Is there a Bi-polar support thread? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
All the allopathic books say don't take the meds while breastfeeding because they don't value breastfeeding --
Yea and my baby is a year old so its not really important anyways, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Banned

jenny im looking at hale's book right now and it basically says they don';t have a lot of info on abilify and breastfeeding, but they classify it as a L3. i'm taking an L3, so i personally think its ok, but its a personal decision.

i found this when i did a search on lact net (the link i provided up thread):

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...temp/~t9s6Fi:1
Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I am considering weaning.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned

she's a year old so dont beat yourself up over it. but if you really dont want to, can you try discussing another med with your pdoc? i know ive mentioned this a few dozen times, but seriously, topamax is amazing. and very few side effects. well, it makes you kinda DUMB for awhile, like mommy brain on crack, but it gets better. lol.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
Also I am going to have to convince her to give it to me when I am nursing...she seems really really worried.
I don't completely blame her for this. When I was pg the first time, my OB wanted to give me Paxil. At the time, it was considered safe while pg or bf. I refused to take it because even though they said it didn't pass through the placenta, I was worried. About a year after DS was born, Paxil came out as very unsafe during pg/BF. There were a bunch of news stories about birth defects from it, and I was incredibly grateful that I'd stood my ground.

So my point is that I don't blame a pdoc at all for not wanting to rx something that Hale's says could be safe or that she's not sure about. That's a huge risk for her to take. Psych drugs are really hard on our bodies, too. Like Arwyn said, it's a balancing act, and it sounds like you and the doc are at different places on the scale, but maybe you can come to some compromise.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 PM

Anyone have to go off Lamictal onto Abilify? My family member has had to switch because while L helps the symptoms, the side efects prevent reaching a therapuetic dose (inability to focus- no rash). So the MHNP just switched them to Abilify. How do any of you who are on it feel about it? Especially if you have been on Lamictal before, do you feel it's as good? I would hate to see a return of symptoms Thanks!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Whatever you decide, know that it was because you're trying to do the best you can for your child and yourself.

Do you feel like you have to? Or that it might be best?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterbug1999 View Post
Anyone have to go off Lamictal onto Abilify?
Yes me! I just swicthed from Lamictal to Abilify. I don't know if I can answer your question though because I was only on the Lamictal for a week when I was in so much pain I could barely walk (joint pain). I tried to tough it out until I realized that I was being stupid
The abilify is fine so far. It makes me sleepy and hungry but thats about it.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
So there's nothing compatible?
You won't get any judgement from me whatever you decide to do
Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

got pills 2day.

Depakote.

Its the only one she would give me while nursing.

Thank frigging God, relief is on its way.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
got pills 2day.

Depakote.

Its the only one she would give me while nursing.

Thank frigging God, relief is on its way.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

gah. I feel like : today from these meds!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
gah. I feel like : today from these meds!
You and me both sister!
Omg.
I am going in tomorrow to talk about it because I can't stand it.

So what are your symptoms?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

what kinds of side effects? i tried a lot of meds before i found one that allowed me to function. a lot of them made me soooo sleepy.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

I am on depakote ER. I took 250 last night and then again this morning. I was really ready to get the ball rolling but I should just take all of it at night.

I am sleepy, lightheaded, tummy ache, no appetite.

I am giving it 2 weeks unless something really crazy happens.

It just like totally accellerated all of my normal depression symptoms, kwim?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

oops.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Mine symptoms are that I feel like jumping out of my skin but lack the energy to do so. Very uncomfortable. Also major anxiety.
I take Wellbutrin and Abilify. Maybe not for much longer.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:16 AM

I don't even know where to begin.. I've only posted once in this thread, although I read often. I have pretty severe manic depression and OCD. The Ocd really only gets bad when I'm super stressed, or PREGNANT. UGh.. anyways, I've been on Lexapro for several years.. it helps with the OCD and depressive part of my illness. I USED to take a mood stabilizer then just stopped taking them like an idiot several years ago.. Since then I've been able to deal with the mania.. although it's caused many fights between my husband where I get soo irritated and aggressive. I'm about 6 months post partum, and I'm getting out of control. I'm a rapid cycler , and I've been going several nights on just 2-3 hours of sleep.. then crashing. I feel insane.. I'm getting paranoid, and when I come down I get so low I really honestly fantasize about suicide. I cannot bring myself to do it now because I know my children need me.. but I'm afraid if I keep getting worse that one day I'll actually do it. I'm scared to go back on mood stabilizers.. I feel like such a damn guinea pig. I'm afraid I'm going to have to try so many different combinations, and it's going to be hard doing that while being a good mommy/dealing with the holidays/etc.. I know it's what I HAVE to do. I just need some reassurance/support/advice.. anything... My husband really doesn't "get it". I just wish this would all go away.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:09 AM

