sleep craziness...help!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

My DS is about 4.5 months and he has just started to really have some sleep issues. He has been an okay sleeper since birth, pretty good, in fact. He is EBF and still eats 2X a night (very small amounts). He used to go about 4 hour stretches, but lately he seems to really be fighting sleep. The magic nursing before bed and naps is harder--he seems way more agitated and not falling asleep easily.

Last night it was like he was up almost every hour and sometimes for a significant amount of time.

He is in our room with us and has been since birth (co-sleeper bassinet, now pack and play, sometimes swing without movement).

We have always planned to move him to his room at 5 months and to do a very check-in-centric "sleep plan."

What is going on here? Is it just time for him to be on his own? I'm scared of night time coming because it was so difficult last night. I'm so worried that he is not getting the sleep he needs at night.

Thx in advance.

R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 02:58 PM

My 4 month old is having some sleep issues too. I think it's on the 4 month growth spurt they go through. Just set some sort of sleep rountine each night and see if the babe takes to it. Maybe it's gas? When he woke up last night, was he wide awake or whiny? Maybe he's teething. I know that will keep a babe up and fighting.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, AKPi,

I don't think he is teething as we have checked and at the 4 mo appt, DR said he was not teething yet.

He is working thru a cold, but he has had a cold before and never had this much trouble sleeping at night...and this cold is not so bad in comparison to the last one...

his naps today have been pretty bad, too, and I think it's bc his sleep is messed up and last night he did not get good rest...

my DH and I are thinking of transitioning him to his room sooner than 5 months. We were going to do it around 12/20 and are thinking of starting next weekend if he is over his cold...

I'm so nervous about the sleep stuff....arghhhh
Old 12-05-2008, 10:07 PM

River...you're describing the typical 4 month sleep regression, where baby is working on some important developmental milostones. There's some great info on this page"
http://www.askmoxie.org/2006/02/qa_what_are_sle.html

My DD went through the same thing, and is just now going back to her usual sleep patterns. For almost a week, I was up every hour of the night nursing, and DD wouldn't sleep without having the boob in the mouth. It got frustrating that's for sure, but it was much easier to deal with when we properly sidecared her crib to our bed.

HTH!
Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, HalfAM--This post helps. I guess this is what he is going thru--the 4 mo sleep regression. I think we are still going to transition him to his room between next week and 5 months (12/23) as this has been our plan all along. I am a very light sleeper, so it's a little hard for me to have him in our room now that he is moving more and making more noise in his sleep. I'm hoping that being in his own room will be okay for him and that it will help him sleep better, too.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:00 PM

Sleep regression! Little bug is probably working on doing a new trick.

I can sympathize, my little guy just turned six months and has put me through the wringer lately. This one's for you (written at 3 am this morn)

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

User Tag List