Baby fighting sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6 week old baby is fighting sleep. Then she gets so tired that she is overwhelmed and can't sleep it seems. All day today she has cried, cried, cried. I know it's because she's tired. She will fall asleep and wake up 10 minutes later. I have tried:

1) Wellement's Gripe Water
2) Hyland's Colic Tablets
3) Rescue Remedy
4) holding her
5) not holding her
6) going to the grocery store (usually she'll sleep in the car and the store)
7) swaddling her (and not)

Nothing has worked. She's dry, fed, doesn't have much gas like she did earlier in the week. She seems comfortable and not in pain because she will calm down (but then start up again).

Any other suggestions?
#2 of 13 Old 11-22-2008, 09:28 PM

DD has always fought sleep. Those first few weeks are sooo hard!

For us, the 5 Ss did make some difference:
Swaddle
Shhhh (white noise)
Sidelaying
Swing (any motion, even you breathing is enough, or the sling or whatever)
Suck (I hated it, but she had a much stringer need to suck than I had the ability to tolerate. PLUS, she got totally even more POed when she just wanted to suck and got milk)

HANG IN THERE!
#3 of 13 Old 11-22-2008, 09:52 PM

Oh gosh yes, my baby did that too. It's so hard the first 6 weeks, but by 3 months you usually get into a nice rhythm. I started laying down and nursing her and that helped a lot.
I agree about the 5 S's. Those can really help sometimes.
Gl!

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#4 of 13 Old 11-23-2008, 01:01 AM

A sleepy wrap saved me. It's a stretchy wrap (there are multiple brands) that let me swaddle DD on my chest. It allowed me to do housework, etc while holding her close and providing soothing motion. She is known as a professional sleep fighter, but this did the trick. I could either leave her there for the duration of a nap, or *try* to transfer her to bed. (You might try babywearer.com for an inexpensive used stretch wrap) You sound very calm about this! Good luck.
#5 of 13 Old 11-23-2008, 04:37 PM

My DD did the same thing and we found a pacifier did the trick. She has a strong sucking need and giving her the breast all the time was not an option because like the pp said she would get upset when she got milk and just wanted to suck....or she would take the milk and end up spitting up and getting upset. Now we give her a paci and she usually falls asleep within 5 minutes, its great!

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#6 of 13 Old 11-23-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. We have definitely been trying the 5 S's. She just keeps her eyes wide open. Sometimes she screams. Like today she has been really cranky and will scream at the drop of a hat, but then calm down. She has a paci and that sometimes works, but a lot of the time she spits it out. I know she's tired, but she is still fighting sleep. I have a sling, but she screams when I try to put her in there. If she does go to sleep, it's pretty briefly. This poor baby. She is so tired. Her eyes are weepy. Her grandma is walking around with her now and she's finally not crying and has her eyes closed. We'll see how long this lasts.
#7 of 13 Old 11-23-2008, 11:41 PM

I've totally been there! When my son was this age a few weeks ago, I came on here posting about how I had to try hard every night to get him to go to sleep from like 8pm until 1 in the morning. He just wouldn't sleep. It was a rough few weeks.

But if it makes you feel any better, after he got to about 3 months, he started sleeping better. He still fights sleep, but sleep wins the fight most of the time.

Just hang in there! I'm glad you have people there to help you. It does get better.
#8 of 13 Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 AM

Try a stretchy wrap, even though she doesn't like the sling. You can position her upright in there, which she might prefer - some babies hate being cradled even as newborns. And walk around and pat her when you put her in.
#9 of 13 Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 AM

Keep trying to wear the baby. My LO didn't like the sling until about the 3rd time I tried it.

Keep trying everything and everything until something works! Something will work. And then it will stop working and you'll find something else. Haha!

No, it gets better.

Until they get teeth!

But then it probably gets better after that, I don't know, we're still working on teeth.

Hang in there!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#10 of 13 Old 11-24-2008, 02:39 AM

Hang in there and keep doing what you are doing. My little girl wouldn't sleep, or would only in arms and very lightly and would fight it forever. At 6-8 weeks it was terrible. Each week after got better. She started to get lots better about 10 weeks and even more so at 12-14 weeks.
#11 of 13 Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 AM

Do you lay her flat on her back? That's really uncomfortable for most babies, aggravates gas/reflux, and can make the startle reflex worse. Try tummy sleeping.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#12 of 13 Old 11-26-2008, 04:31 AM

:

I need help too with DD who is 9 weeks.

Thanks.
#13 of 13 Old 11-26-2008, 04:39 PM

I am going through the same thing.

My doctor recommended drinking lots of Camomile Tea, and having it go through the breast milk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page