Is there a Bi-polar support thread? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 572 Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
If you haven't seen "The Soloist" you must.

It is insanely awesome and pertains to mental health...and also how our conditions can Be aggravated sometimes with life circumstances....and stigma...and on and on....

so freaking good.

see it.
I watched this with my hubby last week - so good. Might have made me feel a little more crazy b/c i understood alot of what he was saying but it was good.

I loved the part about him not needing another diagnosis - that the official label wasn't important.

SAHM to a crazy little boy (4.5) and a silly little girl (3) and my VBA2C babe
#362 of 572 Old 09-09-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachsara View Post
Might have made me feel a little more crazy b/c i understood alot of what he was saying but it was good.
chuckle.

We are all equal in "gods" eyes...or whatever.

I often wonder if we are like the next "evolutionary" step on the planet. We really have great gifts that other normal people just totally lack.
#363 of 572 Old 09-10-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:

I often wonder if we are like the next "evolutionary" step on the planet.

Heh - doubt it. Suicide is pretty self-defeating, KWIM

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#364 of 572 Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
Heh - doubt it. Suicide is pretty self-defeating, KWIM
LOL. I suppose it depends on your spiritual beliefs. :
#365 of 572 Old 09-10-2009, 11:18 AM

hey everyone,

So I am definitely in a down phase right now! I feel like I could sleep forever and my house looks like a disaster!! Of course I slept wrong and now I have a stiff neck. I really need to get a new pillow!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#366 of 572 Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

my neck is stiff too! Hello!
#367 of 572 Old 09-10-2009, 02:37 PM

what I would give for a neck massage! I tried convincing my kids that lasted all of 30 seconds!

Any mama's here start things and have trouble finishing them?

#368 of 572 Old 09-10-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Uh, YEAH! I Blame my kids though. : (Not out loud)

Try Massaging the reflexology point. Its the "neck" that connects the Big toe pad to the foot. Rub hard for a while. Feel for crystaline clicking sounds or feelings. Use lavendar if you have it. No need if you dont. Works awesome. Neck pain is usually stress. "The weight of the world" on your head kwim?
#369 of 572 Old 09-10-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
what I would give for a neck massage! I tried convincing my kids that lasted all of 30 seconds!

Any mama's here start things and have trouble finishing them?
Yes I do have lots of trouble, I start lots of things- never finishing, but when I feel good I do as much as I can, and when I don't I try for small victories and allow myself the space I need.

It helps to never totally give in to the bed or the couch. Do one thing that you don't want to do each day. Just one. That's what I do during the bad days. Then I don't have to feel like total crap I can say "Look at you, you really really didn't want to do that and you made yourself anyway." It always feel super good, and usually leads to me being able to do a few more things I didn't want to do, not always but sometimes.

Never ever beat yourself up about what you aren't doing, either do something (anything) or think about something happy. Negative self talk isn't going to make you want to clean or organize or pay the bills, it only sucks the life out of you and makes you hate yourself.

Be gentle when you don't feel well. Gently encourage yourself, do your best. Whatever is is ok, you are good enough right now. Right now!~
#370 of 572 Old 09-10-2009, 04:41 PM

Using the reflexology actually worked great. Thanks so much

#371 of 572 Old 09-10-2009, 04:43 PM

Porcelain Interior~ Thanks so much

#372 of 572 Old 09-12-2009, 03:29 PM

Blah. I feel like I'm back on the looney train. I'm definately in a down phase and I think my DH has had it with my craziness.

I thought that once I got my meds straightened out, I wouldn't have to feel like this anymore. Why won't you just go away?

#373 of 572 Old 09-12-2009, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

I am in a down phase too. unmotivated, very tired, cranky, mean....
#374 of 572 Old 09-13-2009, 02:00 AM

^ did you get your meds changed?

Peachsara, anything new with stress, sleep & diet? Are you sure it's the "Crazy" and not you? Hard to keep them seperate when they've been together so long, KWIM?

Porcelain Interior had great suggestions, but I wanted to add that if you find yourself starting & not finishing discretionary things, maybe don't start them in the first place.

I have to stay on top of my schedule to function well - it keeps me focused on exactly what things I need to do to do my job & feel good. I need to break things down for myself in micro form - if I don't write down exactly the things I need to do tomorrow then I'll most likely spend the day scrambling around feeling unproductive & lost. Every night I like to sit & go through the week so I know what's going on & make a micro list for the next day.

I have a calander that I keep to-do's on & a seperate "procrastination list" of things that "need to be done" just not today... or next month... it just makes me feel better to know they're written down, & since they're on a "procrastination list" I don't feel bad about procrastinating them It also helps me give myself permission to remove things that clearly have NO need of being on my radar.

