Life w/PMDD/Severe PMS Support... - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#421 of 634 Old 11-02-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey mamas, I am also curious if anyone else wasn't completely satisfied with their experience working with a Natureopath for PMDD?

not to put down natural medicine AT ALL! I just think that can be a very strong imbalance and after working w/a natureopath for 5 months, here I am on meds...

dust.gif
#422 of 634 Old 11-02-2009, 03:06 PM

i tried for 2 years. two years of supplements, diets, yoga, acupuncture, meditation, deep breathing, EFT and therapy. nothing changed as far as my mood. in fact, it was just getting worse.

for me, PMDD seems to follow a pattern in my life of mood disturbances. it's been this way since my late teens... anxiety, agitation, depression, PMS and PMDD.

recently, i learned about being right brained. we right brained people are very prone to mood disorders and difficulty with emotional regulation. the other thing i read in that book on PMDD was that blood tests discovered that women with PMDD have the same blood levels of hormones as non-PMDD women. so, in my case i kinda think it's not a matter of too much estrogen, but rather for some reason my serotonin levels are really easily affected by cyclical hormone changes. is it because i am right brain dominate? i have no idea. maybe. i wonder how many women on this thread are RB.

anyway, i feel much healthier than i used to, but whatever was/is wrong with me doesn't respond well to natural treatments. it requires the big guns. i simply am not willing to go back to the agitation and anxiety and loss of emotional control. i'd rather take meds for the rest of my life than loose it with my kids ever again.

of course that is just my story and i am sure it is different for others.....

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#423 of 634 Old 11-02-2009, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post
not to put down natural medicine AT ALL! I just think that can be a very strong imbalance and after working w/a natureopath for 5 months, here I am on meds...
Sometimes you just need the meds. I had an AMAZING midwife who encouraged me to get meds in the first place, which were life-altering for me and my family. She said if you broke your arm, you wouldn't take supplements for it, you'd get a cast. There's having a down mood and then there's chemical imbalance that the medicine can treat.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#424 of 634 Old 11-02-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I am really glad more dialogue has come about regarding meds over natural remedies. I can very much relate to what you are both saying about meds...

It is day 19 of my med journey so I am just starting.

Ovulation was 2 days where I was a different person and the Poof! I was back,,,I haven't had that "magical" transformation happen that way for a long time.

Day 21 now so I am in the last stretch of my luteal phase and we shall see how it goes.

dust.gif
#425 of 634 Old 11-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I have considered uping my dosage to 20 mg....just for the PMS time and going back down, I got the OK from the DR to up it but I didn't specify I was thinking of just doing it during the last week of my cycle...

any thoughts on this?

I'm also thinking of sticking to 10 until Next ovulation and if I flip out again then increasing...

or

I thought If I am feeling really really bad like no improvement in my PMS this week take more

I would LOVe your thoughts!!
Really there's no way to know but to try it out, right? You could try taking it for the week before your period and see if that is enough. Or if you need that extra support all the way from ovulation to menstruation, you could try it like that for those two weeks too. You could wait and see.

Do you have a really bad day or two of ovulation, and then okay again for awhile until closer to menstruating?

(Just for the record, I usually have a very b*tchy 2 days around ovulation and then okay until 1 week premenstrual.)

Did you ever end up being able to open up that link with the study I posted here? Just wondering.

Be well

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#426 of 634 Old 11-02-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Really there's no way to know but to try it out, right? You could try taking it for the week before your period and see if that is enough. Or if you need that extra support all the way from ovulation to menstruation, you could try it like that for those two weeks too. You could wait and see.
I'm concerned about changing the dose on myself like that, I know your not suppost to stop taking it cold turkey and I"m wondering if messing with my dose back and forth would be bad. Maybe I could do 15 mg...

Quote:
Do you have a really bad day or two of ovulation, and then okay again for awhile until closer to menstruating?

(Just for the record, I usually have a very b*tchy 2 days around ovulation and then okay until 1 week premenstrual.)
yes exactly that!

