Life w/PMDD/Severe PMS Support... - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 626 Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
danish mom~

I did ask my natureopath about the higher doses of b6 and she didn't seem to think that would matter...maybe she is not educated about this... I remembered what I've read about it... I decieded to go with her plan for a month.

dust.gif
#242 of 626 Old 06-09-2009, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post
danish mom~

I did ask my natureopath about the higher doses of b6 and she didn't seem to think that would matter...maybe she is not educated about this... I remembered what I've read about it... I decieded to go with her plan for a month, which is almost here and today my triggers were very much triggered w/many different things coming up as usual that can trigger me and now I am in a sorry place with DP....

I thought I was getting better...

I always do...

I wish I could crawl in a hole and hide but I have to go to work....

its day 23
Hugs to you mystic. I'm also day 24. I'll reply later.
#243 of 626 Old 06-09-2009, 03:28 AM

So glad I found this forum.Hugs as I dont know what any of you are going through but I have thought my MOM has pmdd for awhile now,I am going to pass this on to her
#244 of 626 Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishMom View Post
Hugs to you mystic. I'm also day 24. I'll reply later.
thx DanishMom....feeling better...felt better yesterday once I was away from my partner for awhile, had a good day at work....

most of my problem is that I am triggered by my partner....I feel like I am pretty much okay aside from that...at this time of the month I am thinking about not being with him anymore....I am tired of feeling this way, of acting this way, I feel like I fail every time...

if it wasnt coming out with him would it find a new way to come out ?

I dont know.

eta...

Welcome Ecoteat and Aquafina, glad u found us

dust.gif
#245 of 626 Old 06-09-2009, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
thx DanishMom....feeling better...felt better yesterday once I was away from my partner for awhile, had a good day at work....

most of my problem is that I am triggered by my partner....I feel like I am pretty much okay aside from that...at this time of the month I am thinking about not being with him anymore....I am tired of feeling this way, of acting this way, I feel like I fail every time...

if it wasnt coming out with him would it find a new way to come out ? so maybe my wanting to run from our relationship is not the solution and I would just be running from my problem?

I dont know.
As I've told you I feel the same with my DP. I was PMDD free for six months but too much stress and the last two cycles have been awful. I feel unable to judge what is really going on with my DP. I don't know how much of this is about me and my PMDD and how much is about him being a jerk yk?

I'm glad to hear you are doing better. So am I after being alone the last two days. It really calms me down and I've spent so much quality time with my DS.
#246 of 626 Old 06-09-2009, 10:55 PM

I've had a terrible headache the past couple days, despite a wonderful night with my friends Saturday and a restorative yoga class Sunday. Yesterday I was miserable most of the day, but went to a friend's for dinner anyway since I figured I'd rather be blah with pleasant company than lounging around at home feeling sorry for myself. My friend asked me if I often get headaches and if I'm keeping track of them to look for patterns. I said I have been tracking them, but this one was unusual. But then I thought about it and looked back at my charts and - surprise! - I usually get a headache around day 15. It's normally a mild one that I can basically ignore, so the severity of this one was unusual, but the headache itself was not. So that was actually a little satisfying to realize it wasn't something totally out of my body's routine.

After reading here and elsewhere and realizing my multi only has 40 mg B6, I've started taking an additional B6 pill a day. I'm hopeful, but trying not to be too optimistic.

mystic~mama, even though my dh is wonderfully supportive, when I'm in a funk his very presence makes me want to scream sometimes. I feel defeated and like a failure when I'm at my worst, and it usually manifests itself as an inappropriate reaction to things dh has said. ("Why did you put that over there?" "DAMMIT! IF YOU DIDN'T WANT IT THERE YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE IT YOURSELF! I CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT, CAN I?") If your situation is anything like mine, I would guess your problem with your dp is not actually with him. Saturday morning when I was falling apart an dh was wondering what he did wrong, it took me a while between sobs to explain that whatever was bothering me so much was not external. It wasn't him, it wasn't the damn cucumber seedlings that reduced me to a pile of tears and angst, it was all me.
#247 of 626 Old 06-10-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

thx mamas I *really* appreciate it...I got nearly 11 hours sleep last night, I always seem to get more when DP is not here....I know getting lots of sleep helps me.

