2009 Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since the old thread is so long and a lot of those babies are nearing toddlerhood, I thought I'd start a new thread for mom's. Post your BLW questions, offer your BLW experiences and advice! :

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

My intro:

My dd will be 6 months old tomorrow (!! where did the time go?!) and I plan on BLWing with her. She is my third child and I have moved to solids both ways: the standard AAP route and the BLW route.

My oldest son did BLW before I knew anything about BLW. LOL He just didn't want runny baby food, absolutely refused to have anything to do with it or momma mashed foods. When he was 9 ish months old he started sampling table foods and gradually tranisitoned himself. His table food eating never impared his breastfeeding- in fact he didn't self wean till he was 5. He has a very healthy appitite and love of fruits and veggies. I am very happy with how his transition worked out.

My second son has Down syndrome and was receiving home-based therapy as an infant. His speech/occupational therapist insisted that we start with rice cereal and other commercially prepared baby foods as she said it was "important" to make sure he had a regulated texture to learn from. It was against my every belief, but I felt at the time that I didn't know enough about Ds to know if she was right or not. I trusted her advice and followed the AAP feeding schedule. I like to call it the Gerber Schedule :P This path completely backfired on us. He became texture adverse and phsycologically dependant on those evil little jars. We have spent the past 3 years trying to unlearn this behavior and make the transistion to table foods. It has been an emotional and difficult road for him and our family.

I began reading about the Rapley book before my dd was born and realized that it was a philosophy that I agreed with. I am so glad to have the research available to support me!

As part of my son's feeding therapy, I am going to include him in my BLW time with my dd. I am hoping that the two of them can BLW together and that we can all enjoy the experience.

My dd is sitting independently, has 2 teeth, picks up objects and brings them to her mouth and shows a lot of interest in our food. Yesterday I decided to kick off our adventure and offered both kids a banana. I gave Eleanor 3 baby palm size pieces to play with and gave Sean the remaining banana in the skin, peeled open. He wanted to hold it and eat it like his older brother.

Sean took several tiny bites of his banana, chewed and swallowed them. Eleanor played with her pieces and brought them to her mouth a couple of times, licking and sucking on them before dropping them. They both enjoyed playing with their snack!

At this time, I plan on giving them a food to try once a day, every other day for a week before trying a new food.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:02 PM

DD is 6 months old and seemed to be showing interest in food. So we set up the high chair and gave her a few pieces of ripe banana. I handed her one and when she put it to her mouth she got this sick/disgusted look on her face and dropped it. She then procedded to gnaw on the high chair tray. Never touhing the banana again. I offered her another piece more informally the next day, same look. I guess she is not ready. It was hilarious to watch, though. We will wait for a while and then offer banana again or maybe avocado or sweet potato. I ordered the Gill Rapley book. I doubt I will follow the method exactly, but I am interestd to see what it says.

''''

Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Let us allow this thread to provide support to those who have begun or are beginning the practices of self-feeding/baby-led weaning (BLW) this winter.

We began allowing DD to play/explore/eat foods on her own on her 6-month birthday in November (2008) and we have thoroughly enjoyed this journey (as have her grandparents who watch her 3-days/week and who were extremely cautious and doubtful....). We have been met with success! However, sharing the experiences (and questions) with others would feel hugely supportive for me.

So, here we begin.

Doula Mama to DD (5/08) and DS (5/10) who taught her, in their births, the true meaning of surrender.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 PM

My daughter didn't like bananas until last week (9 months). It must have been a taste/texture thing. Wouldn't stop me from trying a different food, although I'd put it on the tray and make her pick it up

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 PM

My son wasn't too interested in foods until he was 7 months, but now at 16 months he eats like a pro. He also eats EVERYTHING under the sun that's offered to him! Our family has been delighted by him eating "real" food from the get-go. They were all sort of under the impression that babies HAD to eat "baby food". Now they see how silly they were!

It's a super easy process, especially since your daughter is leading the way and setting her own pace.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 PM

Subbing... we started BLW with DS when he was a little over 7 months (beginning of December). We suspect he is sensitive to dairy and soy. I eliminated those from my diet in July/August and will stay off them at least until his birthday, and so will he.

