Is it really as bad as they say for him to sleep on his belly? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2009, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
Does being FF correlate to a higher incident of SIDS? What makes you assume the child is FF? Is it because the mother is working? I'm just not sure how you can make that assumption.
She said "possibly" not "probably." It IS possible, right?

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
Does being FF correlate to a higher incident of SIDS? What makes you assume the child is FF? Is it because the mother is working? I'm just not sure how you can make that assumption.
FF has a higher rate of SIDS. Don't know if they were or not- not assuming anything, hence the "possibly" Statistically a fairly good possibility.

-Angela
Old 01-17-2009, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My children have slept on their tummies or sides since day one. That is how they sleep. EBF and cosleeping is what keeps tiny immature bodies ticking along IMHO.

I did find swaddling and putting them on their back useful for when I wanted them to take a daytime nap in the bassinet. But a daytime nap in a carrier or on another adult was my preference in terms of preventing SIDS.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:33 PM

Yes, I've heard that the anti-SIDS Back to Sleep campaign was originally envisioned as "Back to Sleep, Back to Breast," but "somehow" and for "some reason" the breast part was dropped.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Yes, I've heard that the anti-SIDS Back to Sleep campaign was originally envisioned as "Back to Sleep, Back to Breast," but "somehow" and for "some reason" the breast part was dropped.
How fascinating. I've never heard that... wonder if anyone can find any info on it.

-Angela
Old 01-17-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Wow. Just wow. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised.:
Would love more info on that.

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
Old 01-17-2009, 01:52 PM

I don't have any sources for it. I remember reading it several years ago, but I can't rememeber where. I was probably in a sleep deprived haze .
Old 01-17-2009, 02:29 PM

I took my newborn to a good chiropractor to make sure everything was in alignment before allowing him to sleep on his tummy so that if he needed to turn his head or neck, he could. Also didn't let him until he had a little more neck control, maybe about a month old. I think if you have a healthy baby and you cosleep or at least sleep in the same room close by, babies are safer in general anyway.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
Old 01-17-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
because of being able to have the arms above the head. (i.e. one arm higher than the other; with the opposite leg leg higher than the other.) I know that may not make sense but I'm sure if you found some info that was expanded it would make sense.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sapphir...rig=3042285792
And she regularly gets both arms up there. And her legs.

So if you do have an expanded version that'd be great.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Well, I guess there's a reason that SIDS used to be referred to as "crib death." (Correct me if I'm wrong on that.) Still, I would be careful at some of the phrasing. Some people have gotten upset at the intent of saying not all "SIDS" cases were really SIDS. Some of these responses also imply that FF or sleeping in a crib is practically a death sentence.

I was a preemie, slept in a crib (when my mom wasn't having to sit up all night holding me because of my sinus trouble), and was FF (her milk dried up because the doctor said to wait 4-5 days to see if it was causing my jaundice, and she didn't know better than to NOT listen at the time.) My little sister was BF but was also in a crib. We're still here.

Also, I have to wonder, is it the complete lack of BFing that is the problem or any introduction of FFing at all?

My point is, cosleeping and BFing just don't work for everyone for a variety of reasons. It's a shame to make those people feel horrible for the choices they may have to or already have made.

Married to DH since February 2005, mother of selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifDS (8/18/2008) and DD in (4/2/2011)!  lactivist.gif familybed2.gif  Expecting stork-suprise.gif February 2013!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpmandee View Post
: :
Wow, I guess I am in over my head on this discussion.

I do *not* get why disputing SIDS is somehow offensive.

Personally, I would be offended if my child died and was written off as a "SIDS" death.

: I am so lost.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 01-17-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
Wow, I guess I am in over my head on this discussion.

I do *not* get why disputing SIDS is somehow offensive.

Personally, I would be offended if my child died and was written off as a "SIDS" death.

: I am so lost.

