Life w/PMDD/Severe PMS Support... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 11-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the different levels of pms, severe etc... I don't know how I could possibly go several months documenting to find the patern. I am so scared to have it rear it's ugly head even one more time. I know I have something, I really don't want to go another month through that hell. I am going to see my dr. on Tuesday and i will get on the pill at that time and am going to start taking B6 and other b vitamins, calcium, fish oil and continue my multi. I am hoping for some reliefe this month.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post
On the different levels of pms, severe etc... I don't know how I could possibly go several months documenting to find the patern. I am so scared to have it rear it's ugly head even one more time. I know I have something, I really don't want to go another month through that hell. I am going to see my dr. on Tuesday and i will get on the pill at that time and am going to start taking B6 and other b vitamins, calcium, fish oil and continue my multi. I am hoping for some reliefe this month.
for me i have a spike and peak pattern meaning, at ovulation I have 48 hrs of funky hormones then back to normal until the pre menstral.

def go to your DR, documenting helps also, I can email u the chart if u want just send me your addy it helps chart the symptoms each month.

dust.gif
Old 12-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh man, I'm currently six days past ovulation and I feel terrible. I guess the B6 wasn't that effective after all though it does make a small difference. I just feel so sad and I'm stressed out which makes it much worse. I haven't ordered the supplements and amino acids that I wanted to because I'm unable to make any decisions when I feel so depressed. I'm probably afraid it wont be effective after all. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm stupid for not trying SSRI's but the thought of medicine makes me to scared to even consider it. My DP is taking paxil (very low dose) but he is unable to stop because the he gets these horrible neurological symptoms. The risk of sexual side effects scare me to. I know paxil are worse than others but still.... I need to get off my butt and order some 5-HTP and a few other things.

Just need to vent and perhaps a BTDT hug would be nice....

I hope you are all doing okay?

Anne
Old 12-06-2008, 02:04 AM

When I first met my DH, my PMS? was sooo bad. After dating for over a year, he said that if we didn't find a cure for it, we could never ever talk about a forever together - and YES it REALLY was that bad. He did lots of research for me and found Evening Primrose Softgels. DH even paid for it for me because at that time money was definitely a big issue for me. I am quite relieved to say that I now take it all month long because not only does it make me feel that I am no longer emotionally freefalling with no bottom in sight, but it also improves my short term memory which was originally to the level of being a disability. I take 7000mg of Evening Primrose every day even though that is way more than it says you should, but I know my body and I am at the optimal level for me.
I also now take an oldish medication called desipramine with excellent results. They both do different things for me but I have learned to tell which one needs to be increased when I start having break through symptoms (very hard to do at first). I am at a pediatric starter dosage with the desipramine, and that is enough because I am hypersensitive to medications. I can only increase it 10 mg at a time(years ago, I actually lost a job when I went up 25 mg's all at once).
btw - My DH and I just celebrated our 10th anniversary
He is such a great support and an amazing person. When he met me, I was single parenting 2 special needs kids.(what is the abbv's for that?) DH is the one who got me to start having confidence in myself, etc which has helped me as a parent, too.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishMom View Post
oh man, I'm currently six days past ovulation and I feel terrible. I guess the B6 wasn't that effective after all though it does make a small difference. I just feel so sad and I'm stressed out which makes it much worse. I haven't ordered the supplements and amino acids that I wanted to because I'm unable to make any decisions when I feel so depressed. I'm probably afraid it wont be effective after all. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm stupid for not trying SSRI's but the thought of medicine makes me to scared to even consider it. My DP is taking paxil (very low dose) but he is unable to stop because the he gets these horrible neurological symptoms. The risk of sexual side effects scare me to. I know paxil are worse than others but still.... I need to get off my butt and order some 5-HTP and a few other things.

Just need to vent and perhaps a BTDT hug would be nice....

I hope you are all doing okay?

Anne
Hi Anne,

a very very big hug to you! take a deeeep breath i know its hard to feel it now but it will pass you will feel good again....

lately i've been going out for walks and that helps blow off steam:

and believe me I know its hard but try and keep busy, do something creative, something you enjoy with your hands
and dont foreget, you are not alone! :

dust.gif
Old 12-06-2008, 05:13 PM

Mystic~mama: Thanks for your sweet and supportive reply. Yes, I do take calcium. I take all the vitamins and minerals recommended for the PMS/PMDD and it does help - just not enough. Two years ago I was having suicidal thoughts every cycle and now I'm depressed, anxious and very very tired but at least not suicidal - that happens very rarely now. BTW I do feel a bit better today. You are right that it really helps to stay active one way or another. Otherwise I sink in to a horrible funk.

