Life w/PMDD/Severe PMS Support... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 626 Old 12-30-2008, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I watched a video of Eckhart Tolle, The Blossoming of the Human Consciousness and I found it very helpful.

dust.gif
#62 of 626 Old 12-30-2008, 11:12 PM

I haven't read through all previous posts, but I wanted to jump into the convo anyway. Hope that's ok. :-D

For as long as I've been menstruating I've suffered from severe mood swings resulting in suicidal depression. I don't have a formal diagnosis of PMDD, but it's obvious to me that I fit the description. Strangely, my moods are far, far more manageable when I'm pregnant. Too bad I don't want to have twenty kids.

I recently heard of a condition called Estrogen Dominance. By chance or by Providence, I happened to shortly thereafter come across the book "What your Doctor May Not tell you About Menopause" by Dr. John R. Lee. Well, I'm 25 years old, so I'm not menopausal by any stretch of the imagination, but this book was enlightening! I was expecting it to be another book by some quack, but this guy knows what he's talking about and he backs it up.

I definitely think my PMDD is related to Estrogen Dominance so this month I am starting NATURAL Progesterone Cream after ovulation. It is important to differentiate between natural progesterone cream and pharmaceutical progesterone which is actually progestin and is notoriously ineffective and the cause of many a bad side-effect.

I will let you all know how it goes.
#63 of 626 Old 12-31-2008, 01:08 AM

This is an interesting thread. Mostly because I have been trying to figure out why my PMS is getting so bad. Before having dd2 I had to take high doses of B6 because I was in a study for hyperemesis while pregnant. I am going to try taking my B6/Folic Acid combo for PMS....

You ladies are great thanks so much!:
#64 of 626 Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

hi "new" mamas, glad u found us...

I found this article:

http://www.womentowomen.com/menstrua...treatment.aspx

dust.gif
#65 of 626 Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi mamas.

This is my third cycle without PMDD and I'm so happy about. It seems to be a lasting effect! The only change during that time is that I've started taking 100 mg, vit. B6.

I hope things will look up for you mamas. How are you doing mystic?
#66 of 626 Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishMom View Post
Hi mamas.

This is my third cycle without PMDD and I'm so happy about. It seems to be a lasting effect! The only change during that time is that I've started taking 100 mg, vit. B6.

I hope things will look up for you mamas. How are you doing mystic?
awesome, i am very happy for you :

tomorrow i am going to get myself some b6

blessings~

P.S

How long were you taking it until you go relief ??

dust.gif
#67 of 626 Old 01-06-2009, 03:42 AM

Hi there mystic~mama,

Yeah it is amazing after five years of suffering so badly - getting in to arguments with my DP and being so depressed I'd even have suicidal thoughts.

It took about 2-4 days before I started to notice a difference but the effect was even stronger the next two cycles. I started taking it post-ovulation (five days after O) the first cycle so my mood was bad at that point and then the cycle actually ended with no symptoms the last six days before my period. Normally my mood wont lift until my period has been there for a day or two.

I started taking 300 mg. a day for the first couple of days - then down to 200 mg. for few weeks. I now take 125 mg a day on cycle day 1-11 and then increase a few days before O to 225 mg (I get 25 mg. from a VERY strong vitamin B-complex which I think is very important too). I go down to 125 mg. again a few days before my period starts when I can see there isn't any symptoms. The seems to be some controversy about the dose. Some say as little as 50 mg. should be effective but the most serious research I've found says 100-200 depending on where in the cycle you are. You should not go above 200 for more than a few days past O as it can cause neurological symptoms but these are reversible. I also think it's important to spread the dose so that you take it 2-3 times a day.

BTW magnesium is very important too. I was told by Panserbjørne, a mama here that seems very knowledgeable about the subject, to take calcium/mag. combo in the morning but magnesium alone in the afternoon and again before going to bed.

It really is weird - this cycle I felt a tiny bit sad at times for two days which is perfectly normal in my opinion but not depressed. I really hope this will work for you too mystic~mama. I found some links to research on the subject:
http://www.universityhealthindustrie...l-research.php
http://www.newhope.com/nutritionscie...9/natnews1.cfm

Keep us updated and good luck :-)
#68 of 626 Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishMom View Post
Hi there mystic~mama,

Yeah it is amazing after five years of suffering so badly - getting in to arguments with my DP and being so depressed I'd even have suicidal thoughts.

