October '08 Mommies ~ Lovin February - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
I would love to go to Yosemite! Someday, somehow, DH and I and Nora are going to get out to that side of the country and do it. I TiVoed a special on Yosemite and I've watched it twice b/c I would LOVE to go. So have fun!

And who do you have me mixed up with? Nora isn't sick...hmmm...whose LO is sick?

I'll come clean your dump, sure. As soon as I'm done with mine!
I guess I took when you said she only puked once today to mean something serious. If its only spit up, that is good. Haha- isn't it hilarious we can be so cavalier about our LO's and their spewing? I would have never thunk it.
Aww- you tivo'ed a Yosemite special. Have you never been there?
It truly is a magical place and soooooo big. You can go to one part of it and have a great time and still never get to see what is on the other side.
I would love to come in some time from the Southern-most point to do the Sequoia groves there.
I also wanna stay in one of the 1920's lodgings sometime.
If you ever get out there, maybe we can plan it and do a park meet up.
Its Matt's favorite place in the world and he has traveled a bunch and even lived in the Costa Rican rain forest.
We took our guests on a hike into Yosemite for our wedding trip back in May the day before the wedding.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#62 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerieshadow View Post
Pictures!
DH and DS trying to look like punks.. I think they did a pretty good job - I now have an image of what DS is going to look like as a sulky teenager.

And Ellie helping me with the laundry.
Ellie truly is a doll. So bright and beautiful! I also like the "punk" pic. I'm very naughty to think your dh is a hottie

Yosemite is nice IMO, but I love Sequoia even more. Especially the area called Mineral King. It's very secluded and rugged.

Update on Hazel's crud...

She has RSV The doc is pretty sure that's what it is based on her symptoms. I feel so bad for my sweet girl. We're just keeping an eye on her for now. I took her in today because of her having a fever since Saturday and she now has a nasty cough. The doc also said her ears look red, but not infected. So unless she gets worse, we're just going to wait it out.
#63 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 06:16 PM

Jenn: so sorry to hear re. the RSV. I hope Hazel isn't too miserable.
What is RSV again? Is this something that can be vax'ed for?
With Sequoias, I have never been there. We were gonna go last year to Sequoias and Kings Canyon for Matt's b-day but then a crazy storm system moved in there so we skipped it.
He said its really gorgeous country there...less traveled than Yosemite for sure.
ps- just noticed on your sig the thing about blue sheets. I never heard that. Is it true?

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#64 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
wow, that Kanga is something else too. I am unfamiliar with this carrier and now need to know more!
Look what I found on TBW - this is the larger size and I would be all over it if I didn't have other things I'd like to get first

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...d.php?t=310653

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#65 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah.astrid View Post
Look what I found on TBW - this is the larger size and I would be all over it if I didn't have other things I'd like to get first

You are bad bad bad woman!
I love it but thankfully not as much as the one you have.
ps- how friggin impossibly cute is L.O. in your sig?? Is that a Lana Care wool cap he is wearing? I believe its called a Nelson?

#66 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
how friggin impossibly cute is L.O. in your sig?? Is that a Lana Care wool cap he is wearing? I believe its called a Nelson?
Awww - thank you!!

That hat is from Ruskovilla Oy - a finnish woolen company. I have one right now, but I'm going to get more for him. http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/sc.26/category.-126/.f

I am kind of a freak about hats for Lars Oskar. 1) We live in Wisconsin, where it is routinely 0 degrees outside during the winter. My husband and I hate that for 4 months of the year we are trying to maintain a 68 degree temperature differential between inside and outside - it makes the eco part of me cringe. So we like to keep the thermostat low and put L.O. in a sweater. 2) Babes have such big heads in comparison to the rest of their bodies - and that is where we lose most of our heat. Lars Oskar is almost always wearing a hat 3) I have no scientific evidence to back this one, but I just feel like his brain is doing so much development, I want to keep his head warm.

I like the silken/wool pilot cap because it keeps his head at an even temperature - not too warm - and covers his ears.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#67 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks so much for the support and kind words, girls. It is greatly appreciated.

Carrie, please do PM me

Anyways, off to catch up on this thread. You girls sure can post!....which is a good thing

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#68 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerieshadow View Post
Tara, love the pics of you and Ally in the Zolo!

OrchideZ, your pictures are amazing, I love the scenery... love the wrap, and seeing your DH wear it...

