Is there a Bi-polar support thread? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#301 of 572 Old 06-29-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paradise
Posts: 8,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can you take valerian root?
transformed is offline  
#302 of 572 Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 AM
 
VisionaryMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know. I haven't taken it before. I'm about to call my doctor to see what she suggests.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
VisionaryMom is offline  
#303 of 572 Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 AM
 
KatWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Affton, MO
Posts: 11,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does Celexa or Invega cause acne? My husband is all broke out. Which is weird on an almost 45 year old guy.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

KatWrangler is offline  
#304 of 572 Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 AM
 
KatWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Affton, MO
Posts: 11,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
I'd say it's probably some of both. I took Invega and liked it initially. The side effects were brutal, though. When I started it or upped the dose, I always had this sort of hypo-manic spurt, which I think is what you're describing. Some people call it "productive mania," which is pretty accurate. It usually lasted 3-4 days before I started to stabilize.
He has been awake since 4:15 wanting to get stuff done. He keeps thinking about these CD's we want to try and sell today. He was worried we would forget them.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

KatWrangler is offline  
#305 of 572 Old 06-29-2009, 11:53 AM
 
MoonWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pemberly
Posts: 3,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
kind of freaking out here

I feel like a serial poster this weekend. I slept about 4 hours Saturday night. Before that I slept about 5 hours Wednesday night. Other than that I'm sleeping in 2-3 1-hour naps per day. I can't get to sleep. Can't be still. I'm so manic that I'm actually shaking right now. Can't stop moving.

I think I'm heading to a mixed state. Can feel my thoughts about myself headed down.

Should I call my pdoc? Is there something I can take during the day? I'm with my kiddos all day. I may need to call our sitter to see if she can come over. I have Trazadone, but that only bought me the 4 hours Saturday.
Yea I think you should call!
MoonWillow is offline  
#306 of 572 Old 06-29-2009, 11:55 AM
 
MoonWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pemberly
Posts: 3,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
He has been awake since 4:15 wanting to get stuff done. He keeps thinking about these CD's we want to try and sell today. He was worried we would forget them.
He really does sound manic. Hopefully when he gets acclimated to his meds things will settle...
MoonWillow is offline  
#307 of 572 Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 PM
 
Carley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWillow View Post
Yea I think you should call!
Yes! Definitely call! I'd shy away from herbs in the case your doc gives you a px for something that's contradictory.

This sounds weird, but do you have any benadryl or tylanol PM? Anything that will incapacitate you for a while?

REGARDLESS, can you have your babysitter come over while you are still there? She can play with the kids while you try to get some rest (but are not alone?)? Being alone right now sounds like a bad idea... remember you WILL feel better soon. I know what it feels like, it's the worst feeling in the world, just keep holding on. Drug yourself silly to get you through & don't do ANYTHING that will physically or phsychologically harm you.


Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Carley is offline  
#308 of 572 Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 PM
 
KatWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Affton, MO
Posts: 11,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWillow View Post
He really does sound manic. Hopefully when he gets acclimated to his meds things will settle...
The mental health place called. He is scheduled for his first therapy appointment with them this afternoon at 3:30. :

We thought his first "real" appointment was for meds, but they said this is therapy. Woot!:

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

KatWrangler is offline  
#309 of 572 Old 06-29-2009, 12:41 PM
 
MoonWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pemberly
Posts: 3,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
The mental health place called. He is scheduled for his first therapy appointment with them this afternoon at 3:30. :

We thought his first "real" appointment was for meds, but they said this is therapy. Woot!:
Excellent!!!!
MoonWillow is offline  
#310 of 572 Old 06-29-2009, 05:59 PM
 
VisionaryMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Does Celexa or Invega cause acne? My husband is all broke out. Which is weird on an almost 45 year old guy.
Invega can. I don't know about Celexa.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
VisionaryMom is offline  
#311 of 572 Old 06-29-2009, 06:02 PM
 
VisionaryMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
Yes! Definitely call! I'd shy away from herbs in the case your doc gives you a px for something that's contradictory.

