Is there a Bi-polar support thread? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 572 Old 10-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Peacemamalove so sorry you're not feeling well

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#422 of 572 Old 10-28-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
HI ladies I am emotional wreck today. needing hugs
you got it.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#423 of 572 Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
HI ladies I am emotional wreck today. needing hugs

Well I'm in a life sucks and were screwed kinda mood, its been one bad thing after another for 2 months straight and I'm sick of it. The weaning off the Risperdal on dd I'm about to declare a failure only a couple days in, we've only gone down .25mg and she's already starting to hit the 3 yr old again (and she's not sleeping!). She hit her at least 4-5 times today that I am aware of. Thankfully it wasn't hard but still, she's got to learn to control these impulses and not need a serious drug to control them. I have really wild impulses all the time but I sure as heck don't follow them! She just doesn't think, she just acts and its really frustrating me. The kids are fighting non stop, I finally got the living room clean (took 3 solid hours of concentrated effort) and there doing there damdest to rip it apart again and I spent the majority of the day yelling and screaming over them doing dangerous stupid stuff and trying to destroy my living room. I forced dd to watch an ep of Hoarders so she would SEE the kind of disaster she creates. Once she saw it in someone else's house she realized how bad it looks. It does not bother her to live in such mess and I just can't handle it anymore I think I secretly want to surround the living room with live wire to keep the kids out of it so I have at least 1 place that's clean I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of both kids for a couple of hours so I can do a clean sweep of the bedroom, its really bad in there. The beds are clear but the floor? yep, she saw that on Hoarders too, thankfully its not rotting food but a serious amount of clutter that I had packed neatly in the closet and dd dragged it all out (and people wonder why I have pad locks installed on my closets!) dd freaks out if I want to trash an empty wrapper and acts like the world is ending when you throw it out, she's a serious pack rat and its not helping my depression oh yeah, I saw the psych today and finally got the chutzpah to ask what my dx is exactly, I mean I strongly suspected and I know dd is BP 1 which has made my life hell but yep, they have me listed as BP NOS, they didn't want to classify it I or II until she's known me for awhile, she wants to see if I go into a manic phase like dd does. Told her nope, hypomania yeah, mixed states? hell yeah but mostly major depression The Lamictal is helping that though but days where I have to spend the whole day yelling at the kids like today just really really bring me down and make me want to curl up in a ball and hide.

Seriously?
#424 of 572 Old 10-29-2009, 01:16 AM

Just because she has BP doesn't mean she's not expected to learn assaulting someone is not ok. I am insisting on lowering her medication because of the side effects are no longer acceptable and the drugs to control them are not working as well. This drug causes her chronic stomach aches, severe constipation which she has to take Miralax for, its setting off her reflux (so she has to take Pepcid 2x a day plus Mylanta several times a day and the Dr has ordered Prilosec on top of that). She's also gained an obscene amount of weight in the 6 months she's been on it as well.

I want to try alternatives but first I need her off the drug because I can't tell which one if screwing with her if she's taking a drug that's messing so badly with her GI tract. Plus we need to start food challenges again, we can't do that with her on this drug if she's complaining of chronic stomach aches, we can't tell if its a reaction to the food or just the Risperdal.

I chose to put her on the Risperdal back in Feb when she went manic and became extremely violent to the point she had to be removed from the home for 3 months for our safety and was dx'd as BP at that point. I put her on it out of desperation and frustration, now she's on a mood stabilizer which has helped greatly and so far its had no side effects.

Maybe I don't understand BP, I'm new to it as its only been 6 months since this hell was given a name but I just can't understand how someone is supposed to learn how to control there impulses if they never have them due to the drug. Its not like I'm looking for a quick wean, we planned a very slow wean down of .25 every 2 weeks to give her some time to adjust. I plan on trying alternatives to it but for now I need her off this drug due to the side effects.

Seriously?
#425 of 572 Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 AM

You're looking at it backwards. We do still have those impulses with the drugs, but medicating the brain helps us control our behaviors. Without the meds, our brain chemistry doesn't work the way it should.