Jaclyn, just hugs to you on the breastfeeding thing.

So, my girly is just super short. I measured her today to be sure but she's still at 23 inches... which is why her 11 1/2 lbs looks like a normal chunky baby.

Pictures!
DH and DS trying to look like punks.. I think they did a pretty good job - I now have an image of what DS is going to look like as a sulky teenager.

And Ellie helping me with the laundry.
too cute! what a couple of goofs! what a doll baby ellie is! she's still smaller than ally too. glad to know my little girl isn't the only petite one! looks like we've got at least a trio of them around here with ellie, ally, and iris.

Quote:
Ellie is so cute! She is sitting up so well on her own! :

I got so much done today, I am proud. Not only did I successfully wear Nora in the Moby all morning, she slept in there for 45 min while I folded the whites and made myself lunch! I just might turn into a bw'ing mama if this good attitude towards it keeps up!

I also cleaned out my drawers of maternity clothes and clothes I'll never wear again (too small) and put away the laundry. I cleaned off my dresser, pledged it, and windexed the mirror. Now I'm cutting tags off 9 month outfits and I'm about to throw Nora's duds in the wash.

I feel accomplished! Now, if only I had another 4-5 hours to clean the dining room and kitchen!
hooray! sounds like you had a great day! i'm so thrilled to hear you had success with the moby today! :

Quote:
Oh Viv, it stinks you live across the country because we're like soul-sisters when it comes to the things we like for our kids Par Example:

I love carrying L.O. in the Girasol Big Sur - he loves it too. I just got a steeply discounted babyhawk from thenatureschild.com that I am excited to try out. I also got the babywearing belt to use with the Mei Tais because L.O. is getting up toward 20 pounds and with the belt, the waist straps won't dig into me.

Here are L.O. and I in our TBW carriers

Big Sur
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...nt=Photo50.jpg

and the Kanga-J
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...nt=Photo51.jpg

I just relanolized all L.O.'s wool covers this morning. We have an Aristocrats wool soaker, two Disana covers (love 'em), three Swaddlebees Merino Snap covers and an Etsy WAHM-made cover and pair of longies. In the meantime, we're using his old Motherease Airflow covers. While they are nice covers, they are just inferior to wool. I want the other covers to hurry up and dry already.

You want another super awesome site?? Green Mountain Diapers. Hoo-boy. Danger, Danger. I'm saving up so I can get a couple of Covered Caboose Wool Diaper covers, the wool changing pad and wet bag from Little Beetles, a couple of Growing Green one-size diapers even though we love our Motherease One Size and Kissaluvs Size 2's (my kid is some kind of giant!!) Oh and the Snugglewool blanket. I am wool-aholic!!

And we love yoga!

Move to Wisconsin!!
great carriers! a woven is next on my list. green mountain is definitely somewhere i could get in trouble!

Quote:
Orion: sorry about the 1 am screaming. Maybe Charlotte will be the lead singer of a metal band...but seriously that would drive me bonkers. Not to mention our landlord's bedroom and ours share a wall.
Yay for your MIL coming to town!:

Tara: thanks for the fluid intake reminder. I am quite dehydrated and feel I don't drink enough water anyway so I think I am ok on that.
With Ally sucking her thumb, if you aren't giving her a paci and/or allowing her to suck when she isn't eating, she isn't going to learn to self-soothe which is a natural instinct and something that babies seem to crave and need to grow.
I would suggest letting her self-soothe as she needs.
I hope the bath idea worked to help you get some morning zzzz's. Let me know b/c sometimes Jaspie get rambunctious early early on.

Asoulunbound: I knew re. wraps and my DH that if I suggested trying it at home, he would maybe opt out b/c it seems complicated but if we were somewhere on a trail and I needed him to take over for me, it would work. And it did. I also have my Green Tea Girasol: coming in the mail from Canada- should be here anyday- and I know he loves green so I am thinking that wrap will be a done deal!
Sounds like Jasper and Samara are the same size. He is also around 12 pounds and just is able to fit some of his 3-6 m stuff.
What kind of diapers does your mama make?

