Is there a Bi-polar support thread? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
layla - How are you feeling? What are you concerned about with this mania? Can you "roll with it?" and accept it for what it is until you go back on meds? Perhaps take more time to enjoy it (if its the good kind of mania) and if its the irritable, bite peoples heads off kind, watch loads of funny movies or something?

There are so many ways to manage this disease without meds, I think that even when we choose to go the med route, its important to be mindful of those ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 01:07 PM

im doing okay...
i was pretty surprised that i got that result.
im not sleeping much and getting irritated some and i keep getting the urge to do random things.
luckily i have no money to spend wildly though i find myself wanting to buy all kinds of things lately.
im reading 10 books... and spinning alot of plastic yarn...and wandering out in the middle of the night to do nothing...

im inbetween doctors. my last doctor was a jerk and he told me there was absolutely nothing i could take while pregnant.

if it gets really bad i could see someone. but for now im doing okay...

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

Old 05-09-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

ever tried melatonin or tylenol PM? does that work for bipolar?
Old 05-09-2009, 01:30 PM

i wont take tylenol and my mom had me on melatonin for the most part of my teenagerdom. i hated it...

i was on seroquel for the sleep issues.

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

Old 05-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Seroquel is a dream. Definitely take something for sleep. Sleep is #1!

I'm so sorry you're suffering s nobody should have to suffer!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 AM

Last year I was in a hospital on suicide watch. I told my therapist I really think I need a facility again. I'm not suicidal, but I'm just so overwhelmed that I'm spiraling down. He said that there's a center here called a "crisis stabilization unit." It's basically for people who aren't in life-threatening situations but are having a difficult time. They have counselors who meet with you throughout the day to help with preparing to get your life back on track. Has anyone been to one of these places? Part of me wants to go, and I've worked out arrangements for the kids if I do go, but part of me just thinks the day-to-day crap will be here when I get back.

I've been cutting this past week, which has hubby ready to send me somewhere. My ILs offered to let me stay at their house for a few days, and MIL would take care of a lot of stuff with the kids. My mom called last night and offered to let the kids come to her house for a week so I can get it together. I'm not sure if I'd be better off taking one of those offers. Sometimes I just want to check into a hotel for a couple of days to clear my head. It'd be easier and cheaper than the hospitalization option.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 05-12-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Brandi: :
Old 05-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
Last year I was in a hospital on suicide watch. I told my therapist I really think I need a facility again. I'm not suicidal, but I'm just so overwhelmed that I'm spiraling down. He said that there's a center here called a "crisis stabilization unit." It's basically for people who aren't in life-threatening situations but are having a difficult time. They have counselors who meet with you throughout the day to help with preparing to get your life back on track. Has anyone been to one of these places? Part of me wants to go, and I've worked out arrangements for the kids if I do go, but part of me just thinks the day-to-day crap will be here when I get back.

I've been cutting this past week, which has hubby ready to send me somewhere. My ILs offered to let me stay at their house for a few days, and MIL would take care of a lot of stuff with the kids. My mom called last night and offered to let the kids come to her house for a week so I can get it together. I'm not sure if I'd be better off taking one of those offers. Sometimes I just want to check into a hotel for a couple of days to clear my head. It'd be easier and cheaper than the hospitalization option.

Have you tried Zyprexa Zydis? It's accute & works within 10 minutes. It's expensive, however it's by far cheaper than hospitalization (or a hotel room). Your psych should have samples for you & those last a long time. You only have to take 1/4 tablet at a time & 1/4 additional as needed. It's really a miracle.

Are you on any other meds? Are you sleeping? Hospitalization should be the last resort of all last resorts. All they can do there is provide you with room & board while you get your meds sorted out. Yes, it's a "break," but if you can take Zyprexa Zydis until you're stabilized with the right med combination, you will be doing yourself and your family a huge favor. Remember, your family needs you and you need them. Being there for them and feeling like you have purpose will make you feel much better than feeling like you don't have any control over your life & need to be hospitalized.