There are alternatives to Risperdal if you want to go the allopathic route. Honestly I'm with Carley, though, that early-onset BP is very serious. The prognosis is not good for most of the children with it, but the studies I've read show that earlier treatment helps tremendously in long-term care.

It's possible to learn to live with BP no meds (either allo- or naturopathic) and function well, but there are few who do it. Most of the people I know (and myself when I was in this category) who opt not to be medicated have severe mood swings that cause major life problems - or they have lives that allow the flexibility to deal with the illness. Her behavior changes because she has a chronic illness. She needs treatment. If you decide not to use meds, then you will have significant behavioral modification therapy, and even then, it's very likely she will have outbursts and possibly even violent behaviors. They're hallmarks of the illness, not a personality flaw your daughter has or a behavior she can simply learn to get over.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#426 of 572 Old 10-29-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
You're looking at it backwards. We do still have those impulses with the drugs, but medicating the brain helps us control our behaviors. Without the meds, our brain chemistry doesn't work the way it should.

There are alternatives to Risperdal if you want to go the allopathic route. Honestly I'm with Carley, though, that early-onset BP is very serious. The prognosis is not good for most of the children with it, but the studies I've read show that earlier treatment helps tremendously in long-term care.

It's possible to learn to live with BP no meds (either allo- or naturopathic) and function well, but there are few who do it. Most of the people I know (and myself when I was in this category) who opt not to be medicated have severe mood swings that cause major life problems - or they have lives that allow the flexibility to deal with the illness. Her behavior changes because she has a chronic illness. She needs treatment. If you decide not to use meds, then you will have significant behavioral modification therapy, and even then, it's very likely she will have outbursts and possibly even violent behaviors. They're hallmarks of the illness, not a personality flaw your daughter has or a behavior she can simply learn to get over.
Agreed.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#427 of 572 Old 10-29-2009, 03:23 PM

I have removed several posts from this thread. Please be mindful that this is a sensitive issue and that there is a way to be supportive and disagree at the same time.

I suggest that everyone remember that there is a human being at the other side of your monitor doing the best they can to understand and deal with their particular life-altering mental illness and family's dynamics.

Gentle explanations are most effective and personal attacks rarely are. The people here are looking for supportive information.

If I have removed your post yet and haven't returned it or contacted you I will get to it shortly, my kids have the flu.

Allgirls
#428 of 572 Old 10-29-2009, 03:34 PM

s Satori

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#429 of 572 Old 10-29-2009, 05:21 PM

Does anyone have this book? Was it helpful?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...lance&n=283155

#430 of 572 Old 11-02-2009, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't seen the book, sorry.

Sartori, How are things going now?

A few things come to mind. Have you considered having your dd go inpatient to wean off the R more quickly? They can do this safely if she is inpatient. I have done this for myself before when I was having bad side effects.
Another thing - I used to be very violent also, and I was also a 'floor? what floor?' kind of person At first, I couldn't see how on earth I could possibly see my outbursts coming, much less do something to minimize it. It takes sooooo much to turn it around, but it is worth the effort. Granted doing it for yourself is different than trying to help another do it.
Things that helped me - throwing tupperware instead, I had a little pillow thingy that looked like a computer, and when you threw it, it made a crash sound like breaking glass. Very cathartic!!!
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy - this is designed for Borderline Personality, but when I was starting out, I lived very rurally and it was offered to anyone who wanted to learn some life skills. Many places are putting teen groups together. I wonder if there is something out there similar that might be helpful to her? It *really* has made a huge impact on how I self talk and relate to others and I went from a rage-aholic to more patient than most people I know. It took 4 years, but wow!!! I feel so good! I have my days and my moments, but over all this has been a huge blessing.

I have also heard a lot of great things about using cranio-sacral technique for these illnesses, which can be done in concert with meds.

I hope something here or in my last post will help. Oh, also check out 'The Daily Groove" by Scott Noelle. It's a short once a day email that helps turn things around and makes it easier to reduce our yelling. I don't know if it would be helpful to you or not, but I do know it's not a big energy suck or time suck like other guidance things can be.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#431 of 572 Old 11-02-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrietsmama View Post
I haven't seen the book, sorry.

