Swaddling, When to Stop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is 4.5 months old. She used to sleep quite well waking up only twice at night for a few weeks until she hit the 2.5 months and she started waking up every 2 hours. She now wakes every hour.

I have tried gripe water, putting her down with a mobile, no lights, night light, swaddling, warmer room, different pajamas (materials) etc. with no success.

The interesting thing is that I started swaddling her at 2.5 months so she would nap for more than 10 minutes and she did but started waking at nights... I have read that most babies are done with swaddling around 3-4 months which makes sense since they can start sucking their fingers, etc and have also tried that but her hands go all over her face and the more she sucks her fingers the more she screams for my breast...

Any suggestions?

Gigi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 AM

Sorry you're experiencing this. My little one slept through the night (except for when I woke her to eat at 4am) until she was three months-old. I swaddled her for as long as she let me. For a while I was leaving one arm out- it helped with the frustration. But eventually she just didn't like it. Developmentally babies go through periods where they are "working" on things and don't sleep as well I suspect yours is going through such a stage and just trust that it'll get better eventually! FYI and fwiw, my daughter went through a must-sleep-with-breast-in-mouth stage that lasted a couple of months (!) But now at 6.5 months I can roll over after a while....

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#3 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 01:58 AM

I've known babies who enjoyed swaddling until they were 10 months old. It seems to be very individual.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#4 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 02:06 AM

We swaddled both our girls WAY past 4 months. DD1 was fully swaddled until about 12 months when we started leaving one arm out, then the other, and eventually stopped wrapping her all together around 18 months. DD2 only wanted to be swaddled until a little over a year. With both we just followed their lead & used our common sense.

A huge part of why we swaddled both of them so long was their tendancy to whack themselves in the face thrashing around in their sleep. Neither kept their arms on all night once they got older & gained enough coordination to get their arms out. By the time they got old enough to let us know they were done with swaddling they had outgrown the thrashing around thing.

You know your child & their needs the best. If you feel your baby is in a stage right now where swaddling is benefical I say go for it! Babies will definitly let you know when they *don't* want to be swaddled.
#5 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 02:08 AM

Swaddle her as long as she wants to be swaddled. I've heard some babies like being swaddled up to a year.

I swaddled my daughter till about 6 months. However, we went thru what I now refer to as the "Swaddle me! No, don't swaddle me!" phase between 4 and 6 months. She wanted it and didn't want it all at the same time. It was pretty miserable. It got better when she rolled over on her tummy one night and that was that.

coolshine.gif

#6 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 AM

I've swaddled ds2 maybe 3 times since we've been home from the hospital. He gets WAY too hot and then neither of us can sleep.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#7 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 AM

DD is going on 8 months and I still swaddle her when i first put her down.
She usually likes it and if she protests then I scrap it for that night, or try later if we are having a tough time getting to sleep.

Actually I only started swaddling her ever at 5.5 months, when she was getting more active rolling over and such, she could not stop herself from moving and thus kept waking herself up and swaddling has helped so much!

: feminist mama to DD 04/08
#8 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 04:27 AM

My DS will be 12 months tomorrow (!) and I still swaddle him and put him on his tummy for naps. This is the only way he will nap since about 4 months.
He has always been a tummy sleeper, and since about 6 months (I can't remember when exactly) he just sleeps on his tummy without the swaddle at night. He just feels more secure that way.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page