2009 Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 406 Old 04-10-2009, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think banana can be binding. I've also heard that avocados can be hard to digest. DD had banana and held poo in for 4 days -- though it wasn't hard for her when it was ready to come out. But it was the longest she EVER went b/w poo's.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#122 of 406 Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post
I feed him banana, pear, blueberry, avocado, rye toast, broccolli....

I think those foods should be non constipating...
Well there was a bit of a difference since it becomes more solid compared to all liquid BM poop, so it might feel strange to him. Bananas are definitely constipating. Pear and blueberry should be a laxative effect, I think the others are in the middle.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#123 of 406 Old 04-10-2009, 04:28 PM

I'm joing the ranks. I ordered and read Baby Led Weaning and definitely enjoyed it. DS will be 6 months in 1 1/2 weeks and is showing all the signs of interest in food. Right now I'm just giving him spoons, etc to play with at dinner. While it keeps him busy, he often stops and stares at us making chomping noises with his gums. LOL.

I'm still holding off until the 6 month mark. I think that its harder to keep DH at bay though, not DS.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#124 of 406 Old 04-11-2009, 02:34 AM

Haven't posted in a long while on MDC but we got our Tripp Trapp chair and our copy of Baby Led Weaning both on the same day yesterday.
Baby is now almost 6 months minus a week or so and so tonight for dinner, we put him in his chair at the table.:
He was so bewildered and excited, kept looking from one of us to the other and smiling.
Finally he picked up the cucumber sticks and the thick apple slices and played and seemed to enjoy the food. He also had a few sips from his Born Free sippy cup of water for the first time ever and that was thrilling to him.
All in all, a great first dinner experience.
I want to make him some sweet potato fingers to eat next.
The book is a nice resource...very basic and accessible but gave me the confidence we needed to begin.
His tongue thrust is gone and his pincher grasp is good, sitting up so well and he seemed to like sitting with us.
We put a placemat for him along with a rubber Kiddopotomus mat (with catch tray) in front of him. The catch tray caught a bunch of apple so I recommend this one.
Oh yes, I took a bunch of pictures too.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#125 of 406 Old 04-11-2009, 08:40 PM

DD tried matzoh ball and brisket this weekend! woohoo! we had tried chicken previously and she was not interested, but today she also ate some chicken! :

we're going to try black beans and mango next, i think. she's finally gotten the hang of her pincer grasp so it's going a lot more smoothly.

i feel much better because she really wasn't all that interested only a few weeks ago. but things seem to be going at a much faster pace now. i guess she is finally ready!

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
#126 of 406 Old 04-23-2009, 02:11 PM

How are all the baby led babies doing? This thread hasn't received much action lately.

I'm wondering at what age you introduced or plan to introduce:

wheat
soy
dairy

DS is 11 months and I haven't knowingly introduced these yet, as we've been doing some food eliminations for mama due to suspected food allergies for babe. (no improvements but I lost 20 lbs LOL). Although 2 weeks ago DS found DDs discarded veggie (soy) ham and cheese sandwich on the dining room floor and had a few good chews!
#127 of 406 Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 PM

We just have to hold her off/distract her another couple of weeks here... Then the fun eating can begin! I'm planning to do BLW and dd is acting SOOOO ready but I want to wait until she is the full 6 months. I have cheated slightly and given here things that she can teeth/gum on and get a little flavor but no food (raw celery stalks are a favorite) so we can have dinner in (slight) peace.

Dh and I have been having many discussions about the "perfect" first food for BLW. We're leaning towards very ripe avocado slices or maybe yam... Any other ideas?
#128 of 406 Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM

I think avocado and sweet potato/yam are a great place to start.

DD is now almost 8 months and our latest successful food was zucchini. I sliced it in to long skinny slices, and boiled them a little bit to soften the skin. She loves feeding them to herself! But she often gets too many bites in her mouth so we just take the zucchini stick away until she can swallow what she bit off. Her pincer grasp is getting better all the time so when we give back the rest of the stick she is able to manage it pretty well.

