2009 Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Page 14 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#391 of 406 Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
When dd (now 2) was a baby she got a rash like that after eating fresh pineapple. I figured it was the acid.

I remember from working in daycare lots of babies would get that just from drooling when they were teething too.
Hmmm...she is teething as well. I wonder if it's the acid irritating a drool rash?
Thanks!
#392 of 406 Old 09-07-2009, 12:08 AM

I need some help and I am hoping that you can help me on this thread. My son is 7 months old and he has maybe pooped 4 times in the last month. I asked his doctor about it when it first started and he said it was normal, now its been like this for a month so I took him to the ER on August 31st (his doctor is not very accessible not during office hours), they gave him a suppository took x-rays said he has colic and he needs gas drops daily and a suppository once a week if he doesn't go on his own. I have done BLW with him, the things he eats are yogurt (from yobaby), sweet potato, avocados, peaches, pears, carrots, prune juice, broccoli and cauliflower, egg yolks, green beans, and I think thats all so far, he has had orange (I did not know not to give it him and now he has hives ) and banana but he had a allergic reaction to it (I think, his anus was red, cracked and raw and looked very sore). So what I am I doing wrong? What do I need to change to get him on track? Thank you all in advance (I have asked for help on this forum before and the advice of prune juice worked, but only 1 time so far )
#393 of 406 Old 09-07-2009, 11:59 AM

is he plenty hydrated with water? is he still nursiing frequently?

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
#394 of 406 Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 AM

Oh, I'll most definitely be following this thread!

DD sort of forced us to do baby-led weaning, even though we had never heard of it. I got excited and bought dozens of jars of baby food when she was 6 months, and all but one or two of them ended up being passed down to my nephew-- she clamped her mouth shut and WOULD NOT let us feed her with a spoon. She barely ate any solids until 9 months, when she could pick them up better herself.

I started reading up on BLW a few weeks ago, and it just seems like common sense to me. I love the whole idea.

One question- what do you do when a baby shows signs of readiness well before six months? Do you just try to hold them off? DS is 4 months, 17 pounds, first teeth showing and sitting up on his own for brief periods. He grabbed a breadstick off my plate and brought it eagerly to his mouth at 3.5 months. I took it away, but it made me wonder how long I should hold him off. If it's truly baby-led, some babies will be ready earlier than others, right? Or am I just getting over-eager?

My plans are to hold him off until at least 5 months, and then maybe let him try some bananas or apples if he is grabbing for the food on my plate. I definitely don't want to risk food allergies by letting him eat too early...

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#395 of 406 Old 09-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennasmomma View Post
is he plenty hydrated with water? is he still nursiing frequently?
Sorry it took me so long to get back, I try to give him water every other day and prune juice the days with no water, should I give him water daily? Thank you

Oh and yes he still nurses all the time, and he always nurses after he eats solids.
#396 of 406 Old 09-08-2009, 05:28 PM

nursing after eating is helpful, but you should offer liquids after every meal of solids.

typically i nurse before her meal, then water after the meal.

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
#397 of 406 Old 09-08-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_mama11 View Post
Oh, I'll most definitely be following this thread!

DD sort of forced us to do baby-led weaning, even though we had never heard of it. I got excited and bought dozens of jars of baby food when she was 6 months, and all but one or two of them ended up being passed down to my nephew-- she clamped her mouth shut and WOULD NOT let us feed her with a spoon. She barely ate any solids until 9 months, when she could pick them up better herself.

I started reading up on BLW a few weeks ago, and it just seems like common sense to me. I love the whole idea.

One question- what do you do when a baby shows signs of readiness well before six months? Do you just try to hold them off? DS is 4 months, 17 pounds, first teeth showing and sitting up on his own for brief periods. He grabbed a breadstick off my plate and brought it eagerly to his mouth at 3.5 months. I took it away, but it made me wonder how long I should hold him off. If it's truly baby-led, some babies will be ready earlier than others, right? Or am I just getting over-eager?

My plans are to hold him off until at least 5 months, and then maybe let him try some bananas or apples if he is grabbing for the food on my plate. I definitely don't want to risk food allergies by letting him eat too early...
I'm in this situation with an 18.5-pounder. No teeth, but he bites hard! I let him play with food occasionally, like raw cucumber or carrot chunks and sometimes he'll eat a spoonful of cereal.

Zack relly likes to eat, and chews/swallows very nicely. At this point, I'm letting him play with benign vegetables and fruits once in a while. Actually, he doesn't really play -- he tries to eat it. So it's more like practice than play. I'm not to trying to feed him meals at this point, but it doesn't hurt to give him some practice getting things in his mouth and swallowing. He doesn't mind the spoon, either. What ever I hold out for him, he pulls my hand to his mouth. Or, he just picks it up himself and chomps. Fun!

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#398 of 406 Old 09-10-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo0685 View Post
I need some help and I am hoping that you can help me on this thread. My son is 7 months old and he has maybe pooped 4 times in the last month. I asked his doctor about it when it first started and he said it was normal, now its been like this for a month so I took him to the ER on August 31st (his doctor is not very accessible not during office hours), they gave him a suppository took x-rays said he has colic and he needs gas drops daily and a suppository once a week if he doesn't go on his own. I have done BLW with him, the things he eats are yogurt (from yobaby), sweet potato, avocados, peaches, pears, carrots, prune juice, broccoli and cauliflower, egg yolks, green beans, and I think thats all so far, he has had orange (I did not know not to give it him and now he has hives ) and banana but he had a allergic reaction to it (I think, his anus was red, cracked and raw and looked very sore). So what I am I doing wrong? What do I need to change to get him on track? Thank you all in advance (I have asked for help on this forum before and the advice of prune juice worked, but only 1 time so far )
My baby got REALLY constipated not too long after we first started solids.