Sartori, How are things going now?

A few things come to mind. Have you considered having your dd go inpatient to wean off the R more quickly? They can do this safely if she is inpatient. I have done this for myself before when I was having bad side effects.
Thank you for asking

It isn't so much as side effects from a fast weaning as it is the violent and very frequent outbursts that occur as soon as we start stepping down on the dose (we started it due to severe violent behavior back in Feb of this year). I did kinda get hit over the head by my psych last week when I went in for my appt, guess I was in a bad mood and the first question out of her mouth was "How are you doing? Been taking your vitamins?" ummm, kinda forgot a lot the past 2 weeks.... hence really cranky mood and reminder there just as, if not more important then the mood stabilizer for me. Gotta love malabsorption issues, low vitamin/mineral levels cause psych issues big time in me and dd too. Only problem is I can't find vitamins that 1) are safe for her allergies and 2) that she will willingly take. She does great taking my vitamin regimen but seriously, violence will erupt if I try getting her to swallow the pills (she did for a short while then decided not to anymore) and you can't chew capsules. However, for some stupid reason it never ever occurred to me to just open the stupid things up and taste the powder and see if its something I can mask. I tried it and its not bad at all and is easily masked in her morning banana smoothie (she knows I put it in there). Were on I think day 4 and yesterday was a lot better then the previous weeks and she only made one mess (supposedly "cleaning", umm yeah right, I still gotta clean that up) and today was amazing. Yes she was hyper but it wasn't manic hyper, she wasn't destructive, I didn't have to yell a single time, there was only one tantrum and it was over in about a minute which is record. She listened for the most part and over all there was a calm about her even though she was full of energy if that makes sense. I actually got to spend most of the day in the kitchen without the kids fighting because her mood was so stable today. I'm going to pick up the 2nd supp that I know really helps stabilize her mood in a couple days when I have the money. I want to make sure all her vitamin/mineral levels are high enough before we try weaning again so probably a week or two at least before we try again. I'm always to tired and worn out dealing with her that I kinda gave up on the nutrition front even though I know she has the same exact malabsorption issue I do. I've spent her entire life battling it and its just difficult in general to get her to take the vitamins and when its between a roof over your head and the heat on vitamins kinda get pushed to the back as why bother. I need to make them just as important as paying the rent, just don't know where I'm going to get the money since the supply I bought for me when I had the money is going to be gone super fast with her taking it too at least I found have a cheap supplier online, well cheaper then the local hfs by about 50% anyway

For those wondering or shaking there heads that I'm crazy, yes, malnutrition really can cause mental health issues. This is well documented, especially with diseases like celiac (which dd and I both have) and can cause all kinds of issues from depression to schizophrenia and everything in between. Its actually written in bold on the front of my chart that any time I'm brought in in crisis they need to check for gluten ingestion and taking vitamins because they have seen me go down hill a number of times from this.

Seriously?
#432 of 572 Old 11-03-2009, 12:47 PM

I am having a WOW! moment. DD does not sleep unless she's given clonidine, its an optional med and its considered PRN. I give it every night just because she won't go to sleep without it. It only knocks her about for about 3 hours then the Risperdal helps keep her in a light sleep until 6-7am if I'm lucky.

Last night I picked up her Calcium/Magnesium supplement and restarted her on that (haven't been able to afford it in months even though its only $10 mo) and I think it was this thread were someone's Dr recommended the homeopathic Moon Drops? I found them at the health food store for $4.99 and I picked up some chewable melatonin from Trader Joes for I think it was $4 for 100 (500mcg which is about 1/6 the normal dose).

