Feb '08 - is it really Feb '09 already? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
slgt: so sorry to hear about your chocolate lab. Hope the week goes well and you have some good last memories.

Emily - I'll definitely be sending your triplet momma my best vibes. Tough and scary time I'm sure. There's pretty amazing things they do in the NICU for early babes these days. You could refer your friend to both her local Moms of Multiples club, which can be a huge IRL help to new moms, and to MDC boards. I know there's a NICU forum, and Parenting Multiples is good too. Best wishes to her!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
carrie, i hope you got your cooking done and found lots of good ways to re-freeze what you cooked. i'm glad your mate is back too, that's hard! props to the single moms!!!

slgt, i'd pay close attention to your thyroid levels when you do blood work. Ask for the TSH numbers and don't let them just say "normal". the range of normal is huge so if you're on the higher side i'd look into treating your thyroid. i also agree that adreals are another plausible cause. the nighttime signing is so cute! her brain is really working! good luck with all those teeth! I'm sorry about your dog, that's so hard.

helen, i hope it thaws soon. we had a really rough winter here in the midwest of usa so i can totally relate to how much that sucks!!! be careful!

teeny, my dd did that with her diaper too. it can be pretty frustrating! we just always had to keep pants on her and that detered her most of the time. hows the transition off bottles/pumping going? i know several moms that bottle weaned around a year but kept nursing whenever they were with the baby and it worked out great for them. i think as long as you don't have supply issues (which i know you've said you don't) then dropping the pumping at this point is unlikely to hurt your over all supply.

raina, holy crap, that is alot!! i'd ask to have the car evaluated by your own body shop for peace of mind if nothing else. i'd love to come to your belly dancing thing, too bad we're so far! also for thrush, try a probiotic. when i have a flare, i take 2-3x what i normally take and i'll open a capsule and mix with a couple drops of bm and paste it on my nipples. i do it after a feeding so it can be on there until the next time. it gets crusty when it dries so i just flake it off before nursing again but leave a little for james to get some in his mouth. that has worked well for us. i have an extremely invasive case with grace and gv didn't touch it and was a huge mess. i do think it would probably work with a mild case but it's a huge pita. good luck kicking it quickly!

Julie, i totally agree with how allopaths tend to treat these things. i have had good luck with getting them to run tests but the variances of normal are so vague that everything is always normal so it must be a brain imbalance and need anti depressants. i hope the accupruncture goes great!

rynna, oh poor bear. i'm glad his biopsies were good but dang, what is it? i'm sure this is beyond frustrating for you!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:49 PM

I had to post this kitchen playset I made out of cardboard and duct tape.

Ember loves it.

Yeah, ok, not as nice as these. But the price is right!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:04 PM

Only have a sec but had to say...Julie...that is AMAZING!!!!!

And Sarah, thanks for the thrush info...I need to file that away in my brain for next time.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 AM

Great job Julie! That is awesome!!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Hi Mamas, some major help needed here and ANY opinions and thoughts would be helpful here.

I just talked to a friend of mine who, as it turns out, is pregnant. They are both huge baby people, love Lily to pieces and have always been excited about the prospect of having a baby. The problem is that they weren't expecting to get pregnant and my girlfriend has had many nights where she had too much to drink. They had been considering an abortion due to the drinking but now are thinking they can't go through with it - she's a vegan so even just considering it must have just about killed her. She thinks she's nearly 3 months along now and hasn't been on any vitamins and I'm sure she's concerned about her nutrition.

She's coming over tonight to grab my maternity clothes and get some books and resources from me. I know nothing about FAS or effects of drinking on early pregnancy - any words of advice that I should pass along to her? She just got my OB/GYN's phone number and is making an appointment with a nutritionist but I'm sure she's feeling overwhelmed - desire to have and excitement about the prospects of a baby are being usurped by things she may have done that could effect said unborn.

I'm out for the day but will definately check back in before she comes over tonight.

TIA all my compassionate mamas!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 PM

How many instances and how much alcohol are we talking about, Jaimee? (Keep in mind here that everyone defines "too much to drink" differently.) How long was it before she knew that she was pregnant?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 02-11-2009, 01:53 PM

If she wants to keep that baby, planned or not, I don't think staying drunk straight for a month before she found out should deter her. : I think veganism would be more damaging in the long term health of the baby than getting liquored up a few times before getting a
But what do I know?
Good luck to your friend, I don't think she needs to worry about this one.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:07 PM

I'm not sure how much. It doesn't seem to be an everyday issue but my best guess (until I talk to her tonight) is once or twice a week, drink till you pass out kind of thing. I'm not sure when she stopped drinking either, she couldn't talk much since she was at work and the concerns about her drinking on her pregnancy was second hand, not by her.

