effects of the Anti Depressants: They do come with their risks.

That said, it is up to all of us to make our own choices for what is best and it is good that we have all these different experiences here.

I believe the underlying issues at work here are imbalance....I see the imbalance from a holistic perspective and it started years and years ago when we started killing the Native Americans, chopping down our forests and killing our wolves....

A Wise healer womyn once told me that womyn are connected to the earth by an invisible umbilical cord and our earth is in a sad state right now as are it's people...so much imbalance and disharmony...

Healing ourselves and our families is a very important thing and we are all on this journey I believe.

love and light

dust.gif
Old 09-20-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post
I have to say that I didn't completely feel comfortable with the statement "You are Safe" in regards to being on pharmaceuticals and the beginning effects of the Anti Depressants: They do come with their risks.
ADs certainly do come with risks. Certainly the person who is taking them is the one living in their body and will know what they can or can't live with.

I simply said, "You are safe," because when we are feeling panic or anxiety and feel unsafe, it doesn't necessarily mean we are not safe. Just because we feel like something terrible is going to happen, doesn't mean it will happen. Sorry, that was my CBT hat coming out to counter the fearful thoughts. I was in a rush and didn't articulate clearly.

We are all on our journey, that's for sure. I hope each of us finds what is helpful to us.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hoo-faaah... I'm finally caught up.

mystic~mama... SO HAPPY that you are FINALLY getting some relief and appear to have found a decent therapist. I really hope it continues that way. I think about you often and rack my brain for new things that I might pitch to you here even though I'm not on here often.

surfacing... also glad to see you feel more at ease with the idea that this is truly a physical issue; and have the data to support it.

coco4cloth... I kind of see what (whomever it is) is saying about isolation certainly being an issue because that would send me over the edge; but it would make me depressed vs. the rage and impatience I feel with PMS/PMDD--ya know? Like mystic, I think it's probably not helping at all; but definitely not the heart of your problem. And I don't think getting out and about it going to fix it by any stretch.

As for me, I'm finally on a second month symptom free. This last month I was just taking the B-complex (plus add'l B-6) and vitamin D & C plus fish oil. I wasn't even consistent about it because I was away for 4 days and forgot everything except the B-comp, B6 & D.

I'm noticing that I bleed a lot heavier now, though. Weird.

But dude... NOTHIN'! I'm stunned. Thrilled, but stunned. And I'm under so much stress and chaos at the moment that I have no idea how I'm not completely flipping out at a... wait... I am snapping here and there. Okay, okay--but still, NOTHING like what would be expected given all that's happening (WAY too much to write, but strangers are coming to my aid to help in bits and pieces--that's how overwhelming it is)

So I"m VERY. HAPPY..

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

heather, wow, I am very happy for you...did the relief of PMS coincide with going Gluten Free?

I appreciate you thinking of me, thank you

dust.gif
Old 09-29-2009, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
mystic~mama... I've never been COMPLETELY gluten-free. I just do very limited gluten and I've been doing that for about 5 years. I've been dairy-free for 6 years--completely--after being a serious milk-a-holic. But I didn't see a difference in that, either.

But that's me. I know that grains of any kind can throw people. That being said, I really can't function completely grain-free. I think people are different that way.

I'm really hoping you find relief.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

User Tag List