I've become really aware over the year about what's practical and what's not. Sometimes I make a full schedule just for the hay of seeing if I can do it, but I'm not scheduling breadbaking, canning, learning Chinese & starting a quilt in the same day, or even the same week KWIM?

I know exactly what I'm capable & push that envelope only so far enough to challenge myself & keep myself from being lazy.

My faith brings me comfort when I'm down.

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#375 of 572 Old 09-13-2009, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

So I am gaining 5-10 lbs a mo on Depakote and looking to change....my pdoc ave me a list of meds to research before our next appointment and I'll probably start a thread but want to start here first...

Tell me what you know about these. I am still nursing but she is almost 2 and it is only a few times a day.

-Risperal
-Seroquel
-Lamactal (Nursin? I dont know if I want to risk Stephen Johnsons, do I?)
-Tegiretol (He seems to like this one.)
#376 of 572 Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 PM

I have experience gaining 100+lbs with Risperadol. I thought it was notorious for packing it on, but if your psych recommended it it's definitely wise for you to do independant research.

I take 100 mg Seroquel & 400mg Lamictal & am pregnant. I plan to continue while breastfeeding. Lamictal has a pregnancy registry you can look through. To me it doesn't look like much outside the non-Lamictal taking population. I take extra folic acid with it.

I do have weight gain issues with Seroquel, but they are less than Risperadol & Zyprexa (I could gain 3-5lbs/WEEK with that constant out-of-your-mind type hunger/urge to binge - Seroquel is more like an unsatiated appetite, which can be maddening but not as distracting as the former) I take 1000mg MetforminXR, which I thought helped, but I also usually eat a very low carb diet and vigorously exercise 3x/week. Since I've been preggers & not had that motivation, though - holy whoa! I've already gained 10+! Crazy!!! (no pun intended ) So who knows if Metformin alone really makes a huge difference. (oh I'm on a roll!!! )

So yeah - Seroquel was originally marketed as a no weight gain drug, but alas - it's been proven to cause weight gain as well. Astra Zeneca is in the middle of a class action about it.

Regardless of weight gain (& possible birth defects) the risk/benefit on these is unquestionable for me. I've been stable on these with no faulter. It sounds sick, but weight gain is a more painful concern for me than the possible teterogenic effects. The latter is so rare & I really feel no more probable than the average population. To me it's like chemo. Horrible side effects, but I feel it's the best possible avenue for my survival. What's more is that with these drugs I don't just "survive" I actually thrive. I function well and reliably.

Would you mind posting back after you poke around on these? I'd love to know what you find. I hadn't heard of Tegiretol.

#377 of 572 Old 09-13-2009, 01:19 PM

I had fantastic results with Lamictal, until I got the rash, but don't be afraid. If you dose up super slow like they say when you do get the rash it comes on pretty mild and then you just stop the meds.

I think Lamictal is 100% worth the risk. I had no side effects on it (well my skin went sensitive to sun), but it didn't make me tired/wired/weird or headachey, or sleepless or anything. I felt terrific mentally. I kept saying "wow is this how normal people feel?"

#378 of 572 Old 09-13-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

carley - what is a pregnancy registry?

PI- I live in Florida. : sun sensitivity might be an issue.
#379 of 572 Old 09-13-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

still poking around about these drugs though.
#380 of 572 Old 09-13-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Well I just got kind of itchy lol. Nothing huge. Sunscreen.....
#381 of 572 Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Here you go!

http://pregnancyregistry.gsk.com/lamotrigine.html

I didn't meet the cut off for this years- I would have participated otherwise!

I live in Seattle, so no experience on the sun sensitivity here I did spend a lot of time tanning last year (it was a very bleak year - NO sun - I tanned for UV exposure rather than aesthetics) & didn't have any problems. Everyone is different!

#382 of 572 Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 AM

I'm on Lamictal (100 mgs) and haven't had any side effects so far. I know that the S-J rash can be scary but it is pretty rare and it generally does develop slowly, so that you have time to seek medical treatment before it gets bad, yk?

I started the Lamictal after my DD had already weaned but my pdoc told me that she is comfortable with me taking it during pregnancy and nursing.

#383 of 572 Old 09-15-2009, 11:07 AM

Yippee! I had a week and a half of the crazies but am now back to my "medicated normal".

I don't know if it was hormonal or what but I got very down for no reason that I can think of. It felt like I just couldn't shake it off and I was pretty low.

#384 of 572 Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

do any of you take anti-depressants AND mood stabilizers? I am really pretty stable...except I still get depressed. : I am not sure how to express that concern to my pdoc.