Cutting is a behavioral issue, not a psychiatric one. Hospitalization or meds can't help you with that, only you can. Therapy sounds like a great idea for you. Stop cutting immediately. When you want to cut, look at your children. You don't want to cut, I know it. Don't cut anymore.

It's wonderful that you're taking care of your children. If you can get ahold of some Zyprexa Zydis & stabilize yourself while living family life as normal you will be much happier. Having the support of your in laws is a great blessing. Maybe you could have them come over often while you do things like run errands for yourself & take naps.

Do you ever do things for yourself? Since you're already considering spending the money to be hospitalized, consider getting a massage or taking a yoga class. They'll be much better for your body mind & spirit.

Try making a list of activities & interests you had before you felt bad. Try approaching them one by one with baby steps & see if you spark your interest again. It's gardening season... could you and your children plant some flowers or seeds in a pot? Or adopt a kitten? They bring endless joy.

I hope you feel better soon s

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 PM

Cutting is a behavioral coping mechanism for underlying trauma or psychiatric issues, and the right therapy and meds are definitely good treatments. Have you looked into dialectical behavioral therapy? It's the best known treatment for issues involving self-injury. It's another step upfron the type of out-patient clinic you're describing (or was that an in-patient thing? I wasn't clear, I'm sorry), where you generally have group or individual meetings a few times a week, plus medication management and phone support.

If you feel in crisis at the moment, especially if you don't have access to DBT, that program sounds like it might be helpful. You need and deserve something, and you are worth it.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 PM

Hi, I'm going to start reading the recent threads in a min but I just wanted to say hi, and ask a question...

I've known about being bipolar for 2 years now. I'm 30 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child, the first pregnancy with the diagnosis. I'm not doing too well at the moment. I was on Zoloft but weaned off recently for the 3rd trimester and will start up again after the baby is born.

I read that fish oil is good for moods and depression, I was wondering if someone knows how much to take during pregnancy? The bottle I had is 1200mg, with 720 mg of omega 3 in 2 gels.

I look forward to getting to know you all, I'm really happy to have found this forum. I keep finding more and more places in the MDC, it's great

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

Old 05-12-2009, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mrs. Turner- I dont really "get" Zoloft for bipolar. They initially put me on it, but only to diagnose my bipolar. My pdoc told me that in order to see if I was depressed or bipolar, he would put me on it - and if I stayed up all night and couldnt sleep, then we knew it was bipolar.

And that is why "they" say St. Johns Wort is dangerous for bipolar as well. It can create a manic state.

But if you were on zoloft, I suppose you could read up on St Johns Wort and see how it feels to you.

Congrats on the home stretch with your little one!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
My pdoc told me that in order to see if I was depressed or bipolar, he would put me on it - and if I stayed up all night and couldnt sleep, then we knew it was bipolar.

Nice.

Yeah, SSRI's and Bipolar disorder are a pretty deadly combination.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
Nice.
I know, huh. :

With an infant and a 3 yr old at home to care for.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:19 PM

Hi! New to this thread. My story: I had a miscarriage in November. I had gone off Paxil during my pregnancy. We ended up in marriage counseling after the miscarriage and the counselor convinced me to get back on (for me to take Paxil was to acknowledge my baby was dead). When I got back on, I went into a severe manic state. I was self-medicating with alcohol to calm down at night and still had severe depressive episodes intermittantly. By the time my solo appointment came up it was clear I needed help. I went to the psych recommended and he took me off Paxil and onto Abilify then Lamictal. I nearly had a breakdown during that time and honestly thought I was going to end up in the hospital. I quit going to him and just got back on the Paxil. The problem is now, I am in a severe depressive state and it is not helping at all.