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
#129 of 406 Old 04-23-2009, 10:47 PM

I'm still giving DD some opportunities, but she's really not interested. I gave her some chunks of cooked butternut squash the other day. She mostly likes to play with it by squishing it between her fingers. The texture must be fun. It's funny that anything and everything else (socks, paper, toys, electrical cords) will go in her mouth, but she won't put food in her mouth.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#130 of 406 Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 AM

We shared oatmeal w/ cinnamon and an apple for lunch today. Such a mess! And that was with firmly cooked oatmeal, cooked extra long then left to sit before eating, I think it's like oatmeal cake that way.

Lina's new kick is to want to have food offered to her with my spoon. And then she takes it off the spoon with her hand. Fortunately, for goopier things she's willing to just guide the spoon into her mouth.

(____)---- spoon
(_ How much I fill the spoon when I offer her something goopy: less than a baby spoon can hold
(__ How far she puts it into her mouth
( How much of the stuff she actually takes off the spoon no matter how much I put on it.

And she takes the spoon into her mouth much more slowly than I would've put it into her mouth if I ever fed her with a spoon.

I was just noticing this today. Spoon-feeding must feed babies waaaaaayyy too fast.
#131 of 406 Old 04-24-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpurnia View Post
does anyone have any suggestions for finger foods for a baby that loves crunchy/dry stuff? (not texture averse i don't think since she will also eat banana, pear, pureed fruit (horrors!) etc) she LOVES toast, oatcake, ricecakes, "tomato puff" things, cheese straws, all that sort of thing. i made v crispy potato cakes in the oven the other day, but i'm at a bit of a loss as to what to offer her. i don't like her having too much grain in her intake.
Could you make other crispy cakes? Like beans, squashes?

Dried apple slices, cut very thin those are nice and crunchy.
#132 of 406 Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ended up ordering a copy of BLW. It's a very accessible book but I find it hard to find time to read it. I'm planning to start this weekend. I was a bit surprised by the recommendation to offer them a variety of food right from the start.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#133 of 406 Old 04-24-2009, 04:58 PM

I've been practicing BLW with my DD for a month now. She is 8 months old. She has eaten
  • Banana
  • Avacado
  • Sweet Potato
  • Peas
  • Green Beans
  • Carrots
  • Spinach (whole leaf)
  • Mango
  • Papaya
  • Strawberries (her favorite)
  • Winter Squash
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Watermelon
  • Cantelope
  • Honeydew Melon
  • Brown Rice (steamed)
  • Oatmeal
  • Ham

I love letting her feed herself. She really gets so eager when I put her in her highchair. She opens her mouth and starts flapping her arms when she see's me coming with food. Its a lot of fun.
#134 of 406 Old 04-24-2009, 08:25 PM

I'm new to this thread and am starting to explore BLW for my dd. She's just 5 months, so I'm not planning on starting until 6, but I do have a few questions for you all.

1) We tend to eat local seasonal foods and neither bananas nor avocados fall into that category for us. Sweet potatoes might still be around in May when she turns 6 mo, but they're not really in season either. For those that are feeding seasonally/locally what first foods are you introducing? (We're in Oregon FWIW).

2) For those with a trip trapp chair, what do you put on the table to protect it?

Thanks!

Jane: mama to 3 angels and The Champ(11/08) and Baby Z appearing in December

#135 of 406 Old 04-24-2009, 09:55 PM

Green beans'll probably be available in a month in Oregon. Hmm, that's kind of a hard problem since leafy greens are the early ones and those are more difficult for little ones to manage.

Really, anything that can be made into a knob on a chip shape will do. We did broccoli first with Lina. She loved asparagus when it came into season, but I had to nibble off the outer skin (surprisingly good, btw) before she could get any of it into her mouth and that's after she'd had a month of practicing.
#136 of 406 Old 04-25-2009, 02:39 PM

We had roasted red pepper and tomato soup for lunch today. Such a mess! Lina was in and wanted to :.