Please, please get yourself some help. You deserve it, and you need it. Are you taking high EPA fish oil? That can help without pharmaceuticals, although it really sounds like you need something serious, and soon. A quote I love is that meds suck [a donkey part], but untreated bipolar disorder sucks syphalitic [donkey anatomy]. It's better than the alternative. Really.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Yes you need to get help now. I know exactly what you mean about feeling like a guinea pig because I feel the same way but its important, like Arwyn said.
Please make an appointment for yourself right away, whether its with your primary to obtain a referral or if you can just go straight to a psychiatrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebebradford View Post
I don't even know where to begin.. I've only posted once in this thread, although I read often. I have pretty severe manic depression and OCD. The Ocd really only gets bad when I'm super stressed, or PREGNANT. UGh.. anyways, I've been on Lexapro for several years.. it helps with the OCD and depressive part of my illness. I USED to take a mood stabilizer then just stopped taking them like an idiot several years ago.. Since then I've been able to deal with the mania.. although it's caused many fights between my husband where I get soo irritated and aggressive. I'm about 6 months post partum, and I'm getting out of control. I'm a rapid cycler , and I've been going several nights on just 2-3 hours of sleep.. then crashing. I feel insane.. I'm getting paranoid, and when I come down I get so low I really honestly fantasize about suicide. I cannot bring myself to do it now because I know my children need me.. but I'm afraid if I keep getting worse that one day I'll actually do it. I'm scared to go back on mood stabilizers.. I feel like such a damn guinea pig. I'm afraid I'm going to have to try so many different combinations, and it's going to be hard doing that while being a good mommy/dealing with the holidays/etc.. I know it's what I HAVE to do. I just need some reassurance/support/advice.. anything... My husband really doesn't "get it". I just wish this would all go away.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

How is everyone doing here?

I feel like the depakote is helping me a bit in the "brain fog" department but also sometimes that goes away when I am getting ready to swing into mania.

Who has been at this a while? What do you do, keep a log all the time? (oh please say no. )

oh, and the weird thing is that my pdoc said I'll know its working "when I can sleep at night normally" (Like not taking an hour to fall asleep) but this seems to hype me up slightly and make it a bit harder to feel tired. (Not TONS but before with the severe symptoms I was freaking EXAUSTED and now I feel kind of awake at bedtime. Like I would have never stayed up till 10:40 2 weeks ago. But here I am.)
Old 12-20-2008, 11:48 AM

I don't know. I feel so weird. My anxiety was out of control which the doc says is just my worrying about my daugher, since she is what I perseverate on, but I think its from the meds. Then I take half of a klonopin and feel like it makes the meds not work right but takes the anxiety away.
And I feel just very odd in general, not even sure I can explain it. She seems to brush these things off when I complain. I think because she feels the side effects will go away. Hopefully she is right but I hate meds.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

im doing ok. i have a bad cold and have been sleeping at random times which messes with my med schedule. that sucks. but im trying to be aware of that and stay zen. lol.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 PM

ugh i just had about the worst weekend of my life. on fri i went to see my psych and she changed me from cymbalta 60 mg to zoloft 50 mg. left me on lamictal 200mg and added trazadone for sleep at 50mgs. we decided to do a cold turkey switch fri eve. she told me to watch for mood swings, mild discomfort, etc.
I woke up on saturday with a mild head ache. by 1pm i was nasesous and had the truns. by 3pm i couldn't move. my head was paining, i couldn't move without it feeling like it was going to explode. i coudln't keep anyting down. my body would start shaking so bad and i would break into cold sweat. my heart my gf came by and was ready to take me to the ER. i told her about the med switch so at lesat someone would come by to make sure i was still alive. by 5pm i was ready to take cymbalta so the horrilbe brain zaps, pulses and all the lovely upset stomach/virdigo would go away. instead my gf game me the zoloft, lamcital and trazadone. i managed tofall asleep until 9pm. i woke up feeling like shit. the head pain at least was dull, the nausea and the diarrhea were still there. i think i managed to eat 2 bananas and drink few glasses of water and some gatorade. i was up until 4am, munching and eliminating crackers and soda water. ugh. mild discomfort! WTF???
i woke up at 8:30am on sunday. i had to get dd from her dad's. i had a migraine which was tolerable. my whole body hurt, i had dry mouth. i ate a little, no nausea but i still had diarrhea. i managd to survive a whole day with dd. i was totally disorganized, thought and action wise. we didh't do much and the rain kept us in. i managed turkey and cheese sandwiches for dinner and some canned peaches. hehe.
so here is monday. i'm tired, my stomahc is still sensitive. i been existing on rice pudding, toast, ginger ale and crackers. i got stressed at work today over a project and well had the runs.
i can't tell if this is the zoloft, the withdrawls, stress?!? but no matter what i'll take that cymbalta again. omg, i thought i would die from the withdrawls. and i been on many many meds the past 16-17 years, and never had withdrawls like that.