This sounds weird, but do you have any benadryl or tylanol PM? Anything that will incapacitate you for a while?

REGARDLESS, can you have your babysitter come over while you are still there? She can play with the kids while you try to get some rest (but are not alone?)? Being alone right now sounds like a bad idea... remember you WILL feel better soon. I know what it feels like, it's the worst feeling in the world, just keep holding on. Drug yourself silly to get you through & don't do ANYTHING that will physically or phsychologically harm you.

I had our sitter come over. I took 2 Trazadone and turned the fan on high in my room, which helped today. I actually slept for 6 hours! I feel much, much better - still manic but more borderline. This morning it felt my heart was about to beat out of my chest. At least now I can talk slowly enough that the kids can understand me. This morning DS kept saying "what?" repeatedly.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
VisionaryMom is offline  
#312 of 572 Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 AM
 
Carley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh I am sooo glad. I can't sleep without a fan, even with upwards of 300mg Seroquel in me!

Do you have an apt. yet? I feel like a pusher here, but Zyprexa Zydis is awesome. It's accute - works within 5 minutes - for depression or mania. Magic!

Keep us updated!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Carley is offline  
#313 of 572 Old 07-04-2009, 01:13 PM
 
redebeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Slough
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone - I haven't posted at MDC in a while.

i am here today because i need some help. My brother who has been labeled Bipolar moved from TX where he has lived for the last 10 -15 years or so to live with me and my family. He has lost his job, family daughter. (She was kidnapped by babymama) He has nothing.

we now have 3 adults and 4 kids in a (small) three bedroom house with one bathroom. My sweet, poor, 30 year old husband is now supporting all of us.

My brother hasn't found a job in more than a month (we are in Cali, & there really are few jobs here) he has 4 misdemeanors that are probably keeping him from getting hired. he basically hangs around the house all day making me CRANKY because he doesn't really help with anything.

He was on Lamictal, but he stopped it 3 days ago with my support due to side effects like insomnia and anxiety.

He just found some old friends (we grew up near here, so it's like he's coming home) and immediately started getting really excited and talking really fast. My dad and I both noticed it. He stayed out last night (he was planning to) so I have had a little space to think.

I guess I was trying to deny his M/D, as he has only been depressed since he lost his job 1 year and 1/2 ago. But I have only spoken to him on the phone, so I couldn't really tell what was going on with him.

Our dad has been willing to pay for meds, but not treatment. Can a grown man who just moved to CA get medi-cal?

Anyway, I am getting really frustrated about what to do with him. His psych didn't even follow up on the phone with him to see how the lamictal worked (it didn't) so he needs real treatment.

I believe his M/D was triggered by an awful childhood were our mom died very young and our alcoholic dad remarried 3 months later. Then dad and our b@#* stepmother then moved (to TX) with me and left my brother with a friend and his bachelor father when my brother was 15 until he was 17. I don't think my brother got hugged at all in those 2 years.

I think my dad feels really guilty about all of this so even though my brother is 40, my dad has basicly been supporting him for the last year +.
so, I guess I am reaching out for advice.

Are there alternative treatments?

Does M/D ever "go away"?

Info on Medi Cal would be appreciated.

I don't know how much longer i can deal with him being here. I need a game plan, and I don't know what to do. please help..

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
redebeth is offline  
#314 of 572 Old 07-04-2009, 10:43 PM
 
KathinJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Morioka, Japan
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi my sister is bi-polar. I don't know a lot about the day to day stuff as I live overseas. The month I spend in the states with her is hard, tho'.

My folks got a lot of good information and support from NAMI
http://www.namicalifornia.org/affiliates-local.aspx

Good luck!
Kathryn
KathinJapan is offline  
#315 of 572 Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 AM
 
redebeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Slough
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Kathryn. That is very helpful.

