2009 Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 406 Old 02-22-2009, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,
I have many questions, but I'll start with the ones coming to mind this late in the evening...

Can anyone offer more clarification the cooking vs. non-cooking of fruit. I had never heard of BLW as a term, but I suppose it pretty much matches the philosophy we decided to adopt for DS who is 6.5 months. We have been giving him raw fruit, (apple, pear, banana, avocado so far - he has also had broccoli steamed, and a puree of prunes as I am not sure how else to offer prunes at this point). He seems to be dealing just fine by gumming it all (he has no teeth yet). Are there any reasons beyond choking hazard to soft cook the fruit? Just want to make sure it is not too much for his digestion.

We started off a bit fast - feeding lots of foods right around his 6 month "birthday" a few weeks ago, but then I felt it was too much, too soon, too rushed so we have backed off a bit. Are most of you feeding every day? Always at a meal time, or more just when it feels right? We offer DS once a day generally (but not every day) but it doesn't necessarily coincide with our meals - is it better to do it when we are eating? Do any of you not feed every day? It just feels like a lot to go from EBF to a whole bunch of options but then maybe this is just me! (see below)

DS does seem to enjoy some purees - we have offered prunes and apples this way but he enjoys self feeding with a spoon - what is the philosophy behind not offering [I]any[I] purees? As long as he is feedng himself what is the objection?

Lastly, I have been feeling a bit sad, for lack of a better word, in a way about this whole new transition. Is this normal!? I know that this introduction of solids is totally normal and inevitable, and so far it is not interfering with BF at all, but I guess I am just feeling anxious that I am making good decisions, and also noting that it is the end of our EBF days. Anyone else felt this way or am I just crazy ?

Thanks all. Glad to have found this thread.
#62 of 406 Old 02-22-2009, 09:45 AM

Oh yeah, that's right, this thread exists.

So, anticipatory question, if there's no rash or anything within a few days of a new food is that food 100% okay from then on?

I don't anticipate allergies, but I don't want to be too laid back.
#63 of 406 Old 02-22-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzysMom View Post
I was comfortable offering them to DD raw around that time. I'd slice them somewhat thin but long (the eternal french fry shape).
We usually grate fresh apple and pears and givem to DD that way. She loves to play with the shreds and just gobbles the fruit up!

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
#64 of 406 Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post
When are y'all gonna offer meat to your baby (or when did you)? And how will you prepare the meat?
I have given DD some meat already. I wasn't planing on it, but I made homemade chicken soup a few weeks back and was shredding the cooked chicken meat for the soup and thought it would be the perfect texture for DD to try. I gave it to her along with some cooked whole carrots (also from the broth) and she absolutely devoured both.

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
#65 of 406 Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post
When are y'all gonna offer meat to your baby (or when did you)? And how will you prepare the meat?
DH and I are vegetarians. We were originally prepared to feed DH whatever was best for her nutrition needs - meat included - though I've never prepared meat and assumed a lot of learning was ahead of me. Our "board-certified holistically-oriented" pediatrician suggested that DD should be eating whatever we're eating at meals - as an authentic part of OUR family.

So, she has not head meat to date. Rapley, in BLW, suggests that meat can be given as a first food, if I remember correctly - and an excellent first food, as it is such an incredible source of iron and, (again, if I remember correctly), there is a chance that iron absorption from breastfmilk decreases once solid foods are introduced....therefore, iron-rich foods become very important.

Though DD has not had meat, her iron levels were above normal at her 9-month visit.

Do you have Gill Rapley's book?

Doula Mama to DD (5/08) and DS (5/10) who taught her, in their births, the true meaning of surrender.
#66 of 406 Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

Now 9 months, DD has continued to eat almost everything we're eating. She happily smeared a thickened tomato-based bean and pasta soup across her tray yesterday, cautiously picking through the mess to find the beans she wanted to "pincer grasp" and insert into her mouth. She seems to love legumes of all kinds.

We have been sporadically spoon-feeding her yoghurt which she initially devoured. Now, she initiates the end of her "yoghurt-feeding" at any given meal and I think we've discovered that she becomes super-stuffy and mucous-logged following her yoghurt consumption. She then has trouble nursing and it typically lasts through the night.

Could this be an "allergy?"

If so, might she be aware of her body's response and ending her yoghurt feeding as a result?

Doula Mama to DD (5/08) and DS (5/10) who taught her, in their births, the true meaning of surrender.
#67 of 406 Old 02-27-2009, 12:03 PM

I've ordered the book.

We tried broccoli this morning. She adored it and mangled it with her hands. She did put it in her mouth and I'm pretty sure at least a few of the little specks that make up the florets got into her.