Ashley: what a cutie Iris is no matter what the weight! Good sentiment lady. People keep asking me what Jasper's weight is and since we don't have his next wbv til next week, we can only guesstimate and go off his clothing and diaper cover size I do know as with Iris that he is thriving and a little character. He really cracks us up. I love how he likes to talk to us and gets a real serious look on his face while he is doing it.
I am jealous of your family's camping plans. That will be lovely.
We have plans (both related to Matt's urban planning work) to go up to Mammoth Lakes next month and then to Yosemite in June. I simply can't get enough of going up there. I LOVE the Sierras and Yosemite is one of our favorite places.
I love your Fleurville tote.
I think I am gonna love my bag I ordered.
I had to run it by Matt b/c we are tight with money these days but he knows how much I hate the Skip Hop I have been using. Its too small for the amount of prefolds I need when out and about. They are so fluffy! I have run out a few times and had to buy 7th gen sposies on the fly. Plus his blanket never fits on top and I have to carry that separately.
I got the Lexie tote in Red Cranes ( a gorgeous Japanese print) and on the seconds page, it says it is $65 down from $165 but when I put it in my cart, it went even lower to $55.
Gotta love that. I have heard good things about FV bags and have wanted one for a few months now so I feel good about buying one.
Anyone else still need a good bag, they have some cute ones right now on the seconds page. I love the botanical prints too- coral and azure.

Carrie: sorry to hear Nora is sick. How did I miss this? Hugs to you both. Sounds like you got a lot done today though. Can you come over and clean my dump of an apt now?

Jenn: sorry you got called off work. That would annoy.:

Faerie: Ella in the basket...: I wanna gobble her up! Goodlooking men you have there too...father and son!

Thanks ladies for the nice comments on our pictures! It was a lovely day for us and the first time since I have been healed to really do a hike with incline and to feel my body working.
I do feel so very blessed with our personality-filled happy son and glad I have a partner who is proud and willing to wear a wrap and carry his baby. I like to be aware of my blessings and to count them every day.
Gotta make breakfast now...eeeps...I mean lunch! Where did my morning go?
i'm not too worried about self-soothing with the thumb sucking yet since she doesn't do it when she's upset and couldn't care less if i take it out of her mouth. when she's upset, she still prefers to be worn or bf'ing.

her bath seems to have worked like a charm! she cued me she was ready for a nap immediately following getting dressed. i nursed her for a few min and she was out! i laid her down and she slept by herself for about 45 min! YES! AND, she took her long nap by herself today too! That's unheard of! She slept in her swing for at least 2 hours after she nursed (hunger and to sleep).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
Ellie truly is a doll. So bright and beautiful! I also like the "punk" pic. I'm very naughty to think your dh is a hottie

Yosemite is nice IMO, but I love Sequoia even more. Especially the area called Mineral King. It's very secluded and rugged.

She has RSV The doc is pretty sure that's what it is based on her symptoms. I feel so bad for my sweet girl. We're just keeping an eye on her for now. I took her in today because of her having a fever since Saturday and she now has a nasty cough. The doc also said her ears look red, but not infected. So unless she gets worse, we're just going to wait it out.
oh no mama! i'm so sorry to hear that! i sure hope she is able to fight it quickly and easily! s to sick little hazel and her mama for taking such good care of her when she doesn't feel good.

AAM: I ordered a new camera and a couple workout dvd's with my birthday money! I'm soooo excited! It's the brand new Kodak Easy Share and it seems awesome. I got a great deal on it too. $50 off at the kodak store! I can't wait to try it out. the dvd's i got are cathe freidrich imax 3 and amy bento hi lo dome challenge. i so need something new and challenging.
#69 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What is RSV again? Is this something that can be vax'ed for?
With Sequoias, I have never been there. We were gonna go last year to Sequoias and Kings Canyon for Matt's b-day but then a crazy storm system moved in there so we skipped it.
He said its really gorgeous country there...less traveled than Yosemite for sure.
ps- just noticed on your sig the thing about blue sheets. I never heard that. Is it true?
I don't know about the sheets. We'll see if it works in about 15 months

RSV=Respiratory Syncytial Virus. There is a vax for it called Synagis and it's routinely given to preemies.

Quote:

tsk:
#70 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 PM

Wow, girls!!! I'll try to catch up, but I've no idea how long Addie will sleep for so I want to post AAM first!!

My parents left this morning. I love having them up b/c they are so excited about Addie and she loves them. My Mom got her to laugh all the time! So cute!!