It took about 2-4 days before I started to notice a difference but the effect was even stronger the next two cycles. I started taking it post-ovulation (five days after O) the first cycle so my mood was bad at that point and then the cycle actually ended with no symptoms the last six days before my period. Normally my mood wont lift until my period has been there for a day or two.

I started taking 300 mg. a day for the first couple of days - then down to 200 mg. for few weeks. I now take 125 mg a day on cycle day 1-11 and then increase a few days before O to 225 mg (I get 25 mg. from a VERY strong vitamin B-complex which I think is very important too). I go down to 125 mg. again a few days before my period starts when I can see there isn't any symptoms. The seems to be some controversy about the dose. Some say as little as 50 mg. should be effective but the most serious research I've found says 100-200 depending on where in the cycle you are. You should not go above 200 for more than a few days past O as it can cause neurological symptoms but these are reversible. I also think it's important to spread the dose so that you take it 2-3 times a day.

BTW magnesium is very important too. I was told by Panserbjørne, a mama here that seems very knowledgeable about the subject, to take calcium/mag. combo in the morning but magnesium alone in the afternoon and again before going to bed.

It really is weird - this cycle I felt a tiny bit sad at times for two days which is perfectly normal in my opinion but not depressed. I really hope this will work for you too mystic~mama. I found some links to research on the subject:
http://www.universityhealthindustrie...l-research.php
http://www.newhope.com/nutritionscie...9/natnews1.cfm

Keep us updated and good luck :-)
I've been taking 100mg/day in my b complex for a month and I didnt see any improvement...reading your regime, I feel confused...

i quit taking all my stuff after the pmdd started this month.

i signed up for a 5 day spiritual retreat in less than a month ~ hoping to find some healing there as well.

dust.gif
#69 of 626 Old 01-15-2009, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

I've realized lately that the biggest factor in my PMDD is Emotions...those deep down emotions and needs for self care...

how is everyone doing?

dust.gif
#70 of 626 Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 AM

Hi Mystic mama, I can totally relate to the emotions, the deep down ones. It is definately what I struggle with the most at my "time of the month." Afterwords I look back and think, "what was the big deal, why did I let it get to me?"

I had a better month last month, still not great, I have tapered off of my B6 and other supps just out of lazyness, I will start tomorrow, as I am starting to get fearful of what could happen in about a week, I hate this stuff!!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#71 of 626 Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

herbmama3-7 I know the feeling! I'm taking B6 now and that's about it and mainly relying on a greater awareness and taking care of myself before...listening to those twinges of things that bother me and doing something about them. I am now starting to understand what I've heard from other womyn about...

how moontime is a time to go within...and to use the greater sensitivity for you own good...that this is what it is, an increased time of sensitivity and a time when things that are bothering you that you may not be thinking about will come up at that time and that is a good thing and also can be hard to handle when you have emotional issues but not impossible

dust.gif
#72 of 626 Old 01-24-2009, 05:56 PM

subbing...
#73 of 626 Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 PM

Just a quick note...
Has anyone read the "Red Tent" by Anita Diamante? It is an excelent book, I am reading a part on how they honor their moon times. It has some great insight into how important our moon is as a woman. I really suggest it!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#74 of 626 Old 01-25-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post
Just a quick note...
Has anyone read the "Red Tent" by Anita Diamante? It is an excelent book, I am reading a part on how they honor their moon times. It has some great insight into how important our moon is as a woman. I really suggest it!
I have a few years ago and I LOVED it...I want to read it again now...

I am on day 30 and so far I've done really really good this month, been taking B6 and honoring myself and my emotions.

dust.gif
#75 of 626 Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post
I have a few years ago and I LOVED it...I want to read it again now...

I am on day 30 and so far I've done really really good this month, been taking B6 and honoring myself and my emotions.
I feel like such a dummy. A few years ago after my 5 year old was born I was the member of another board. I had terrible cycles after around 6mos pp and I did a bunch of research and discovered that B6 deficiency was the likely cause. My symptoms then were very physical(mid cycle bleeding etc.) as well as the typical mood stuff. I started the B6 plus other Bcomplex vitamins and they went away, my cycle became regular and within a six months I was pregnant with my now 3 year old(I had been ttc with no luck)

I even advised someone on the other board who was having mid-cycle spotting to try the B6 and she did and immediately had her first cycle without midcycle spotting and the next cycle she became pregnant..we joked that I got her pregnant. She went on to have a healthy pregnancy. So back then I knew about B6 deficiency.