Don't you just love that "what on earth??" face/try it again pattern?
#68 of 406 Old 02-27-2009, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I've ordered the book.

We tried broccoli this morning. She adored it and mangled it with her hands. She did put it in her mouth and I'm pretty sure at least a few of the little specks that make up the florets got into her.

Don't you just love that "what on earth??" face/try it again pattern?
Yes, I love that face! You may find the broccoli later in her diaper.

I made a pot rost this week and gave dd her first meat. I gave her a 1/8" slice, cut into "sticks" and she loved sucking on them and chewing on it. She also seems to enjoy cooked carrot sticks.

PP, I have given dd raw and poached apple slices. She seems to like both.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#69 of 406 Old 02-28-2009, 02:21 PM

Ok, we are ready to try some solids! I think I would like to start with avocado. But I'm worried that it may be too slippery. Should I mush it up first, or just give some slices? Then should i let DD just play with it, bring it to her mouth, etc? I know that BLW discourages spoon feeding...

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has some "first timer" tips for us. DD and I are both beginners here!

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
#70 of 406 Old 02-28-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennasmomma View Post
Ok, we are ready to try some solids! I think I would like to start with avocado. But I'm worried that it may be too slippery. Should I mush it up first, or just give some slices? Then should i let DD just play with it, bring it to her mouth, etc? I know that BLW discourages spoon feeding...
Give your LO a wedge of avocado with the skin left on – it provides a "handle" so they can hang onto it. Don't worry if very little seems to make it into the baby though – it's just for fun at first.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#71 of 406 Old 02-28-2009, 03:47 PM

i coated a slice of avocado in crushed up rice cake (can't remember where i read this tip) to make it more easily handled. definitely helped some but it's a tricky food to manage!
#72 of 406 Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 PM

We've had good progress over the past month. A PP gave the tip of black beans, and they've been a big hit for our DS! We've also done navy beans and chick peas. It was a big relief to me as the only things he would reliably eat prior to these were Os and rice cakes.

We still offer fruit at breakfast and veg for lunch and dinner, but it's hit and miss. Only broccoli and sweet potato fries are interesting (finally gave up on making the latter, I found some organic frozen ones at my grocer and it's about a million times easier to pop a few in the toaster LOL).

How is everyone else doing?
#73 of 406 Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Banned

DD is over a year now. She loves fruit. And meat. She'll eat beans and lentils happily. She likes potatoes and sweet potatoes baked in the oven (with lots of oil - well, she needs it, my skinny little one!). She will eat cucumber sticks. Oh, and she eats natural yoghurt, if it has plenty of grated or mashed fruit in it, and sometimes oatmeal porridge, if we mix in banana. But anything she doesn't want gets dropped down the side or deposited in our hands: most veges, avocado (bummer!), rice, pasta, bread, crackers... The only "bread-like"thing she'll eat is home-made (sugar-free) muffins - but that's just because they contain over a cup of grated carrots and are very sweet and juicy!

And I was adamant not to raise a picky eater!
#74 of 406 Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 PM

We have successfully entered the world of solids! We ended up starting with sweet potato fries, which she really didn't have success in eating that way so I ended up mashing them with a fork and touch of breast milk. That worked better, but when she pooped them out they were pretty much undigested. Then we tried avocado. With the peel on she got a little down, but did much better with it smooshed up with breast milk, and it seemed to digest great. Today we tried some banana. I cut off the bottom of a banana, peeled it down but left the end as the handle, and she was great at gnawing off bits of it! I was really impressed! That was just today so hopefully it digests well.

DD is loving it. So far I'm just doing the one try a day. When did you/will you move to more than one meal a day? (DD is 6.5 months old)

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
#75 of 406 Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 AM

Lina got to sit on our laps and have fun with dinner(s) this weekend. She was : about hummus and eggs and bagels and kugel and lasagna and probably swallowed all of an eighth teaspoon of anything.
#76 of 406 Old 03-11-2009, 02:22 AM

Hi

I did Gerber-schedule, rice cereal, jars with DS1 now 4. A fairly brief stint though as I remember it, because I never did "junior foods"--I remember starting stuff like mashed avocado (I really thought i HAD to spoon-feed LOL) and toast bits at about 7 months. (started cereal at 5)

DD (now 2) I did some spoon feeding and fork-mashing. I think I might have bought a jar of prunes once when I thought she was constipated other than that there were NO jars in our house. And I did a whole lot more self-feed (the avocado, bananas, stuff like that were in bits on her tray for her to pick up, lol
I also didn't stick as strictly to allergy-avoidance and stuff like that, she ate things like guacamole and chicken-curry crockpot stew early LOL. (that was a cooking experiment one of those days when I opened the fridge and went hmmmm I have chicken..carrot..potato...and opened the cabinet and dumped whatever sounded good in the pot...)

