Fruit or Veggie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i hear varying things on starting on rice-cereal (no nutrional value) and moving on to fruits and veggies. veggies being first. does anyone else think food should be based more on a raw foods diet? providing vitamins and minerals. i've started with strawberries
:::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 AM

I dont think they recommend strawberries till after a year. They are considered a high allergen so avoid till 12 months. Organic strawberries are very hard to get in the winter I only let the kids eat organic because of the amount of chemicals absorbed in the "standard" ones

Apples pears bananas avocado sweet potatoe butter nut / acorn squash greenbeans are gentler first foods

I make my baby food check out this site I really like it http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#3 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 01:19 AM

We skipped the rice cereal as well and started with avocados, bananas, sweet potatoes, that sort of thing. But I do make her a rice porridge of sorts...organic brown rice pureed with breastmilk or water to whatever texture we want to do for the week. Sometimes I mix up pureed or mashed veggies into it, hard boiled egg yolk, etc. I've been taking cues from a book called Super Baby Food...lots of ideas and a great resource if you want to avoid factory-made foods. ;-) (It also says, as the PP mentioned, that strawberries should be avoided during the first year..)
#4 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 01:24 AM

We started with avacados since they have a low allergy threshold, moved to sweet potatoes after that, on to peas, and pears, will start sqash next week. I only use organice cereal as a thickener in some fruits that are hard for LO to eat.

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#5 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 01:58 AM

I always heard to avoid strawberries in the first year due to allergen issues. Not only that but strawberries are very tart, and those little seeds are very hard on the gut. That would probably be the very last food I would ever think of giving a baby.

Good raw foods for baby's first food, like pp's mentioned, are avocados (excellent nutritionally, full of calories) and bananas.

I refused to give rice as a first food because I think it is just way too bland. I started with sweet potato (sooo tasty!).

But, again, if you're interested in a raw food diet for baby, I'd go with avocado and banana to start.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#6 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 03:13 AM

I've also read that the idea of starting with veggies first so they like them before they get to try sweet fruits is uneccessary since breast milk is so sweet and they've been having that for months.

I made rice cereal and still give grains (like oats and barley) on occasion. www.wholesomebabyfood.com is awesome. Loads of tips and recipes.
#7 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 03:19 AM

We do fruits and veggies at the same time as convenient. Dd's first food was avocado. Ds- banana. Both closest at hand when we started.

Ditto on waiting on strawberries.

And I've heard raw foods tend to be harder to digest for babies. They're not going to be getting any nutrients from most of it anyway- remember that solids in the first year are for practice.

-Angela
#8 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the great responses. i questioned the seeds coming through the mesh feeder too. they were frozen organic strawberries and provided some relief for the tooth cutting through. bananas will be much better frozen and no seeds to worry about. thankfully he didn't have any allergic reactions to the strawberry-could that allergy even after one year be more likely from pesticides and herbicides? i'll read over the two links posted
#9 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevalley View Post
thanks for all the great responses. i questioned the seeds coming through the mesh feeder too. they were frozen organic strawberries and provided some relief for the tooth cutting through. bananas will be much better frozen and no seeds to worry about. thankfully he didn't have any allergic reactions to the strawberry-could that allergy even after one year be more likely from pesticides and herbicides? i'll read over the two links posted
Just because they are high risk for allergens does not mean that your baby is going to have a reaction. So if you don't seen anything, I wouldn't worry!

The way you gave the strawberries makes a whole lot more sense now, I pictured giving pureed strawberries to the baby and that didn't make any sense to me!

I still think strawberries are hard to digest. I try to follow the rule that if my Grandmother can't eat it, I shouldn't give it to the baby.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#10 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I feed both fruits and veggies and dd loves both. Just no synthetic or processed foods is my rule.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page