However, we are not following a 4 day rule. With my DD, we made all her food (purees), followed a very strict schedule, etc. I am enjoying how it is less of a science project with DS. He did gag some in the beginning and still does occasionally, but he is making progress and learning how to handle food in his mouth. He consistently eats with us at dinner, but I am thinking it might be time to increase that to offering him something at another meal.

DH has been extremely supportive and keeps saying how it just feels so right to him to do it this way. My parents don't get it and don't respect it. It makes me sad that I feel like I can't let my mom have some fun with feeding him, but she is prone to do things like put a spoonful of applesauce in his barely open mouth and use his lips to rake it off. He would much rather feed himself and get his hands involved and my mom can't deal with the mess. I love BLW though - I love having the responsibility of how much he eats taken off of me and put solely on him, with no real way for me to interfere.

The most recent new thing we tried was blueberries, and he really enjoys them. I cut them into halves or fourths, though - some were not as ripe and I was worried about giving them to him whole. Wouldn't a whole blueberry be kind of like a grape as far as a choking hazard?

I can't find the BLW book by Rapley anywhere locally but I would like to order it. For those of you who have it, does it still make sense to get it now that we're 2 months into starting solids?

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Old 02-04-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I started a new blw thread earlier today. Can a mod merge these, please?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

EzzysMom: I thought about starting with avacodo but didn't have one at home, so went with banana. That will be our next food.

Dana: our babies are a week apart! I ordered the book last night, can't wait to get it.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:27 PM

It's so funny to watch my daughter eat! I usually give her 2-4 things to pick from, and she picks up and eats things and I replenish whatever she's eaten. Last night she quite literally went through 3/4ths of an avocado! Only a few pieces slipped through to the floor. I just kept giving her more, and she just kept eating it! She ignored her favorite food (broccoli) and just kept eating the avocado. (Then I had none left for my chips, sniff sniff) Last week she just threw the avocado on the floor. We'll see what happens at lunch today, I'll have to go buy more avocado.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM

Subbing! DD is just over 7 months so she's been trying out finger foods for about a month now. She's still not eating a whole lot but who cares! She loves it and it makes life so much easier being able to put her in the tripp trapp chair and let us all enjoy a meal at the table together.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 PM

DD has been self fedding for about a month and a half. I always nurse her before giving her solids so she does not eat a whole lot at any one time. She loves it and so do we. Her favorite food is black beans. To date she has eaten; banana, avocado, squash, zuccini (?), carrots, green beans, broccoli, onion, bell peppers, black beans, apple and turkey.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM

nak

i posted at the end of the old (fall) thread and am happy there's a new thread....

ds is 6 months and 1 week. he's had apple, avocado, pear, banana and, last night a bit o' sweet potato. i've offered them in a variety of ways. apple i've offered as a wedge with some skin on and ds has enjoyed sucking and gumming it (no teeth yet!). he's gotten small pieces off and gotten gaggy. avocado i offered as a wedge with some peel on for easy gripping (a suggestion i found here) - but a piece of peel ended up coming off in his mouth (!!)...i fished it out and probaby will stay peel-less for a while. i've also offered avocado in small cubes and also mashed on mommy's finger. ds seems to like it. banana has gotten gaggy-face, gagging-leading-to-spitting-up, but also coming-back-for-more. pear went over well and small pieces of a really ripe wedge were swallowed pretty easily.

my understanding is that babies will often make "oooo" faces and get gaggy with new foods and that it's not necessarily reflective of not liking a particular food. also, they say, about kids and food, that sometimes you need to offer something at least 10 times before a kid will love it.

i bought and read the rapley book a couple weeks ago. i think i may end up doing a mix of chunks and purees (or kinda pureed) foods at first. i understand about the gag reflex slowly making its way toward the back of the mouth and that a baby will gag with food relatively forward in the mouth...but, their mouths are not that deep to begin with, so even gagging near the front of the mouth still seems awful close to the throat for me...

anyone got good lentil recipes for babies? dh and i are not really lentil eaters, but i know they are a good iron source. i bought a bag of beautiful french indigo lentils and want some easy ideas

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post
anyone got good lentil recipes for babies? dh and i are not really lentil eaters, but i know they are a good iron source. i bought a bag of beautiful french indigo lentils and want some easy ideas
here's one I like for adults, don't know if i'd do tomato with the kiddos, so maybe not so helpful http://www.5dollardinners.com/2008/1...-burritos.html

Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 PM

Hi all! We're doing BLW as well. Henry is 6.5 months old now. He is enjoying playing with his food I'm not sure he eats very much which is fine by me. He is having fun with all the new textures.