I am going to drink some coffee....caffeine probably not the best idea right now but i dont care and I also do add hot water to my coffee first and dump then simmer it to get rid of some of the Caffeine ... and accomplish some things today....doing things around my house is what makes me the happiest....

take care mamas

dust.gif
#248 of 626 Old 06-11-2009, 05:31 PM

I have a question... How do you handle a meltdown in front of your kids? My daughter just turned 3 and it's confusing to her when I cry for no apparent reason. I try to model being open with our emotions and understanding that all emotions are valid--even the scary ones. But when I'm about to fall apart for no reason, I usually subtly let dh know I'm disappearing for a reason and slip away before dd sees the meltdown.
#249 of 626 Old 06-11-2009, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

ecoteat...your ? really made me think........

dust.gif
#250 of 626 Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

I often come check this thread to see what Day I'm on when I forget...to my surprise it is day 28...it could be any time now....

I
So, thought I'd check in and say that it does appear I am making some progress, I have really stuck to my plan...I taped it on my cupboard where I see it very often....and having that written plan there in front of me I have found extremely supportive....

blessings and light mamas

dust.gif
#251 of 626 Old 06-14-2009, 12:07 PM

my eating plan and taking my supplements religiously seems to have helped me too... though DH seems to think i am crabby. i know i am better since i have not felt like smacking either of my kids in the last 48 hours.

going to florida and eating crabby really affected me and getting back on track has been good. i don't know how much weight i have lost but it's at least 10 pounds, going by how my clothes are fitting.

i forgot to mention i ran out of calcium and magnesium a week before we went away and i turned into a lunatic. it was horrible. i ran and got some substitute cal/mag and felt better pretty quick. i didn't know it was helping so much.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#252 of 626 Old 06-17-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

hey mamas...another update....

I found the plan I posted to be very helpful...day 1 and 2 of my period were more difficult than the PMS days...but, even these difficult days were not the horrible ones I've had before...I stopped the flower essences when my period started as my plan stated but I realize things got harder once I stopped them...so for me keeping up with those for 3-5 more days is good...

Impatiens, Holly and Crab Apple all helped me, especially the 1st 2...I wasnt sure how I felt about using them but I now see their healing powers...

wishing peace and blessings to you all

mm

dust.gif
#253 of 626 Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 PM

I'm in the middle of what I think is the most stable and sane af I've had in many months. I don't know what to attribute it to, but the two changes that I've made recently were weaning dd and taking more B6. I'm not getting too optimistic, but if next month goes this smoothly, I think then I'll try switching to a one-a-day multi instead of the 6-a-day ones I'm taking. (Mostly because I'm cheap. And taking that many pills, along with the fish oil and extra B6, is a lot of things to swallow!) I hope I didn't just jinx myself, but it's day 3 and I haven't gotten a headache or had a complete meltdown. I was feeling a little overwhelmed last Thursday, but that was totally understandable in any situation--it was the day before my last day of teaching for the year and 4 days before leaving for a major road trip. So keep your fingers crossed for me!
#254 of 626 Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

that is great ecoteat, I am happy for you, sending you good thoughts~~~

as for me....It is day 8 I believe...I have felt *awful* I am pretty depressed...going to talk to my DR and maybe do hair analysis...

it seems my times of feeling good and happy are shrinking and shrinking...

dust.gif
#255 of 626 Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 AM

I was flipping through my herbalist friend's books yesterday and read something about poor liver function being responsible for an excess of estrogen because the liver isn't processing environmental estrogen mimickers and extra natural hormones well enough. This idea is really intriguing to me. How would one determine the effectiveness of her liver? I've been reading about ways to cleanse the liver as a means to balance hormones. Has anyone else heard of this?
#256 of 626 Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 AM

this is basically what my ND has done. esp. with my diet.

she is trying to support my liver and adrenal glands.

many years ago the first ND i saw told me my liver was my weak spot. i guess he was right.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#257 of 626 Old 07-06-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
as for me....It is day 8 I believe...I have felt *awful* I am pretty depressed...going to talk to my DR and maybe do hair analysis...

it seems my times of feeling good and happy are shrinking and shrinking...
How have you been feeling?

Oh... DD's waking from her nap...
#258 of 626 Old 07-06-2009, 05:48 PM

my ND gave me a handout called "foods that love the liver" and i'm happy to pass it along if you PM me.

#259 of 626 Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mamas I was just thinking about this thread. Going through a hard time right now. UGH.

