Teething Necklaces - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2009, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, all! New to the Mothering board and glad to be here!

So I'm considering getting a teething necklace for 6 m/o DD. Two bottom teeth are all ready in and the top to are nipping at their heels. Anyone had any success with these?

Also, all the sites that I've seen say to remove the necklace when sleeping. Does everyone do that? I'm SAHM and bedsharing so she is never unattended. Does the necklace lose it's efficiency if removed for long stretches of time? DD has a good 12 hour (regularly interrupted ) stretch of sleep every night and that seems like a long time to go w/o wearing the amber.

Thanks!

Working student, Doula, wife and Mother to my little nugget, Rowan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvamommy View Post
Hello, all! New to the Mothering board and glad to be here!

So I'm considering getting a teething necklace for 6 m/o DD. Two bottom teeth are all ready in and the top to are nipping at their heels. Anyone had any success with these?

Also, all the sites that I've seen say to remove the necklace when sleeping. Does everyone do that? I'm SAHM and bedsharing so she is never unattended. Does the necklace lose it's efficiency if removed for long stretches of time? DD has a good 12 hour (regularly interrupted ) stretch of sleep every night and that seems like a long time to go w/o wearing the amber.

Thanks!
I highly recommend getting one. DD has been wearing one since 4 months.

I did take her necklace off at night at first, but don't anymore. We also bedshare, so I can always check and readjust the necklace as needed.

Veronika - loving my barefoot child living happily on the west coast shop Barefoot Books
Old 01-29-2009, 12:17 PM

My DD, almost 11 months, has worn hers 98% of the time since she was 3 months old. They aren't miracle workers but I defiantly can see a difference if I forget to put it back on her after a bath. Obviously, we let DD sleep with hers. At first I was super paranoid but we have had no problems and its really no different than me sleeping in a necklace. DD doesn't seem to know its there. We leave it one all the time since the Amber works better when it is in constant contact with the skin. The only time it is taken off is when she gets a bath and I plan on using soap. Over time the soap can leave a residue and block the oils in the Amber. I absolutely love her teething necklace : and its so stinken cute as well. We actually have a matching set.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
Old 01-29-2009, 12:48 PM

interesting! my almost 4 monther is massively teething (t1h, he's chewing on the other). We have an amber necklace & haven't experienced any relief with it, but reading the other posts makes me realize that we may not have been keepin it on long enough. we'll try again. & yes, they're really cute. DS1 wants one 2!

Loving mama to magical boys Skyler (11/21/03) and Gryffin Emrys (9/30/08). 

Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMomma View Post
interesting! my almost 4 monther is massively teething (t1h, he's chewing on the other). We have an amber necklace & haven't experienced any relief with it, but reading the other posts makes me realize that we may not have been keepin it on long enough. we'll try again. & yes, they're really cute. DS1 wants one 2!
I would defiantly keep it on as much as you can, it defiantly makes a difference but like I said before it isn't a miracle worker! At least for us, it didn't take the pain away completely but made it way more manageable! Also, I read that the lighter Amber contains more succinic acid which is what helps with the pain. I have a dark and a light and I haven't noticed a difference in the two. My DS wanted one too, so he got one for Christmas. His father and I also got one.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
Old 01-29-2009, 02:06 PM

wherre did you buy it from?

i tried making one for my babe, tying knots between each bead to make it safer. one of the beads chipped and broke though, and i couldn't go back and fix it easily, would've had to re-tie the whole dang thing!

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:24 PM

DD has worn her amber necklace all the time except during baths since she was 3.5 months old. I got it from : Inspired by Finn

''''

Old 01-29-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! I'm going to go ahead and order one this week.

Working student, Doula, wife and Mother to my little nugget, Rowan
Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
We have one for our daughter and she wears it 24/7, even in the bath.

But uhm... my husband pointed out that he can find no reference anywhere to amber being an analgesic except on sites trying to sell teething necklaces. So he thinks I'm being a dork. Does anyone have any reference to the necklaces helping that isn't from a site trying to sell them?

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:54 PM

I'll chime in with this thought.

I leave it on all the time, even for baths. I figure it is getting dirty and this removes the dirt that must be accumulating on it.

As to effectiveness, we are having our first sign of teething discomfort as ds2 works on his second molar. Until now thngs have been fine. We have a drool monster stomping around with his finger in his mouth and a few phantom fevers. (I think he has one, dh doesn't when I mention it or I sense one, wander off to do something, go back later and he is fine.)

I don't think it hurts anything to try one out.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.

User Tag List