single mama to DD 5.09
Old 12-23-2008, 03:32 AM

BrandiRhoades - thank you for letting me know. I hope one more day of this and I can feel functional again! this eve is much better, still the light headness but i think part of it is just adjusting my diet. i seem to eat less with cymbalta but be constantly bloated. now it seems like i have to increase the quantity of food to avoid that nauseasous light headed feeling...

single mama to DD 5.09
Old 12-24-2008, 02:22 PM

Thank you for the tip. I will keep that in mind. I am struggling with depression now too. Pdoc just increased my Welbutrin today actually.

You mentioned suicide and that scares me. How are you feeling today? Do you think about doing it yourself and if so, do you seek help?
Old 12-26-2008, 05:02 PM

Hi all-

So my 12 1/2 yr old DS was "officially" dx with Bipolar Disorder recently along with ADHD, ODD,etc..
I've know I've attempted and asked in the past, but here goes again:
Anyone know of natural, holistic treatments for this? I did try one holistic remedy during the summer that didn't work and my friend is going to be giving me another remedy to try soon (some snake venom or something). I usually (ran out recently) have him on OmegaBrite 4 capsules a day. Try to keep him away from artifical colors and stuff, which is really difficult since he sabotages me all the time! ugh.
He has a major heart condition and is on conventional meds twice a day already so I really don't want to put him on any more meds with a whole sleuth of possible nasty side effects.
But I am concerned...this mental illness is really debilitating to his home, school, everywhere life. He is in a behavioral school and we're working with a therapist, behaviorist, etc.. The thing is he is so smart and creative and could do soooo many things if it weren't for this mental condition. He loves so many things...and when he puts his mind to something..WOW! But his impulsiveness, lack of safety, lack of respect, negativity (sometimes)...his up..down..up..down's...killer! I have three other kids in the house..including an autistic son and another child that displays same behaviors the older did at his age. Its very difficult and I'm very concerned for him..in 5 yrs he'll be 18!! Scary.
So anyway I just like to check in time to time and make sure there's nothing else I could be doing for him besides med's. (everyone seems to point that direction).

Anyone?
Thanx
rayRay

Life Learning Momma to DS17, DS16,DS9jumpers.gifas well a dog, a cat, two birds...ttc babygirl.gif homeschool.gifnamaste.gif
Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Ray - There are lots of alternative theorys just like there are for any illness but the risk of suicide with bi-polar is enough to take pause alone, and medicate as needed. (The suicide rate could be as high as 20%!!!!!)

IMO, most of the huge impacts made on mental illness include limiting sugar (and carbs) but it certainly wont cure it.

And dietary changes at age 13, need to be made by the individual, not the mother. You can only encourage it. I would suggest you stick with meds until your kid wants to take the seriousness of this into his own hands.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
You mentioned suicide and that scares me. How are you feeling today? Do you think about doing it yourself and if so, do you seek help?
I am feeling much better. Thank you for asking. I've been told via PM that we can't discuss suicide here, however.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 PM

AuntRayRay, I went on meds off and on for about 15 years. I was diagnosed at 13. I am now on them - probably for life. I have the same concerns you mentioned - side effects, and for someone with a still-developing brain, the concern that the meds could affect his brain. I don't say that lightly. My 3YO is going to the pdoc in January, and he fits to a tee the signs of early onset bipolar. I can trace my own illness back before I was 13 to at least age 8. Bipolar in people so young is scary.

OTOH, it is an illness. It was only last summer that I really came to terms with that. I'm still struggling with it, but now I treat it as I would any other illness. My husband has juvenile diabetes, and he takes insulin. There are side effects, but he does what he needs to medicate a deficiency in his body. That's how I'm approaching bipolar as well.

I believe limiting carbs can be effective in some people. We have made dietary modifications for my son, and it's helped. The problem is that people with bipolar, especially children, tend to crave carbs. I know that I have carb binges, and so does my son. So dietary changes are going to be tough regardless, and I agree with transformed that he definitely has to be in agreement with you at his age. Thirteen's a tough age without mental health issues interfering.

A lot of people find that fish oil helps them. For some reason, it didn't for me, but it's definitely worth a try if you want some regulation. The things you mention, though, being creative but unable to focus (the story of my life) will be helped by the meds. Having been diagnosed at his age, though, I think it's important that he's fully involved in the discussions about his treatment. I wasn't, and I'm still resentful because I believe the illness would have taken a different and less devastating course had I been allowed to decide for myself early on.

User Tag List