Feb '08 - is it really Feb '09 already? - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 343 Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read a little about her Helen very sad. I didn't know that she had children She is so young´....
#332 of 343 Old 02-28-2009, 12:41 PM

To make a long, private story short and public, Mike and I both settled. In any case, the poly comes up because I think I am falling in love... and I honestly don't know what to make of it, it's not a great time for either of us. One day at a time, I suppose.

I went through my "be present with the kiddos" stage when BooBah was little. She's got a bit of a kidney thing, and we found out about it before she was born (so of course we couldn't know how much or how little it would affect her). We knew that it wasn't the most common problem (hydronephrosis) nor the second most common (polycystic kidneys). We knew that it wasn't Potter's Syndrome, in which babies develop and grow to full term but can't survive after birth. ( Aside from that, we had no clue-- we just knew that there was something clearly wrong with her kidneys, one or both. After she was born there were tons and tons of tests... bloodwork (which was, initially, much more disturbing than reassuring) and scans of every kind. She spent her first year on prophylactic antibiotic therapy (which led to a few irritated posts here as I tried to find ways to keep our resultant permathrush under control), and Mike and I kind of muddled through. Well she *seemed* very healthy and strong... so all we could do was go with that and take her to all the doctors over and over again. Today she's 4.5 and she's doing very well, we have a clearer picture of things. The only thing we know, however, is that we know nothing. She's spent her entire life in stage II kidney failure, and she could move into stage IV next month or she could stay like this into adulthood. The time to be paranoid and watchful again won't be until she's beginning puberty and her body is developing very quickly; We have absolutely no guarantee that her kidneys will keep up with her.

Anyway, not knowing led to a bit of the, "what if" line of thinking, the fear of putting her down, etc. It was very mild for us because she really seemed very healthy most of the time, but it was there. Wrapping your head around it, you finally get that none of us has any kind of guarantee. I could get hit by a bus (if we had any around here, ), Bean could crack his head open on the sidewalk, Mike could easily croak in one of those ridiculous episodes... you never know. You just have to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#333 of 343 Old 02-28-2009, 05:08 PM

Rynna...wow...uh...wow I had no idea about your journey with this! But, as always, thank you for sharing your thoughts and perspectives. We all "know" that any day could be our last, but the vast majority of us never internalize that and then live accordingly. But you and Carrie have just given us good reminders to work on our own perspectives. I'm so glad that BooBah continues to do wonderfully, despite the lack of answers!

Helen and Carrie, I've go to figure out what "treasure-mapping" means.

Just picked up my "matron of honor" dress for my dear SIL's wedding. It is PINK, PINK, and more PINK, but I think it is actually going to be so beautiful! I'll have to post a pic once the big day comes! (March 14th)
#334 of 343 Old 03-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Dea

Hello mamas!
Happy Birthday 'Nara!

SO Trixie's American birthday was today and it was good! She was good and tired at the end! I learned that birthdays should be at noon or 4pm to accomodate naps, not 2pm! You should include the time you're gonna do the cake on the invite, and even though 40 people RSVP yes, about 10 will totally flake and you should NOT spend $200 on food 'cause it will be too much! SO now I have a dozen extra baby cakes (cupcakes made with yogurt, agave and fruit, so yummy!) so much BBQ and adult cake.

But so much fun! Now I must devise the cutest most creative thank you cards I can muster!

Rynna! I want to say Mama! Hugs! You're so strong! But part of me thinks that you know that and you don't need to be cuddled (well not by me) so instead I'll give you a virtual high five for having your poop in a group and doing what you gotta do!

Oh and I forgot to mention Trixie in all of her birthday parties only got 2 pink plastic noisy monstrosities! Whoo hoo!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#335 of 343 Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
Rynna! I want to say Mama! Hugs! You're so strong! But part of me thinks that you know that and you don't need to be cuddled (well not by me) so instead I'll give you a virtual high five for having your poop in a group and doing what you gotta do!
I am very admiring of just how Rynne manages. I like this approch for admiring from afar.

Happy birthdays all around.... I so wish I had been part of this DDC when you were all giving birth.... I missed the sense of community...

About community, I think I might have found a group of like minded mama's. : living not more than 10 minutes drive from where I live : Sitting together and chatting was just such an awsome experience for me. I am so often have to edit what I want to say to the people around me (family, work friends) as people would just look at me like "WTF?"????? and I have had enough of that. My one more AP style friend here in Israel up and left for Austrialia some months ago. Anyway, it is so awsome to have other mama's who don't think cosleeping, extended breastfeeding, questioning vax etc is creepy weird. In REAL LIFE!