He has tried: avocado wedge with the skin on- his favorite so far, banana (didn't love it), sweet potato oven fries, whole steamed carrot, pear slices, quinoa veggie cakes that I made. He probably only eats a small bite or two. Most of it ends up in the highchair seat.

He has also stolen multigrain bread from me and LOVED chewing on it. So much for holding off on wheat but not a big deal I guess since we don't have allergies.

Glad to have this group here! My mom thinks it's weird that we don't feed him baby food.... and freaks out about him choking. But it is really just gagging.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new to BLW, so bear with me. DD just turned 6 months yesterday and last night at dinner she ate some sweet potato puree. She made a face, but she does that all the time anyway, and then ate it. She really seemed to enjoy it. I didn't, however, like cleaning the reddish poop out of her cloth diaper. I guess I better get used to that

My mom (she watches her during the day) is going to give her some banana and maybe some crumbled up rice cake. I'm glad they're starting to come around to the idea of BLW (no cereal! ack).

I am glad this forum is here. Seems I always have questions. For example, tonight I'm going to have grilled cheese and salad. I'll offer her cucumber and green pepper, but what about bites of the grilled cheese? It'll be hormone-free cheddar and wheat bread (no allergies whatsoever with me and DH).

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :
Old 02-04-2009, 05:50 PM

My DD is now 6 months and we too are starting some BLW'ing and a few purees. I'm really just trying to see what she likes at the moment! We've just done sweet potatoes, which she makes the scowling face at! I am curious how you make sweet potato fries. I tried some last night and they just didn't look very safe -- thin edges got a little crisp and even though I peeled the skins off, baking in the oven created a kind of "skin" around the fry and I'm not sure how DD, with no teeth, would be able to eat that? At the same time, I'm not too keen on the recipes I've seen so far. Mix with 1/4 cup olive oil? That just doesn't sound very good to me. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siera View Post
I am curious how you make sweet potato fries. I tried some last night and they just didn't look very safe -- thin edges got a little crisp and even though I peeled the skins off, baking in the oven created a kind of "skin" around the fry and I'm not sure how DD, with no teeth, would be able to eat that? At the same time, I'm not too keen on the recipes I've seen so far. Mix with 1/4 cup olive oil? That just doesn't sound very good to me. Any suggestions? Thanks!
What doesn't sound good? I make them for me and her (mine get some salt and pepper) and they are delicious! At that stage I'd probably bake them whole and cut them into fry shape for her.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Banned

hawk likes to hold and suck on apples. when i tried to take it away from him yesterday, he started crying. "my apple!" he said. lol! so, i gave it back to hiim until he put it down. if i won't give him food that i'm eating, then he goes onto the breast right away.

my MIL desparately wants me to start mush, just like she desparately wants me to do bottles so that she can feed him. i told her about BLW, but she doesn't believe in it because she did FF and then fed dh as people did back then, yk? but, she mostly wants to relate that way to hawk and i can understand that emotional desire.

i'm not going to give in to it, but i get it. LOL

everyone else seems supportive of BLW, but even if they weren't, they could stick it. LOL!

it just makes sense to me. so far, hawk has sucked on apple, red bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, and a green bean. perhaps not in the books either, but he's happy and we're happy. oh yeah, and i let him suck on a piece of grape fruit that i held.

after playing and sucking on the food, he went on the breast!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormaJean13 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to BLW, so bear with me. DD just turned 6 months yesterday and last night at dinner she ate some sweet potato puree. She made a face, but she does that all the time anyway, and then ate it. She really seemed to enjoy it. I didn't, however, like cleaning the reddish poop out of her cloth diaper. I guess I better get used to that

My LO made a face everytime she put food in her mouth for quite some time. I started letting her try food at around 6 months, I think. She didn't have that much interest, and I remember at first I didn't offer food every day. Nowadays she eats whatever I put in front of her, and rarely makes a face. I do primarily self-feeding, but I do feed her soup with a spoon!