I have a job and three kids and a husband that I have to take care of and I am barely taking care of myself. I don't totally trust my husband to know my mental state and so I fake it when he is around- he can see I am not ok though. I just don't know what to do and would welcome any suggestions.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralou View Post
Hi! New to this thread. My story: I had a miscarriage in November. I had gone off Paxil during my pregnancy. We ended up in marriage counseling after the miscarriage and the counselor convinced me to get back on (for me to take Paxil was to acknowledge my baby was dead). When I got back on, I went into a severe manic state. I was self-medicating with alcohol to calm down at night and still had severe depressive episodes intermittantly. By the time my solo appointment came up it was clear I needed help. I went to the psych recommended and he took me off Paxil and onto Abilify then Lamictal. I nearly had a breakdown during that time and honestly thought I was going to end up in the hospital. I quit going to him and just got back on the Paxil. The problem is now, I am in a severe depressive state and it is not helping at all.

I have a job and three kids and a husband that I have to take care of and I am barely taking care of myself. I don't totally trust my husband to know my mental state and so I fake it when he is around- he can see I am not ok though. I just don't know what to do and would welcome any suggestions.
I also could not take Lamictal or Abilify. But to have you on Paxil alone, after it made you manic the first time.....doesn't make much sense. Either get a new psych or tell this one that you want a mood stabilizer.

Seroquel was the only one to work for me. That combined with Celexa. Maybe you could stay on the Paxil but just add the mood stabilizer...

It can be a real guessing game so don't give up until you feel better. And don't hide it from your DH.
Does he know that you are bipolar? He needs to get educated, for his own sake as well as yours.

You can do this!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Turner View Post
I read that fish oil is good for moods and depression, I was wondering if someone knows how much to take during pregnancy? The bottle I had is 1200mg, with 720 mg of omega 3 in 2 gels.
The studies that have shown fish oil to be effective at treating mood disorders usually were for 2g (2000mg) of EPA or DHA (the specific omega 3s that affect mood) per day. So with yours, in order to get 2g of combined EPA/DHA, you'd want to take five or six gels per day (1800 or 2160 mg/2.5-3 "servings"). As long as it's a good fish oil from a reputable manufacturer, and is molecularly distilled, there won't be any problems for the pregnancy from mercury or anything from taking that much, and the DHA will be good for baby's brain development (now and while breastfeeding).

I take a more concentrated fish oil, and need to take four capsules a day (plus I take some cod liver oil for vitamin A&D). When I was switching from Depakote to fish oil as my only mood stabilizer, I was up to 6 or 8 capsules (6000-8000mg) every day. But, it's amazingly effective for me, more so than Depakote was (which did work fairly well), and without any of the side effects.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
It can be a real guessing game so don't give up until you feel better. And don't hide it from your DH.
Does he know that you are bipolar? He needs to get educated, for his own sake as well as yours.

You can do this!
Thanks for the recommendations. I am trying to get an appointment with a different psych, but I am terrified to play the guessing game again. It immobilized me and caused me so many problems at work and home. I would like to try a mood stabilizer without stopping the Paxil, because I am terrified of Paxil withdrawal. I will suggest the ones you mentioned.

I can't tell my husband. He isn't tolerant at all of my issues. He grew up in a very unstable situation and needs everything to be perfect all the time, including me. I feel really trapped by him not realizing how bad off I am, but I am much too scared of his reactions to tell him. My old psych told me I might need to leave him.

I am just trying to get through this Thursday, then I get a week off work so maybe I can get some help then.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Have you tried Zyprexa Zydis?
I haven't heard of it, but I will ask my pdoc about it. I go back in a week or so. I can call for emergency meds if I think I need them.

Quote:
Are you on any other meds? Are you sleeping? Hospitalization should be the last resort of all last resorts. All they can do there is provide you with room & board while you get your meds sorted out.
I take 225 mg of Effexor. I was taking Invega, but I stopped b/c of the side effects. My pdoc isn't really big on the Effexor by itself, so I may end up going on something else as well. I'm having flashbacks and hallucinations right now - more the result of PTSD than BP at this point. I'm actually sleeping better than I have in a while.