We also had breakfast with my inlaws on Sunday. They are so weird. They hardly interacted with Addie at all. They both acknowledged her but didn't want to hold her and talked about pretty much every other subject than her. My parents can't understand it either. She's not their first grandchild (like for my parents) but I think I'd love and be interested in any # of grandchild!!

Addie rolled over back to front this afternoon!! : She's been trying so hard lately and she finally got it today. And then was pissed she was on her belly so I rolled her back over. And she was then even more pissed at me for taking her off her belly when she'd worked so hard to get there!!

Anyone else's LO getting super grabby? Everything that comes into reach Addie grabs, including her other hand! It's super cute and so cool how interactive she is with things now.

Ok, off to upload various pics and to catch up on this thread!!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#71 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
How big are your little ones?
According to the bathroom scale Addie is about 13.5 lbs and I've no idea how long she is. Depending on her diaper she's either in 3-6 or 6-9 month clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimestersdoula View Post
I know you girls won't critisize me. Thank you for that. I just needed to vent to you guys and see if I am not alone in not breastfeeding anymore.
No way Momma! No criticism here!! Big for your bfing not working out, but it sounds like you did everything you knew how for your little girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
I did a pretty good job of taking her back when she cued me she was ready for Mommy! That's a big deal for me since I've had a hard time taking her away from people when she's fussing.
Glad you had a good time and on standing up and snatching Ally back! I have a hard time too, luckily my family is really supportive and always give her back at the first sign she's not happy anymore.

Quote:
I just might turn into a bw'ing mama if this good attitude towards it keeps up!
Yay, that's exactly why I wear Addie! I can get so much more done!! And she sleeps for much longer if she's on/near me than in bed.

Quote:

You want another super awesome site?? Green Mountain Diapers. Hoo-boy. Danger, Danger.
that's the site I've gotten most of Addie's diapering supplies from. They're awesome, aren't they?!

Quote:

She has RSV
Sorry to hear she's got RSV!!! Many and I hope she's on the mend soon!!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#72 of 331 Old 02-02-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
Addie rolled over back to front this afternoon!! : She's been trying so hard lately and she finally got it today. And then was pissed she was on her belly so I rolled her back over. And she was then even more pissed at me for taking her off her belly when she'd worked so hard to get there!!

Weird about your inlaws
#73 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 12:41 AM

Hey guys! I finally caught up with you all! It's good to see everyone's doing relatively well. Mal has rolled over, but isn;t grabby yet, and he had his first big laugh on super bowl sunday. He's already doubled his birth weight. That's it. good to see ya!

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
#74 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 AM

Wow! You all post so much! I have a lot to catch up on today...

Just wanted to pop in to say hi and that my snap press arrived today! I only have one more shipment I'm waiting on - super-soft Organic Bamboo Velour - and then I'm getting started on Mady's dipes. Yay! It's so silly how excited I am to make something for her to poop in. Sad, but true.

Speaking of the girl, she's calling for the bewb. I'll check in again tomorrow!
#75 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnArtistMama View Post
Its nice to see another boy Owens size. He is 19lbs (BF) and just a few days over 3 months old. He is also wearing 6-12month sizes.
I noticed its harder to find onesies in the 18 month size at shops.
Mine was 21 lbs at 3 months lol-and is around 23 lbs now at 4 months. He's a little fatty, so you're not alone. He wears all 9+ month clothes.

As far as Bumbos go, I was so excited to use ours, but by the time he had good head control, his legs were too fat for it! He got stuck in it the few times we tried to use it, so no good =(

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#76 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Ally has decided she's going to be a morning baby this week. : This is sooo hard for me! She has always slept until at least 9:30 and usually closer to 10:30. She apparently thinks she needs to wake up when Daddy wakes up to get ready for work. He thinks it's funny and laughs and talks to her. : I'm a pretty grouchy Mommy today. I have a hair cut appt at 3:30 so hopefully getting out of the house and making myself look good will help my mood.
#77 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I guess I took when you said she only puked once today to mean something serious. If its only spit up, that is good. Haha- isn't it hilarious we can be so cavalier about our LO's and their spewing? I would have never thunk it.
Aww- you tivo'ed a Yosemite special. Have you never been there?
It truly is a magical place and soooooo big. You can go to one part of it and have a great time and still never get to see what is on the other side.
I would love to come in some time from the Southern-most point to do the Sequoia groves there.
Haha, yeah, no just normal pukes. I picked her up too quickly after eating!