I started off doing it like yogurt or a thick soup, I take a spoonful, she gets the spoon with a smaller amount pre-loaded. That really didn't work and I didn't feel confident letting her have the spoon in case she tipped it.

Next I just dipped the spoon in to lightly coat it in the soup and let her have at it while I drank from the bowl. Much better. I just kept aware of what she was doing with the spoon so I could tell when she needed it refreshed with more soup or grab it when she was about to drop it on the floor.
#137 of 406 Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 PM

Question for the BTDT mamas, how/when did working with a spoon or other dipper happen for you and your LOs?
#138 of 406 Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post
I ended up ordering a copy of BLW. It's a very accessible book but I find it hard to find time to read it. I'm planning to start this weekend. I was a bit surprised by the recommendation to offer them a variety of food right from the start.

I'm really looking forward to it.
That is interesting! Did all of you have success with starting with a variety of foods right from the start? What is the reasoning in BLW for that approach? -Heidi
#139 of 406 Old 04-26-2009, 05:52 PM

Started last night. He got some broccoli, sweet potato "fries" and a strip of steak. Hadn't really planned on the steak but figured why not. He seemed to like the steak most of all. The broccoli and sweet potato also got gummed quite a bit. Got some adorable pictures of him gumming on a broccoli stalk.

This morning during breakfast, he got banana and avocado. He didn't seem too impressed. Perhaps he wasn't into the mushier textures.

Heidi - The reasoning is that since BLW isn't introduced until 6 months that the chances of allergies are lower to start off with since the digestive system is mature and ready to handle food. Also BLW babies will only eat tiny amounts at first which decreases the chance of digestive issues. It does mention that if you have food allergies in your family, you may want to be more cautious with potentially allergic foods.

ribbonpb.gif
#140 of 406 Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 PM

We're doing BLW for our 8 month old daughter. She's been self feeding since about 6 months, but is still pretty much exclusively breastfed. My question is for mamas who have done BLW before. When did your baby cut out nursing? I want to nurse Dd at least until she's 2, we might even CLW. I'm concerned with early weaning with the introduction of solids. Any advice would be appreciated or I'd love to hear some personal experiences that would put my mind at ease. thanks

Blissfully happy and devoted wife to my best friend and anamored by my sweet baby girls, DD1 (8/8/08) and DD2 (06-17-11). Proud attached, tandem breastfeeding, baby-wearing, blw mama.

#141 of 406 Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofadella View Post
We're doing BLW for our 8 month old daughter. She's been self feeding since about 6 months, but is still pretty much exclusively breastfed. My question is for mamas who have done BLW before. When did your baby cut out nursing? I want to nurse Dd at least until she's 2, we might even CLW. I'm concerned with early weaning with the introduction of solids. Any advice would be appreciated or I'd love to hear some personal experiences that would put my mind at ease. thanks
I loosely followed BLW with my first DS. He nursed until he was 3. We would have days where thats all he wanted to do. I still don't give my newest DD 3 solid meals a day. So most of her nutrition is still breastmilk. (She's 8 months) I am not a structured person though, so YYMV. I would rather offer her some of what I'm eating (healthy of course) than come up with a whole other menu for her.
#142 of 406 Old 04-28-2009, 05:12 PM

Had a scary experience at lunch today. My littly guy was happily gumming at a slice of pear. He must have gotten a chunk off and he gagged on it. Turning red and coughing and all. Freaked me right out for a few minutes. I'm glad I have the BLW book because that reassured me. Also remembering a friend tells me that her mash fed baby has gagged a few times eased my mind.

He was eager to continue working over the pear afterwards so he wasn't as tramatized as I was.

