October '08 Mommies ~ Lovin February - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope you like it Carrie! Next time hit TBW and get one to try for super cheap

Tara, you should try a Psling. They're amazing ring slings!
You're hair looks great and Allie Rae is HUGE!!!
#122 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 06:24 PM

So - I've really given up on the ring slings and pouches because I hate hate having all of Lars Oskar's weight distributed in one strap across my back - I sold the KKAFP after about a month because it killed my back. I'm afraid Ring Slings would be the exact same way. For now I am happy with my mei tais, Kanga J SSC and Girasol Big Sur. I do want to get an ER Girasol sometime soon though. It's just too beautiful to resist.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#123 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah.astrid View Post
So - I've really given up on the ring slings and pouches because I hate hate having all of Lars Oskar's weight distributed in one strap across my back - I sold the KKAFP after about a month because it killed my back. I'm afraid Ring Slings would be the exact same way. For now I am happy with my mei tais, Kanga J SSC and Girasol Big Sur. I do want to get an ER Girasol sometime soon though. It's just too beautiful to resist.
That is what the local LA babywearing group leader said pretty much re. wearing RS. They need to be switched from shoulder to shoulder during the day if you wear them for a long amount of time. A RS puts all the stress on just one shoulder. I think they are best for events like a wedding or party where you are only wearing the babe for a bit and want to look nice or when you are running an errand and need to pop the babe in and out real quick-like.
Hmmm...ER Girasol...do you mean this one?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1008454307
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1008454307

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#124 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 PM

It's girlie, yes, but I'm super girlie and I think I do tend to see them as an accessory for me instead of for baby. But would I have bought that one if I had a boy? Hmm, I don't know! Probably not!

That said, I'm not having another baby for a really long time so I want to enjoy her girlie-ness with as many things as possible!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#125 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM

No, ring slings aren't good for long wear periods but I don't think that applies. Since Carrie isn't bw'ing much at all, I imagine she'll use it when she needs an extra hand. They're GREAT for that.
#126 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
Hmph - Soooo jealous. You look beautiful in that. Well you are beauty anyway, but the wrap ain't bad either!

Yes, I mean that one.

My Girasol Big Sur is a 3.6 and I can only get the hang of the short cross carry. I think I need a 5 to really do the other things I want.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#127 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM

I totally agree OrchideZ!! I would absolutely wear ones that become an accessory for me but I don't want others to think that a boy is a girl simply because he's in a flowered carrier! I get comments on how cute "he" is with Ally all the time and it drives me nuts! I think she looks feminine even in a green wrap! Haha! Surely I'll eventually stop caring and wear whatever I want.

eta:

changed, what's a Psling??
#128 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 PM

So I am just trying to figure out this photobucket thing so I can show off my little sweetie pie

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/DSC00298.jpg

Hopefully this link works, I still have no idea how to get the link to say her name (Amber) and then link to the photo. Sigh, someday I might get this stuff!!!! I usually share my pictures on Snapfish or Facebook so this photobucket is all new to me.

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#129 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMama311 View Post

So I am just trying to figure out this photobucket thing so I can show off my little sweetie pie

Hopefully this link works, I still have no idea how to get the link to say her name (Amber) and then link to the photo. Sigh, someday I might get this stuff!!!! I usually share my pictures on Snapfish or Facebook so this photobucket is all new to me.
What a sweetie!
If you are used to FB, do like I did above and just give the link to the photo on your FB page. I never did that before this way but it was so much easier.
On FB the photo link is at the very bottom of the page.

Sarah: My ER is 4.0 (I guess it shrank a bit?) and my Green Tea is a 4.8. I am hoping it got here today. Gonna go check downstairs right now. I will let you know what I think re. sizing after trying that one.
Although, my DH is 6'2" and he was able to do a basic cross carry in the ER no problem.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#130 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
No, ring slings aren't good for long wear periods but I don't think that applies. Since Carrie isn't bw'ing much at all, I imagine she'll use it when she needs an extra hand. They're GREAT for that.
Right - I'm still figuring this all out! I just wanted something that's more poppable than the moby but not necessarily for using for long periods of time. I think I chose wisely, but we shall see. Soon I'll be a pro like you guys and I might actually understand all the terms! It's like when I started CDing and I didn't know a BSWW from a AIO. LOL! I crack myself up.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#131 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 08:18 PM

okay, here is my new haircut. It's shorter than I wanted because I had to get it cut twice since the first girl messed it up. This is the curly do for when I don't have time to fix it but I would usually flat iron it.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/p...a/DSC01013.jpg
#132 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:

what beautiful eyes!!! to get it to say something just type it out, highlight it and then click on the button in your reply box that looks like a globe with a paperclip and paste it in there. I hope that makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
okay, here is my new haircut. It's shorter than I wanted because I had to get it cut twice since the first girl messed it up. This is the curly do for when I don't have time to fix it but I would usually flat iron it.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/p...a/DSC01013.jpg
Totally cute! Very Mom-friendly too!
#133 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 PM

