Class action lawsuit against Motherhood Maternity stores! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Wow, after hearing for years about the shady information-collection practices of Motherhood Maternity stores, I just got a note card in the mail saying that there's a class action settlement against the store. Unfortunately, what you get as a victim of their practices is a $25 store credit to their store (), but at least they're admitting they've done wrong and hopefully will discontinue their practices in the future.

Did anyone else get a card about this? The case it references is called Lewis v. Mothers Work, Inc.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like the case is in California state court, so it only applies to Cal. citizens.

I always gave them fake info when they asked. I hate that they ask for so much info.
#3 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elismum View Post
I always gave them fake info when they asked. I hate that they ask for so much info.
I do that for any store that asks, well big store[I have given my info to a little local botique].
Why do they need your phone number anyways?

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#4 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 07:49 AM

When I live or visit the states, I refuse to give them my number. They shouldn't need it. If they insist I walk away.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#5 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
When I live or visit the states, I refuse to give them my number. They shouldn't need it. If they insist I walk away.
: I do the same. They ask and my normal response is, "I don't share that information." If they push, depending on what they say, I either just say no again or ask if it's required in order to make a purchase. If they answer is yes, I'd walk away. (That's only happened once)

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#6 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 AM

I also just refuse to give any info. I've never had any place require it, though I have had to argue with cashiers a few times. I would leave a store before giving personal information that isn't necessary for the transaction.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#7 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM

:

They asked for my email, which I also don't like to give. I hesitated & she said, "Oh, they send you coupons!"

Well, I LOVE a good deal - and some businesses do send coupons via email, so I gave my hotmail account.

Months went by & I got advertisements via email at least weekly but not ONE coupon. (They announced sales via the emails, but that's totally different.) I sent an email about this in response & unsubscribed. It just ticks me off that the clerk lied about it.
#8 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
:

It just ticks me off that the clerk lied about it.
I suppose there is a small chance the clerk was told thats what happens and believed it I suppose... but still crummy of them to do...

They ask for my info and I said "what difference does it make- you have a no return policy- so its not like you need the info on file."

I only shopped there once- thankfully!

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#9 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 01:20 PM

the clerk at my local chain of motherhood tried to pressure me into signing up for a credit card that uses a rewards program to put $$ aside for your child's education. I declined saying i was happy with my current card's rewards and she told me "You're very selfish."
#10 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJen View Post
the clerk at my local chain of motherhood tried to pressure me into signing up for a credit card that uses a rewards program to put $$ aside for your child's education. I declined saying i was happy with my current card's rewards and she told me "You're very selfish."
Seriously?? How RUDE!!! How did you respond?

#11 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJen View Post
OMG. I cannot believe she said that to you! How does she know that you don't have millions saved up already for college for your LO? They pushed that stupid card on me every time I shopped there, and every time I told them no they bugged me to do it anyway. B/c "Everybody shops at Target, and Target matches the dollar amount" or something insane like that. And I always told them my number was unlisted. Man, I hated checking out at that store.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#12 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 06:36 PM

I got the card in the mail. Apparently, there have already been a few of these class action suits against them which they lost each time. This is yet another one. I hate Motherhood Maternity. Not only did they sign me up for Parenting magazine without asking and give them my credit card information once, when I actually shopped there, but they did it again a YEAR after I had even been there. Both times, Parenting graciously refunded my money. Anyway, I don't think they're ever going to change no matter how many class action suits are filed against them.
#13 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanni View Post
Anyway, I don't think they're ever going to change no matter how many class action suits are filed against them.
Oh, darn. I didn't realize that this had been fruitlessly attempted before.

#14 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 07:57 PM

I say make sure you use the gift card just so losing the lawsuit costs them some money. Even if you don't need anything get something and donate it somewhere.

Just make sure not to give them any info

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#15 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 PM

I'm tempted to go to the store now just to give them the number for the state's attorney office.
#16 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This really belongs in Activism, which is closed until Friday. I'm going to let you stay here, but then I'm moving you when it opens.

Great news, btw. The only way companies stop this stuff is when you hit them in their pocketbooks.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#17 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 PM

I bought their clothes at Macy's.

I can always return it and no one bothered me with their info gathering.
#18 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I shopped there once and, thanks to MDC, I knew to not give them any info.

I've been known to give out a phone number just slightly off from my real one.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#19 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post
They ask for my info and I said "what difference does it make- you have a no return policy- so its not like you need the info on file."
Then how was I able to return things there?
#20 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post
Then how was I able to return things there?
By trying to do it despite their claims of a no return policy and finding out that it was just to trick people into not making returns?

Not that personal info has anything to do with returns.
#21 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 PM

I got that card but was distracted by something else, so I didn't really look at it. I agree, they are so irritating! I couldn't believe that they gave my credit card info to Parenting Magazine!

I'll just add that in the bag of freebies they gave me was a bottle with no hole in the nipple! I realized that not too long ago, now I know why my LO didn't really take to the bottle! (We're not supposed to poke our own holes, are we?)

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#22 of 22 Old 12-31-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanni View Post
Apparently, there have already been a few of these class action suits against them which they lost each time. This is yet another one. I hate Motherhood Maternity.
Ya gotta admit, its a genius way of getting the dirt on the future uber-consumer. Moms are retailers #1 target.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page