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
redebeth is offline  
#316 of 572 Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM
 
KatWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Affton, MO
Posts: 11,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are having a rough time here. Hubby and I got into on Wednesday night and I told him he needed to call his Med Doc a the Mental Health Clinic. He called them yesterday and they said to up his dosage of Celexa through the weekend. Then they will see him on Tuesday and change him over to something else.

He is having bad thoughts again. They mentioned he may need to go back into the hospital.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

KatWrangler is offline  
#317 of 572 Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 PM
 
Carley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Careful with that Celexa... it can spin some people out of control.

I'm worried his care providers aren't empowering him very much... being in the middle of an episode is scary, but there are things he can do himself to feel better.

Have you tried the Zyprexa Zydis? Or Zyprexa in general? It's the go-to remedy for "Bat Shit Crazy."

Request some. I hope he feels better soon!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Carley is offline  
#318 of 572 Old 07-24-2009, 06:27 PM
 
MoonWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pemberly
Posts: 3,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
We are having a rough time here. Hubby and I got into on Wednesday night and I told him he needed to call his Med Doc a the Mental Health Clinic. He called them yesterday and they said to up his dosage of Celexa through the weekend. Then they will see him on Tuesday and change him over to something else.

He is having bad thoughts again. They mentioned he may need to go back into the hospital.
Forgive me if you posted this before but what else is he taking besides for the Celexa?
MoonWillow is offline  
#319 of 572 Old 07-24-2009, 06:30 PM
 
crazydiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope you guys don't mind me popping in here. I've been having problems for a long time but finally got diagnosed with bipolar this morning. Although I think that the diagnosis is correct, I'm having some trouble accepting it. Depression I can handle, but bi-polar just sounds so scary. But I knew deep down that something is wrong with me and I'm grateful to be able to put a name to it.

Right now I'm manic or hypomanic or something. I have an appointment on Monday to get meds. I'm still nursing DS (he's 16 mos). . .will I have to wean him?

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
crazydiamond is offline  
#320 of 572 Old 07-26-2009, 04:33 PM
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
I hope you guys don't mind me popping in here. I've been having problems for a long time but finally got diagnosed with bipolar this morning. Although I think that the diagnosis is correct, I'm having some trouble accepting it. Depression I can handle, but bi-polar just sounds so scary. But I knew deep down that something is wrong with me and I'm grateful to be able to put a name to it.

Right now I'm manic or hypomanic or something. I have an appointment on Monday to get meds. I'm still nursing DS (he's 16 mos). . .will I have to wean him?
I know how you feel, My 8 yr old was dx'd as bipolar a few months ago and while learning about it I recognized a lot of it in myself and went in for help because I don't like who I have become, the older I get the worse it gets. I was to chicken to ask if I have Bipolar too but they put me on the same meds as dd which is Lamictal which is also fine for BF'ing So I'm guessing the answer is yes I have it. I started on meds 2 weeks ago and already I notice the difference although this morning I am seriously cranky, we all are. Were all sick, can't afford cold meds to feel better and dd constantly coughing due to post nasal drip and I was up until 4am unable to sleep (between the coughing, general misery from raging sinus infection and cold and just plan to hot I couldn't sleep and dd woke up at 3:45am and was up for the day so I've only gotten a few minutes of sleep here and there and I only got 3-4 hours of sleep a night the past several nights due to dd so I am just getting REALLY cranky

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
#321 of 572 Old 07-29-2009, 11:22 AM
 
mommy2two babes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just found this thread and thought I would introduce myself.

My DH was diagnosed as bipolar 9 years ago.
He was put on 1000mg of divalproex and was on that dose for 6 years.
It made him very tired and doped up all the time. He never once tried or wanted to go off his meds. At my suggestion and without the support of his doctor a few years ago we halfed the dose to 500 mg.

It improved the side effects that he was experiencing and he has been on that dose for the last 3 years.

I have started to question the diagnosis that he was given at that time.
There was alot of things going on at that time. His Mom had a heart attack, he had just split with his GF of 2 years, a good friend was killed in a drunk driving accident that he felt he maybe could have prevented ( he didn't stop her from getting in the car with a drunk driver from a party they were both at.) He was partying alot as well.

