Anxiety issues? 7 yr old girl - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-05-2008, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
X-posted in SN forum, also

Does anyone else deal w/ anxiety issues in their kid/s? We're working on an eval for dd, but we already know w/o question that she deals with anxiety. (Eval for Asperger's Syndrome, among other things.)

Until her official eval results and anxiety dx where we can look into meds for her, what can we do? The poor kid is suffering so much! I'd take her out of school if I felt I could do better, but she desperately needs the therapy that she gets in small group therapy with the school counselor.

I just don't know what to do for her, but I NEED to do something for her NOW.

Any ideas? (I'll try vitamins, herbs whatever -- we're open!)

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#2 of 6 Old 11-07-2008, 08:49 PM

Subbing because I am having similar issues with my 8 y.o. ds. We are just starting to get him into therapy, so I have no idea what they will suggest. I am going to really look into things I can do for him, such as relaxation, nutrition, vitamins, whatever.

Hope you can help your dc. Hang in there!

Jade : -Writing, vegan mom of Garrett, Drew, and Grace. Into feeling:
#3 of 6 Old 11-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Basically, anxiety=fear. So to help, it's important to know what they're anxious about. (Afraid of?)

Momma to one small person I call Smoodgie :joy.gif
#4 of 6 Old 11-08-2008, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Her fears are... weird. Unusual.

Trees are a big one. Just because. I cna't figure out the rest.

Some of the moms in the SN forum have been REALLY helpful.

Link is here.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#5 of 6 Old 11-08-2008, 01:46 PM

I've had anxiety since I was a kid and my daughter seems to have similar anxiety, my oldest son has serious social anxiety.
My daughter does have what to adults would seem odd fears, but it is easy just to see that there is a brain malfunction, or rather a serotonin deficiency that makes her afraid and then she assigns that fear to something like trees.
With my daughter we talk all the time about what it is that is bothering her and make sure she understands t isn't her- it is her brain ( I say this to her rather than saying it is her thoughts) that are making her afraid. I then ask her what she thinks she can do about it, if being afraid of the tree is a real thing i.e., Do you really think the tree could hurt you ? and talk her through all of her fears. It is a lot of work but as a kid left alone or mocked for my irrational fears I am trying to do what would have very much helped me.
Omega 3, 6 and 9 will help also amino acids and Http-5 but I would not know if the later two are okay for kids, we do multi vitamins and omegas.
#6 of 6 Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

We've opted to take her out of public school for now and unschool her. She was visibly relieved and I'm so glad we made this decision. We're going to stick it out till Winter Break and see how she does between now and then. I'll also give her the option of staying till the end of 1st grade or starting hs in January.

School has been such a big factor in her anxiety, so I'm pleased to be able to help her a little bit. We're also seeking a diagnosis, but it's in May! (Until we get on the cancellation list.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page