Baby's nipple's bleeding; the baby's not mine. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried to search old posts but everything comes up pertaining to mommy's bleeding nipples. My DS is 6&1/2 MO. Over the last the few days we've noticed a drop of blood on his undershirt/onesie by the end of the day. It is definitely coming from his right nipple. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, in that he's not grabbing is or anything obvious, but it sure bothers me. Anyone have any ideas? The general internet search seems to point to cancer and mastitis.: I emailed our PED tonight and he'll get back to us tomorrow I'm sure but I'd like to hear what this community has to say.
No recent trauma and the nipple does not seem swollen.
Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 01:01 AM

Does the actual nipple seem irritated at all? Maybe not swollen, but red? what material is the clothing he's wearing made out of?

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
Old 11-18-2008, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thatx for the post
yeah, we checked the tissue and it looks perfectly normal. That's what the DOC said too-must be trauma. But we found this article that there are only 7 published cases of infant nipple bleeding and they've always turned out benign so we're trying not to worry.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:07 PM

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 03-23-2009, 12:01 AM

Did you every get the issue resolved. My 9 week old has the same symptoms - bloody nipple discharge and I'm not seeing much online. Sorta scary. I'm going to call my pediatrician tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

It just sorta went away. Lasted a few weeks I think. Had a half dozen "onesies" with tiny little blood stains. Then it just stopped. I chalked it up to hormones. Hope the same outcome for you too. NO news is good news.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 PM

Dear coolmamaof3 and NokomisThree,
Unfortunately, I am also having the same problem. My son is 20 months old and recently we realized that blood drops are coming just as you have written. From his right nipple. Have you got any news about the issue since then? How is your son? I hope you are all very good in health wise. Currentlly we are all very scared. I hope it ends soon as in your case...
Old 02-25-2010, 05:40 PM

Does sound like a hormonal thing, but also a good reason to call the pediatrician just to be sure.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 02-26-2010, 11:54 AM

Thnks for your reply, I live in UK and here NHS is very slow. and I donno why it took us 2 months now to aarnage a ultrasound scan, still waiting fo rthe appointment letter though Dr told me that it is not hormonal since no breast is come out or any hair on the body. Lets see hopefully it is not smthg serious.. But why i sthi sahppening to him and other kids I don't understand maybe dieting .. he eats half of the avacado everyday with lemon since his 6th month:S I will let you know th escan result.. pray for us.. bye
Old 02-28-2010, 03:35 AM

My 7mo baby has the same problem. i first spotted a speck of blood on her undershirt 2 weeks ago and it is definetly coming from her right nipple. i am so worried and pray its nothing serious One doctor thinks its thelarche but when i did some reading on it, there was no mentioning of nipple bloody discharge. thelarche just means "budding breast". my baby does have a little extra breast tissue and thats common. when i googled infantile nipple bleeding most of my searches led to ductual estastia. Well, I took my baby to another doctor and she ordered an ultrasound which I will take my baby in this Monday.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:37 AM

I don't have any solutions or the same problem, but did want to mention that I distinctly remember this topic coming up before. So it's can't be THAT uncommon right? Weird, but I think it's just under-reported and under-observed by most care-givers, hence the lack of information.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 AM

Dear Mstwinn,

Good luck to you, I hope it is nothing serious. These crazy dr gave us a date at the end of this month I am still worried. Please share the result with us.

By the way I agree with kdtmom2be, it is really weird how less information is around although it is not that rare apparently... Looking forward to your good news..
Old 07-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Hi All,

I'm yet another person seeing this same exact thing. My daughter will be 2 in Oct and last week tiny drops of blood became noticeable on her pj's. Same spot, right nipple. Her Dr. put her on antibiotics and they are treating it like mastitis. Follow-up in 1 week to see if it made a difference. She has a tiny little lump behind the nipple and when pressure is applied to that more blood comes out. It is rather dark, as though it is from something old as opposed to new blood. Did any of your ultrasounds come back? Any info appreciated and best of luck to all!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 PM

Hi there.  I just wanted to share our story, hopefully it will help you find a little relief.  My daughter was born in 1995.  She is now 5yrs old.  At 5 months of age, she had the same issue.  She was bleeding from the right nipple.  It was very definately bleeding and not a scratch.  There was no swelling, redness, or apparent soreness or tenderness.  I took her to the pediatrition where he confirmed that the blood did appear to be coming from her nipple.  At first the ped was extremely concerned and set her up with an appointment at a nearby children's hospital.  Then, after speaking with another physician from that hospital came up with another documented case of an infant bleeding from the nipple.  He said the physician told him that it was probably simply a tear in the tissue of the milk duct in that breast.  My pediatrician ran a blood test to be sure that her hormone levels were within normal range, which they were, and we left it at that.  I think about it now and then and try not to worry too much about it.  She is physically and developmentally normal and a very active, intellegent child.  The bleeding stopped after about 2 weeks and nothing has ever come of the issue since.  I hope that helps. 

Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 AM

If your child was born in 1995, how could she be 5 years old? To my reckoning, she would be 15 or 16 years old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy11 View Post

Hi there.  I just wanted to share our story, hopefully it will help you find a little relief.  My daughter was born in 1995.  She is now 5yrs old.  At 5 months of age, she had the same issue.  She was bleeding from the right nipple.  It was very definately bleeding and not a scratch.  There was no swelling, redness, or apparent soreness or tenderness.  I took her to the pediatrition where he confirmed that the blood did appear to be coming from her nipple.  At first the ped was extremely concerned and set her up with an appointment at a nearby children's hospital.  Then, after speaking with another physician from that hospital came up with another documented case of an infant bleeding from the nipple.  He said the physician told him that it was probably simply a tear in the tissue of the milk duct in that breast.  My pediatrician ran a blood test to be sure that her hormone levels were within normal range, which they were, and we left it at that.  I think about it now and then and try not to worry too much about it.  She is physically and developmentally normal and a very active, intellegent child.  The bleeding stopped after about 2 weeks and nothing has ever come of the issue since.  I hope that helps. 

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 AM

2005. my son is 1998.  sorry 

User Tag List