BTW: I have bought access to a natural treatment database. It's all research based and all recommendations are divided into different categories depending on the level of evidence. PM and I'll gladly share the password. It has tons of info about treating all kinds of disease and problems naturally.

Anyone here who have used Julia Ross' approach from the mood cure??? That is what I'm trying to do with the amino acids I want to start taking.

It seems like we have all experienced some kind of problems in our relationship due to PMDD. In my case my DP can find it quite hard to even look at me when I'm depressed. I totally get that. It must be quite weird because I'm very happy during the first half of my cycle. During the first part of our relationship he wasn't terribly supportive but that changed after he found out how bad it is. He's a doctor and suggested that I'd give st. johns wort a try.

Gotta go now.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mystic~mama: Thanks for your sweet and supportive reply. Yes, I do take calcium. I take all the vitamins and minerals recommended for the PMS/PMDD and it does help - just not enough. Two years ago I was having suicidal thoughts every cycle and now I'm depressed, anxious and very very tired but at least not suicidal - that happens very rarely now. BTW I do feel a bit better today. You are right that it really helps to stay active one way or another. Otherwise I sink in to a horrible funk.

BTW: I have bought access to a natural treatment database. It's all research based and all recommendations are divided into different categories depending on the level of evidence. PM and I'll gladly share the password. It has tons of info about treating all kinds of disease and problems naturally.

Anyone here who have used Julia Ross' approach from the mood cure??? That is what I'm trying to do with the amino acids I want to start taking.

It seems like we have all experienced some kind of problems in our relationship due to PMDD. In my case my DP can find it quite hard to even look at me when I'm depressed. I totally get that. It must be quite weird because I'm very happy during the first half of my cycle. During the first part of our relationship he wasn't terribly supportive but that changed after he found out how bad it is. He's a doctor and suggested that I'd give st. johns wort a try.

Gotta go now.
hello....i'll take a look at that database sometime, will pm u later. I ordered New Chapters Serofin today which seems alittle stronger than the SC27 (st johns) i am already taking, i read more about it today so i am giving SJ's my best shot, it sounds comperable to prozac but herbal.

dust.gif
Old 12-13-2008, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

hi mamas ~ hows it going?

hope all is well Danish Mom

dust.gif
Old 12-20-2008, 12:12 PM

Hi Everyone~

I suffer from terrible PMS and recently found out about PMDD. Physically I have nausea/GI trouble, but mentally and emotionally, I am a mess. I am 39 (today) and it has gotten increasingly worse. During PMDD, I want a divorce and want to die (not suicidal, just wish I would be in an accident or something). I feel awful to write this, but it just stinks so much because this is not what I'm normally like at all. It is completely disrupting my life and having an affect on my relationships. I missed my family's early Christmas gathering because I could not stop crying. A few days before I screamed my head off at my dh and ds. I'm ready to go on anti depressants, but after reading/skimming the posts, I think I will see my naturopath to try natural remedies first. Honestly, I don't care what I do or take at this point, I just need help.

I currently am filling out a daily record of PMDD problems, but can't imagine doing this for 2 more months without getting help. We have a trip scheduled for January during my PMDD time, and I'm thinking about canceling it because I know I'll be a mess. Here is a good website which has a record to keep for severity of problems to give to a doc to be diagnosed: http://pmdd.factsforhealth.org/have/dailyrecord.asp

I am so glad to have found you guys.

to dh , dd 18 , dd 13 , ds 10 , & ds 6
hale
Old 12-20-2008, 01:57 PM

Hello everyone,
Wow, I am so relieved to have found this thread!: I feel like I have been suffering with this in silence for so many years thinking I was going crazy. For me, I get a day of complete crying, depression, sadness around the time I ovulate. Then about 1 week before emo I get sad, lonely, bouts of crying, and depression. It seems as if all of my life's issues (past and present) come up at this time. I could never figure out "what was wrong with me" that I couldn't "move on" from issues because everything creeps up on me at this time.

About two years ago I started to keep track of my cycle because we wanted another child. To make a long story short, I discovered this pattern by accident. All this time I had been blaming myself and others told me I was just oversensitive and not strong enough. People are finally starting to believe me when all the YAZ PMDD comercials came out. Anyway this is what worked for me in past years and was suggested by my doctor.

I HAVE to exercise. That seems to make a huge difference.

Birth control makes a difference too. I noticed more crying and depression feelings after stopping birth control.

I was taking calcium, magnesium, B vitamins, multi-vitamin, and a generic form of prosac. The prosac was only during emo for aprox. two weeks. I also kept to myself the day I thought it would hit me the worst.