Tara I just thought of something.... I could loan you my 'Maya Wrap' dvd which shows how to do all kinds of holds with ring slings . Plus we can still do some 'in-person' stuff too. But the dvd you could watch over and over lol.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#134 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM

Carrie: Love the ring sling...so pretty. As far as two door cars, I don't have one but I do have a Britax Marathon and Sunshine Radian. The Sunshine Radian would probably work rear facing in a Mini because it is low to the ground and slim. I like my Britax Marthon better than the Sunshine (mostly because it sits up so high and is like a lazy boy for my kids) but since I have three car seats in one row in my car (we have a Nissan X-Trail which I believe was only sold in Canada so you might not know what it is), I will be having all Radians when Charlotte moves out of her Peg Perego bucket.

JanasMama: Love the haircut...so cute. Glad to see you over on FB!

Tara: Love your haircut too!

NaturalMama: What a cutie!

So DH called tonight! It was really great to talk to him but it is so frustrating at the same time. He calls from the Satellite phone on the ship and depending on where they are there is a 2-5 second delay and it drives me nuts. Not only that but we only get 10 minutes a week to talk. That is so not enough time to fill him in on all the new milestones the kids have reached, or what is going on around the house. I really miss my hubby Oh well...only 19 more sleeps until he is home!
#135 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 PM

Dinner is on the table but I wanted to say...

I love your new dos Carrie and Tara!! I've been meaning to go get mine done...maybe now I will with y'alls inspiration!

BBL...

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#136 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 PM

Have been following all week...just chiming in on this wrapping chatter...I've caught wrap fever.

I've retired my Moby and got a 4.6 Didy Aubergine Waves (its a size 6) and 4.1 Gira ER (soooo pretty, I couldn't resist). I can do everything (including a front wrap cross carry) with the didy (i'm 5.6 and about 110lbs) with plenty of room left over and can do a FWCC with the ER if I'm careful. I'm using a regular cross carry lately though.

Here's my boy in his Didy:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Also made a Scandi-style mei tai...and am starting to feel the mei tai love:

Anyone putting their babies on their backs yet? I'm still too scared.
#137 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 PM

Love the new haircuts, Carrie and Tara! Oh, and I love all the hair that Ally Rae has. :

Hi, Harmony! Welcome to our chatty group!

I'm so jealous of all of you with the gorgeous baby carriers. They are all so pretty. Well, it might not be pretty, but I'm loving my Ergo. Elina tends to put up a fuss in my other carriers, no matter which hold I try, but she's been liking this one. So different from ds, who would happily stay scrunched up and "strapped" to me all day long. :

Jenn, still thinking of Hazel, hope she's doing better today.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#138 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 11:26 PM

Oh man, I made myself a scandi mei tai the other day and it's freaking awesome! I couldn't believe how well it came out. I'll post pics on FB. If you can sew (and have a machine) at all, it's easy peasy with a great tutorial I found online called "hood to headrest mei tai".
#139 of 331 Old 02-04-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1122 View Post
Have been following all week...just chiming in on this wrapping chatter...I've caught wrap fever.

I've retired my Moby and got a 4.6 Didy Aubergine Waves (its a size 6) and 4.1 Gira ER (soooo pretty, I couldn't resist). I can do everything (including a front wrap cross carry) with the didy (i'm 5.6 and about 110lbs) with plenty of room left over and can do a FWCC with the ER if I'm careful. I'm using a regular cross carry lately though.

Great carrier choices .. love um

And yes I put my baby up in a ruck sack carry (wrap) on my back sometimes, honestly 'if' I knew how I probably would have done so with him as a newborn, but have only really learned how in the past month or so. So around 3 months when we started back carries here.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#140 of 331 Old 02-05-2009, 12:04 AM

Changed, how long did it take you to make that mei tai? I've seen that tute but it looks really intimidating (and I'm a pretty good sewer). I made a MT for dd1 but we never really used it much....and I feel like I remember it taking forever to put together. I'd love to see pics of yours!

NaturalMama311... Amber is super cute! TY for sharing her pic with us!

Harmony...