Last night I skipped the clonidine and gave her both the melatonin and a moon drop about 8:30 (we didn't even get home until 8 and she was still bouncing off the walls at 8:30). I honestly was worried it would not make her sleep. By 10pm she was asleep and its now 7:30am and she's still asleep! Tonight I will only give her either the melatonin or a moon drop and see what happens but wow, I will be thrilled if I can get her off the clonidine, that stuff scares me, I've seen what it does to her BP and heart rate and I don't like it. oh, and yes both her pedi and pdoc suggested the melatonin months ago but I never got around to trying it plus, just couldn't afford it. Can't really afford it now but I have the money and the rest will have to work itself out.

btw, I took the same sleep combo and about the same time it hit her I just felt like I was naturally getting tired/sleepy and not drugged at all and I slept peacefully and woke up feeling rested at 5:30am and forced myself to stay in bed until 6:30 when I had to get up and get my toddler off to daycare because I have school today.

Seriously?
#433 of 572 Old 11-03-2009, 03:34 PM

moon drops are great Satori I sleep great now when I am manic because of them

on the other hand I am having a really hard time not getting overwhelmed we have tons of bills and debt our cars are falling apart DH owes $1500 for his ambulance ride when he got injured. I feel like things are just coming apart at te seams. My sons birthday is this month and Solstice is not to far off as well and we are barely making it through, I feel so horrible

#434 of 572 Old 11-04-2009, 01:45 PM

Satori, I'm glad the melatonin and Moon Drops are helping. I really believe sleep issues are at the core of a lot of mental health problems. I know sleep won't fix a problem like bipolar, but I definitely notice a difference in functioning ability when I'm sleep-deprived.

Quote:
on the other hand I am having a really hard time not getting overwhelmed we have tons of bills and debt our cars are falling apart DH owes $1500 for his ambulance ride when he got injured. I feel like things are just coming apart at te seams. My sons birthday is this month and Solstice is not to far off as well and we are barely making it through, I feel so horrible

I was coming here to post about something similar. I've decided that for Christmas, we're probably not doing much in the way of gifts or anything. I'm going to host a "coffee & cakes" party for friends. I'm asking everyone to bring a dessert to share if they can. We'll provide tea and coffee, and hopefully just have a good time. It'll be cheap, but I'd like to do *something* for our friends. For the kids, we're getting very little, but we've already talked to them about it. I don't know about anyone else; honestly they'll be lucky to get a card this year.

My bigger problem/concern, I suppose, is that I really believe I'm much of the cause for our financial problems. I'm a spender when I'm manic, and then when I'm depressed, we end up spending to go out to eat or pay for other convenience items because I'm not up to. We're in major, major debt because of me, and I haven't worked in months because I just haven't been able. Hubby has suggested I seek out disability, but I don't think I'd qualify. Even then, disability payments would help with daily expenses, but they wouldn't help us get rid of the debt, which right now is killing us. So, how do you deal with the guilt from what the illness does to you/your family? I need desperately to move past this, but I just don't know how.

#435 of 572 Old 11-04-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Satori, I'm glad the melatonin and Moon Drops are helping. I really believe sleep issues are at the core of a lot of mental health problems. I know sleep won't fix a problem like bipolar, but I definitely notice a difference in functioning ability when I'm sleep-deprived.

I was coming here to post about something similar. I've decided that for Christmas, we're probably not doing much in the way of gifts or anything. I'm going to host a "coffee & cakes" party for friends. I'm asking everyone to bring a dessert to share if they can. We'll provide tea and coffee, and hopefully just have a good time. It'll be cheap, but I'd like to do *something* for our friends. For the kids, we're getting very little, but we've already talked to them about it. I don't know about anyone else; honestly they'll be lucky to get a card this year.

