Lotrimin/Monistat, how often for yeast rash? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
PPK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After reading and looking at pics, I'm realizing that DS has been dealing with a stubborn yeast rash for a couple of weeks now.

I'm going to try the GSE, but I'm thinking he might just need the Lotrimin or Monistat I've seen moms recommend for yeast rash.

My question is:

How often do you apply Monistat or Lotrimin per day? How many days? Is one better than the other, or are they the same thing?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 01:40 PM

Personally, before trying those, I'd do some more natural things first. A yeast rash signals a flora imbalance in his gut: get him some baby probiotics and give them to him as well as sprinkling some on the rash. You can also apply plain yogurt (Stonyfield Farms has the most live cultures) directly on the rash, and add some apple cider vinegar to his bathwater.

I've had luck too with a few drops tea tree oil (a strong antifungal) added to some olive oil and applied to the rash (test it on yourself first--it can sting if it's too strong).

These things work really well, btw.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 11-20-2008, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
PPK

Thanks, I read through a bunch of old posts and alot of mamas also liked Grapefruit Seed Extract diluted and applied to the rash (I personally love GSE for most problems I encounter). I also use Primal Defense and am looking up how much to give to DS internally (I'll crush up a tablet).

Will add some ACV to his bath tonight. I'm pretty anti-meds in general, but will give the rash only a few days to resond to natural treatments...he's definately uncomfortable.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:31 PM

I use the miracle salve plus from kerrysherbals...you can google the website. That stuff works miracles...and keeps the yeasties away. We got yeast from cloth diapers...i also stripped the diapers along with using the salve and it cleared real fast.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 PM

f.y.i
yogurt works! so does tea tree oil. used them both and had success everytime
*jo

User Tag List