Quote:
Cutting is a behavioral issue, not a psychiatric one. Hospitalization or meds can't help you with that, only you can. Therapy sounds like a great idea for you. Stop cutting immediately. When you want to cut, look at your children. You don't want to cut, I know it. Don't cut anymore.
Yes, I go to therapy...feels like I've been there my whole life. We talked about the cutting yesterday. He said that while he doesn't encourage self-injury, he thinks there are other bigger concerns for me right now. On top of (maybe as a result, I don't know) the BP, I had an abusive childhood. I'm really just going to have to dig in and deal with those things now, but I know it's going to be painful. DH went with me to therapy yesterday, and he really broke down. It breaks my heart to see him like that. I know he's tried so hard to understand this and help me, but he just feels it's beyond his ability to help anymore.

Quote:
Do you ever do things for yourself? Since you're already considering spending the money to be hospitalized, consider getting a massage or taking a yoga class. They'll be much better for your body mind & spirit.
My mom is paying for me to get a manicure and pedicure for my birthday, so I'll probably do that tomorrow. I probably should go back to yoga - just haven't had the energy. My therapist really thinks I need to go to this stabilization inpatient place, but we agreed yesterday to give it 2 weeks and then reassess.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
And that is why "they" say St. Johns Wort is dangerous for bipolar as well. It can create a manic state.
I tried St. John's about 8 years ago and ended up in a manic I couldn't control. I thought it was just my experience, but maybe not. Of course that was the first time I'd done any experimenting with any natural/herbal remedies, so I may have overdosed myself.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
crap...
i just took this and scored 62. 54 and up is severely manic...

ive been off my medication until my medical doctor can figure out why my period is missing. they dont want me taking my meds when there is even a tiny risk of me being pregnant.

this sucks.
My current meds make me have a period only every 3 months or so, which apparently is a fairly common side effect. I take a pg test every week, which seems like excess, but the other choice is no meds. Luckily, DH is scheduled for a vasectomy Friday, so we won't be so worried there. Maybe you could try something similar.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralou View Post
I can't tell my husband. He isn't tolerant at all of my issues. He grew up in a very unstable situation and needs everything to be perfect all the time, including me. I feel really trapped by him not realizing how bad off I am, but I am much too scared of his reactions to tell him. My old psych told me I might need to leave him.

I'm so sorry Having a supportive partner really is a blessing. Just know you have the power inside you. Get stable by whatever means and try to get into some therapy. If he's totally off board with that, get stable and then deal with your husband. You'll know, then, that whatever decision you make is the best for your and your family, and you'll be much better able to help your kids through it.

It's totally unethical for a psychiatrist to give you advice like that!!! : Not even therapists should give advice. I'm so glad you're finding someone new. I think wellness is a combination of the desire to get well & a great care provider. I'd say sleep, but I think that coincides with a great care provider You'll know 100% when you reach the right one.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post

Yes, I go to therapy...feels like I've been there my whole life. We talked about the cutting yesterday. He said that while he doesn't encourage self-injury, he thinks there are other bigger concerns for me right now. On top of (maybe as a result, I don't know) the BP, I had an abusive childhood. I'm really just going to have to dig in and deal with those things now, but I know it's going to be painful. DH went with me to therapy yesterday, and he really broke down. It breaks my heart to see him like that. I know he's tried so hard to understand this and help me, but he just feels it's beyond his ability to help anymore.

My mom is paying for me to get a manicure and pedicure for my birthday, so I'll probably do that tomorrow. I probably should go back to yoga - just haven't had the energy. My therapist really thinks I need to go to this stabilization inpatient place, but we agreed yesterday to give it 2 weeks and then reassess.

I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I feel you on all counts. I feel awkward writing that because I know sometimes it totally sucks to feel like crap & hear someone else say "Oh I feel you!" I really hope this doesn't translate as someone talking about themselves just to talk and especially not a "know it all" account of life - I just wanted to share some things that might interest you. You can always say STFU, that's ok too

When I was first starting to dig out the muck of my childhood, often I would just cry. Talk therapy helped me a lot... just saying it over & over & being able to really feel it was profound.