My bigger problem/concern, I suppose, is that I really believe I'm much of the cause for our financial problems. I'm a spender when I'm manic, and then when I'm depressed, we end up spending to go out to eat or pay for other convenience items because I'm not up to. We're in major, major debt because of me, and I haven't worked in months because I just haven't been able. Hubby has suggested I seek out disability, but I don't think I'd qualify. Even then, disability payments would help with daily expenses, but they wouldn't help us get rid of the debt, which right now is killing us. So, how do you deal with the guilt from what the illness does to you/your family? I need desperately to move past this, but I just don't know how.
I just gave her the melatonin last night and she went to sleep without a problem and stayed asleep until morning, hoping this is a viable alternative to the clonidine, I can't remember the last time she slept through the night and woke up rested. I think were on day 6 now of no blow ups thanks to the vites and she's in a good mood and not manic hyper or aggressive. Totally different kid

For your debt problem, just a suggestion, is it credit cards that are whats allowing you to spend? Taking money from a bank account? Do you know when your manic? or get warning that a mood shift is coming? Its pretty drastic but is it possible to cut up the credit cards? or have your DH keep them were *you* can't get to them? Maybe keep them at his work (to easy to take them from his wallet or some where else in the home) or something so you would have to get though him to spend the money? If its taking money from the ATM/bank maybe have him take your name off the account for now? Pretty drastic I know and would be a very scary move for me to make me so dependent on someone but if it meant protecting my family from my own spending habits I would probably do it. Its just a thought but one I would consider if I were in your shoes

Seriously?
#436 of 572 Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM

Just wanted to offer lots of hugs to Peacemamalove and BrandiRhoades. I totally understand the financial aspect and extra weight that can add to trying to cope day to day with the depression.

My past spending is still haunting me, trying to pay down cards little by little from YEARS and YEARS ago, pre husband, pre kids. It is scary and I often have to not think too hard about it to avoid hysteria. We just take it day by day, we really don't have any other choice.

I'm going to have to look in to the moon drops because I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately and it's causing me to be very paranoid and scared at night when I finally do get to bed. I can't take Melatonin consistently because even half tablets will make me have nightmares and wake feeling like I've been hit by a truck after a few days of use. Not sure why that happens, but my doc says she's had patients react that way before?

Proud mama to DD#1 (11) DS (4) and DD#2 ( 2 )
#437 of 572 Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogachick79 View Post
Just wanted to offer lots of hugs to Peacemamalove and BrandiRhoades. I totally understand the financial aspect and extra weight that can add to trying to cope day to day with the depression.

My past spending is still haunting me, trying to pay down cards little by little from YEARS and YEARS ago, pre husband, pre kids. It is scary and I often have to not think too hard about it to avoid hysteria. We just take it day by day, we really don't have any other choice.

I'm going to have to look in to the moon drops because I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately and it's causing me to be very paranoid and scared at night when I finally do get to bed. I can't take Melatonin consistently because even half tablets will make me have nightmares and wake feeling like I've been hit by a truck after a few days of use. Not sure why that happens, but my doc says she's had patients react that way before?
I actually ran across a warning about this when researching melatonin and if I remember right this happens when 2 things occur, your taking it at the wrong time and taking to much of it. Your not supposed to take it while its still light outside unless your in a dark room since the light sends a signal to the brain to wake up rather then prepare for sleep and your not supposed to take it if you have to get up within X amount of hours but I'm drawing a blank on what that is. Anyway, just what I read.

Seriously?
#438 of 572 Old 11-04-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
For your debt problem, just a suggestion, is it credit cards that are whats allowing you to spend? Taking money from a bank account? Do you know when your manic? or get warning that a mood shift is coming? Its pretty drastic but is it possible to cut up the credit cards? or have your DH keep them were *you* can't get to them? Maybe keep them at his work (to easy to take them from his wallet or some where else in the home) or something so you would have to get though him to spend the money? If its taking money from the ATM/bank maybe have him take your name off the account for now? Pretty drastic I know and would be a very scary move for me to make me so dependent on someone but if it meant protecting my family from my own spending habits I would probably do it. Its just a thought but one I would consider if I were in your shoes
Most of the debt is from before hubby and kids. DH knew about it, so it wasn't a surprise. I just think we both thought we'd be able to handle it better. DH was handling the money, i.e. paying the bills, checking the account, but then he handed it back to me in May because he said it was too stressful. Since then I've really screwed up. We're behind on a couple of things right now. DH paid the bills when he got paid, but I tend to wait because we have no back-up. There's no emergency fund anywhere, and we don't have credit cards. I'm terrified of what will happen if there's some major problem, and we need money for it - a car problem or emergency room bill. So I tend to wait it out, but then I end up spending the money. I know that sounds so stupid, and it is. I don't know why I can't just get it under control.