Sending healthy vibes to all.... ~*~*~*~*

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#260 of 626 Old 07-07-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

hi mamas, thx for checking in eco teat...

PMS officially arrived yesterday, I just went and got a b shot from my natureopath.

umami, pm'ing you for that liver info...

hope you are doing okay surfacing

dust.gif
#261 of 626 Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 PM

Got AF today and feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better! : It's amazing how I feel like an entirely different person. The black veil lifts. My pdoc is considering switching me from my Wellbutrin/Prozac stack to Wellbutrin/Paxil... I think... because she says Paxil has a shorter half-life and close to my period we can take it up a bit to counteract the . Anyone have experience with this? Just wondering.

Mystic-Mama - thanks Hang in there.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#262 of 626 Old 07-08-2009, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Surfacing, I'm glad to read about your treatment and how that's going..glad for the diversity on this thread...

how long did it take you to feel relief on those things? Sounds like its not complete relief though, right?

Had a very good day at work as always....back at home now, hope to have a nice night with DP

dust.gif
#263 of 626 Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
I was flipping through my herbalist friend's books yesterday and read something about poor liver function being responsible for an excess of estrogen because the liver isn't processing environmental estrogen mimickers and extra natural hormones well enough. This idea is really intriguing to me. How would one determine the effectiveness of her liver? I've been reading about ways to cleanse the liver as a means to balance hormones. Has anyone else heard of this?
We were talking about this at work today. A coworker of mine had huge fibroids, so big that felt like she was pregnant. Her naturopath put her on a specific diet and she has already felt improvement. Vitex or chasteberry is a supplement that is supposed to help with balancing hormone levels.

She mentioned the estrogen dominance/toxins connection. We talked about liver cleanses such as milk thistle and dandelion. In the past, before kids, I used to drink these liver cleanses in tea form. Also when I had really bad swelling before dd2 was born, I drank water infused with dandelion leaves (could buy it at the supermarket without pesticides on it). Flush flush flush! And drink lots of water, of course.

How are we doing with basic self-care, Mamas? I take my vitamins every couple of days. I am doing my "Thinking Exercises" (as I call them to dd1 when she asks ) which is basically reprogramming angry thoughts, assumptions, beliefs, magnifying how bad things are, labelling annoyances -- building more resilience and calm. The book is called When Anger Hurts Your Kids by McKay and others (4 authors). I am drinking way too much coffee and having too much sugar. Gotta stop that. It seems to be my emotional crutch right now.

I NEED TO EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been taking the stairs a lot which is good. But I need more, like aerobics! Dance class! Yoga! In order to accomplish that I feel like I need more hours in the day! More energy! A clone! I know I loooooooove to exercise but I just can't get motivated on this one. I used to be able to just make myself do it anyway, and then I'd get into it.

Mystic-Mama - I started on the meds when I was PG with dd2 because I had some WICKED BAD mood problems. In the past I'd done all things natural to deal with anxiety and depression, but once I had my first child, those things were NOT enough anymore. The meds are supposed to help with PMS or PMDD too. I've been charting my cycle, my mood (ratings: 1 - minimal symptoms, 2 - moderate symptoms, 3 - severe & disabling) to see the flare up in irritability and lability. My pdoc says she sees the classic tell-tale flare up just before my period. Yes, meds have helped me a lot. But yes, they're not "perfect". I felt gains almost right away when I started meds but usually it takes 2-4 or 6 weeks to feel the full effect.

#264 of 626 Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 AM

i read the book "The PMDD Phenomenon" that some of the research done on PMDD shows that women feel relief from symptoms in 1-2 days with SSRI (certain kind of antidepressant), rather than the 6-8 weeks it takes to get relief from depressive symptoms. also that they usually need to only take it during the luteal phase of their cycle.

so i tried 25 mg starting last week. and guess what? i haven't screamed at my kids or my DH since then.

i strongly dislike taking meds. i am not happy doing it. but i am willing to do it to not be angry with my kids and DH so much. i am willing to do it so i can have some peace and not always feel so horrible.

i don't know if i will be able to stop it after i get my period. i will have to see how i feel. i don't know if i will have to take a bigger dose. i am willing to continue the experiment though.

#265 of 626 Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks for sharing this umami_mommy. This is what my pdoc has been talking about. Which SSRI are you trying?

I'm glad you're getting some relief from it. Keep us posted.

#266 of 626 Old 07-15-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Mamas,

Umami_mommy, Glad you have some relief, that is a good thing.