Now that I'm a parent and rarely drink I'm not privy to the partying of my childless friends, it's funny how things change, y/k?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
If she wants to keep that baby, planned or not, I don't think staying drunk straight for a month before she found out should deter her. : I think veganism would be more damaging in the long term health of the baby than getting liquored up a few times before getting a
But what do I know?
Good luck to your friend, I don't think she needs to worry about this one.
I agree. I mean, no one really knows how much it takes to cause FAS, and I've known plenty of people who have found out they were pregnant after a few wild nights involving alcohol. And if she's decided to keep it, worrying will not change a thing, but the stress from beating herself up may take a toll.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:08 PM

i agree also. nothing she can do to change it now and it seems that FAS is very individual. some may be affected by relatively low levels aof alcohol while other heavier exposed babies don't seem affected. i think the best advice for her is to accept what has happened and that it was completely unintended and to provide the best possible nutrition she can from here on out. i'm sure this is really hard for her!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:08 PM

My educated guess would be a couple nights a week of crazy drinking won't give her baby FAS. It would have been better, naturally, had she not drunk so much, but if she starts taking vitamins and such now and refrains from drinking, I think they are ok. Think about how many mamas have hyperemesis first trimester and lose weight and are dehydrated and certainly not receiving adequate nutrition...her baby will take from her body's stores. Now she needs to replenish and upkeep. It's my thoughts that FAS is caused by a more constant drinking the whole pregnancy.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 PM

My xsil has twins with fairly mild FAS. I didn't live with her during the pregnancy, or even know her during the first trimester, but I did spend enough time witrh her to know that she drank fairly steadily through the pregnancy (at her mother's insistance that SHE drank during pretgnancy and HER kids all turned out fine, I beg to differ aboutr the older generation, since exy and the other sister are both serious alcoholics) so I know it was more than a few isolated incidents.

The twins are 19 now, doing well, in college, have good GPAs and have, to all intents and purposes, overcome a rather rough start in life and done amazingly well with the brains they have. Of course the world lost something special because if they are this great with FAS, they could have been truly brilliant with intact brains.

I know we're not supposed to talk about abortion here, but when I found out that Ecstasy doesn't cause birth defects and that people hand down things like baby clothes and that I could have given Phoebe a good life...

Well, I just hope your friend doesn't abort. I don't think it's necessary. There are services out there to help and there are degrees of FAS and there are people who overcome physical handicaps.

eta: we've had some fairly heated discussions about vegan pregnancy here, but we do have a very healthy feb '08 baby (i forget who) from a vegan pregnancy and Terran is healthy as an ox either because of or in spite of an almost dairy-free pregnancy with a couple of fish binges that my body seemed to be asking for.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyblossom View Post
I'm not sure how much. It doesn't seem to be an everyday issue but my best guess (until I talk to her tonight) is once or twice a week, drink till you pass out kind of thing. I'm not sure when she stopped drinking either, she couldn't talk much since she was at work and the concerns about her drinking on her pregnancy was second hand, not by her.

Now that I'm a parent and rarely drink I'm not privy to the partying of my childless friends, it's funny how things change, y/k?
Well, I know someone who was drunk a handful of times before the BFP who's got a child who is just fine. My mom knew a woman and was absolutely CONVINCED that her insane Pepsi habit (said woman drank about a case of Pepsi a day... if not more) caused her childrens' birth defects and other issues (one died of "SIDS" at two weeks, another had epilepsy), but of course she had no evidence-- she just felt that the circumstantial evidence was enough to make her swear off caffeine entirely during pregnancy. It's a concern, but probably not as big as it could be. If she continues drinking, that would be a problem...

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 02-11-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
If she continues drinking, that would be a problem...

ITA...if she stops now, I think things will be fine. I have also heard that the issues with FAS are more with drinking throughout the pregnancy. If she has stopped by 12 weeks, she might just be good to go!!

Update on my friend:

3 new babies joined the world today!
Luke Thomas - 4 lbs, 0 oz
Caleb Michael - 4 lbs, 3 oz
Noah Daniel - 2 lbs, 15 oz

Not much other info other than knowing they are here now. All are in the NICU, and seem do be doing "well" whatever that may mean...don't know about breathing status or anything. Will post more when I have it. Thanks for all the kind thoughts/prayers!

Emily
Old 02-11-2009, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Congrats to your friend, Emily! Those are some great weights. Best wishes to those three.

