Umbilical Hernias - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do docs do about them? I noticed DD had a teeny tiny one when her cord fell off and it has gotten bigger. She is now 7 weeks old and it is much bigger than it was at first.
#2 of 11 Old 12-09-2008, 02:22 PM

usually nothing. most go away by 2 yrs of age. some require surgery. ds had one that went away by 5months.
#3 of 11 Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 PM

My son had one that got bigger before it went away. The doc just kept an eye on it, but it didn't require anything more than that.

My neighbor's baby had a HUGE one. It went away without intervention.
#4 of 11 Old 12-09-2008, 03:42 PM

My DD2 had one and it's gone away for the most part, her belly button is more oblong than circular, but I don't know if I'm scrutinizing it too much (my bro says I overanalyze things sometimes). My niece had a very large one that they are now checking to see if it needs surgical repair, she just turned 2. They were told it may or may not close by age 2 and that they wouldn't do anything til she was past age 2.
#5 of 11 Old 12-09-2008, 05:26 PM

dd had a little one.
ds2 had an alarmingly large one.
Hers was gone by 9 months and his is almost gone at 10 months.
#6 of 11 Old 12-09-2008, 05:36 PM

my little sister and i both had one. they didnt go away, so we had them sugically repaired when i was 4 and she was 2. i dont remember anything about it, except the doctor drew an upside down smiley face on my bandage so when i looked down it was right side up

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#7 of 11 Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 PM

My 3 year old daughter has one. Her doctor suggested we have it surgically repaired when she was 2. He said since it hadn't spontaneously resolved by that point then chances were slim that it would. While that is true, it is possible that umbilical hernias can resolve without surgery as late as 5. I'm holding out hope for that. If its still there at 5, then we will most likely have it surgically repaired.

coolshine.gif

#8 of 11 Old 12-10-2008, 01:37 AM

make sure they keep checking it! my sister had this and they didnt check it at all between the ages of 2 and 9, and she had a very difficult surgery then.
#9 of 11 Old 12-10-2008, 09:41 AM

DD had one. It got big around 8 weeks and was gone by 3.5 months. We did nothing to it. Older women in my family kept telling us to tape it down and other such nonsense, but we ignored them and she now has the cutest belly button.

''''

#10 of 11 Old 12-10-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
DD had one. It got big around 8 weeks and was gone by 3.5 months. We did nothing to it. Older women in my family kept telling us to tape it down and other such nonsense, but we ignored them and she now has the cutest belly button.
Yea, i remember that. dd is a dancer/phys ed geek and has a gorgeous flat belly with a cute little pierced bellybutton.

ds's hernia was big enough that i made some attempt to cover it up when he was little to avoid all the taping comments and "i'm so sorry your baby isn't perfect" comments from idiots but it's pretty unnoticeable now. It's flush with his skin when he's lying or sitting down, but it was golf ball sized when he was a teeny tiny.

I don't remember when dd's healed over, just that I'd forgotten all about it by the time she was walking and didn't think about it again until I saw a picture of it when I was worried about ds's.
#11 of 11 Old 12-10-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Oh ok. Thanks! That makes me feel better. I had heard they can go away on their own but I didnt think hers would since it got bigger. My Mom, MIL, and DH are basically forcing me to take her to the doc over it. I tild them there's nothing that can be done as of right now but they are all worried b/c it got bigger.

Ugh. I still have to take ehr today to give them peace of mind. I really dont feel like sitting in the peds office forever (we dont have an appointment).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page