This time I have a shortened LP and a pms that starts at the beginning of ovulation and ends mid period but I don't have the mid cycle spotting and I didn't even think of B6...duh!

So after reading this thread I went to the store and bought some. I started with 200mg yesterday and today and will continue. I am due for my period on Saturday/Sunday. I've lost track of when I o'd this month but I think it was probably 4 or 5 days ago. I have been miserable, cranky and bloated until today. But I do have the odd good days in the LP.

Anyway..I'm taking 200mg for this month to rebuild my stores and to see if next cycle is any better.

I'm also 42 so there is likely some perimenopause issues as well. My mother entered menopause at 44.

I also have a multivitamin but it only has 2mg of B6..likely fine if you aren't deficient and you have a nice healthy diet.

I also read lots of water is very important to hormonal balance so I've made a renewed committment to that.
#76 of 626 Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

hi allgirls....I havent taken my B6/B for a couple days and I just did after reading your post...glad you found the thread and I am also glad to read about more successes with B6, one thing I have read is...

It is much better for you to take B6 with a B complex than on its own....

any thoughts on this mamas....DanishMom especially since you have done research on this.

I bought 100mg B6 and have been taking one with my B complex which has 100 mg in it.

I am on Day 1 now : I'm happy and relieved about that. I feel like I can pretty safely say that I have seen significant improvement this cycle...what a relief!

And I agree Drink Lots of WATER!!

dust.gif
#77 of 626 Old 01-26-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
hi allgirls....

any thoughts on this mamas....DanishMom especially since you have done research on this.

I bought 100mg B6 and have been taking one with my B complex which has 100 mg in it.

I am on Day 1 now : I'm happy and relieved about that. I feel like I can pretty safely say that I have seen significant improvement this cycle...what a relief!

And I agree Drink Lots of WATER!!
I think you do need to take it with a complex..oh my..you are triggering my memory. I DID take a complex as well. I have to get some!
#78 of 626 Old 01-26-2009, 01:17 PM

Heading over to take my b6/complex RIGHT NOW!

Thanks for the reminder everyone

#79 of 626 Old 01-27-2009, 12:25 PM

ok so this is cd 21...I usually run a 25/26 day cycle(though they can be as short as 18 and as long as 30)

I am cramping like af is imminent however I don't get cramps with af anymore. This is pretty intense. I am going to try red raspberry leaf tea for that but this is really ouchy

Also my sleep is disturbed. I think this is the worse part of pms...I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. I don't think the moodiness is as much hormonal for me as sleep deprivation. I'm really tired..I went to bed at 11pm and woke at 4am and might have dozed off around 6:30pm until my alarm went off at 7:30am. I'm crashing now. I feel really tired, I've had too much coffee and the cycle begins. I feel like crying because I know it's a bad week coming.
#80 of 626 Old 01-27-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is best to take B6 with a vit. B-complex - but watch out for lower recommended daily intake values. I bought a brand called Swanson's. It has vit. c in it too. It has very high values of all the B vitamins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
Also my sleep is disturbed. I think this is the worse part of pms...I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. I don't think the moodiness is as much hormonal for me as sleep deprivation. I'm really tired..I went to bed at 11pm and woke at 4am and might have dozed off around 6:30pm until my alarm went off at 7:30am. I'm crashing now. I feel really tired, I've had too much coffee and the cycle begins. I feel like crying because I know it's a bad week coming.
I know just how you feel. I can hardly work from lack of sleep caused by PMDD. However, cramping is made much worse from coffee so you might want to keep it at a minimum.

And me: I'm still doing a lot better after starting B6 but my mom is very sick and I spend every day with her at the hospital. I definitely feel the extra stress but not as bad as before!

Mystic: Glad to hear you are fine right now. I think it's a great idea to work with the emotions - after all they do come up for a reason even though they are made much stronger by PMDD.

My cycle is becoming a bit irregular and I'm afraid it's perimenopause. I'm 34 and want another child in a year or two.
#81 of 626 Old 01-27-2009, 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=DanishMom;13076952

My cycle is becoming a bit irregular and I'm afraid it's perimenopause. I'm 34 and want another child in a year or two.[/QUOTE]

My cycles started to become a bit irregular around age 35..not terribly so but noticeably so. I had a daughter at 37 and another at 39. I did have a chemical pregnancy in there. There are no guarantees but at 36 we concieved the first month we tried. At 38 it took longer but I was nursing so that was part of it.