I don't know if I am just forgetting/taking for granted what it is like or if he really could have been misdiagnosed.

I am frustrated because we can't get life insurance for him even though he has not relapsed in 9 years: ( is that normal to not relapse in 9 years ???)

I hate the stigma attached to any kind of mental illness.

Sorry about the long post

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

mommy2two babes is offline  
#322 of 572 Old 07-29-2009, 06:35 PM
 
crazydiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2two babes View Post
Just found this thread and thought I would introduce myself.

My DH was diagnosed as bipolar 9 years ago.
He was put on 1000mg of divalproex and was on that dose for 6 years.
It made him very tired and doped up all the time. He never once tried or wanted to go off his meds. At my suggestion and without the support of his doctor a few years ago we halfed the dose to 500 mg.

It improved the side effects that he was experiencing and he has been on that dose for the last 3 years.

I have started to question the diagnosis that he was given at that time.
There was alot of things going on at that time. His Mom had a heart attack, he had just split with his GF of 2 years, a good friend was killed in a drunk driving accident that he felt he maybe could have prevented ( he didn't stop her from getting in the car with a drunk driver from a party they were both at.) He was partying alot as well.

I don't know if I am just forgetting/taking for granted what it is like or if he really could have been misdiagnosed.

I am frustrated because we can't get life insurance for him even though he has not relapsed in 9 years: ( is that normal to not relapse in 9 years ???)

I hate the stigma attached to any kind of mental illness.

Sorry about the long post
I'm newly diagnosed so take what I say with a grain of salt. . .

But from what I've been reading, it's totally possible to go 9 years without a relapse if the meds are doing their job.

It's also very easy to attribute the depression (at least in my case) to external events. I'm 29 and have had 4 hugely major depressive episodes. Until recently, I always attributed those episodes to bad stuff going on in my life: raped at 13, school/friend trouble at 16, breaking up with boyfriend at 19, and PPD at 25. And now at 29 it's back . .. except for the first time in my life nothing bad is happening at all. This is what finally clued me in that it's a chemical imbalance in my brain, not me merely reacting to bad stuff going on around me. And as you see the trend, I only get depressed every 3-5 years. The time in between that is great (some moments of hypomania, most of it normal though)! So I can see myself easily making it to 9 years without an episode if my meds are working. And because it's so long in between episodes, it's very easy for me to think it won't happen again. I was tentatively diagnosed as bipolar 4 years ago but I blew it off, thinking it was just PPD (I've since learned that severe PPD is a strong indicator that the woman is bipolar). I got help and got better and have been great all this time. Well, until now when everything came back. I finally realized that I'm not "all better" when I feel better because at some point, it WILL come back. It's a tough realization.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
crazydiamond is offline  
#323 of 572 Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 AM
 
KatWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Affton, MO
Posts: 11,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWillow View Post
Forgive me if you posted this before but what else is he taking besides for the Celexa?
He is on Celexa and Invega. He met with the Med Doc earlier this week. He put him on Lamcital. He is too take all three and then will be weaned off of Celexa and Invega.

Things are going to get more complicated. We have decided to move back to St. Louis. I do know BJC has mental health services.

We are leaving later this morning for STL to look for housing. Once we get that set up, we will call BJC and get him set up with a mental health appointment.

This move is going to be fast. We are looking at moving late next week.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

KatWrangler is offline  
#324 of 572 Old 08-04-2009, 05:27 AM
 
NinaBruja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: lawrence kansas represent!
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
getting back into therapy and back on meds.
they tried geodon and i swear i thought i was going to die after two days.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

NinaBruja is offline  
#325 of 572 Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paradise
Posts: 8,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
getting back into therapy and back on meds.
they tried geodon and i swear i thought i was going to die after two days.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhh
whats with that drug? Anyone else have experience with it?

