should I have her evaluated by ECI? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No doubt some of you will think I'm wacky for being concerned, but I am nonetheless. Saying some babes are just not cuddly is really not what I'm looking for here.

My DD loved to be held, nursed great, etc until she was around a month old. Now, she acts totally stressed out if you hold her in any position and will calm down if she's put down. The other thing I noticed is she doesn't like to be touched, tickled, etc. She does like her head rubbed, but that seems to be all. Her eye contact is awesome unless I'm holding her, then she won't look at me at all.

She gags all the time. She's also very fickle about nursing and will pop off and on and fuss constantly (not OALD, low supply or reflux, etc causing it). She's not really gaining weight well anymore. My LC said I may want to have her evaluated for oral sensory.

I'm wondering if this may be a sensory issue? If so, I'd sure like to get working on it asap. I'm very sensory, as is my son and it doesn't serve us well.

She's almost 10 weeks.

What do you mamas think?

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 11:22 PM

I think I would take her to early intervention. First, it can't hurt. Second, you're the mama and you're concerned, plus and you have a family history of sensory problems and it sounds like there's a place for concern with DD. I'd take her to see what they say, as I personally feel only good things can come from early intervention. They'll either ease your worries or get you help, ya know?

Kate (30), mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob Douglas (10/8/10)
Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 PM

If you think something isn't right, you should definitely get it checked out.

FWIW, I had a friend whose son started behaving in some of the ways you are discribing, only he was about 4 months old. Turns out, he has a severe allergy to wheat, and everytime she ate anything with wheat, he would have a reaction that seemed to include extremely sensitive skin.

User Tag List