DH wants to be oblivious to the money issues, so he won't question what we're spending. Then if he finds out we're late, he's upset with me. So I tend to fudge on how we're doing because I am so damned guilty.

#439 of 572 Old 11-04-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Most of the debt is from before hubby and kids. DH knew about it, so it wasn't a surprise. I just think we both thought we'd be able to handle it better. DH was handling the money, i.e. paying the bills, checking the account, but then he handed it back to me in May because he said it was too stressful. Since then I've really screwed up. We're behind on a couple of things right now. DH paid the bills when he got paid, but I tend to wait because we have no back-up. There's no emergency fund anywhere, and we don't have credit cards. I'm terrified of what will happen if there's some major problem, and we need money for it - a car problem or emergency room bill. So I tend to wait it out, but then I end up spending the money. I know that sounds so stupid, and it is. I don't know why I can't just get it under control.

DH wants to be oblivious to the money issues, so he won't question what we're spending. Then if he finds out we're late, he's upset with me. So I tend to fudge on how we're doing because I am so damned guilty.
I can understand that feeling, I tend to wait until the last possible day to pay bills because there's always that "what if" hanging over my head too.

Seriously?
#440 of 572 Old 11-05-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
s feeling the same way...it is hard when your kids get so excited and start talking about it.

#441 of 572 Old 11-08-2009, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I can understand that feeling, I tend to wait until the last possible day to pay bills because there's always that "what if" hanging over my head too.
I use online banking and force myself to pay everything first, even if it isn't due at that time, I just go down the list and set it up. Then I use cash. But I didn't always have this ability, it took years of working over the phone with my mom and her bailing me out. I am so thankful that she was able to help me learn along the way! Of course a lot of my issue was more inability to properly manage my money at all.
What about credit counseling help? I am starting to get way over my head with my credit card debts, which are primarily medical, gas and groceries. I was doing fine until all the cc companies started jacking all their rates. I went to Greenpath, but there are a ton out there. They got all my interest rates dropped by a lot. they have to close the accounts to do it, but you can keep one open for emergencies, it just is up to you to pay it then. There is a fee, but it's small compared to the $5000 in interest I'm saving in my particular case. They can also help set up budget stuff otherwise. They don't charge for consulting, and they spent an hour with me going over all my financial stuff and mapping my money to help me make decisions about how to make it better. They had good suggestions about some stuff I'm dealing with and they can hook you up with local resources for certain situations or services.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#442 of 572 Old 11-08-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrietsmama View Post
I use online banking and force myself to pay everything first, even if it isn't due at that time, I just go down the list and set it up. Then I use cash. But I didn't always have this ability, it took years of working over the phone with my mom and her bailing me out. I am so thankful that she was able to help me learn along the way! Of course a lot of my issue was more inability to properly manage my money at all.
What about credit counseling help? I am starting to get way over my head with my credit card debts, which are primarily medical, gas and groceries. I was doing fine until all the cc companies started jacking all their rates. I went to Greenpath, but there are a ton out there. They got all my interest rates dropped by a lot. they have to close the accounts to do it, but you can keep one open for emergencies, it just is up to you to pay it then. There is a fee, but it's small compared to the $5000 in interest I'm saving in my particular case. They can also help set up budget stuff otherwise. They don't charge for consulting, and they spent an hour with me going over all my financial stuff and mapping my money to help me make decisions about how to make it better. They had good suggestions about some stuff I'm dealing with and they can hook you up with local resources for certain situations or services.

Mine isn't poor money management, its a lack of money issue. To many times I've been in deep doo doo because I paid the bills right away then we had an emergency and were SOL. Say dd got a bacterial infection, it takes 3 WEEKS to get the ins co to approve it because of her dx on file so they feel the need to pick it apart and decide if they are going to pay it or CCS is and I have to either pay OOP or let her get sicker rapidly or say we have to run up to the hospital which is $50 in gas plus lodging at the Ronald McDonald House or something else that can not wait. The bills can wait a month if need be, an emergency can not wait. So the money is often there but not used until the last possible day just in case and when you only have $100 to pay everything after the rent is paid every penny counts.