And no, I've never been to Yosemite. I would LOVE to go, and hopefully we will someday. Take lots of pictures and post 'em! I can't wait for you to go!

Quote:

Oh no! Ugh, hopefully it doesn't stick around too long, and Hazel starts to feel better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
Ally has decided she's going to be a morning baby this week. : This is sooo hard for me! She has always slept until at least 9:30 and usually closer to 10:30. She apparently thinks she needs to wake up when Daddy wakes up to get ready for work. He thinks it's funny and laughs and talks to her. : I'm a pretty grouchy Mommy today. I have a hair cut appt at 3:30 so hopefully getting out of the house and making myself look good will help my mood.
What time does your DH leave? Nora has been consistently waking up at 7am. Even on weekends. It blows, but I tend to get a lot done during the day b/c I'm up so early.

Lately sleep has been an issue for us though. She is really not sleeping well at night. Waking up ever 2 hours or so, wanting to eat, but not really cooperating. More popping on/off/on/off until I'm at my absolute wits end. Last night around 3:30 I gave up and brought her out to the living room and put her in her swing. Gave DH a heads up (he sleeps out there) and went back to sleep. It's not like she's hungry. She's just restless or something. But I had to get up for work today and I was NOT a happy camper. :

Also, Tara, I don't know, I'm not an expert, but Ally doesn't have to be upset or mad to self soothe. It's just something they do for comfort when they aren't eating or being held/worn. I just hate to think of you pulling her thumb out of her mouth when she needs it there, even if you don't think she does. I could be wrong, but that's JMHO.

Have a good day, ladies!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#78 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM

(((Tara)))))) sorry about the early bird awakenings... ugh
Call me sometime to get together this week we'd love to see you . My Mom an Sis (an her three kids) are driving up (3.5 hr drive one way, and they are going back again today too!) to see us today so we'll be a bit over-full in the house today lol. But try us Wed-Fri maybe we can get together . Having people come visit me makes me happy, and so long as they don't expect a perfect house I don't mind at all, it gets really lonely around here, and is difficult to get everyone 'out the door' to go see people elsewhere. So I guess your BFF and I are different in that department, the more kids I have lol the more I prefer to have people come here.. instead of dragging everyone out.

AAM Well Samuel is about to drive me batty with his night habits. Friday and Saturday night were horrible, .. waking all the time to feed. He was down to about every hour Saturday night. Then Sunday night he only woke once to feed, and Monday night he slept through (though I kept waking up expecting him to need me). SIGH I never know what to expect at night anymore. And now I'm terrified of getting mastitis again, almost everytime he's 'randomly' slept through the night like this it's been preceeded by crazy frequent feedings, and I get mastitis ..... I really hope that doesn't happen this time!

I guess I'd better do a couple things before my family gets here, sorry girls it seems like I barely have time to read before I have to get off of here again. I did read.. but didn't get to reply to much.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#79 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Lately sleep has been an issue for us though. She is really not sleeping well at night. Waking up ever 2 hours or so, wanting to eat, but not really cooperating. More popping on/off/on/off until I'm at my absolute wits end. Last night around 3:30 I gave up and brought her out to the living room and put her in her swing. Gave DH a heads up (he sleeps out there) and went back to sleep. It's not like she's hungry. She's just restless or something. But I had to get up for work today and I was NOT a happy camper. :
Amber has been the SAME way for the past few weeks. I actually called an LC and then took her to the Pediatrician because it was so out of character for her not to nurse well. But they said she was completely fine, probably just the 4 month growth spurt that she was going thru. She also had the same sleep issue, she went from sleeping 7-8 hours at night to waking every 2-3 hours as well, and I was about at my breaking point becuase like you, I need my sleep!!!

But, over the weekend she started sleeping 5-6 hours stretches again and its been that way every night since. I am SO happy she is getting back to her normal self now and getting a good nights sleep - us girls get very cranky with not enough sleep

Hang in there mama, hopefully Nora will get thru this growth spurt like Amber.....for us it lasted for about 2 weeks so just be patient

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#80 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
More popping on/off/on/off until I'm at my absolute wits end. Last night around 3:30 I gave up and brought her out to the living room and put her in her swing.
Just one more thing - Amber was doing this popping on and off thing too, still does a little but its getting better. She also started this thing where she would pop off and scream and cry and then wouldn't latch back on. I found that if I gave her a paci for a minute or two it was enough to calm her down and then she would latch back on and have no problem. I also started switching sides when she popped off and that helped too, sometimes it seems like she's just being picky and prefers one breast over the other. Who knows, maybe I just have a finicky girl on my hands! Good luck