I missed my 1000th post here as I have been crazy busy posting on the vax forum.... but most of my posts have been there, so I guess it was fitting.

We are getting ready for our trip to Cape Town, South Africa. We will be there for Pesach.... and I get to celebrate with friends who I haven't had Pesach with for years now... and we all now have kids.... I am really excited.

Otherwise, my veggie garden is coming along and DS is having a bawl outside in the garden when the weather permits. :

Life is good.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#336 of 343 Old 03-01-2009, 01:44 PM

okay, just a few quick moments

treasure mapping here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3#post13278303

dea- the balm was incredibly easy, it's my new thang!

1/4 c of almond oil
1-1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp shea butter
1 tbsp beeswax

these are all mostly approximate measuremewnts.

melt in a double boiler remove and let cool until cloudy, then wisk in the essential oils (i used lime, lavender and blood orange) and put into containers until set. i used some of the extras on my elbows and they were silky smooth

rynna- i had no idea about boobah! i thought it was some tiny thing with her kidneys, not that serious. for me i just go along not thinking about it at all until i brush up against it. then it stuns me again and i'm like, "how could i have forgotten THIS?!?!" it's been awhile since my last reminder....

ema- i'm hoping to manifest some friends irl too this coming year. i sure need them!!

raina- so cute about the farting! i LOVE little kid farts!! especially baby farts

helen- that's so sad about jane goody o hadn't heard about her. there's a thread about sugarlumpkin i think in toa, she has a 2-1/2 yo i think. as for weight watchers, my grandparents both used it successfully, but it took them a couple of months to start seeing large results, could you just decrease your points on your own?

i recently have lost about 10 pounds and i attribute it to cutting out sugar and wheat and eating just about everything made from scratch.

eh. who needs a signature?
#337 of 343 Old 03-01-2009, 06:48 PM

It is just some tiny thing... her first year was just a LOT more work, and her second a fair bit (kids with kidney problems often have growth issues as a result, so they get followed more closely in the first two years). She's short, but not really any shorter than expected-- in fact, Bella's smaller for her age than BooBah. Today we just make sure she can self-select her foods (she needs more salt than most people) and make sure that anyone with her knows that if she says she has to pee, she is not stalling and she means RIGHT FREAKING NOW (because her kidneys don't filter very well, so she just pushes water out of her body by the gallon). I was told that she might have a hard time potty learning because she puts out so much urine, but she never got that memo and was out of diapers at 22 months.

Also, I am completely insane. Seriously. I only appear to manage so well when my few, few rules are applied. Household rules, for example, are "No naked buns in front of windows," and "Chew and swallow before you speak." Those are the major ones. Oh, and "No throwing things" and "No hard toys in bed." Just about everything else is negotiable.

Back to the grind. I'm sorting out the kids' clothing. Bear needs a 2T for everything because he's so freaking tall. Poor fellow, things are forever falling off of his nonexistant hips, but if it's not a 2T it's nothing like long enough for arms, legs, or body. He's got a pair of 18 month sized overalls that are perhaps 6 months old and the snaps pop open because he's too tall to wear them. I think I'm gonna freecycle this stuff.... Do you think that denim shortalls which are kind of bloused around the buns and embroidered with daisies are too girly for a little man? It's not that I mind terribly... but I prefer the kids to be old enough to explain their own clothing choices. (BeanBean wears pink all the time, it's one of his favorite colors.)

Oh, and I've discovered iTunes free streaming radio. It's quite sexy.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#338 of 343 Old 03-02-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
okay, just a few quick moments

treasure mapping here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3#post13278303

dea- the balm was incredibly easy, it's my new thang!