I also read "The PMDD Phenomenon"....it was very informative, I really liked the in depth understanding of exactly what may be happening and how PMDD is real and different from PMS and also the last page for the people who love someone w/PMDD and how to cope and talk to that person. The book made a great case for pharmacuticals in my opinion because that is the area of expertise of the author. I was very tempted to try them but something in me (I am very stubborn) just would'nt do it.

As for me and my progress, it is day 2....I went in for a B Shot at about day 18 when I really started feeling irritable and it has really seem to help take the edge off.

I have kept up with my herbs and 5HTP as well and I am doing pretty good. Yesterday, Day 1 and the day before I felt a pretty high amount of tension but not unbearable and my DP left for work and normal stressful things came up and I handled pretty gracefully.

I am ALSO on day 5 of a 21 day cleanse....it feels like that has helped also, I feel pretty calm and touch with nature and not cloudy by emotions taking over me.

I was able to talk to DP yesterday about some things that trigger me and stay very calm...that was pretty huge for me.

Last month when I got my period is when I felt bad, I got extremely depressed so my ND started me on Black Cohosh and the flower essence of mustard and both seem to be helping.

Oh and another big one is excercise, I have been getting out and doing 40 min of cardio 3 times per week at least.

And all of the work on myself in counseling and on my own is starting to pay off more at this time also.

So as you can see above it has been a lot of work to get to this point...it has taken a lot of commitment to stick to all my supplements ect...
and I feel like it is very worth it to get so much relief. Ovulation time was bad this month so hoping for a better time with that next month.

With this cleanse and everthing else I am hoping next month will be a lot mellower...I have family coming to visit during the luteal phase and I am thankful I am taking such good care of myself so that can go well.

blessings mamas

dust.gif
#267 of 626 Old 07-15-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I also read "The PMDD Phenomenon"....it was very informative, I really liked the in depth understanding of exactly what may be happening and how PMDD is real and different from PMS and also the last page for the people who love someone w/PMDD and how to cope and talk to that person. The book made a great case for pharmacuticals in my opinion because that is the area of expertise of the author. I was very tempted to try them but something in me (I am very stubborn) just would'nt do it.

honestly, i thought it was piece of propaganda for the pharmaceutical industry. but i did think the part about needing the SSRI only during the luteal phase was really interesting. and the fact that it helps right away. i had never heard any of that.

i am amazingly stubborn too. BUT i just couldn't go on anymore screaming at my kids, ripping my H a new one. freaking out in front of the homeschool group, getting angry at the staff at the Y, yadda, yadda, yadda.... i was just done and would have done anything to not freak out on my kids anymore. i just couldn't stand it and i have been getting treatment for almost 2 years now for this. and it hasn't gotten better, it's gotten worse.

so, i gave in. but it's okay. my relationship with my family is more important to me than whether or not i use meds or natural treatments.

#268 of 626 Old 07-20-2009, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

umami_mommy ~ we all need to do what is right for us, I am very glad you found relief for you and your family I know how truly gut wrenching it can be....blessings mama

I am actually looking forward to this cycle....I'm on day 9 of my healing cleanse and feeling better and better each day...I feel like all this work is finally starting to pay off...I am going to get the B shot again and keep doing what I am doing because I am finally seeing some substantial results and it has sure been a long hard road with so much effort but well worth it....finding and keeping the balance is the trick....such is life....

dust.gif
#269 of 626 Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 AM

Mind if I join you ladies? I'm almost 100% sure I have pmdd. Since November 2008 I have been having problems two weeks before my period starts. I have headaches, depressed, crying spells, very anxious. I feel overwhelmed by something a little as making lunches for the kids or doing laundry. I have been up for 2 hours this morning crying I feel better when I'm close to starting my period. I am ready to go get help, I can't live like this. I have postpartum depression pretty bad with my last one and I feel like when I ovulate I'm right back there.
#270 of 626 Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 AM

i have lots of anxiety too. i also have issues starting around CD 7, not just at the beginning of my luteal phase.

i was depressed and anxious while i was pregnant with DD. it was hell and i am so sorry neither i nor the mw realized what was happening. i didn't really realize what was happening until about 8 months PP. i slid into really bad depression and suddenly it was like a light coming on that i had been like that for almost 3 years!! i believe i have had PMDD since 6 months PP with DS. that's almost 7 years ago!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page