for anyone with mental health disease - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have severe OCD. It's bad and it takes up hours and hours of my day doing stupid rituals. My life has been forever altered as of a month ago when two major trigger events happened my m/c and an issue with my sister. It set me spiralling downward and hasn't stopped. I'm going to a psychiatrist, psychologist, naturopath, and taking Klonopin and 5-HTP. I'm trying to get better...I need to get better for so many reasons. The problem is...NO ONE seems to understand that THIS IS A DISEASE AND I CAN'T JUST GET OVER IT!!! This applies especially to my DH. He's starting to take it out on me by ignoring me, leaving at night, rarely showing compassion anymore. He cries a lot and I know he wants me to get better, but I can't wave that magic wand...I just can't. OCD is a tough thing to cure and I need time.

Is there anyone else that suffers from mental disease and family and friends just don't understand. What do you do??? Any advice mamas...

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#2 of 3 Old 11-15-2008, 02:12 AM

I just wanted to offer and let you know that it does get better. I personally do not have OCD but I have watched my mom go through multiple diagnoses and she has gotten better over time. I know it can be hard when it seems like the people around you do not accept that you have a real medical problem and not just "something in your head".
There are books for family members of people suffering from mental disorders. I own "What to do when someone you love is depressed" and I am sure there are ones specifically related to OCD. Check out Amazon for ideas.

I hope you get through this soon and start to see some improvement.
#3 of 3 Old 11-17-2008, 01:14 PM

There are a lot of support groups online.
Mental illness runs in my family and from what I have experienced, both in my own family and observed in others, the lack of understanding is very common. The "Just Snap Out of it Syndrome". It can be a long road to educating family members and maybe it is too much to do on your own since you are also dealing with trying to get better. Maybe ask DH if he would be willing to get some support for himself. Show him that there are other people feeling just like he is. If he accepts that, hopefully the understanding of what is really going on will happen as well, since he would be reading and/or interacting with people who are in similar situations.

Here are some resources I found:
http://www.ocdonline.com/services.php#family
http://www.geonius.com/ocd/organizations.html
http://www.ocfoundation.org/quick_search_groups.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page