lactose intolerant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lactose intolerant - how do you tell if your (4 month old) baby is lactose intolerant? My baby is fussy and I'm not sure if it's teething or belly?

PT WAHM to DD 09008 wife to DH : and three crazy cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 AM

Mine is. We supplament and when we started he got constipated and fussy. I tried soy and it was worse. I now use the lactose free formula and cut dairy out of my diet. Organic valley makes lactose free organic milk

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#3 of 5 Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM

4 month old babies do not get lactose intolerance, to my knowledge. They can be MILK ALLERGIC, which is something different entirely. All milk has lactose, YOUR milk has lactose but the protein in human milk is different from cows milk. The cow's milk protein is what they are reacting to.

My 5 month old is not milk allergic, but is sensitive to cows milk and it gives her bad reflux so I avoid it, but I noticed this when she was weeks old.

Four months is a very fussy age and if she was fine with what you were doing before it probably is not a dairy sensitivity/allergy. That's what I'd think anyway. If you want to be sure, cut dairy out of your diet for at least 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference. This means cutting out the "hidden" dairy as well, whey and casein (most commonly found as sodium caseinate or calcium caseinate)- these are the cow's milk proteins.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#4 of 5 Old 02-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
4 month old babies do not get lactose intolerance, to my knowledge. They can be MILK ALLERGIC, which is something different entirely. All milk has lactose, YOUR milk has lactose but the protein in human milk is different from cows milk. The cow's milk protein is what they are reacting to.

My 5 month old is not milk allergic, but is sensitive to cows milk and it gives her bad reflux so I avoid it, but I noticed this when she was weeks old.

Four months is a very fussy age and if she was fine with what you were doing before it probably is not a dairy sensitivity/allergy. That's what I'd think anyway. If you want to be sure, cut dairy out of your diet for at least 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference. This means cutting out the "hidden" dairy as well, whey and casein (most commonly found as sodium caseinate or calcium caseinate)- these are the cow's milk proteins.
:

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#5 of 5 Old 02-03-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

THanks!!

PT WAHM to DD 09008 wife to DH : and three crazy cats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page