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#81 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 01:05 PM

Also Tara,
Since everyone keeps talking about it... about the thumb thing, though I'd LOVE for my baby to suck his thumb... I really don't think it's a big deal if she's happy and you take it out of her mouth.. so long as she's still happy without it.. ya know? My baby chews/sucks on his fingers but also rarely when he's upset.. he wants to nurse/be held and/or have a paci when he's upset so far. So I can see what you mean .
I was a thumb sucker for many yrs as a small child, but somehow it didn't really mess up my teeth.. not sure how that happened? I stopped when I was ready. I think we are about to end up with a paci baby though, cause my milk is so forceful here lately that if he's sleepy I often have to give him a paci instead of the boob cause he's getting upset about being drowned when all he wants to do is cuddle and sleep lol!

Okay okay..... NOW I really must go haha.

DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#82 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMama311 View Post
Just one more thing - Amber was doing this popping on and off thing too, still does a little but its getting better. She also started this thing where she would pop off and scream and cry and then wouldn't latch back on. I found that if I gave her a paci for a minute or two it was enough to calm her down and then she would latch back on and have no problem. I also started switching sides when she popped off and that helped too, sometimes it seems like she's just being picky and prefers one breast over the other. Who knows, maybe I just have a finicky girl on my hands! Good luck
Hmm, maybe I will try the paci at night. At this point I'll try anything!

At 3 when she woke up, I actually sat up to nurse her, thinking she didn't want to be on her side. She opened her eyes and was all smiles and coos and it was the CUTEST thing - but at the same time so maddening!

Nora actually slept a lot yesterday so you must be right about this 4 month growth spurt. It just seems like she's always spurting! Once one ends another begins and it's so frustrating!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#83 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 02:35 PM

We have a thumb sucker here too. She just started a couple of weeks ago. My oldest sucks her thumb as well (she just turned three) but only when she is going to sleep. I luuuuurrrrrrrvvvvveee thumb suckers. I think they are so cute.

We are in the middle of yet another winter storm. They are already predicting a lot of power outages because it is eventually suppose to turn to freezing rain after getting more than 30 cm of snow...sounds like fun. I'm so happy we put a wood stove in this year!

My MIL is here right now for a few days and it's so nice to get a little break. I actually got to get out of the house by myself...mind you, it was to take the dog to the vet (poor thing has a scratch on her eye that just won't heal and it's infected).

Better go. The monster is calling out for some Boobie Juice.
#84 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 03:50 PM

Carrie, Ally does the pop on and off thing too. She tends to do it as a cue that she needs to burp. She almost always burps in the middle of a feeding though not generally during the night. When she does it then, it's almost like she can't get comfortable so I just roll us both over to the other side and she will almost instantly calm down and either pass out w/o the boob or latch correctly and suckle until she goes to sleep. I hope it passes soon! I know how annoying it is and how frustrating it can be.

Rae, I'll definitely give you a shout this week if Ally can get back on her normal schedule. This weekend really messed things up and she's been a bit different/difficult.

Ally woke up when Ryan got out of bed at about 6:50. Sheesh. We both laid down at 8:20 to nap and she slept for a full 4 hours!!! Little girl must've been exhausted! Maybe this will help her get back to normal.

Alright, off to shower so we can run to the bank and then my hair appt.
#85 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Just one more thing - Amber was doing this popping on and off thing too, still does a little but its getting better. She also started this thing where she would pop off and scream and cry and then wouldn't latch back on. I found that if I gave her a paci for a minute or two it was enough to calm her down and then she would latch back on and have no problem. I also started switching sides when she popped off and that helped too, sometimes it seems like she's just being picky and prefers one breast over the other. Who knows, maybe I just have a finicky girl on my hands!
Naturalmama: Jasper does this too! I have been doing your technique for a few weeks now with a paci to calm him and then getting him back on. It works for us. And then sometimes I switch sides.
ps- I know you are in Culver City. I am on the eastside in Echo Park. If you ever wanna meet for Mommy & Me yoga, I go usually every Thursday and sometimes on Tuesday or Friday in Hollywood which is a good meet-in-the-middle for us.

