Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#631 of 634 Old 07-30-2014, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Would anybody care to join in for an update?

I am having really bad PMS right now... am on meds and they take the edge off my irritability and behaviour but don't totally squash out any unpleasantness. Ahem.

How's everybody coping? My family feels like running for the hills right now with my mood. It's tough. I feel so down and in despair, and irritable. I know once Aunt Flo comes it'll go away.

I am feeling very overwhelmed right now by all the things I am trying to do as a mother. And I feel lonely. Thanks for listening.

You poor thing. I know what you're talking about. PMS sucks big time!

One tactic I have used in the past is to tell myself over and over again - out loud or in my head, depending on where I am - that: "It's just PMS. It's not real emotions and will pass". I would say this over and over again, sometimes crying because the intensity of emotion would be so bad. It works for me. Because really, an emotion during PMS not a real emotion and the fact that my mood could so quickly switch over to normal just showed me that the emotion was definitely not real and it would go away.

Please read what I have done for my PMS / PMDD - I have never taken any medications for it because when I tried some SSRI's at very low dose in the past, I got some bad side effects and so I didnt want to go that route because I did not believe it would be helpful for me - I didnt want no relief and then side effects on top of the PMS / PMDD.

Anyway, I hope you do find some relief soon.
#632 of 634 Old 08-02-2014, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Good post, pms-zone. I agree with your recommendations for certain supplements and a healthy diet.

When I regularly take omega 3, I feel much better. I love Barlean's Fish Oil.
Magnesium--do you ever have a chocolate craving during that time of month? That may be a magnesium craving in disguise! Why not try some raw cacao powder, which is loaded with mag, or just find a good mag supplement.
Niacin, a B vitamin, has been used with great success for treating mental disorders, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, etc. Dr. Andrew Saul on Youtube is a good place to learn more. I began supplementing with Niacin several months ago with great results. I use a flush variety, taken several times throughout the day.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#633 of 634 Old 08-04-2014, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybird View Post
Good post, pms-zone. I agree with your recommendations for certain supplements and a healthy diet.

When I regularly take omega 3, I feel much better. I love Barlean's Fish Oil.
Magnesium--do you ever have a chocolate craving during that time of month? That may be a magnesium craving in disguise! Why not try some raw cacao powder, which is loaded with mag, or just find a good mag supplement.
Niacin, a B vitamin, has been used with great success for treating mental disorders, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, etc. Dr. Andrew Saul on Youtube is a good place to learn more. I began supplementing with Niacin several months ago with great results. I use a flush variety, taken several times throughout the day.
Yes Beckybird - I do eat organic raw cacao products. I find that because they contain whole foods, I dont need to eat so many of them. Yum! And you're right about magnesium deficiency during PMS relating to a chocolate craving!

There's actually a ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 supplement (the omega 3 is usually fish oil and the omega 3 is usual evening primrose oil). I think the DHA/EPA (Omega 3) : GLA (Omega 6) is 3:2, which is the right ratio for the body at any time, but especially during PMS. I used to use one supplement with this ratio and it was so good for my brain too - I felt so mentally sharp all month (due to the essential fatty acids in the Omega 3 and 6 and their activity on brain functionality).

The whole B vitamins are good for the nervous system - you probably shouldnt take just a single supplement and especially not for a long time and not in high doses unless you know you are definitely deficient in it as you could be disturbing your body's natural homeostasis, even if you're taking it in small enough doses over the course of the day. While Niacin is essentially non-toxic and any side effects do stop once the nutrient is ceased, there are some cautions with Niacin (any form) - so just look them up and make sure you're not overdoing it. People dont realise they can overdose on vitamins / minerals / other supplements...

But the diet is really key to helping with PMS!
#634 of 634 Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Not sure if it was mentioned on the thread yet or not, but Period Vitamin is a supplement specifically meant to help address PMS/PMDD, worth looking into. It combines herbs & vitamins, instead of taking 10 different pills that do the same, and the site lists the literature showing why/how each one works.
lilgreen likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page