I still did cereal early but it wasn't Gerber.

DS2 I will definently do a lot more like DD...but I think this time even more self-feed, spoon feed only soups, yogurt, anything that doesn't stick in a clump that we eat with a spoon. (in other words, I think he could self feed a clump of mashed potatoes, for example, but yogurt would be harder and well, there's a line I draw for mess-factor, )

I have a theory about introducing solid food---if they can't eat it in a form that's easily recognizable and commonly served to adults, then they probably are not ready to eat that food. (If you can chew it, you are likely ready to digest it.)

and that purees don't teach anything---if the point of solids is to learn how to eat food, then give food that requires learning how to eat food, as in how to chew. How to bite off pieces (when appropriate developmentally). Learning to like the different textures. Learning to like what your family eats. (I don't know too many people who eat strained peas or plain, cooked spinach for example. I do know lots of people who eat spinach on pizza, in lasagna, raw in salads.....you get the idea.)
in other words I think there is little point to getting your kid to eat something (like plain spinach) that you don't serve.

I don't know so far my theory has not steered me wrong. DD was 6 months two summers ago, and one of her first absolute favorite foods was sucking on a piece of watermelon! didn't hurt her a bit---I just had to hold it to keep her from getting a big chunk in her mouth. and she LOVES spicy stuff, ethnic foods, anything like that. actually what she does NOT eat is your typical "American kid" fare.....lol

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#77 of 406 Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 AM

Wow...we're almost 9 months here. Where does the time go? I'm feeling a little guilty because introducing food is going sooo slowly. With two babies and two older children I'm trying to find time to get them seated, prepare something and deal with the mess. I try for once/day but sometimes we miss a day.

Yesterday I found some organic applesauce kicking around so I thought I would try that - even though it was spoon fed. Baby ds was not a fan but baby dd was hilarious. She would hold her little fists up beside her head, open her mouth and frantically move her head around so I could get the spoon in as fast as I could. Of course then I would miss her mouth because she was moving around so much. But...man....she gobbled that stuff right up . She also really enjoyed the watermelon wedge we gave her the other day. She would suck on it and any time she got a piece she would just spit it out.

So, far baby ds likes peas although he doesn't really eat them. He just moves them around in his mouth and then spits them out.

I am looking forward to the summer with all the yummy, FRESH, fruits and veggies. They will be 1 in June which is perfect timing to enjoy all the fresh stuff. Not to mention being able to eat outside to minimize the mess in the kitchen!

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#78 of 406 Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 AM

Just a little update. Sweet potrato fries and parsnip fries are a big hit here. I toss them in a little olive oil and bake them. DD loves them and actually eats them. Broccoli was a no go. She just was not interested. We also offered bits of our salad while dining out. She didn't seem to want the the cucumber and lettuce at all. LOL. I love that I can be relaxed with feeding her and let her choose to eat or not eat at her own pace.

''''

#79 of 406 Old 03-11-2009, 06:25 PM

What's your weirdest successful food? So far, ours is a hunk of raw onion. Just a rectangle from one layer of the onion. She picked that right up off her plate and gnawed away.
#80 of 406 Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 AM

Hi Mommas..may I join in? DD is almost 7 months and completely different from her big brother (now 2). He'd steal my food off the plate at 5 months and she is just not interested in eating at all. She loves to sit at the table with us, making chewing movements with her mouth and looking at the forks and spoons going back and forth but she won't keep anything in her mouth. I've only tried banana so far and a tiny bit of applesauce today. It comes right back out with a big gag and some weird noises. I guess she needs a little longer.

joy.gif
#81 of 406 Old 03-12-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
What's your weirdest successful food? So far, ours is a hunk of raw onion. Just a rectangle from one layer of the onion. She picked that right up off her plate and gnawed away.
A dill pickle. Probably not the best food to offer (salt, salt, salt) but DD (6 months at the time) grabbed it off my place and devoured it!

Others?

#82 of 406 Old 03-12-2009, 02:16 PM

Subbing! DD will be 6 months in just a few short weeks and I'm soaking it all in!:

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#83 of 406 Old 03-12-2009, 04:54 PM

Avocado caused : I left it in the peel, but she popped it off the peel soo fast and then had an enjoyable half hour trying to get the pieces to her mouth.

I've really got to get some pictures of all this.
#84 of 406 Old 03-13-2009, 06:56 AM

I am very interested in doing BLW when DS turns 6 months or so.
What are some of the books I should get for recipes and things aside from the Rapley book?
Also, I have heard that lamb is a great first meat (sweeter than other meats and high in iron). Any good lamb recipes for babies to share?