(Unfortunately? I really don't know!) I went through most of this before I "realized" my diagnosis was real (that's another novel). I did my talk "therapy" with my boyfriend (now my husband) friends & family.. anyone who would listen. I must have seemed like a lunatic I guess I was one!

I was young at the time, didn't have insurance & honestly it never occured to me that I could hire a therapist. When I was younger & in the county mental health system/institution I was appointed countless therapists, social workers and psychiatrists.

I was finally able to reach full circle (it took me several years, but I'm sure that varies) & no longer "hate" my abuser or hold resentment/blame. I wish you the same relief. It really makes a huge difference in my ability to love & cut my paranoia and trust issues (which now I can manage with self talk and prayer)

ETA sex is way better too. I still occasionally get an addrenaline rush when the lights go out, but I can catch them way before they're full blown panic attacks

I hope I didn't sound demeaning with my order to stop cutting. Please please stop. I was a cutter during my adolescant years & am covered by scars that I wish weren't there. Internal scars can heal, but external scars last forever. I use them as a reminder that I have control over my actions - and my actions last forever. Still, I wish I could shake someones hand without self conciousness. I wish I could wear a v-neck or a bikini without looking like frankenstien. Scars from self harm are a badge of Crazy, you know? We are not "crazy" - we shouldn't brand ourselves like that.

I hope you will stop. Just stop! If you really need to cut something, cut up a pillow or something! Go bat crazy on your bed! Anything but cutting yourself, ok? Honestly, I have my own vices (I think everyone does), but cutting is definitely not the way to go. Cutting feeds into the "crazy" mind set. At least pick a way to self harm that's socially acceptable... har har

Go get that mani/pedi lady! You really deserve to be happy and enjoy the sweet life

Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 PM

Old 05-20-2009, 06:51 PM

Of course it's fine to join!

I know the feeling about not knowing what is normal and what isn't. I realized after several years of therapy, and starting to at least get a glimpse of sanity if not actually having gotten to stable yet, that I had no real idea what normal was like at all. Sometimes I think I'm still not sure.

So part of what I did was let go of "normal" as an ideal at all. Rather, I only focus on and care about how stable and content I feel, and forget about whether it matches with someone else's idea of "normal". And it sounds to me like you're not at a place where you feel stable and content, so it's good that you're looking for help and support.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 PM

Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 AM

heres where i am currently...
i dont think i want to go back to my old meds. they made me gain alot of weight, which triggered my eating disorders to the forefront and i had an elevated fasting blood sugar result and have to go back in for testing to make sure im not pre diabetic. and i see that seroquel has been linked to diabetes. so im soooooooo not taking that anymore!
ive been off the meds for a few months now and my fiance says im doing pretty good. ive been sleeping alot better these past few weeks.
if i do get back on medication i want something i can take without having to avoid pregnancy and that is safe for breastfeeding. i dont want to have to mess with it all if and when i decide to have more children.

and im down to a 30 on that quiz "mild to moderate mania"

Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 PM

Weight gain is awful. All of them make me gain weight too & I also struggled with eating disorders (anorexia followed up by bulimia) It's one of the #1 reasons people go off their meds.

For me going without meds is not an option, not only for me but for my family. I must function at 100%.

I asked my pychiatrist to prescribed me Metformin & it works beautifully.

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/a...cine-study.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ant...ations/AN01685

Have you tried Lamictal?

Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Could my "whole food green multi vitamen plus a bunch of other stuff" OR my vit. D be making me manic?

Just curious.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 PM

I do think that vitamin D might boost serotonin levels which could cause mania I suppose.

Quote:
whole food green multi vitamen plus a bunch of other stuff
Can you be more specific?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:44 PM

I'd guess no... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D (yeah, wikipedia, I know) It doesn't look like it effects Seratonin at all.

I take 1000IU & don't experience mania, but I also take Lamictal & Seroquel to prevent it.

Bipolar disorder unmanaged pharmaceutically will make you manic.

User Tag List