Now, I just gave birth to DD in October and am exclusively breastfeeding. I had no symptoms during my pregnancy, but AF has started up again along with the symptoms. Everyone tells me I have post-partum depression but I think it is all my symptoms coming back. AF came right after the latest crying bout and I was fine after a few days.

I love everyone's suggestions, especially diet changes. I already gave up caffene, chocolate, and dairy due to nursing and DD's reflux issues. Does anyone have any suggestions for nursing mom's? I was hoping that I could start to treat it before it hits me terribly again.

I know this got long, but it was so nice to have somewhere to talk about all of this. I felt soooo alone in this. Thank you for starting this thread. It is so nice to have support!!!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:59 PM

PS ladybugmama, keep talking to us! I want to give you a hug.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:23 PM

hello, i am so glad i stumbled on this thread. i have been lurking here for awhile. i have had severe pms since i came off depo-provera in march. i was on depo for almost 6 years to manage endometriosis.

my symptoms include depression, a constant feeling in the pit of my stomach almost like homesickness, crying for no reason and severe anger. i didn`t really recognize the pattern until this past month. i ruined our honeymoon in september by being a screaming crazy woman for no reason. since then i had one more cycle where i yelled so much at my husband and i even drove to work, and then drove home to yell at him some more! anyway, this cycle i started taking magnesium, a multivitamin and b6 and bcomplex. so far it has helped a little.:

i want to have a baby so bad, but we both agree that until i get this under control we should wait. but honestly, i wanted a baby so bad this last cycle i cried when AF came. dh says we should wait still, but won`t give me any time frame.

sorry this was long and i doubt it makes any sense.

hugs to all you mamas suffering!
Old 12-20-2008, 05:30 PM

Welcome new mama's (mama's to be). Glad you found us

I am about to enter my "time of the month" and am feeling a lot of fear about what will/could happen over Christmas.

I visited my Dr. and pretty much said "Give me the pill" and because he is a good dr, he said no, let's wait about 3 months before we decide on that.

He prescribed fish oil (a lot of it), Bcomplex, B6 and a good multivitamin. I am also taking a chinese herbal called "free and easy wanderer" by "Plum Flower." My naturalpath friend recomended it. I am hopeful but have not actually been through a cycle yet, but I am hoping with the knowledge I have acquired I can pull myself away if necessary.

I have big issues with anger, depression, anxiety and physically feel completely exhausted! I will fly off the handle at any little remark from DH, or get easily irritated by my kids and scream at them. It is hazordous to my family, know one deserves a wife/mom like me at that time. It is so sad for me to think of who I become, it is the true Jekyl and Hyde. I only find comfort in knowing that I know I am not crazy and that there is hope in finding ways to deal with it.

Hang in there ladies.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
Old 12-22-2008, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas, I am truly happy to see that more women have found this thread...I was wondering about it/you lately.

dust.gif
Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 AM

mystic~mama: Thank you for starting this support thread and for all the time you have taken to post!!

I did very well last month - I actually only had three bad days and I think it was unrelated to PMDD - it just happened at that time. I still think the B6 made a huge difference. So that's two good cycles in a row - for the first time in five years. My DP thinks the difference is huge and is so happy for me. Please look into the research done on vit. B6 - 150 mg. a day. There is a lot of evidence, it's recommended by doctors too and not just as an alternative treatment.

momofPL, herbmama3-7, courtrn and ladybugmama s to all of you.

Merry Christmas to all of you.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
mystic~mama: Thank you for starting this support thread and for all the time you have taken to post!!

I did very well last month - I actually only had three bad days and I think it was unrelated to PMDD - it just happened at that time. I still think the B6 made a huge difference. So that's two good cycles in a row - for the first time in five years. My DP thinks the difference is huge and is so happy for me. Please look into the research done on vit. B6 - 150 mg. a day. There is a lot of evidence, it's recommended by doctors too and not just as an alternative treatment.

momofPL, herbmama3-7, courtrn and ladybugmama s to all of you.

Merry Christmas to all you.
thanks Anne, So glad to hear your good news! That gives me (and all of us I'm sure more hope)

I will look more into B6, there is a lower amount in my B Complex I am taking.

I feel a difference in myself...its in my reactions...I will get triggered but the effect seems to wear off much quicker, before the emotion stuck around and hung on harder now, it feels like it much more quickly fades and I am less reactionary. I feel like this since the St Joans Wort and the Estrotone. but I'm feeling its more the St Johns....

dust.gif
Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the tips ladies. I was taking B complex, and will have to try the B6this next month. It is very good to know there is something we can do to make this better.

