Mood swings since weaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure if this is the correct spot to post, but here goes. I weaned my DD (3yrs old) 4 months ago. Since then, I have been having MAJOR mood swings, anxiety & have also been weepy. I don't think I'm depressed (no thoughts of suicide or anything like that). One minute I am normal, and the next I could be mad at DH for nothing or crying over something silly. Could this be related to weaning? Do I need to give it time, or see the doc? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 12:15 AM

I remember this happening to me, too (about two years ago, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details). It was very disconcerting, esp with having a history of depression.

I did some reading on it and figured out that it was probably the lack of the "feel good" hormone oxytocin being released. I wonder if there is any data out there on this?

Just did a quick search - looks like most clinical info is on rats, but lots of anecdotal stuff from moms!

Can't hurt to let the doc know, though, esp since it's been 4 months. Just in case something else is going on, it would be nice if it had a relatively easy fix.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

It helps a little to know it's not just me. Everything I read, says the symptoms usually go away within a couple of weeks of weaning though. I wonder if the way I have been feeling isn't even related?

User Tag List