Seriously?
#443 of 572 Old 11-08-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
I just gave her the melatonin last night and she went to sleep without a problem and stayed asleep until morning, hoping this is a viable alternative to the clonidine, I can't remember the last time she slept through the night and woke up rested. I think were on day 6 now of no blow ups thanks to the vites and she's in a good mood and not manic hyper or aggressive. Totally different kid
Did a little experimenting and a combo of the melatonin and moon drops seems to work best for her and she's been sleeping though the night now for several nights without the clonidine. She's been doing extremely well on the vitamin combo but we've learned though trial and error we need to get them into her 1st thing in the morning and split her calcium/magnesium dose for 1/2 morning and 1/2 at bed time. She can turn on a dime but within an hour of getting her vitamins into her she becomes a different kid, much more calm, not so emotional and well, the extremely bipolar kid she was. The pdoc is thrilled and we have started trying to wean her off the Risperdal again and today was day 3 and so far so good (never made it past 24 hours before) as long as she gets those vits first thing. I have a feeling her malabsorption must be way worse then mine if she's this effected by them. I am curious though, I know a lot of people swear by TrueHope (even a mama from here PM'd me because she found healing from BP on them) and when I set out to find a vitamin comparable to there formula since I couldn't afford it I found these, (dd takes half the normal dose for an adult) there almost identical to the TrueHope formula and if I understood there info right its based on the belief that BP is caused by nutritional imbalances and in dd's and my case I can really believe that is the case for us. For those wondering, dd has 2 different malabsorption syndromes, celiac which she's on a GF diet for and another one related to her CVID (severe immune deficiency) that causes the same malabsorption celiac does but it doesn't respond to diet like celiac does and they continue to have malabsorption issues. I have no plans at this time to wean her off the lamictal since it causes zero side effects but I'll be thrilled to get her off the Risperdal and stop her GI issues.

Seriously?
#444 of 572 Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
For those wondering or shaking there heads that I'm crazy, yes, malnutrition really can cause mental health issues. This is well documented, especially with diseases like celiac (which dd and I both have) and can cause all kinds of issues from depression to schizophrenia and everything in between. Its actually written in bold on the front of my chart that any time I'm brought in in crisis they need to check for gluten ingestion and taking vitamins because they have seen me go down hill a number of times from this.
This is incredible DH has celiac and having a really hard time with moods, anxiety and depression. I've got to speak with him about this

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#445 of 572 Old 11-08-2009, 12:11 PM

Satori,

I thought it was my understanding BP is a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Regarding the vitamins, I am thinking of taking them for myself. Is there a men's formula or can men take the women's formula?

#446 of 572 Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 PM

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/bipola...aids/#comments

#447 of 572 Old 11-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Satori,

Regarding the vitamins, I am thinking of taking them for myself. Is there a men's formula or can men take the women's formula?
Twinlabs makes a mens formula but I picked that specific formula not because it was a woman's formula but because its almost identical to the formula they use at www.truehope.com which many have claimed great success with (its often combined with a ratio (1:7 I think?) of DHA fish oil as well)

I honestly don't think they know what causes most mental health issues, its pretty well known that magnesium deficiency often causes major depression but Dr's never bother checking the level before reaching for drugs.

I look at mental health or any health issue for that matter the same as I look at chicken pox, it was usually not a big deal and treated with chicken soup until the CP vax was developed then all of the sudden it was this terrifying deadly disease when it had once been a right of passage. As always follow the money! Yes I believe there are honestly mentally ill people and I'm glad there are medication options for them but I just can't believe this many people in America, higher then any other nation are this ill. We have crap diets, most are malnourished, loaded with garbage food and they get all there nutrition from fortification because the nutrition has been stripped from there food. That leaves them very vulnerable to malnutrition since while the food is fortified with specific vitamins they don't replace all the vitamins that are lost during processing, things like naturally occurring micronutrients that are critical to our health and well being.

