Mothering Forum banner

Life w/PMDD/Severe PMS Support...

101K views 633 replies 97 participants last post by  sillysapling 
#1 ·
Do you have intense PMS (PMDD)? If so, I would love for a tribe of mamas to form here who can support, share, vent about life w/PMDD.

#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post
i've got to do something....diet and herbs so far just havent done the trick...does anyone know which birth control pill is the safest...i think i have pmdd...its a real bummer.

thx mamas
I have PMDD, it was so bad it was seriously affecting my life and relationships with LO's. I did not want to take BCP so my doc put me on Zoloft. The zoloft helped immensely however it did nothing for the physical symptoms my period brought on like the cravings, cramps, fatigue, etc...

I recently broke down and went back to my doc and afterdiscussing various BCP's I started Seasonale so I only get my period 4 times a year. I have not been on it long but so far so good... I am not sure which BCP is "safest" I have been on various kinds over the years and some have had horrible side effects and others have had no side effects. I think it really depends on the individual.

#3 ·
I recently started taking Pristiq (a SNRI) for depression/PMDD and it helped a lot. Like, I didn't even realize it was time for my period. I switched to Cymbalta last week though because the Pristiq made me really sleepy. So far I like it, I'm premenstrual right now and can't even tell.

If you want something with birth control though, or don't want to take an antidepressant then the Yaz pill is supposed to be the best for PMDD.

#7 ·
hi mamas, I started a thread for PMDD support here

i took a hormone test online last night I had multiple areas where I could be imbalanced, adrenals had A Lot of yes's,,I ordered some New Chapter St Johns and Estrotone last night (with the holidays coming I want extra support to get "better" asap) I am hoping that the adrenal burnout is due to the stress of the PMDD and it will balance itself out once I get my hormones in better shape.

I need to go to bed earlier, I've been staying up late lately. I also am going to try eating more probiotic foods like Kefir (trying to find some grains now)

Are you interested in a support thread?

I've come on MDC several times looking for support for this and there doesnt seem to me to be too much of it...I'm not very confident the thread will go anywhere but I hope so I know there are lots of mamas/womyn who deal w/this.

blessings~

#8 ·
I'm very interested in starting a support thread for severe PMS/PMDD.

I started taking vit. B6 - 250 mg. a day (50mg. five times a day) and I feel much better mentally. I have been taking St.John's Wort, calcium, magnesium, omega 3, vit. D. for ages. I think it so difficult to determine what works for the individual woman. Vit. B6 is very well research and it is very cheap to buy so try it you haven't already. I thought that I got the right amount in my vit.B-complex but I didn't.

The link to the new support thread didn't work?

I hope we can help each other figure out what works - meds, supplements or whatever.

Anne

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanishMom View Post
I'm very interested in starting a support thread for severe PMS/PMDD.

I started taking vit. B6 - 250 mg. a day (50mg. five times a day) and I feel much better mentally. I have been taking St.John's Wort, calcium, magnesium, omega 3, vit. D. for ages. I think it so difficult to determine what works for the individual woman. Vit. B6 is very well research and it is very cheap to buy so try it you haven't already. I thought that I got the right amount in my vit.B-complex but I didn't.

The link to the new support thread didn't work?

I hope we can help each other figure out what works - meds, supplements or whatever.

Anne
Hi Anne~

try this link

glad to know u r interested in the thread. I will def try B6, my 5-HTP has 20mg and my B-Complete has 50mg. I'm trying to take Food Based / High Quality supplements...I'm looking forward to getting my New Chapter ones I just ordered, I made tea w/St Johns wort (or St Joans as Susun Weed says
) years ago and I found it helpful...intuitively I feel like the things I ordered will help. I'm feeling better about it although the real test comes when its pms time so we shall see....

#10 ·
Why was it moved to health and healing? I really think it should be in mental health. The biggest part of it is the mental symptoms - that is what causes the real suffering- and people with depression or anxiety are often very affected by PMDD too.

I'll introduce myself and my thoughts on the subject in morning.

I'm doing a lot of research these days as I'm preparing to place an order for supplements of all sorts in the US.

Anne

#11 ·
read about maca root. it balances hormones among other benefits. You can get it online at macaweb.com, get the raw organic powder & you take 1tsp per day. for me, it helped almost immediately with pms and depression/hormonal mood swings. mood swings and heavy pms are horrible to try to deal with. i hope you find something that works for you soon.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by number572 View Post
read about maca root. it balances hormones among other benefits. You can get it online at macaweb.com, get the raw organic powder & you take 1tsp per day. for me, it helped almost immediately with pms and depression/hormonal mood swings. mood swings and heavy pms are horrible to try to deal with. i hope you find something that works for you soon.
i will read about it. its confusing as there are so many things to try...i just got off the phone with my girlfriend who recommended Shatavari and amalaki....

anne~
i agree and was thinking it should be in mental health as well.

#13 ·
mystic~mama: could we ask the moderator if it could be moved back. I didn't really understand why it was moved in the first place. I can see that some of it could belong to natural healing but I'm afraid it would exclude those woman who try medical approaches like BC or SSRI's. And I really think PMDD as opposed to normal PMS is a psychiatric disorder even though it "only" lasts half of the cycle.