Quote:
Did you ever end up being able to open up that link with the study I posted here? Just wondering.
No

Clicking the link did nothing so I copied and pasted and it took me to a page that said didn't exist and I tried to find a menu and search for PMDD but came up with nothing.

dust.gif
#427 of 634 Old 11-03-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I'm concerned about changing the dose on myself like that, I know your not suppost to stop taking it cold turkey and I"m wondering if messing with my dose back and forth would be bad. Maybe I could do 15 mg...

yes exactly that!

No

Clicking the link did nothing so I copied and pasted and it took me to a page that said didn't exist and I tried to find a menu and search for PMDD but came up with nothing.

Mystic - it's ok to change the dose and stop cold turkey when you haven't taken it for a longer period of time.

How are you feeling now?
#428 of 634 Old 11-04-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishMom View Post
Mystic - it's ok to change the dose and stop cold turkey when you haven't taken it for a longer period of time.

How are you feeling now?
Its day 25 and I am feeling fine.

I am reading and ABSOLUTELY AMAZING book

http://http://www.selfleadership.org/store

it's the first book listed...wanting to share it with people because this is the first book I have ever read that really gets down to WHY people have such a hard time in relationships and how those parts of us get wounded in the first place and what we can do about them...that book is golden!

dust.gif
#429 of 634 Old 11-04-2009, 01:58 PM

So great to hear the Therapist is working for you. If/when you have the energy, if you could tell us more about that book, it would be appreciated (I have limited funds and a long Amazon Wishlist ).

Too bad you can't get to that study, it's wonderful in explaining HOW and WHY the SSRI seems to work. I'd be willing to print it out and mail it to you, if you want to PM your address. But no biggie. I just googled Ellen Wasserman, PMDD and SSRI -- this is what I found:

Regarding duration of treatment http://psychcentral.com/news/2009/05...apse/5798.html

PM symptom severity and length of treatment http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/c.../full/44/14/26

Cool stuff about serotonin and it's link with hormones http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/553603_2

Hope these help some.

Over here, dh BEGGED me on the weekend to PLEASE TAKE MORE PROZAC! My 1 week premenstrual began on Thursday and sure enough my old bedfellows: Anger, Irritability, Yelling, etc were happening. So I'm on the week of an increased dose and wow, it actually DOES make a difference! So wonderful. I'm so grateful for these drugs. If I didn't have them, my poor children.... and husband....

I'm home with walking pneumonia right now. These antibiotics that I got yesterday are finally kicking in. For the first time in a week I have no more raw sore throat! Yay! I feel the stuff in my ears popping! Yay! My chest is clearing up! Yay! We TTC this month and I swear I felt PG on the weekend but then it just went away.... took some early PG tests and they've been negative. Must wait a bit longer and find out what's happening.

Be well, all! Thanks for listening!

#430 of 634 Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 PM

I am so glad to find this thread! It will take me forever, but I will be reading all the info on here!
#431 of 634 Old 11-04-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Surfacing~ I had a reply written and lost it...

glad you shared about altering your dosage...I did that today too, I took 15 mg since the pills were easy to break in half...

oh and thanks for the links!!

I will write more about the book when I'm in a good mindset for making sense and I'm not always good at explaining what I've read

TexasG

very glad you found us! There are A LOT of posts here,,,some good info and some venting, i guess both are helpful when u r dealing w/ this ....

I was thinking if we could condense all the good links and resources down and I can add that to my first post or maybe we can get a sticky on the mental health forum that would be good...think I will work on that during these days of my cycle.... gives me something to divert my attention which is a good thing since DP is on his way home.... (i'm a bit nervous and so is he, I'm sure we will be okay....)

dust.gif
#432 of 634 Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

best wishes

dust.gif
#433 of 634 Old 11-05-2009, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Cycle Day 26

Medication Day 21 - 2nd day on 15 mg

had trouble sleeping last night, got up at 5:45 (not too bad) I felt very fidgety.

