babies with lots of hair! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've been trying to figure out what to do with dd's hair. she's six months old and her hair is so long, it's down past her shoulders. i don't want cut it. i'm not to crazy about putting barrettes in her hair, i'm afraid she'll pull them out and choke or something horrible along those line. but i would love to find some that are "no worrie". have you found any kind of "no worrie" barrettes? i've looked around on etsy and there are some really cute stuff...

so far the only solution we've come up with is spiking her hair up with baby oil! she looks so punk rock, i love it!

so mamas.... tell me, what do you do with your LOs long hair?!
#2 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 AM

No suggestions, I've got a little boy, but I want to see a punk rock picture!

Carey
Mama to Charlie (4/08) and Toby (2/10)
#3 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 02:23 AM

Sorry, I have no suggestions either as my first was a boy and my dd is practically bald still. lol But I also would love to see punk rock pics.
#4 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 03:02 AM

My DD2 has hair that is so thick, black, and butiful. : I don't want to cut it either. I have found that the adult sized clips that open and snap shut by bending the the barrette or pulling it open works best. She has to really pull to get it out and I always end up noticing before she gets it all the way out. Also, alligator clip barrettes for babes work. I get the bow not too big, but just big enough where she won't be cramming it down her throat very easily. I do like the adult barrette though because they are dark and discrete.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#5 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 08:49 AM

dd hair is long as well.. and her bangs get in her eyes badly so i use those "alligator" clips too. i didnt know they were called that, thanks..
i bought them at target, they're called "ribbies" there.. she doesnt grab at her hair so im not to worried about that.. and obviously i take them out at the appropriate times.... good luck!

Lauren- Mom to Nina 2.5 yrs. & Elaina 10 mo....our next bundle is due in June! joy.gif
#6 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 01:35 PM

my ds is almost 8 months old and has already had 4 haircuts! he was born with TONS of awesome hair, but then it thinned WAY out all around the sides, leaving the top 'floofy' portion to just grow and grow. for months, the only style that looked somewhat normal on him was a mohawk. so he was a mohawk baby and it was awesome!

now, it's all starting to fill in again around the sides and the top and is actually looking somewhat presentable we don't have to spike it anymore (although sometimes i do for fun). i want him to grow it long now that it's pretty much all even...we'll see.
#7 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 04:22 PM

My DD has TONS of hair. I tried barrettes, but she pulls them out. I think I am going to cut her some bangs, so at least the hair is out of her eyes.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#8 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 PM

I go with an ordinary elastic hair tie and a top-knot --- she looks a bit silly maybe, but it's up out of her eyes, and for some reason the elastic tie stays put whereas barettes are always either getting tugged at or slip out on their own.
#9 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Both of my girls were born with a full (and I do mean full!) head of thick, gorgeous hair. The nurses said they'd never seen a caucasian baby with so much hair. I'm nervous about things in the hair at such a young age for fear of choking, so hair doo-dads were out for us. And, I didn't want to put any "gunk" in their hair either. I did the same for dd2 as I did for dd1 - trimmed her bangs only - just enough fringe to keep her hair out of her eyes.
#10 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 PM

I am jealous. I am getting excited because DD's hair is finally about an inch long, and her bald spot is growing in.

I just came into this thread hoping to see pics!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#11 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 PM

The small elastic bands work great for us, too. We've also got a top knot going on over here! We've been using the bands since she was 9 months and they stay in really well, much much better than barrettes because her hair is so fine. Her hair is long enough now at 12 months that I can do more with it now including pigtails. Since we have been using the bands for a few months she is really used to them and doesn't fuss (usually) when I put them in.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page