I honestly think that what some people took from your quote was that SIDS was a coverup for things that PARENTS do - like smothering a baby and saying they just stopped breathing. I know that's not what you were saying, but I can understand a mother of a baby who died of SIDS reading your vague statement and thinking you meant that they must have killed their child.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:29 PM

yeah, that was pretty vague.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
They changed the diagnostic criteria of SIDS at the same time they did back to sleep. I don't buy the stats.
In every country that did the "Back to Sleep" campaign? Always at the same time? Because, while the change varies from one country to the next (usually attributed to differences in health care, attitudes toward government, etc.), *every* country that's done a Back to Sleep campaign has seen a significant drop in SIDS rates afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
ETA: after posting such a cute little suggestion, I guess I'm going to ruin my normal-ness by saying I think SIDS is a cover-up for deaths caused by ...herm...other things.
See, I read the whole thread before replying, so I get the impression you meant something else... but I was totally going to reply to you about how my mom was a County social worker in the late '60s-early '70s, and part of her job was investigating infant deaths, to determine if they were truly accidental tragedies, or fourth-trimester abortions... and her sense is that, although the latter is a prevalent cause, SIDS is a real thing that does happen. (Happened to a cousin of mine, in fact... my mom's grand-nephew.)

I'd recommend an edit. It is very, very easy to read this differently.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I honestly think that what some people took from your quote was that SIDS was a coverup for things that PARENTS do - like smothering a baby and saying they just stopped breathing. I know that's not what you were saying, but I can understand a mother of a baby who died of SIDS reading your vague statement and thinking you meant that they must have killed their child.
Yes exactly. When I read your first post, Claddaghmom, I assumed what you meant was that the SIDS diagnosis was a cover-up for vax damage, but only because I had run across this theory in the Vaccinations forum; then I read the offended responses and guessed that the people who wrote them thought what you meant was that the SIDS diagnosis was a cover-up for infanticide or negligence of some kind.

But maybe that's wrong on both counts?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
:

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
In every country that did the "Back to Sleep" campaign? Always at the same time? Because, while the change varies from one country to the next (usually attributed to differences in health care, attitudes toward government, etc.), *every* country that's done a Back to Sleep campaign has seen a significant drop in SIDS rates afterward.
I'd be interested in seeing any non-US stats.

-Angela
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 PM

Oh dear. Well I see why the responses were what they were. It's sickening to think that a parent would do such a thing, but then I guess it's probably happened before. I don't know that I would suspect killing a child could very easily go under SIDS. I mean, how could you do that w/o it being obvious (drugs in system, marks, etc).

It is certainly not what I was implying. I think I have been spending too much time with mainstream mamas, so I was still being pretty tight-lipped/vague. LOL taking a break from MDC is like donning a label that says, "hey regular world! Look at me, I'm weird! "

Can you tell I've had some run-ins w/ strangers lately.....

Anyways, my original post was hinting at SIDS being a socially constructed write-off for children. When you don't know, or you do know and don't want anyone else to know, just call it SIDS.

Or, as someone from Britain was saying the other day: too many 3 month old babies were dying. So they gave a lady 180,000 pounds to do a study to find out why. She recommended changing the vax schedule from 3 months to 2 months. Hurray! No more 3 month deaths. Now they all die at 2 months.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 PM

Interestingly, I think I read somewhere that Australia (AU MDCers feel free to tell me I'm totally wrong here) or New Zealand (NZ MDCers feel free to correct me as well) did a crib mattress wrapping campaign and had better results than the back-to-sleep thing?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 PM

I think it's also important to note that SIDS really is a diagnosis of last resort. I basically means "We have no idea why this baby stopped breathing. We've ruled out all known causes, so we're just going with SIDS." This is why it drives me batty when the anti-cosleeping campaigns correlate cosleeping with SIDS, and include cases of adult overlying (usually while intoxicated) and suffocation under inappropriate bedding in their definition of SIDS. That's not SIDS - that's accidental suffocation.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:52 PM

http://www.cotlife2000.com/

This resource is worth checking out. It includes the NZ study mentioned by the PP. I did use their mattress wrap once my daughter moved into her crib at 7 months, and it made me much more comfortable.

User Tag List