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#85 of 406 Old 03-13-2009, 07:22 PM

Hello all!

We've just had our first few days of solids (DD turned 6 months old on monday). We've been following Rapley's method loosely. Dh had bought a jar of organic apple and blackcurrent sauce before we discovered Rapley and didn't want to waste it, so we've offered DD that, but the way we do it is that we just put a little it on a spoon and then hold it in front of her. A sort of hybrid method? Anyway, she will almost always grab the spoon and put it in her mouth (at various random angles, and some sauce usually disappears en route!) and she's already getting quite expert at sucking everything off it.

Since she's seemed to love the sauce so much, we've also tried organic yogurt the same way, which she liked too, and yesterday we were eating dahl (spicy lentil stew) with quinoa and I offered that to her on a spoon, and she liked that too! Very exciting. I hope this isn't cheating though - I don't want to put her off chewable stuff by offering too many purees/mushy foods. We would never just shove them into her mouth mind you, we always let her be in charge of where the spoon ends up.

I've also offered steamed broccoli, carrot and potato, slices of raw apple and chunks of banana. She picks them up and they get as far as her mouth, and she does some sucking and gumming, but little of any actually gets swallowed. She's had a little organic rice cake and bread too (no allergies in my family luckily, so we decided to chance it).

I'd been feeling a little sad about moving past the EBF, but it's just a real pleasure to see her having such a great time at meals. We already couldn't imagine her not being at the table with us. She's having such a great time and her delight is infectious.
#86 of 406 Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
I am very interested in doing BLW when DS turns 6 months or so.
What are some of the books I should get for recipes and things aside from the Rapley book?
Also, I have heard that lamb is a great first meat (sweeter than other meats and high in iron). Any good lamb recipes for babies to share?
The Rapley book only has recipes for some fun dips and suggestions for things babies might enjoy dipping into things.

But she does offer some cooking advice for cooking for your baby, from which I give you
"Lamb for your BLW Baby"
Take favorite lamb recipe
Set aside small portion of lamb.
Prepare main portion as normal.
Prepare small portion without ingredients containing salt.
Spend meal trying to convince baby that his/her portion of lamb is just as fun as your portion.
Decide to learn to like lamb without salt.
#87 of 406 Old 03-14-2009, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son was not interested in solids until 7.5 months. We mainly just fed him whatever we were eating. If I was worried about choking, I put it in one of those little mesh feeder bags and he got the food out of it. One of my favorite baby photos is of him and dad each holding and eating a nectarine.

My daughter wanted solids at 4.5 months. First thing she stole and put in her mouth was a piece of pizza. I just wasn't ready for her to have solids that young. I wanted her to have only breastmilk until 6 months. However, by 5.5 months it was apparent that she disagreed with me. I sliced an avocado and fed it to her. Next morning I held a banana while she ate it. There was no sampling phase for her. Within a couple days dinner was half an avocado.

She is adopted and we know nothing about the biological father, so I have been cautious about what foods to offer her. I am particularly leary of wheat. Plus, she just seemed too little for all of this. There is a huge difference between a 5.5 month old and a 7.5 month old when they first want solids.

She is now 7 months and I am ready to offer her more foods. I'm glad I found this thread because it reminded me to let her do more self-feeding. We have been feeding her banana, applesauce, egg yolk, avocado, peas, and a few other random things. The main thing she self feeds is rice cakes. I came here in search of other ideas and am glad to have found the Rapley book. I just ordered it.

I think tomorrow I will give her the whole banana and see if she will self-feed.

It is kind of important that she not cut back on how much she eats. I was able to build up a good milk supply, but I do need to supplement some with donor milk. Since she started solids, the amount I need to use has decreased. I have enough milk to get her through to a year, perhaps longer, if she keeps up solids as much as she's been eating them so far.

I look forward to more ideas on foods I can let her self feed.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#88 of 406 Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
"Lamb for your BLW Baby"
Take favorite lamb recipe
Set aside small portion of lamb.
Prepare main portion as normal.
Prepare small portion without ingredients containing salt.
Spend meal trying to convince baby that his/her portion of lamb is just as fun as your portion.
Decide to learn to like lamb without salt.
:
#89 of 406 Old 03-14-2009, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

DD went to town on black beans this week. She had the cutest way of holding themto feed herself. She sort of balanced one on the top of her index finger, using her thumb to support it and placed it in her mouth. She ate a lot of them! I found the skins in her diaper the next morning....

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#90 of 406 Old 03-14-2009, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So lots of folks have mentioned sweet potato fries. However, no one has said how to make them. I'm sure there's more than one way. Can someone(s) tell how you make them.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page