1/4 c of almond oil
1-1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp shea butter
1 tbsp beeswax

these are all mostly approximate measuremewnts.

melt in a double boiler remove and let cool until cloudy, then wisk in the essential oils (i used lime, lavender and blood orange) and put into containers until set. i used some of the extras on my elbows and they were silky smooth

rynna- i had no idea about boobah! i thought it was some tiny thing with her kidneys, not that serious. for me i just go along not thinking about it at all until i brush up against it. then it stuns me again and i'm like, "how could i have forgotten THIS?!?!" it's been awhile since my last reminder....

ema- i'm hoping to manifest some friends irl too this coming year. i sure need them!!

raina- so cute about the farting! i LOVE little kid farts!! especially baby farts

helen- that's so sad about jane goody o hadn't heard about her. there's a thread about sugarlumpkin i think in toa, she has a 2-1/2 yo i think. as for weight watchers, my grandparents both used it successfully, but it took them a couple of months to start seeing large results, could you just decrease your points on your own?

i recently have lost about 10 pounds and i attribute it to cutting out sugar and wheat and eating just about everything made from scratch.
WOuld that work well on J's excema? REALY want to do something natural, EVOO is not working and REALLY don't won't eucerin
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
It is just some tiny thing... her first year was just a LOT more work, and her second a fair bit (kids with kidney problems often have growth issues as a result, so they get followed more closely in the first two years). She's short, but not really any shorter than expected-- in fact, Bella's smaller for her age than BooBah. Today we just make sure she can self-select her foods (she needs more salt than most people) and make sure that anyone with her knows that if she says she has to pee, she is not stalling and she means RIGHT FREAKING NOW (because her kidneys don't filter very well, so she just pushes water out of her body by the gallon). I was told that she might have a hard time potty learning because she puts out so much urine, but she never got that memo and was out of diapers at 22 months.

Also, I am completely insane. Seriously. I only appear to manage so well when my few, few rules are applied. Household rules, for example, are "No naked buns in front of windows," and "Chew and swallow before you speak." Those are the major ones. Oh, and "No throwing things" and "No hard toys in bed." Just about everything else is negotiable.

Back to the grind. I'm sorting out the kids' clothing. Bear needs a 2T for everything because he's so freaking tall. Poor fellow, things are forever falling off of his nonexistant hips, but if it's not a 2T it's nothing like long enough for arms, legs, or body. He's got a pair of 18 month sized overalls that are perhaps 6 months old and the snaps pop open because he's too tall to wear them. I think I'm gonna freecycle this stuff.... Do you think that denim shortalls which are kind of bloused around the buns and embroidered with daisies are too girly for a little man? It's not that I mind terribly... but I prefer the kids to be old enough to explain their own clothing choices. (BeanBean wears pink all the time, it's one of his favorite colors.)

Oh, and I've discovered iTunes free streaming radio. It's quite sexy.
E had a problem for a while with keeping clothes on and NOT pressing his junk up on the front window and yelling and waving to all who wander by! Thank goodness we live on a quiet street and they all know that is just e!

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#339 of 343 Old 03-02-2009, 03:05 AM

Happy B-day to February babies! :

My DS2 is 13 months old now and has been walking since the day after he turned 1. Gets into everything now, rummaging garbage cans, emptying out the recycling bin, pulling anything within reach off the kitchen table... argh!

Managed to find a babysitter for Feb 13 and celebrated Valentine's Day then. I think it will be many years before we can actually celebrate this day on the 14th...

Was ditched by a trustworthy babysitter and a massage therapist I had know over 8 yrs this month. I kept thinking it was payback time for stupid silly things I must have done in my youth. But as they say, sometimes things happen for a reason, and I now have a new babysitter that is more mature and emotionally stable than the one that never showed up on TWO occasions this month.

The massage therapist? Friends of mine that I've vented with speculate that she's undergoing some mid-life crisis or menopause. It's bizarre to be flushed by a massage therapist you've known for so long over a post-dated cheque by two days and missing only one appointment. But that's what happened. I was able to see an osteopath in that time slot so the pre-planned babysitting did not go to waste

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#340 of 343 Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 AM

Nplaty, try shea butter. Also, see if you can get someone to teach you wet-wrapping techniques, and then apply those using sunflower oil (I'm really not a huge fan of EVOO externally- in fact, I'm not a fan of it for most things.) Sometimes it's not what you use but how, kwim?
According to the wii, I'm down 5lbs. Given that I weighed myself just after a large meal and needing the toilet, I figure I've lost something so I'm going to stick with WW for the rest of the trial period.
Oh, and I've found a harness that can contain River in a high chair, and so my life is getting better and dinner last night was more fun.

: Got to go do school run now, BBL, love you all.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#341 of 343 Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 AM

I started a March thread. I terrible at linking so you'll have to go find it until someone much more adept at linking links the two together!

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#342 of 343 Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM

double post

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#343 of 343 Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 AM

New thread here

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page