Teething and Nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-19-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS has his first tooth coming in! Lately he has been biting, HARD, when nursing. Any suggestions for getting this to stop? I don't want to scare him by shouting "no" or something... but it is hard to not yelp a little bit.

My mom said now is the time to ween him. I'm not into that idea... and neither is baby!

::
#2 of 4 Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 PM

Put your finger in his mouth detach him from nursing, say 'biting hurts mommy'. I give my daughter three tries and she's done nursing and I put her down to accompany the 'biting hurts' statement. Now that she's got real teeth though YEOCH! If you don't think he's actually hungry, I'd try giving a toy for chewing as an alternative.

I also found earlier that my baby was chomping down because my let down was too much for her, so I changed nursing positions at night when it was worst to me lying on my back and my baby on top of me face down. Then she stopped chomping. Just something to consider

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#3 of 4 Old 01-19-2009, 05:57 PM

We have had trouble with this, too. It seems like the biting starts every time DD is working on a new set of teeth-- around 6 months when she got the bottom two, she started chomping. I had heard that you could smoosh their face into the breast to get them to pop off, but I never seemed to have the presence of mind to remember to do that. Somehow, when trying to break the latch with my finger I always managed to poke her gums and make things worse.

My advice would be as calmly as possible to break the latch (gently in whatever way works for you!) and maybe set your baby down beside you, saying, "no, we don't bite mommy." I usually resumed nursing after a few moments and it did take a few times.

I thought we were over it, but then along came teeth #3 & 4, and we had a couple more instances of biting, and a couple more reminders. Things have improved, though.

I would definitely not wean at this point, especially over a little biting. (Even though it DOES hurt!). My MIL stopped nursing her first after being bitten (and didn't nurse either of her other 2 children at all)...she's been asking me pretty regularly whether I've been bitten yet, and I just reply, "oh, yes, and we've had a little talk about it!"
#4 of 4 Old 01-19-2009, 06:59 PM

Same problem here. I put my finger in her mouth as well and tell her "ouch! that hurts!" She always looks up at me surprised and a little confused. lol. Hopefully she'll get it soon enough.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page