Perimenopause can go on for years..I'm 42 and it's still going on though it has worsened in the past year. I really think I'm heading towards menopause in the next few years but I guess we'll see.
#82 of 626 Old 01-27-2009, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the comments about the B Complex with the B6! I have been trying the B6 and so far it seems to be working along with lots of exercise. I need to drink lots more water than I have been the last few days. I love this thread for this stuff, thank you so much ladies. Especially Danishmom and mystic~mom for all of your research and comments.

We will see what this next cycle brings. I just finished my period and this month went great due to everyone's suggestions. Next cycle may bring new challenges as this is my last week home on maternity leave. I have gotten almost 4 wonderful months off and will return to work until summer when I am home again. It will be interesting to see how I do with the added stress of working full time again and trying to deal with finding time to pump (in an elementary school) and deal with this. YIKES! Hopefully I can keep taking care of myself like this and continue all the exercising I have been doing. I must add for anyone that excercise seems to help me so much...for what it is worth. Now if only I could lose the baby weight...
#83 of 626 Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofPL View Post
Thanks for the comments about the B Complex with the B6! I have been trying the B6 and so far it seems to be working along with lots of exercise. I need to drink lots more water than I have been the last few days. I love this thread for this stuff, thank you so much ladies. Especially Danishmom and mystic~mom for all of your research and comments.

We will see what this next cycle brings. I just finished my period and this month went great due to everyone's suggestions. Next cycle may bring new challenges as this is my last week home on maternity leave. I have gotten almost 4 wonderful months off and will return to work until summer when I am home again. It will be interesting to see how I do with the added stress of working full time again and trying to deal with finding time to pump (in an elementary school) and deal with this. YIKES! Hopefully I can keep taking care of myself like this and continue all the exercising I have been doing. I must add for anyone that excercise seems to help me so much...for what it is worth. Now if only I could lose the baby weight...
So glad to hear you are doing better!! Yes, exercise is great. Just walking really fast for 20 minutes helps me a lot.

Keep us updated.
#84 of 626 Old 01-28-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

allgirls mama, hugs! I know that impending pms feeling (i'm teary right now just thinking of it s)....this cycle I was asking myself:

what are these feelings here to teach me? (I also think to myself, okay, I don't like this, it doesnt feel great to feel this way and I'd rather be my normal self but, this is a part of my cycle and it has a purpose so let me see what it can teach me and not forget it will pass, something like that.)

what exactly am I feeling right now beyond the tension? (what is behind that tension, what issue in me is thing bringing up for my attention?

I ordered the red tent and the dance of intamacy the other day, really looking forward to reading those again.

mamaofpl~ glad you found this thread and it was helpful I agree, exercise does help and if you can do it out in some real nature that is really healing to the soul as well. I am blessed to be living in the beautiful pacific northwest now and we did a beautiful hike this week, I felt so refreshed during and afterwards. Good luck on going back to work! Its nice you have your summer to look forward to.

dust.gif
#85 of 626 Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 PM

I'm so glad this thread is here. I've really been struggling with severe PMS, wondering at times if it's PMDD.

It started about 1 1/2 yrs ago- I wondered why sometimes I'd wake up in a cold sweat with my heart pounding and have nightmares, and my sleep even more disrupted than my usual (and sleep is usually really tough for me anyway), and this overall feeling of despair and hopelessness, and not coincidentally, unable to get along with the kids and extreme irritation with them and anger at people around me. One day it just hit me, with the night sweats, that this is what happened after I gave birth, and it was hormonal and it all clicked that this was PMS.

I saw an herbalist and got a few personalized tinctures, but then I got pregnant unexpectedly and never got to experience the effects of the herbs. Then I lost the pregnancy and things were better for a few months, but eventually went right back to how they were.

I did start taking Calc/mag and B complex when I started the herbs and the severe cramps and physical discomforts went away. Now it's just the emotional effects that are a major problem.

Thanks for all the reminders here- I hadn't been doing so well with staying hydrated, and now I am making a concerted effort to drink water. I've cut back on caffeine (but really do enjoy my am coffee), and drink chamomile tea from lunchtime on.

