Newly sitting, and hard floors - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My six-month-old is getting pretty good at sitting up on her own... until a stiff breeze blows through. She manages a minute or two before she topples over. She loves to sit and play with her toys, but I am at a loss as to what to do with my hardwood floors.

Right now she is on the floor on her crib comforter (since we don't actually use it in her crib) with pillows all around her. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am thinking my nursing pillow would work as well. Or do you just accept that some bonks on the head are going to be a part of learning?

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#2 of 29 Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 PM

Nursing pillows work great. I did my best to create a soft area to play in but some bumps along the way are part of the game.
#3 of 29 Old 01-16-2009, 11:59 PM

I used a Boppy for DS but gave that thing away long ago so for DD we got her a sheepskin rug. Very fluffy and works well for padding those unavoidable bonks.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#4 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 12:14 AM

We have an exercise mat to protect *our* spines when doing sit ups etc that works just as well to protect the little head.
#5 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 AM

Beginning sitters are so fun to watch...Anyway, we would just sit DD on a fluffy blanket and surround her with pillows. The occasional fall is perfectly normal and harmless

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#6 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 06:27 AM

those foam puzzle piece mats work amazing for cushioning the blow! you can get ones that are color on one side and grey on the other so you can choose how you want it to look! i have hardwood too, its scary sometimes!
#7 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 06:55 AM

i so remember when my dd was 6 months old and starting to sit up on her own. for a couple of weeks she would just suddenly topple over, and of course would hit her head. she had a couple bruises from it. i just spread a couple of thick comforters on the floor in her play area and it worked fine. a soft place for her to play without being too restricted, and some cushioning for when she falls. we have hardwood floors too.
#8 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We went with the Boppy and accepted the occasional bump. She still seems to be doing ok.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#9 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 10:03 AM

I used a sheepskin too. Worked great!

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#10 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 11:02 AM

we use the boppy that never worked for me as a nursing pillow

I put it slightly behind her so it is not holding her up, but will cushion the blow if she flings herself over

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#11 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 PM

We used a boppy, cushy blanket, and pillows. My mom has ceramic tile floors and her solution still cracks me up. She went out and bought DS a huge, new dog pillow. It was flat enough for him to be able to sit and play and offer protection from the hard floor. When he didn't need it any longer her dogs used it.
#12 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 02:31 PM

Boppy or other pillows. We also just accepted that some bumps are part of growing up. Although, I'll admit to some hovering in that stage - my hands and arms were usually within 6 inches or so of her so I could cut short any falls.

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)
#13 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 03:48 PM

We used a body pillow. It was great, because DS would jsut lie back if he felt a pillow at his back, so we could put it around him but not touching him. Eventually I just stopped putting it behind him as he could sit up really well. The other day he fell backwards for some reason and he actually pulled his head up just as it would have hit the floor so he didn`t bonk it. they`re clever, those little ones!

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#14 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 05:17 PM

DD developed very, very strong abs really quickly! Before that we had her on blankets, but she didn't like being limited. Strong abs keep the head from gonig bang! NAK.
#15 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
those foam puzzle piece mats work amazing for cushioning the blow! you can get ones that are color on one side and grey on the other so you can choose how you want it to look! i have hardwood too, its scary sometimes!
That's what we have. We have a playroom and we covered the floor with these and he can have little tumbles and not get hurt at all.
#16 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have interlocking mats too on the playroom floor. Work really well.

We used something like this for our younger two as infants learning to sit/crawl/walk.

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/osa/148756.html

Yeah, they look kind of silly to some, but much easier than slipcovering the whole house when baby starts crawling/pulling up/walking.
#17 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 06:13 PM

Boppy here too. But I did stop using it after a while, because I realized that he wasn't even *trying* to stay sitting up if it was there, but if it wasn't, he'd lower himself gently to the floor when he got tired. So he was beyond it.
#18 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We used a Boppy for the month or so that it took DD to get really stable in the sitting position.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#19 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 PM

We had interlocking foam grids (I bought them to take to Florida--GMiL has ceramic tile). I now use them to ease long kitchen standing spells.

In our living room, we plunked down an extra crib mattress. I had the crib sidecarred at one point, so I bought an extra Ikea foam mattress to cut down to eliminate the gap. I used the rest of the mattress as a softer play area on our hardwood or poorly padded carpet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRrQI_9_iDk

By the way, this flippy floppy stage lasted all of three hours. Thank goodness we got video the first day!

I'm now preparing to cut that already-cut-down mattress into a pad that will fit inside our dog crate. It's certainly serving many purposes.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#20 of 29 Old 01-18-2009, 04:41 PM

er, I feel bad, I never did anything for DS. At 3.5 he seems fine despite many infant head bonks.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#21 of 29 Old 01-19-2009, 12:25 AM

I just bought a cheep rug from walmart for $20 & would throw a blanket down on top of that when she was down playing (the blanket always slid on just the floor)

now shes 11 months & a beginning walker & well.. i cant put rugs everywhere. so she has 2 bruises on her forehead right now
#22 of 29 Old 05-21-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
We have interlocking mats too on the playroom floor. Work really well.

We used something like this for our younger two as infants learning to sit/crawl/walk.
I got some mats like that as well and so far so good even though there's just a lot of lying around lol
#23 of 29 Old 05-21-2009, 01:13 AM

we just let DS bonk his head once or twice on our wood floors. He realized it hurt, and then figured out how to fall without hurting himself. He did the same with rolling over. I guess teh kid doesn't like pain, 'cause he doesn't bump his head anymore, but will throw himself sideways when he's bored of sitting up. Gives the gparents a bit of a scare, but it's good for a laugh!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#24 of 29 Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/osa/148756.html

Yeah, they look kind of silly to some, but much easier than slipcovering the whole house when baby starts crawling/pulling up/walking.
That is awesome! I want one of those now! lol. DD is just about to start pulling herself up, and since she did plenty of tumbling in the learning to sit stage, I anticipate plenty more in the stages to come!

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#25 of 29 Old 05-21-2009, 01:44 PM

wow have fast time flys...I'm tryin to think back 2months ago =) my baby is not 8 months old and pushing is push walker all over the house...he falls sometimes but rarely bumps his head anymore. hmm.. The boppy...he hated having that around him bc it limited his movements. I put an exercise mat on the floor, then 2 or so blankets over it. Like another poster said, the blankets will slip all over if u don't put something w/ a grip under them. I love the idea of the puzzle foams...I'll have to look into that. Anyway...yesterday he was playing on the hw floor in the kitchen w/ nothing under him. He really hates crawling on it, I think that's been his big motivater for walking. =) I'd check out the foam puzzle pieces,,sounds easier then the blankets. oh, and we'd always throw a pillow or 2 behind/around him, so when he fell back, or did a nose dive to the side he'd have a chance at a soft landing.
#26 of 29 Old 05-21-2009, 01:51 PM

#27 of 29 Old 05-21-2009, 04:36 PM

I just found something better, looks better quality:

http://www.amazon.com/Thudguard-Girl...2934366&sr=1-2

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#28 of 29 Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM

With my first we used an exercise mat. By my second we learned to pretty much just get over it ... the head-bonking phase doesn't last long. Of course then there's the falling-on-the-bum phase, the tumbling off the couch phase, etc, straight on up through the "Mom, it's just a dent, I barely hit that light pole ..." phase.
#29 of 29 Old 05-21-2009, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
I just found something better, looks better quality:

http://www.amazon.com/Thudguard-Girl...2934366&sr=1-2
This looks more like what I used. What I used was foam, not cotton.

And I bought it 5 years ago and haven't found it online, not the exact same thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page