:

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
Old 02-11-2009, 07:02 PM

Welcome to the world, triplets!

:::
Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM

Thanks so much, Gena and NOS! I am so happy the little guy is almost a half of a pound bigger than they estimated!! Hopefully their stay in the NICU will be short!

Also meant to say earlier "Happy 1st Birthday to DDC baby Audrey!!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:08 PM

YAY EMILY! I'm so happy to hear the news, the triplets have been on my mind. I used to work with a woman who had a premie who was just under two pounds and her daughter thrived quite well. Horray for her making it through.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. It was my thought that you can't worry about the past, only work hard to change things for the future. We'll see how she is doing about it all when she gets here. Looks like I'm going to have to wrestle my maternity clothes out of storage :.

Babies are not always perfect despite perfect conditions and some are unscathed by unknowing mothers. Our babies are always perfect because they are just that, ours.

NOS, thanks for the insights on the vegan pregnancy! Is there a MDC sub forum I could suggest to her?? I don't get out much :.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Happy Birthday Audrey!!!!:::

I know Andrea lurks ansd sometimes has trouble posting.

Has anyone heard from Sarah Lynne lately? I think I found her on Facebook by process of elimination, but we may have more Sarahs in our ddc than i am aware of. If anyone is in touch with her, could you let her know I'm thinking of her and am here if she needs to talk?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 PM

wow triplets : i can't even imagine... but :

Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 PM

Hi Mama's
Thank you sooo much for remembering my little Audrey today, it made my feel full of love to know you all remembered! I can not believe our babies are turning 1 already. This year has just flown by. For the last few days I have been reminiscing about this time last year, and how exciting it was to check in here each day to see who had a baby and get the daily status reports!

Heather is right, I am a lurker, I wish I had the time to hang out and chat and be involved in your daily conversations. You are all amazing women, and it is so nice to know you are all here and we are still connected in some way.

I want to post some pictures, but I have to go and figure out how to do it again! I am not very computer literate when it comes to that!

Well, a big :::::ju mpers:: to all of our little ones. I wish them all another great year filled with lots of love and happiness!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:53 AM

As always, only have a second, it's been a long week of illness for both myself and Kaia, but we were actually well for the weekend (and only the weekend!) to celebrate Kaia's birthday which was really fun. Saturday we had family over and celebrated and for her actual birthday DP and I took her to the children's museum, she had a lot of fun and was really funny. Get pictures up when I can.

I'm one of the vegans, but I know there are others, too. I don't mean to be really disagreeable, but with all respect, being vegan during pregnancy cannot harm your beeb. As with any diet, not getting proper and complete nutrition can harm your baby. I know some people can be crappy vegans or vegetarians, but in all honesty, plenty of people can be crappy omnivores. She should certainly look into making sure she gets what she needs nutrition-wise, there are alternatives. Like people who take fish oil, I forget what I took to get the same benefit, but it was something I had to add into my diet. I'm with everyone else though, she should stop worrying over what may or may not have already happened and start concentrating on doing her best for her baby now. Unless we're talking about really serious drinking, I would guess baby is fine.

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

Old 02-12-2009, 05:38 AM

Okay, I've taken the night to sleep on it.

Jaimee, I was in your friend's shoes a decade ago. What I would say is that the only possible right thing to say in a situation like this is "congratulations" and then talk about names and birth plans. I would have been really offended by anyone who had speculated, to my face or behind my back, on whether I'd given my kid FAS or any other deformity, and would almost certainly been offended by anyone without a medical degree trying to reassure me. I'm saying this as gently as I can, but right now the best thing you can do to help is to remind her how amazingly brilliant having a baby can be, and also that she isn't alone and does have a community of friends around. There's a reason why this baby was unplanned, y'know?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Dea