And then sometimes I an really anxious. I told them I HATED the klonapin ut now I am thinking it could help - just on an "as needed" basis. Do I HAVE to take it every day? I am calling.
#385 of 572 Old 09-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachsara View Post
I'm on Lamictal (100 mgs) and haven't had any side effects so far. I know that the S-J rash can be scary but it is pretty rare and it generally does develop slowly, so that you have time to seek medical treatment before it gets bad, yk?

I started the Lamictal after my DD had already weaned but my pdoc told me that she is comfortable with me taking it during pregnancy and nursing.
I agree, also, both I and my 9 yr old are on it and its been life changing. Life was pure hell before it and we were both in a very bad space for pretty much her entire life. Now I only have about 2 days of hell a month although I don't know what got into her yesterday, I just hope today is better! Anyway I'm usually severely depressed though the spring/summer months and I'm literally at the week the depression lifts rapidly (My cycles are very predictable and it lifts right after Sept 6th if not that day) and just this morning I considered going off meds but decided its not worth the risk, I LIKE being on an even kneel and not having the wild swings that turn on a dime. I opted for help and meds because I wasn't being the mom my kids needed (I was always angry on top of depressed) and at the time I thought it was just the depression but my moods rapidly stabilized on it. I now know that most of the time for the past several years I've been in a mixed state brought on by the severe stress of caring for my medically fragile kids and the mood issues that come from raising a BP child which more and more often left me wishing I was dead (not actually suicidal, just the thought of "not being" for a while to escape the hell I was living). I don't have those feelings anymore and neither I or my dd are angry monsters anymore and seriously I feel like that's what we were (we fed off each other) but before meds I could not see that. I just saw how she was effecting me and not that I was a part of the problem too. Anyway, lamictal helped clear our minds and neither of us has had side effects other then the vivid dreams and the occasional nightmare although my friend thinks my nightmares are funny. The last one I dreamed I took a preg test and it was + and I had a total freak out (I do NOT want to be preg!), I woke up and it took me about 5 minutes to reason out that yes it was a dream and there really was no chance of pregnancy but its kinda hard to tell dream from reality when those dreams hit since they seem so real but after a few minutes you can tell but man, the first couple of minutes suck. Small price to pay though for stable moods though.

Seriously?
#386 of 572 Old 09-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
do any of you take anti-depressants AND mood stabilizers? I am really pretty stable...except I still get depressed. : I am not sure how to express that concern to my pdoc.

And then sometimes I an really anxious. I told them I HATED the klonapin ut now I am thinking it could help - just on an "as needed" basis. Do I HAVE to take it every day? I am calling.

I am on Prozac as well as Lamictal and, so far, it's been a pretty good combo for me. I don't think that I could go without an anti-d as I have the tendency to have more severe downs than ups.

For the Klonapin, I don't see why you couldn't take it as needed. Definately talk to your dr about it. If your med needs to be tweaked, they need to know so they can help.

#387 of 572 Old 09-16-2009, 02:39 AM

I'm on Wellbutrin together with Geodon and it seems to help quite a bit. The Geodon controls my mania and the Wellbutrin helps with my depression.

I'm pretty sure you can just take the Klonopin when you feel like you need it. That is what I do with my anti-anxiety med. It is prescribed for me to take up to three times a day but I usually only take it once every few days. I don't like taking it regularly because I don't want to get dependent on it.

I would just explain everything to your doc and see what he/she says.
#388 of 572 Old 09-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Banned

i take topamax(mood stab.), zoloft (anti-d, and anti-anxiety, also helps with ocd), and buspar (anti-anxiety. i have about 10 prescriptions for klonopins, but i rarely take them. as long as i stay on top of my other meds, at least. i had some issues with depression creeping in last winter, despite my meds, and my pdoc upped my zoloft and that did the trick. maybe try increasing your anti-d? and just tell your pdoc that you're depressed!
#389 of 572 Old 09-29-2009, 11:08 AM

Has anyone tried moon drops for sleeping?? My therapist recommended them and even said doctors are prescribing them for sleep? Anyone know if they are okay for breastfeeding?

Sorry I am just having a really hard time and currently only getting about 2 or 3 hours of sleep each night.

#390 of 572 Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
Has anyone tried moon drops for sleeping?? My therapist recommended them and even said doctors are prescribing them for sleep? Anyone know if they are okay for breastfeeding?

Sorry I am just having a really hard time and currently only getting about 2 or 3 hours of sleep each night.
Never tried them but googled them and there a homeopathic remedy. I'm next time I place an amazon order I'm going to get a box and see if they help dd. I'd love to get her off the clonidine at night.

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page