My cycle is still all over the place right now. I think I have gotten my period twice this last month. I can tell my emotions are up and down too. My DD is 11 weeks old and my period came so soon after the first six weeks I cannot tell what is going on. I am exclusively breastfeeding, but did get this with my first child too. I wasn't expecting it over Christmas! So far I am doing fine just some sadness and lonely feelings. However, I am having a difficult time deciding if it is the PMDD or a result of the recent events? I am not sure probably some of both. Lack of sleep can make it so much worse. On the up side DD is starting to sleep for 4 hour stretches at night!: I can tell as I am feeling so much better this morning.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

thx mamas for being here. I'm glad I have this place to come to.

dust.gif
Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for reading and being around mamas, I just dont feel like listening to my friends say, take deep calming breaths.

dust.gif
Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 PM

I'm so sorry this happened mystic~mama.

Anne
Old 12-24-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm so sorry this happened mystic~mama.

Anne

thx for being here Anne

dust.gif
Old 12-25-2008, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

I am back home with my family, things are OK there...

I just cannot sleep, same thing last night, this happened last month too...so I'm up working, at least I can focus on that and not be stressed about my job.

dust.gif
Old 12-27-2008, 01:13 AM

subbing!!!!

i'm so glad to see this thread! i get severe PMS. it effects me so badly about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks out of the month. before my period, i get extreme headaches that are literally nauseating. i never need naps, but before my period i find myself physically exhausted. i also find my normal ability to have patience is incredibly difficult. i don't suffer from depression, but i become irritable (like everyone becomes so stupid to me...isn't that mean!). the headaches are the worst part though. my husband can always tell when it's a week or 2 before my period i try to take rescue remedy around my period, but it doesn't seem to really help.

when i searched online, it seems the only thing i could find was for prescription anxiety pills or anti-depressants and such. i'd rather steer clear of that if at all possible. anyway, glad to find this thread! i was searching for something to help me!!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 12-27-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Please look into the research done on vit. B6 - 150 mg. a day. There is a lot of evidence, it's recommended by doctors too and not just as an alternative treatment.
thank you!!! i am going to purchase this TOMORROW!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 12-27-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

thank you.

dust.gif
Old 12-27-2008, 07:40 PM

Mystic~mama: I'm really sorry to hear that things are hard between you and your DP. I was wondering what kinds of treatment you've already tried for PMDD?

Elizawill: If you read the entire thread I've posted some links with great info. If you google use words such as "PMS/PMDD + supplements", "PMS/PMDD+alternative treatment", "PMS/PMDD and natural treatment methods". That you should provide you with some good links. Also PMS+B6.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mystic~mama: I'm really sorry to hear that things are hard between you and your DP. I was wondering what kinds of treatment you've already tried for PMDD?

Elizawill: If you read the entire thread I've posted some links with great info. If you google use words such as "PMS/PMDD + supplements", "PMS/PMDD+alternative treatment", "PMS/PMDD and natural treatment methods". That you should provide you with some good links. Also PMS+B6.
thx for writing...

I've tried nutritional and herbal

calcium
b complex
vitex
st johns (been on it 5 weeks)
other herbs, oatstraw/dandelion/burdock ect...

exercise

counseling

whole foods organic diet w/no refined stuff

stress reduction

in the past I have been SUPER vigilant about my diet and to no avail.

understandpmdd.com has a neat tracking tool for free

dust.gif
Old 12-27-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post

I feel like I dont know who I am like my self gets taken away from me and i am being shoke up by this force that is beyond my control.

i am okay at this moment and have had peace for the rest of my day but i'm just worn out from all this.
I know exactly what you mean! I think you should try 150mg. of B6 and make sure you get the right dose of st. john's wort too. Have you thought about taking kava kava on bad days?

If that doesn't help I think trying conventional medicine for a couple of cycles is a good idea. At least it's important to know that you are doing what you can. Let me know if I can help you in anyway.

I'm O'ing and wondering what is waiting around the next corner this month. The last two cycles have been very good after starting the B6 but I've been through such hard times that I'm still scared to go there again!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:02 PM

mystic~mama, I am so sorry this is all going on for you. I know it can be so tough to figure all this out. I too have some cycles where it seems as if nothing I try works well. You seem to have tried so much.

It is ultimately you decision to try conventional medicine or not. I have personally tried it and it made a difference for me. I did not take them my entire cycle, but only when I needed them. I would start taking them a few days before I knew things would start acting up which was about 1 week before my period. I would stop taking them after my period would begin. It was approx. 10-14 days. That in combination with the vitamins, exercising, and diet worked beautifully. I wish you the best and hope that things get better for you.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

I am thinking of trying B 6

dust.gif

User Tag List