Is it newish?
transformed is offline  
#326 of 572 Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
 
crazydiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got a script for lamictal and will start it tonight. I'm starting it very slow, so hopefully no rash for me and hopefully it works. I need off this roller coaster!

ETA: is it OK to nurse on this drug? DS is 16 mos and nurses 3-4 times a day, a most.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
crazydiamond is offline  
#327 of 572 Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
I just got a script for lamictal and will start it tonight. I'm starting it very slow, so hopefully no rash for me and hopefully it works. I need off this roller coaster!

ETA: is it OK to nurse on this drug? DS is 16 mos and nurses 3-4 times a day, a most.
Its fine to nurse on it, just make sure you go at least 2 weeks before moving up to the next dose. I've been on it 5 weeks and its really made a difference for me. My dd started it the day before I did and I'm not so sure were seeing any benefit for her yet. Anyway, outside of having really really vivid dreams (to the point it takes a few minutes after waking up to realize it was a dream) I haven't noticed any side effects in either of us.

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
#328 of 572 Old 08-04-2009, 02:54 PM
 
crazydiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Its fine to nurse on it, just make sure you go at least 2 weeks before moving up to the next dose. I've been on it 5 weeks and its really made a difference for me. My dd started it the day before I did and I'm not so sure were seeing any benefit for her yet. Anyway, outside of having really really vivid dreams (to the point it takes a few minutes after waking up to realize it was a dream) I haven't noticed any side effects in either of us.
Thanks!

I'm starting with 25mg/day for 2 weeks, then 50mg/day for 2 weeks. I have to see the doctor again at that point so I'm not sure what my dose will be after that, but at least right now I'm definitely doing 2 weeks at each dose before increasing.

How much were you taking before you noticed a difference? How long did it take?

My life is a mess right now and I really need something to work fairly quickly, but at the same time I don't want to be overly optimistic. I just want to know what to expect.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
crazydiamond is offline  
#329 of 572 Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM
 
WuWei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the moment
Posts: 11,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To our knowledge, this is the first general overview of associations between MTHFR polymorphisms and psychiatric
disorders. This is a rapidly evolving area of interest, and our meta-analysis represents the most up-to-date quantitative
FIGURE 3. Funnel plot of effect size versus inverse standard error for homozygous (TT vs. CC) genotypes of the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism in depressed and control populations.
synthesis of available results from gene-psychiatric disorder association studies.

This meta-analysis demonstrates an association between the MTHFR C677T variant and depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder, raising the possibility of the use of folate in treatment and prevention.
http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/hugenet/...MTHFRPsych.pdf

We have all of these mental health issues in our family, including the MTHFR variant. We are examining the role of nutrients, detox, and allergies in the Allergies forum. Just wanted to share the possibility to consider folate deficiency (and B12 deficiency cobalamin) as factors.


Pat

I have a blog.
WuWei is offline  
#330 of 572 Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 PM
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
Thanks!

I'm starting with 25mg/day for 2 weeks, then 50mg/day for 2 weeks. I have to see the doctor again at that point so I'm not sure what my dose will be after that, but at least right now I'm definitely doing 2 weeks at each dose before increasing.

How much were you taking before you noticed a difference? How long did it take?

My life is a mess right now and I really need something to work fairly quickly, but at the same time I don't want to be overly optimistic. I just want to know what to expect.
Honestly? I started noticing a difference about the 2nd day but I'm a major light weight and respond quickly to meds. I followed the same dose increase your on, I go to 75mg after the 50mg.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
This meta-analysis demonstrates an association between the MTHFR C677T variant and depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder, raising the possibility of the use of folate in treatment and prevention.
http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/hugenet/...MTHFRPsych.pdf

We have all of these mental health issues in our family, including the MTHFR variant. We are examining the role of nutrients, detox, and allergies in the Allergies forum. Just wanted to share the possibility to consider folate deficiency (and B12 deficiency cobalamin) as factors.


Pat
I don't have the MTHFR mutation but I do have pernicious anemia but my folate was though the roof when it was found. Now its in the normal range.

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off