Sarah... Your boy is sooo precious! I love your didy! I've worn Iris on my back a lot in our Beco. She loves it. I wear her on my back when I'm cooking dinner and without fail she's out in a matter of minutes. I was always nervous about wearing my babes on my back in the ergo but its really easy in our Beco. I think I'd be nervous to wear her on my back in a wrap with her being so small.

Carrie... I hope you and Nora love your zolo! I'm a rs kinda girl myself. I've made a bunch but the one I made for dd1 is my absolute fav. I'll have to dig up a pic of her in it. I've always liked the versatility of a rs...and ease of nursing in one. I haven't tried I in ours yet b/c she still can't really wrap her lil legs around my waist comfortably and she doesn't really dig being worn in a cradle hold while she's awake. I'm really hoping she'll like it cause I've sworn by my rs with my other babes.

Orionbelt... mama. Glad you got to talk to your dh but I'm sorry you're missing him so much now. I wish I could make those 19 days go by quicker for you.

AAM... Well, I went to the dentist today and turns out I do need a root canal. Sigh. The doc put me on tylenol 3 and its not even touching the pain. I guess its just majorly inflammed. The part that really sucks is that I'm not comfy nursing I til the half-life of the med is up so dh has her now upstairs and she's screaming. We may have to thaw out some milk. Poor babe. I have to be on abx for about a week before I can even have it done. Fun times.

Speaking of teeth...anyone have any luck with amber teething necklaces? I think I'm going to make one for I tomorrow and pick up some Hylands. I think the teething process has started for her.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#141 of 331 Old 02-05-2009, 01:18 AM

wow, I forgot to look here for a new thread :

I'll have to come back to post a 'proper' post but wanted to join so I'll get the notifications in my email

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#142 of 331 Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 AM

Sarah!!!: Your AW Didy is killin me! I love it.
And I am glad we can be ER twinzies. Can't wait to see some of that one.
I just posted some photo ops over on FB in our group.
That Skandi MT is wild...love it!

Nice hair-dos Mama T and Carrie! very pretty and fresh looking, the both of you.

So sorry about your tooth Ash. I have been there with a root canal and they also had to wait a week b/c of inflammation, infection icky-ness.

#143 of 331 Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 PM

Did you try putting some clove oil on that tooth? Might help. You can also take a whole clove and set the little ball part on fire (I'm not kidding) and let it burn until it turns to ash...then when it cools pop the whole thing in your mouth where that tooth is. Should numb things a bit for at least a little while...although if the tylenol isn't touching it clove may not either.

Orchid - will try to get some ER photos up...I just got it in the mail the other day and it is WORN IN...soft and flannely and wonderful. I'm in love. DH is still pretty attached to the Moby and I'm trying to convert him to the wovens.

I used this Scandi tutorial
http://scanditute.blogspot.com/
Took a few hours, but wasn't really all that difficult. The directions are a little bit confusing, but you just have to *trust* that is is all going to come together.
#144 of 331 Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 PM

That one is great too. The one I used had videos that walked you through some hard parts and made them easy. Like there is a video explaining how you can do all the padding in the straps without ever breaking the thread. Huge time saver and makes it stronger.
#145 of 331 Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Ooooh you two are inspiring!
Sarah: Your ER sounds like its an old style one. I can't wait to see it. Mine is the new style.
I just brokered another deal on TBW and have a Wool Lisa (Didy) size 6 coming to me in exchange for our like new organic Ergo. How cool is that?
I really wanted a wool or silk blend Didy for the softness. The Lisa is a navy blue with tiny colored stripes. My DH would def. be able to use it.
She said it is very very soft and worn in.
Even if its too warm in the summer for us, it will be great come fall although I have read people say that the wool Didys are quite breathable even in warmer climes and it depends on the carry.

#146 of 331 Old 02-05-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony08 View Post
Hi
Harmony

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
Jenn: thanks for explaining sleep. I find it fascinating! I guess I feel lucky b/c I as a night owl get to stay up- Jasper goes to bed around midnight and then he sleeps in til I get up which lately has been around 10:30. He has 3 or so night feeds we do right in bed.
There are some babies who don't adhere to the whole circadian rhythm theory. As long as it works for you, and it sounds like it does, then I'd just go with it. There's a mom in my BAM group who desperately wants her son to stay up and sleep in later, but she's been unsuccessful in her attempts at changing his sleeping. I feel bad for her since she REALLY doesn't want to get up and go to sleep early, but I think her efforts are essentially frugal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
I got Rosie.

And no, I didn't get in on a sale, but whatever, it's justified like Viv says!
Beautiful!