If it can't be moved we'll continue in natural healing. I'm glad it is there :)

#14 ·
Quote:

mystic~mama: could we ask the moderator if it could be moved back. I didn't really understand why it was moved in the first place. I can see that some of it could belong to natural healing but I'm afraid it would exclude those woman who try medical approaches like BC or SSRI's. And I really think PMDD as opposed to normal PMS is a psychiatric disorder even though it "only" lasts half of the cycle.

If it can't be moved we'll continue in natural healing. I'm glad it is there :)
I originally put it in Finding Your Tribe....writing the mod now.

#15 ·
Hi folks!

I take Fluoxitene (generic Prozac) for PMDD in the 2 weeks, and spironalactone (a diuretic) as needed leading up to my period. I also have Ambien on hand for insomnia (a little tiny bit of that goes a long way).

I find that my PMDD is also vastly improved by exercise, followed closely with stress management and healthy eating.

Interestingly, a male therapist was the first person to tell me about PMDD. He had stumbled across an article about PMDD being added into the DSM-IV and saved the article for me. It was about another 2 years until I was actually diagnosed, after tracking my symptoms in writing for 4 months and then seeking medical help.

I've been recommended SAM-E for mood and melatonin for sleep as natural remedies. I have not tried the SAM-E. I did try the melatonin but didn't groove on it. Medical marijuana is also approved for PMDD.

Here's a link from the DSM IV, for clinicians and patients: http://pmdd.factsforhealth.org/drsp/...se_scoring.pdf

Here's another link with another symptom chart:
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...ental/752.html

Good luck everyone. I'd be more than happy to discuss. It's really worth it to get help, this I know.
Spring

#16 ·
Mystic~Mama: Wouldn't it be easier to change the name of this thread and make it the support thread since it already has a lot of posts? You could take the long post you wrote for the support thread and copy paste and move it here. I don't where to post? was the support thread moved back to this forum - I can't find it?

Anyway: I feel like the vitamin B6 I started taking is still effective. My mood swings are nothing compared to what they used to be.

#17 ·
Quote:

Mystic~Mama: Wouldn't it be easier to change the name of this thread and make it the support thread since it already has a lot of posts? You could take the long post you wrote for the support thread and copy paste and move it here. I don't where to post? was the support thread moved back to this forum - I can't find it?

Anyway: I feel like the vitamin B6 I started taking is still effective. My mood swings are nothing compared to what they used to be.
it sure would ~ i'll do that.

thx spring

b back later.....

#18 ·
I got the book, The PMDD Phenomenon yesterday, I read the first part explaining all about it and I am feeling so much more informed...the second part talks about treatments, I am going to start charting my symptoms on the chart from the book,,,I had my own calender going...charting the book explains is crucial to knowing wheather you have PME or PMDD and which type to help figure out what treatments will work best.

#19 ·
Mystic~mama: I'd love a little summary here and there :)

I would love more info on treating with amino acids. If someone has info I'd like to hear more about it. I thinking about getting 5-HTP, Theanine, Gaba, Taurine.

It is so difficult to decide which approach to test. I'd like to try with herbs too but I don't want to do all at once and then not be able to tell if it was amino acids or herps that actually worked.

Anne

#20 ·
: I am in the pits of this RIGHT NOW! I really need help, just decided to call the dr. today, it is very disruptive in my life.

#23 ·
hi Molly~
sorry to hear you are having a hard time.

Hi mystic mama, I am sorry you are going through the rough time right now, I hope you can find some peace and rest today. Thank you for taking the time to post and update us.

I am surprised to see how common PMDD is, in fact I didn't even know about it until I stumbled upon your thread and after doing some research, I am very certain I am struggling with this in my life. I made a dr. appt. but it is a week away. I am looking forward to getting some answers and moving toward a soulution. I know that if I am really good about taking my B vitamins, calcium and magnesium, I have a less horrific week.

Thanks again, I will keep active in this thread, it might be a good idea to have a little chart to follow my cycle. I'll look into that, maybe if I am expecting the bad week then maybe it won't be so bad.

peace...

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beautiful~Life View Post
How exactly are you diagnosed with PMDD? I have always had very bad PMS and it has gotten worse as I've gotten older. I have never talked to my Dr. about it though.
from what I know, it helps to document it and show the cycle of the symptoms as there are different patterns which can change the dosage of medication.

there are also different levels,,,

PMS
Severe PMS
PME and PMDD

I believe in order to get an actual diagnosis you need documentation or to be very sure that in fact you have these reoccuring symptoms at the same time each month.

#28 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post
well, last night very soon after writing i lost it...not for too long but it felt horrible.

I went to check email for a bit and left DP and our female friend hanging out and then I ended up feeling left out and feeling like I didnt know how to rejoin and be social, I started crying and feeling sad and a part of me told myself to just go hang out but the childhood issues took over I think and I felt abandonment and maybe some Post Traumatic Stress and I got really angry at him and was flipping him off and being pissed very passive agressively. I felt really really shaky and upset...cried then came out of it but I was very dissapointed that happened. Feelings of shame, defeat and weakness came over me.

i really really want to keep it together! doing okay so far. although, I've had some not kind thoughts creeep in. DP told me how sorry he was that he left me out especially because he should be extra sensitive to me at this time...he was very sweet about it, not mad at all just completely loving and sweet...i am soo lucky to have him. christmas is going to be very similar to this. i feel like crying, i'm a very emo womyn right now. sigh.
Just wanted to give you a hug. I know just how you feel!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.