I also did the prune juice and eliminated foods I'd heard were constipating (bananas, applesauce) and gave water.

I ended up taking him to the doctor (he too went many many days without a poop, was passing just a little rabbit pebble) and what *finally* worked (took a switch of docs! the first one said it was 'probably normal' since he seemed happy)

Miralax. The adult stuff, over the counter, but in a very tiny dose. (for my baby it was a teaspoon, the adult dose is like several tablespoons) It can be dissolved in any liquid. (I used pear juice because he wouldn't drink the water with it.)

I also had to use a suppository at first. But only once. (doc cautioned on only using them if nothing else was working and it had been a few days. They can get 'dependent' on that too, so they need to be allowed time to go without it.)

I continued to use the Miralax until he started pooping daily. I also kept bananas out of his diet until recently.

This happened at about 7 months. He is now 10 months old and the Miralax days are a good couple months behind us! He poops now usually twice a day.

My doc said it can take awhile to get it all regulated again, can be very easy for them to get constipated again after they've been badly constipated once.

This is what worked for my babe, of course you need to ask your doc.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#399 of 406 Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, hard to believe it's been 6 months since I started this thread! I put together a collection of photos and videos of our BLW experience. It has been such a huge success and joy for us. Hope you all find it works well for your family also.

Eleanor's BLW Journey

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#400 of 406 Old 09-14-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfry7 View Post
i haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet, so maybe this is covered, but i have a question.....we did not do blw with ds, but are going to with dd. she is 8 months old now, and i am concerned because due to some sensory issues, she doesn't put things in her mouth. it just never crosses her mind to do so. how will this affect her eating?? thanks!
I was reading thru this and noticed your post went unanswered.

My second son is SN and I think BLWing would of been so beneficial to his development. He has severe feeding issues now because we didn't offer table foods at an early (under 1) age.

I don't know what issues your dd is having, but I think it is vital to keep offering her foods to explore in a relaxed non-goal oriented way (ie, no "please take a bite" pleading.) In my son's feeding therapy, they let him play with foods- cold cooked spaghetti, chocolate pudding, etc. The idea is to get him to overcome texture issues with touching food.

What kind of reactions is she having to foods now?

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#401 of 406 Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 PM

How do people feel about giving dried fruit? Its been out easy on the go snack. (mango, apricot, apple, bananna)
#402 of 406 Old 10-02-2009, 11:46 PM

I think it depends on your little one and how well s/he has managed other chewy foods.

#403 of 406 Old 10-03-2009, 09:53 PM

Okay, I haven't read much of this yet, so I'm just kind of jumping in here. I apologize if I'm repeating something.

I just don't know if I can do this!!! I was so excited to start offering DS food. I started occasionally letting him taste things when he was about 5.5 months. He just turned 6 months a few days ago, so I've been offering a lot more food since then. Last night he gagged on a piece of cantaloupe. I know he was just gagging, and that's normal and okay, but for a second I really thought he was choking and it was terrifying. I wouldn't even know what to do if he was choking. I'm definitely going to take one of those classes before I offer him anything else that's not super soft. Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is, what's the deal with gagging? Is this going to happen regularly? If it does do you just get used to it? I just can't handle it. I'm so scared he's going to choke.

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#404 of 406 Old 10-17-2009, 11:06 PM

Reviving this thread again cause I have a question...I just realized yesterday that the majority of food my 13 mo old (who has 8 teeth now) eats are liquids! I've never offered pureed foods...just tiny bits of what we're having so she can select what she wants. She loudly lets us know she wants some of what we're having but she ends up spitting out about 99% of the tiny bits of food! She will happily slurp up bone broth, kefir, water and mashed kiwi but otherwise is EBF.

After I realized this, I did try mashed up bananas which she ate a few bites from happily off a spoon I guess the babyled weaning (letting them feed themselves) isn't for every baby??

So, has anyone else's baby been turned off by just about anything but purees?

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#405 of 406 Old 10-18-2009, 07:46 AM

I don't think that BLW means exclusive of cutlery. Our LO likes porridges, mashed avocados, mashed potatoes, etc. and so we give her a spoon loaded with that food that she can put in her mouth herself. We then offer her a second spoon when it seems like she is ready (when we offer the second spoon, she drops the first one, allowing us to load it up for the next round--that way there is no wrestling for the spoon). We figure she is controlling the pace of the eating, and putting it in her mouth herself (and thus working on her fine motor skills) so it's all good. We give her other things that she eats with her hands, too, but some things are just easier with a spoon.
#406 of 406 Old 10-18-2009, 03:34 PM

How are you offering solids? As I understand it and practice it, BLW is placing whole chunks of food infront of your LO and letting them "have at it"! There is nothing DS hasn't at least picked up and tasted even if he spits it out. We give him pureed prunes and oatmeal with a spoon but everything else is chunks of food we're eating.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page