Quote:

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/DSC00298.jpg.
What a cutie pie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
Love it!
Somehow I didn't multiquote Tara's pic, but I love yours as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1122 View Post

Beautiful boy (and carriers) Sarah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerieshadow View Post
Jenn, still thinking of Hazel, hope she's doing better today.
Both girls are going to the doctor today. Olivia woke up this morning with an earache and Hazel's lungs sound junky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdancedoula View Post
AAM... Well, I went to the dentist today and turns out I do need a root canal. Sigh. The doc put me on tylenol 3 and its not even touching the pain. I guess its just majorly inflammed. The part that really sucks is that I'm not comfy nursing I til the half-life of the med is up so dh has her now upstairs and she's screaming. We may have to thaw out some milk. Poor babe. I have to be on abx for about a week before I can even have it done. Fun times.
That sucks! Root canals do not sound fun!

AAM: Mentioned above that I'm taking both girls into the doctor this morning This RSV thing is rough. I wake up all night worrying about Hazel not breathing. She's been downstairs with dh and me since she's been sick and the poor thing is pathetic.

In addition, when I got home from work last night, our 7 year old cat Pagan was laying in the driveway against dh's tire. I actually thought he was dead when I pulled up. I went inside and got dh. He handed me Hazel and picked our kitty up. He gave the most pathetic meow and I was mortified he was alive. I had dh take him to the emergency vet's and have him put down. I feel so sorry I wasn't the able to one to do that, as dh is extremely emotional in those situations and could've at least used some company when having to do this. We also told Olivia about it and I think she sorta understands that her "Paggy" won't be around anymore. He'd been getting really thin over the last month and I had him dewormed to rule-out that as the problem. We had an appt for him today for bloodwork to see if it was kidneys, thyroid, or something of that nature. My gut tells me it was FIP

Work was pretty good this week despite me not having my old position. I actually work *less* "on the floor" because I have my own patients and don't feel like I constantly need to be doing something. Yes I still help out with other people's patients, but don't feel obligated to answer the call lights and such.

Going for a cup of coffee, then to go check up on my Tribal peeps and FB.
#147 of 331 Old 02-05-2009, 01:13 PM

So sorry about your kitty, Jenn.

#148 of 331 Old 02-05-2009, 01:15 PM

I read about Paggy on FB but wanted to know what happened. I thought maybe he got hit by a car. As a fellow kitty person, I am so sorry Mama.
I hope the girls' appts today go well. I am thinking about them.

#149 of 331 Old 02-05-2009, 01:38 PM

Ashley, I hope your tooth feels better and the root canal goes smoothly!

Jenn, poor Hazel. I feel so bad for you two! I hope the appts go well today. And the news about your kitty on top of RSV?! Things will get better. I'll be thinking of you.

AAM: My new camera is "out for delivery" according to the USPS website! Can't wait! I didn't get my workout in last night. : We went to my Mom's for cake (sheesh, cake) for my brother's birthday. He turned 16 and got his license yesterday. OH MY! Makes me feel pretty old. He's my youngest sibling, 11 years behind me. I'm sure there's more for me to say but Ally Rae is demanding some boob so I'm gonna grab a glass of water and sit down with her (she's literally gnawing on my arm.....).

Have a great Thursday mamas!
#150 of 331 Old 02-05-2009, 04:32 PM

Aww, Jenn, I am so sorry about your cat. If it was FIP, you did the right thing. That is a horrible, horrible thing for kitties. I hope Hazel starts feeling better soon, too. I can only imagine how tough it is for you right now.

Tara, your wedway picture got me thinking, back when we were all pg, weren't you talking about going to Disney when Ally was 3 months old or something? Am I remembering wrong? Did that trip fall through or did you push it off?

Congrats to your brother! My youngest brother just turned 21 this November. I'm not that much older than he is, but my oldest sister is in her mid 40s I think. I just reconnected with her last night. We didn't speak for a few years b/c of her beliefs - she can be very judgemental. She is pregnant with her 11th right now. Yes, 11th. I'm going to try to talk to her about VBAC. I don't know her history but she says she has to have another section b/c she had two previously...and that sounds like a red flag to me.

AAUs - Well, I'm not getting as much done on my day off as I'd hoped. I got so much done on Monday that I thought all days would be so easy, lol. Nora isn't napping as much today as she did the other day.

I got some vacuuming done, but I scared one of my cats with the vacuum and she jumped and knocked over my coffee mug and it spilled all over the back of my shirt and the counter in the kitchen. Jerk cat. She's in the basement now.

My other cat keeps chewing through wires. She got DH's phone charger this morning and he's going to be SO PISSED when I tell him. She already ate through 2 audio cables and the dustbuster cord.

All in a day's work, I suppose...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page