Games/Play Time with a 3 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-30-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for more ideas on games to play with my DS. I'm getting a bit bored of doing the same over and over. This is what we do now, all of which he loves:

1) dance around the house to music
2) read books (though he gets antsy after about 7 minutes)
3) tummy time
4) playing on his activity mat
5) looking at his reflection in the mirror
6) looking at our silly faces and "talking" back
7) walks around the neighborhood
8) bicycle kicks
9) trying to stand up
10) singing songs

He's not into toys yet, not even into grabbing things. Is there anything else we could be doing that I haven't thought of?

Squishy Press: sustainably-made baby/toddler books. We create healthy books for hungry minds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 12-01-2008, 04:34 AM

Hmm...we had fun doing the things you mention, playing with a ukulele, and doing those horsey and "airplane" kind of games, where he lays up on your legs and you swoop him back and forth.

Carey
Mama to Charlie (4/08) and Toby (2/10)
#3 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Anyone else? DH and I are just getting bored, and since we live in a cold climate, taking DS outside is becoming less frequent. So I'm a bit stir crazy in my four walls!

Squishy Press: sustainably-made baby/toddler books. We create healthy books for hungry minds.
#4 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 04:08 AM

My baby who is about the same age LUVS it when I read out loud to him. As long as I do it in a sing song voice, he loves whatever I read. I'm in school so he's learning a lot about anthropology and U.S. history .

Otherwise we spend a lot of time making faces at each other. That is really fun.
#5 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 11:14 AM

We have "discovery time," where I take her around the house discovering "new things."

Lol, I have a crazy imagination. I pretend we're in outer space and everything is brand new. Like WHOA look at that plant, and then I describe the plant to her, and ask her to make notes. She's my assistant.

I feel kind of nutty admitting this. She loves it, she gets to touch lots of things and hear my voice and travel around so she's happy. A lot of it is just me trying to entertain myself, though.

She also likes to look out the window and I make up stories about the animals that we see. Not so many animals now in the cold weather, unfortunately.

Another thing I do is make games out of household chores, like doing a dance mopping the floor. That entertains her pretty good.

HTH

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#6 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 PM

I tell Lina stories about our day "Once upon a time, in an apartment in a large city, there lived a little girl named Lina. One day..."

She also likes watching me knit for nearly as long as she'll listen to a book being read.

And she'll let me sit silently with her for a few minutes when I'm reading a book if she can look at the pages.

Aside from that, dh and I are both students and generally have some schoolwork to do which helps us not be bored. Lina has mixed feelings about that so we'll end up trading her off most evenings with one person doing baby-things and then switching.

Because, in part, of school, we've let things go quite a bit housekeeping-wise so there's ALWAYS some chore to do. And Lina finds most housework interesting.

We go to an AP playgroup once a month and try to get to an LLL meeting as well.
#7 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 04:43 PM

When it's your first baby and you're a SAHM it's easy to worry if you are doing enough with your baby, etc. because you are one-on-one so much. But when you have more kids and life just gets busier, it doesn't matter so much anymore. I think babywearing allows the mom to get busy with other tasks and the baby just watches and learns about life through exposure. Nature provided the means for a baby's mind to develop without doing extraordinary things or buying expensive toys! They just need to be exposed to the world, have eye contact, talk to them, make them laugh, etc. I am a busy mom but I try to do this with her every day. And lately I have bee thinking I need to offer things for her to hold, but that is all I do. (But with my first, I definitely was busy with all sorts of "activities" like you say)
#8 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 PM

Oh, 1 other thing, you can turn on some music! Especially simply songs that only have 1 note at a time. (hmm like mom singing! Yes, nature provided the way)
#9 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 05:06 PM

narrate your day, what you're doing, what you're seeing, describe things, colors, how things smell, feel, taste. etc. point at things. lots of hugging, cuddling, kissing, holding, rocking.

baby massage.

prop baby up with pillows so your baby can see your face while you sing, talk, etc.
#10 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 06:34 PM

A sure bust-out-laughing maneuver for my 3 mo old is to take his bare foot and "brush his teeth" with it. He cracks up. (I caught my mom doing it to him on the changing table, and now I do it every time I change him)...
#11 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 12:13 AM

My DD is 3 months too and we do a lot of what you do. I'm starting to think I need to get out some toys...a rattle, a sofie...just little basics. I have her swing in the kitchen and if I animatedly read to her (voices, expressions, hands and motions) I can do little kitchen tasks in between books.
#12 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 02:26 AM

'Itsy Bitsy Baby Yoga' was a lot of fun for me & my LO when she was that age. It's not really yoga in the sense that we're used to - just another way to interact with your baby using touch and songs and movement.
#13 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 03:26 PM

Yesterday I took out the dictionary and read it to her. I let her pick a page and I made a silly song about the words on the page.

It was a lot of fun!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#14 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! This is my first kid, and I don't have much baby/toddler experience, so I didn't know if there was something else I was missing, or supposed to be doing.

#15 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM

When my daughter was about 3 months, I read something that became my sort-of-mantra. Your baby has virtually no memory of what happened yesterday, this morning or even an hour ago - each time you play the same game or look in the mirror or whatever, it's new and exciting for your baby. You may be bored, but your baby is still having fun.

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page