I want to add herbal teas or tinctures to my routine but there are so many different ones that may help, I don't know where to start. I don't want to take a bunch of stuff and not know what's helping and I can't buy all of these over the long term- I want to choose 1 or 2 and stick with them. I also need to get back into EFA's, but am not comfortable with fish oil, and don't know if just flax is adequate. I'm sure my adrenals and liver and everything else is probably tapped out, but I'd be on 500 different supplements and broke, if I took something for every single thing! I'm trying to stick to the essentials.

Re: B vitamins, can someone explain how megadoses are effective? As far I knew, they are water soluble and not stored by the body, so are peed out when the body hits it's limit.

I did read The Red Tent, several times, and love it. So many great insights there. I hadn't thought about taking time to turn inward during this time, paying closer attention to my emotions, and looking at that in a positive light.
#86 of 626 Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

hi Awaken (i love your user name ). I am happy you found us here...I think we women need to connect more and I think that is a part of pmdd.

hope all is well with everyone.

blessings

dust.gif
#87 of 626 Old 01-30-2009, 01:23 PM

Can I join? I am pretty sure I have PMDD as well. I have had problems with depression since before having kids and was on Prozac for several years till it quit working and now am taking Effexor XR. I have noticed since DD was born and AF came back that my worst times seem to be right before/during my period and a day or two around ovulation (I chart my cycles, so I can definitely tell when I have ovulated). This totally sucks, and definitely affects my relationships with DH and my kids. Around my period, I sometimes get migraines, feel REALLY tired, achy all over (even before flow starts), am SO easily set off by dumb stuff and irritable, get down to the depths of despair over stuff that would not bother me during my "normal" phase, could care less about how the house looks (basically just do enough to barely get by), my patience is shot, and I tend to lash out at DH and my kids out of nowhere. I HATE acting like that! It is tough too because DS is special needs (autism spectrum), and DD is just 3 (enough said there), and neither needs a wacko mommy yelling at them.

I have not tried any specific treatments yet other than Effexor XR which I take all month long for depression, but after reading about how B6 seems to help some of you, I think I am going to try that. Also, I know my greyhound would love it if I got out more often to take her on walks, so I am resolving to try and do that at least once a day too for exercise.

I would really like to have another baby someday soon too, but am having a hard time convincing DH as he says it seems like when I have this I have a hard enough time dealing with the two we already have. I want another child anyway, but I have to admit that the idea of getting rid of this for 2 years (9 months pg + 15 months no AF due to BF) sounds like a great idea to me too!

Is there anyone here who also deals with depression as well as PMDD? If so, and you take meds, have you tried increasing your dose during that time of month or adding additional meds during that time of month? Do you think that I should try discussing that option with my doctor? Obviously since I am hoping we have another baby, the pill is not what I want.

I am so glad to know I am not alone, and I hope all of us can find good ways to help cope with this!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#88 of 626 Old 01-30-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

jillmama

more later...

dust.gif
#89 of 626 Old 01-30-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
My cycles started to become a bit irregular around age 35..not terribly so but noticeably so. I had a daughter at 37 and another at 39. I did have a chemical pregnancy in there. There are no guarantees but at 36 we concieved the first month we tried. At 38 it took longer but I was nursing so that was part of it.

Perimenopause can go on for years..I'm 42 and it's still going on though it has worsened in the past year. I really think I'm heading towards menopause in the next few years but I guess we'll see.
My mom's cycle stopped at 40 and it's making me a little nervous. I've conceived very fast (and sometimes too easily) so that's a good thing!I wont have another one before I'm 36.

Jillmama + Awaken: Welcome, this is a great place for support.

I think existing depression can be made worse by PMS/PMDD. Upping the meds can possibly help. I think zoloft and other SSRIs are first choice.

I have problems with depressive feelings around O too. Now that my PMDD is almost gone I still feel my mood changing a lot around O. (another good cycle here despite my mom's illness and I'm four days short of AF). I tried to skip st.johns wort but felt worse so I guess I'll have to stay on it along with B6, B-complex, vitamin D and mag./calc.
#90 of 626 Old 01-31-2009, 02:47 PM

hi everyone, i just wanted to post that i am doing a little bit better since starting bcomplex/b6 and magnesium about 2 cycles ago.

this past cycle ( i am on cd 16 right now) i was still a bit of a 'lose cannon' and flipped out about a dust bunny and blamed my husband. so, i was still acting a little irrationally.

hope all you ladies starting the b vits get some relief, i am just about to move into my third cycle with the vits and i will see how i do.

hugs all around.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page