HI everyone!
Happy birthday to all of the babies that I've missed! (I"m sorry, it's been a rough couple of weeks...)
anyhow I have a couple questions.
I'm looking for a good toddler formula for Trixie. I'm not ready to put her on cow's milk and I just don't think her formula is going to be good enough now... I don't want to pose this to the rest of the world 'cause I don't want to explain everything over again right now....
Also Ive tried baby's only, and it upset her tummy too. I'm trying to find a goat's milk formula for toddlers (I know they ahve them in New Zealand) and all I can find is http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Organi...4429233&sr=8-4, but it's $35 for 10 8 ounce servings! That's crazy expensive! I wonder if there is somethign I could just add to goats milk to make it have a little more oompf to it?
Help.
So on a more personal note. I am not pregnant. I didn't expect it to hit me so hard, but the negative really rocked my world. Granted it was only one cycle, but also so many surgeries. It was supposed to be easy this time. It's not going to be. So I am freaking out a lot, I can only do these drugs so many times, and they're so bad for you. They mess with me and they can cause some crazy issues for me later on (like ovarian cancer). But I want another baby, Trixie needs a sibling. So I am totally bummed, and hormonal. This mixed with me going over her birth in my mind. Ya know, what if? What if they would have turned the pit off sooner and I was allowed to labour on my own, would her heart rate have evened out? Was it that dangerous to have no fluid (for how long we're unsure)?
When I was hoping to be pregnant I had a lot of issues about Trixie's birth kinda pop up, things I thought I was okay with. Hmm apparently not.
Grrr...

Anyhow YAY baby birthdays! I cant wait to see more pictures! I love them! Julie your kitchen is so sweet!!!

I also love that I am friending so many of you on facebook! I love seeing all of your pretty faces in my daily jaunts through the internet world.... LOVE IT! Also welcome to my world! I take a lot of pictures of Trixie. Like an ungodly amount. Heh...

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
Old 02-12-2009, 08:14 AM

Dea
Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 PM

Dea!! I'm so sorry to hear it.
And, yeah, sure, it's only the 1st cycle, but still, take all the emotional time you need to grieve not being pregnant this time around. It is real, and you are right to acknowledge how hard it feels!
And, hang in there...this, too, shall pass, and Trixie will get her sibling!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:29 PM

Oh Dea I'm sorry . Lovetobemama said it best.

Happy Birthday baby Audrey!!

Oh and Happy Birthday to the Triplets! How amazing!

lilblossom, I agree with the consensus if she stops drinking, all should be well. I know a few people (myself included) who had a few nights of indulgence before they knew they were pregnant with know known problems.

Anyone else have a little singer? Senara has been singing up a storm! Maybe that's because I sing to her constantly, but she's really adorable. Moving around the house getting into her toys or books or whatnot just a singing away.

Also, she took her first steps yesterday!: She had a book in hands she wanted me to read to her and just looked at me with determination and took a mighty four first steps to me!

Oh everyone thanks for the pump-weaning advice. I meant to come on and say that, but so many times I read replies and think responses in my head, and don't get around to writing back. It seems to be going well. I'm down to 2x a day pumping for now. And she has her backup until she's one. She still does love her ah-ahs though, so I'm not worried about it affecting her nursing.

Maybe this isn't real exciting to many, but it is to me. I got my period today and it's only been a month since the last one. This hasn't happened in years! I don't know, but it seems after giving birth like something settled out the right way because my body seems to be getting normalized. I'm not TTC (in fact we're talking the big V), but for years I've had such screwy cycles that I never know what's coming or going (which is the reason for the delay in knowing I was pregnant with Senara), and here it seems like I'm finally getting on track. Now I think I can start charting for real. I'm really excited about it.

signature currently in transition
Old 02-12-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
HI everyone!

I'm looking for a good toddler formula for Trixie. I'm not ready to put her on cow's milk and I just don't think her formula is going to be good enough now... I don't want to pose this to the rest of the world 'cause I don't want to explain everything over again right now....
Also Ive tried baby's only, and it upset her tummy too. I'm trying to find a goat's milk formula for toddlers (I know they ahve them in New Zealand) and all I can find is http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Organi...4429233&sr=8-4, but it's $35 for 10 8 ounce servings! That's crazy expensive! I wonder if there is somethign I could just add to goats milk to make it have a little more oompf to it?
i have seen this locally (powdered in cans) and there is a recipe for formula on it. That is the route I would probably go if i wind up having to take ivermectin to get rid of these mites or if i couldn't nurse for some other reason.

i don't think that it would be appropriate for dd to attempt to induce lactation unless she had to take on a maternal role because of my demise, and then it would be up to her and her partner to make that decision since they woul;d be the parents.

Dea, i am so sorry about the bfn.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Dea, there is absolutely no clinical justification whatsoever for toddler formula. If you've got something that works, keep using it. Toddler formula was developed specifically to get around the European companies that have implemented the WHO code and ban on breastmilk substitute advertising, but only on milks aimed at children under six months old- therefore, by creating a toddler formula they can advertise it, and the whole darned brand. Don't worry. Honestly. If you want to read more about it, go to www.babymilkaction.org.uk

Teeny, you jammy git. I'm all brokem because I didn't O last month

Dea I'm sorry.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.

User Tag List