Thanks for reading mama's, hope you are having a good day.

dust.gif
#434 of 634 Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Is it possible that I conditioned him to get angry at this time of month?
This scenerio makes me think of the book The Dance of Anger by Harriet Lerner. She talks about how when we argue, there is a certain pattern of dance steps that we go by together. And when we change one of the steps, the other person cries CHANGE BACK! because they know the steps to the old dance, not the new one. Change brings about anxiety, and the anxiety evokes the CHANGE BACK response.

It could be possible that he is responding this way because he is used to the old dance. Yk?

#435 of 634 Old 11-05-2009, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for that reminder, I have read The Dance Of Intimacy, as well as Dance of.....Connection and Anger, could be something like this.

dust.gif
#436 of 634 Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

day 2

I DID NOT feel any of the PMS Crazies either!

that was a relief!

dust.gif
#437 of 634 Old 11-12-2009, 09:33 PM

I am joining this thread. I think I definitely belong here. Be back later.
#438 of 634 Old 11-13-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
day 2

I DID NOT feel any of the PMS Crazies either!

that was a relief!

#439 of 634 Old 11-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Hey girls. So after months and months of suffering I decided to go get help. I have been on AD for 7 weeks now and it has worked wonders. I had my first symptom free period I am not one to jump on medicines in fact they scare the crap out of me but I felt like at this point it was try that or lose everything. The first 2 weeks were really hard adjusting to the meds. but after that it was fine. I'm glad I got help. I hope everyone else is doing well.
#440 of 634 Old 11-14-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco4cloth View Post
Hey girls. So after months and months of suffering I decided to go get help. I have been on AD for 7 weeks now and it has worked wonders. I had my first symptom free period I am not one to jump on medicines in fact they scare the crap out of me but I felt like at this point it was try that or lose everything. The first 2 weeks were really hard adjusting to the meds. but after that it was fine. I'm glad I got help. I hope everyone else is doing well.
that is GREAT news mama!

I am in a similar boat, it is quite a relief, I have a different perspective on meds now..... there truly is good and bad in all things......

dust.gif
#441 of 634 Old 11-16-2009, 05:58 PM

I'm subbing I really need to be here. I will try to catch up, but am not sure I can, I think I'll join in from here on.

This month has been particularly bad. I even thought I may be pregnant, but alas, I am not. I have symptoms starting right after O until I start AF, they are affecting my relationship with DH I am so critical and bitchy, and I pick fights. I need to be left alone a great deal (but don't necessarily think that is wrong) BUT when anyone 'bothers' me (read, my DH) I can't tolerate it

I am ok with my kids, a little more short tempered, most of it goes to my lucky DH.

I will be reading and contributing

Whatever will be, already is...

#442 of 634 Old 11-17-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Mama, welcome!

I remember you from Single Parenting I believe...

I can COMPLETELY relate to the PMS coming out at your SO.

It's funny for me how my DP has been a lot more tolerable : )

dust.gif
#443 of 634 Old 11-17-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Hey Mama, welcome!

I remember you from Single Parenting I believe...

I can COMPLETELY relate to the PMS coming out at your SO.

It's funny for me how my DP has been MUCH more tolerable now that I am on meds....a lot of it was me....
Yes, I remember you from back before you met your DP and I met my DH, long time ago.

It is funny, much of this PMS didn't surface until DH was a part of my daily life. Before then if I needed space, I could take it. The kids don't affect me in the same way.

I think that it may be a sign of perimenopause for me (am afraid) someone told me there was that connection, and I am the right age. That would explain my difficulty conceiving Come to think of it, the 2 times I did manage to get pregnant (ended in m/c) were the months where PMS was not bad at all.

I am going through it right. now. DH's every action is getting on my last nerve. I am ultrasensitive.