We had a fun diaper this morning. A chunk of tomato came out the same way it went in. :

ribbonpb.gif
#143 of 406 Old 04-28-2009, 05:19 PM

My babe has gagged on avocado. It made her regurgitate some breastmilk since she had just nursed. Kind of scary, but I think it's part of learning to eat.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#144 of 406 Old 04-28-2009, 06:17 PM

It's funny about the gagging – it only happens to my son when I try to spoonfeed him purees.
I started with BLW, got worried that at eight months he wasn't eating anything so I started trying purees. It made him gag and have massive pukes every.single.time. Not to mention the fact that he had zero interest in eating the purees and pushed it out of his mouth.
So I finally got the BLW book and am feeling renewed confidence that he will eat when he's ready. He actually ate a teeny bit of pork chop, sweet potato and green bean last night and gnawed on an apple and cheese at lunch.
We're both MUCH happier.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#145 of 406 Old 04-30-2009, 02:24 PM

DD gags a lot but it's because she's way too excited about feeding herself, and doesn't finish chewing/swallowing what's in her mouth before shoveling more food in. so we need to watch her closely to make sure her mouth is empty before offering more. and i remind her to chew which she then mimics, so it's a work in progress.

new foods this past week:
asparagus
cantelope
quinoa cake
tilapia
barley

things have gotten much much easier now that her pincer grasp has been mastered. she's quite the pro now!

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
#146 of 406 Old 04-30-2009, 05:28 PM

Yesterday morning, I changed DD's diaper and saw what I thought were peas in it. But I had never offered her peas, so me and DH were wondering what could this have been??? Then I remembered I had given her a sugar snap pea to munch on in the car from our take out when she was upset on Sunday night, and had bit off the end so that she could get the flavor better. She must have squeezed out the peas and eaten them! Little booger never even let on that she swallowed anything!

Last night she tried steamed broccoli. What a mess! I don't think she cared for the mess, she's too much of a neat eater. But more got down the hatch than I thought. This morning I opened her diaper after a poo, and little single florets were everywhere! I think it's hilarious, and great that she's able to eat with us!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#147 of 406 Old 05-01-2009, 09:03 AM

We're going to the store today to pick up some avacado for soon to be 7 month DD. I can't wait! It'll be her first food (except for a leaf we found in her diaper the other day). Thanks for all the information :-)

On a side note I hate trying to explain this to other moms. I feel like they think I'm either being cheap and not wanting to buy baby food, or I'm being lazy, not wanting to make my own baby food, or I'm just being neglegent and not doing what's best for my baby ("my son gagged on table food at 10 months!- in repsonse to me saying what we're starting with). I know it shouldn't bother me (and I should be use to it by now with all these alternative parenting decisions we've made) but I still want to scream, "I'm not a bad mommy! I really am doing what's best!!"

Jessie, wife to Timmy and mother to a beautiful daughter, Fiery on 10.6.09. Expecting my next beauty in March '10!:::
#148 of 406 Old 05-01-2009, 04:59 PM

"Yes, it's really common for older babies who've been fed purees to have problems with table foods. That must have been scary for you."
#149 of 406 Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 PM

You know, I don't think I've encountered other moms IRL doing BLW. I know some moms who cloth diaper, babywear and even a few ECers. But I've mostly heard about homemade purees/mashes. I do try to spread the word about BLW.

ribbonpb.gif
#150 of 406 Old 05-02-2009, 01:21 AM

I am really enjoying baby led eating with my DS, but I realize it's not for every family, or even for every child. I tried it with DD and she wasn't into it at all, just wanted me to feed her (still does sometimes too, at 3!).

I don't feel it's a superior form of feeding your LO, but it's sure more fun (and more messy!), and it works for our family. In fact, sometimes I think DD got the healthier end of the stick in the early days, from all those fabulous organic purees I whipped up. DS often ends up with bits from my plate - french fries or pizza crusts. I always start the meal by offering yummy steamed organic veggies, but he's way more interest in the junk I sometimes end up eating. (note to self: start eating healthier food! )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page