Re thumb sucking/self soothing: Since I was quoted a pg. back talking about it and I think Tara maybe didn't get what I meant, I wanted to make it clear I was not referring to when they are upset or crying leaving them to suck on their thumb when I say self-soothing.
I was like Carrie a few posts back referring to a basic developmental skill that babies have when they learn to soothe themselves when they are not being worn, aren't hungry but still want to suckle and they figure out how to fix this for themselves.
My bviously and I don't want to tell anyone else how to parent but just wanted to gently explain myself better simply since the topic hasn't gone away.

I know Jasper has a deep need to suck which goes beyond eating and doesn't mean he is upset. He just needs to suck so I give him a paci and he sucks away on it like its a piece of steak . I am thinking its a good distraction from teething aches as well.
This past week, he has moved up in development and is better at grabbing things, holding things, pushing his paci back into his mouth and yes, sometimes putting his thumb in his mouth.
At first, I wanted to stop him too b/c its messy and was doing so and then I realized (after a seasoned mama pal of mine who has 3 and is an AP type saw me pull it out and she asked me about my motivation and reasoning) he is learning autonomy and discovery and quite frankly, he likes it. If I stop him now, its b/c I don't like it. So I let him. I don't think its anything to worry about for a few years re. teeth and shaping.
I am ok with him having a paci but if I weren't, I would be even more inclined to let him have his thumb if he wanted it.
I did read this on babycenter which makes sense to me:
Quote:
Babies generally suck their thumb to
soothe themselves, which is good, because they need to learn how to rely on their own resources. The ability to regulate or control one's behavior and emotions is an important developmental challenge. When your child sucks her thumb, she's finding ways to make herself feel better without your help.

You don't have to stop your child from sucking her thumb right now. In general, thumb-sucking is more irritating to parents than it is harmful to kids. Your baby will stop when she's ready and has developed other ways of soothing herself.
Jmarie: Good to see you on here! Are you on our Facebook group? Its private and has a forum area where you can start topics and discuss which I like a lot b/c it gives us the option of topics being separated rather than just one thread.
You are making your own OBV dipes!!? Wow. Let me know if you decide to sell some. You should start your own biz b/c Goodmama is doing so well and is so coveted for their OBV dipes. What do you use for doublers/liners? Do you use them at night?

Em: sorry about your inlaws being not as warm as your parents towards Addie. Maybe they just aren't naturally affectionate in general and not just towards Addie?

Rae: Hope you are having a good day with fam. I wish mine lived closer sometimes (and emphasis on the sometimes.).

Tara: Putting in a request for pix of the new do when you get back!

Jenn: sending lots of healing thoughts Hazel's way.:

Anyway, gotta change the baby now...be back in a bit!

#86 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 PM

I read almost all the posts...

I'm back from our trip down south and it was great. I loved taking the train. Annie was really good and everyone on the train was sooo impressed; especially since it was a 12 hour train ride and she never kept anyone awake.

One guy must have taken 50 pictures of her...kind of weird but I think he just though she was a cute subject and he liked playing with his camera.

RSV...yuck...I'm so sorry that Hazel has that. OrchideZ - There is an RSV shot but they are really expensive and have to be done every month. It's really not worth any of us who have full-term babies to get them. It's a virus (respiratory syncitial virus)....we were in the NICU for 11 days when my son got it at 1 week old. At this age our babies are pretty much in the clear for needign to be hospitalized but it's still an awful recovery.

Annie sucks her thumb/fingers. I like that she self-soothes because none of my others did.

Carrie - We have the little brown flower pants that you have. Pockets go in the front.
#87 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:

I am sorry to hear about Hazel being sick. How is she doing today?

And, I've thought that way about DH since we were 16.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#88 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 PM

OrchideZ, my stylist had to reschedule for tomorrow morning. Her little guy is vomiting. I'll be sure to post pics tomorrow though!

pray for some patience for me ladies....i'm having a rough day just in general.
#89 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 PM

Oh, did I mention I chopped about 18" off of my hair!

I donated my hair to locks of love.

I'll take pics soon and show you all the new 'do.
#90 of 331 Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 PM

Tara ((((((hugs)))))))) I'm sorry the day has been so hard for you.

AAM I've had a good day, but it's been crazy and very exhausting.. my family just left before 5.... and now I'm left with some VERY over tired kiddos..... sigh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page