I am actually taking some meds right now. I didn't make the decision lightly. I will share at a later time. I am also trying 5htp, and when I remember, flower essences work great! (but I tend to forget about them ) cal/mag. I am taking prenatals still from the last pregnancy. I also take maca, but I missed it the last couple of months (hmm, I wonder if the fact that it is out of my system is why it is so bad this month?)

Anyway, I am glad you are all here

G'night

Whatever will be, already is...

#444 of 634 Old 11-19-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

ovulation is frustrating this month.

dust.gif
#445 of 634 Old 11-25-2009, 09:11 AM

I came on here searching for something like this because I don't know where else to turn......I apologize I haven't had chance to read much of anything in the thread yet except the first page..I'm just glad I found it.

Nobody understands any of this and most people think it's just PMS and/or a joke, but I am utterly convinced I have PMDD, I have felt I have it since I heard about it 2 years ago. But I have no one to talk to about it.

I'll make this as brief a run down about me, myself and the evil PMDD as I can..

I was put on birth control at 15 because of severe mood swings and very heavy periods. I constantly switched to different ones because they never seemed to work, but hovered around Yasmin most of the time. I didn't come off it until last year when I found out I was pregnant at 22.
The last year/18 mo was absolute bliss without a period...and then it came back one month with a vengeance, disappeared again, came back...ugggg

I have been reading a book on the FAM but because my period isn't totally back it's really hard to calculate but I have figured out how to tell when I *think* I'm ovulating which I am pretty sure has been the last few days. I've been waiting and waiting for AF to start but nothing...it almost feels like my uterus is in a battle against my hormones because my 13 m/o is nursing constantly again battling her teething, so my whole body is confused on whether to have one or not

Last month however it seemed my hormonal 'swings' were the week after my period but now it seems as though it's the week/2 weeks before!? I find it hard to tell whether or not I'm being insane or if I'm just completely drained right now. DD is 13 m/o and is one of those not-the-easiest-of-sleepers. I'm in the Breaking Point Mama's support thread in the Night time parenting section..hopefully that says enough.

DH drives me absolutely berserk..he gets the worst of it, DD is too young but she still gets some because she is the reason I am so sleepless most of the time.

My marriage is young, a year and a half and we have always been a 'volatile' couple where we feel extremely strong emotions towards each other in love and arguments, but this is causing a huge barrier between us..I can't communicate to him, I don't want to half the time, every time he does and says anything I snap at him. I snapped at my mother through email out of nowhere.

I'm no longer on any kind of medication, I don't want to be either, I wanted to use the FAM but I am still breast feeding, a lot and will be for a while. I eat as best as I can, we only eat organic meat, no dairy, I cook almost everything, we don't have access to many organic anything and the soil here is cr*p. I was taking prenatal but have been slacking, I also take a probiotic.

I don't know what else to do. Last time I brought this up to a Dr. they brushed it off like it was just pms and always prescribe me birth control. I live on a base so the Drs here aren't the most natural-minded.

Ok, I"m going to read some of this loooooong thread now...thank god i'm not alone.
#446 of 634 Old 11-25-2009, 08:57 PM

LeoneLover13

#447 of 634 Old 11-26-2009, 08:15 PM

oh i´m so glad i found this. no idea how bad it is. on top of everything y have a DIU implanted 3 years ago, so it can get worse.

i have to read back!
#448 of 634 Old 11-27-2009, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

LeoneLover13 & paakbaak

glad you found us & I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I understand how confusing and frustrating it can be.

blessings and peace to you on your journey of healing

dust.gif
#449 of 634 Old 11-28-2009, 12:16 AM

wondering...i see lots of you are on meds, but is everyone taking the pill or any form of it? anyone find any help in something more natural?
#450 of 634 Old 11-28-2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paakbaak View Post
wondering...i see lots of you are on meds, but is everyone taking the pill or any form of it? anyone find any help in something more natural?
I was hoping to find out about that. It seems many in here have figured out their own vitamin routine with the b-complex's etc. but I haven't a CLUE where to start with that. I do not want to go on the pill again and I am not taking anti-depressants.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page