Seriously?
#448 of 572 Old 11-08-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Satori,

It is a chemical imbalance. A chemical imbalance can be caused by the body's inability to utilize vitamins/minerals to create the proper balance of brain chemicals which leads to the imbalance.

There are so many studies on this, and I am a testament to nutritional therapy as a way of controlling mental illness.

Bipolar people have many common characteristics and one thing they've discovered is that we can't absorb certain vitamins. It's basically a form of malnutrition.

I'm probably not doing a good job of describing this, but there are books and articles and medical journal studies that explain the latest information about this.

I as a bipolar sufferer believe in treating the symptoms in whatever way gets you relief. I don't believe in experimenting with nutritional therapies in accute situations (mania/suicidal situations/very unstable people), but once you are stable as a patient and are fairly intelligent I think it's smart to read as much as possible and if drugs don't work for you, or you still don't feel "well" I say try new things.

I use a supplement from this company www.truehope.com and it has saved my life. SAVED MY LIFE. *I also take a very pure fish oil from www.omegabrite.com it has a different ratio than most fish oils specific to mental illness and achieving relief.

I haven't been manic in over 2 years, and I was a rapid cycler. I haven't felt suicidal or cut myself in over 2 years.

This is amazing, and is not mere coincidence. Bipolar disorder is a progressive disease, it gets worse not better. It causes brain damage.

I don't think the "cure" or answer to bipolar disorder lies with simply popping a Centrum vitamin and eating right, but the answer MUST lie somewhere in the area of what goes into the body, and how the body then attempts to create balance. A bipolar person isn't acheiving balance in the brain. Why? That is the question science is trying to answer.

(Hi Satori- it was me that PMed you, I'm glad you found something that works!)

Oh and curiously I am deathly allergic (not celiac) to wheat/gluten eggs, and some other things. I think bipolar people have seriously "off" systems and are sensitive to many things.

I wish they'd study it more. It's quite interesting to me and I think there's a lot of hope in the area of finding a cure for bipolar disorder.
#449 of 572 Old 11-08-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Turner View Post
This is incredible DH has celiac and having a really hard time with moods, anxiety and depression. I've got to speak with him about this
Celiac is a nasty little thing, I do the Jeckle and Hyde thing if I get glutened and being off my vitamins for a while got me a BP dx things got so bad. dd gets violent on top of the normal celiac reaction to gluten.

Seriously?
#450 of 572 Old 11-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
I use a supplement from this company www.truehope.com and it has saved my life. SAVED MY LIFE. *I also take a very pure fish oil from www.omegabrite.com it has a different ratio than most fish oils specific to mental illness and achieving relief.
The kirkland brand at costco is supposed to have the perfect ratio and is much much cheaper and without the fishy burps. I got some but haven't tried it yet. A lot of people have reported that it works better then the brite, might be worth looking into.

Quote:
I don't think the "cure" or answer to bipolar disorder lies with simply popping a Centrum vitamin and eating right, but the answer MUST lie somewhere in the area of what goes into the body, and how the body then attempts to create balance. A bipolar person isn't acheiving balance in the brain. Why? That is the question science is trying to answer.
Centrum are crap vitamins anyway

Quote:
Oh and curiously I am deathly allergic (not celiac) to wheat/gluten eggs, and some other things. I think bipolar people have seriously "off" systems and are sensitive to many things.
Google "cerebral allergy"

Quote:
I wish they'd study it more. It's quite interesting to me and I think there's a lot of hope in the area of finding a cure for bipolar disorder.
I don't see them ever really doing this because they would lose a lot of money. Look how much True Hope costs? Over $100 mo and that's still far cheaper then pharmas. We can't afford that, I found the same formula for $13 mo online. Anyway, I think Bipolar is much the same as autism, a lot of parents are finding the cause of there child's autism and curing them but the trick is finding the cause and often that's the million dollar question with so many variables.

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page