I just discovered this week that a baby almost ten months old can put away a LOT of raisins! The first handful I gave her disappeared (and not into her lap or onto the floor!) and so I gave her another handful. I thought that was enough raisins. Can a baby overeat on things like that? My understanding is that they will not overeat, but at the same time maybe as mom I should make sure to offer her more than just raisins, for example?

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Subbing! DD is 5.5 months old and I've been "reading up" on starting solids. I enter this new phase with trepidation though...would love to keep it simple and baby led, just concerned I'll let all those outside influences creep in to my head and tell me to get it going before she is really ready. So this support thread should be great!

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 PM

actually, I should mention I'm reading Super Baby Foods. Do y'all recommend that, or is there something better I should be reading instead?

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Banned

Regarding sweet potato "fries", they are DD's fav food, has been since around 7 1/2 mts. She didn't get her first tooth until she was 9 1/2 mts old, but had no problem with them. she would kind of nibble holes in them, and suck out the mash inside! around the time her first tooth cam in she started taking them apart in her mouth, but removing every single piece of the "skin", placing them on the table! Now, still with only one big tooth (and 3 that have just barely come through), she polishes all of it off!

I highly recommend Rapley's book.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing. :-)

DS is 10.5 months adjusted age, and we started BLW when he was 6mAA. These days, it seems like he eats everything! He loves grapes in particular, so much that we've learned to save those for last, because it's all he'll eat.

Blueberries are also a big hit. A PP above asked about blueberries and whether you should cut them up. I don't, but my son has several months' experience with self-feeding now, so I wasn't worried. I cut grapes in half because they're so big, not just because they're round. HTH!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:43 PM

I'll join! Macey is 8.5 months and we kind of had a rocky start. We had avocado and she wasn't at all interested (at 7 months) so we waited a week or two and tried banana. She ate some and then had a BAD reaction. Crazy gassy , cried for about 4 hours . We almost went to the ER! Then a few weeks ago I gained my courage back and started again ( leaving out banana and other latex foods)

Now she's has apple, sweet potato, and zucchini. She mostly plays but seems to be getting the hang of it!

Glad to be here! What should we try next? Boy I wish it wasn't winter and there were more foods in season

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 PM

Count me in too. My DS is 8.5 months old (same bday as yours baileyann3!).

I'm not going to do the hardcore Rapley thing, but I do like the approach generally so we're adapting it to suit our family.

So far banana chunks, sweet potato fries, broccoli, pear and avocado, and last night was japanese yam tempura with the batter peeled off - a hit! DH has terrible allergies so we're being pretty careful on the introduction side of things.

We are also doing some purees and mashes - the grandmas love to feed DS (try to anyway!) and I don't see the harm - they're all having fun Also DS loves to spood feed himself.

DS is also obsessed with rice cakes, puffed rice, and cheerios.

I look forward to some good ideas from other mamas, and to hear your challenges and successes
Old 02-05-2009, 07:17 PM

My 8.5 mo has been self-feeding for a couple of months.

We're pretty loosey-goosey about it. We don't have allergies in our family, so we're diving in with both feet. DS gets offered whatever we're eating for dinner, as long as it's squooshable.

His absolute favorites are carrots and beans, especially when they're cooked with meat. Penne with marinara. Stir fried turkey and broccoli. Western omelet. Mmmm... it's almost dinner time.

He also enjoys the occasional waffle straight from the freezer when his teeth are bothering him.

BTW, it's a good thing he likes strong flavor, because yesterday I dropped a big jar of garlic and it splashed all over him (plastic container, so no broken glass, just lots and lots of minced garlic). The outfit he was wearing smelled like a breadstick when I took it out of the dryer.

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 PM

dd is sticking her nose up to most purees now, when just last week she was loving them!! which is fine, now i've offered bits of banana and avacado..

just wondering how everyone is offering the food?

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit4ever View Post
dd is sticking her nose up to most purees now, when just last week she was loving them!! which is fine, now i've offered bits of banana and avacado..

just wondering how everyone is offering the food?
I am not offering any purees. I've just been giving her a few chunks of banana to try. Banana Show Down

She had her second attempt tonight and enjoyed playing and licking them.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 PM

I am offering large and steak fry sized chunks of food. If it's soft when it's raw, then perfect if not, then I steam the veggies.

How long are you mamas gonna wait until you do two ingredient or multi ingredient foods?

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08

User Tag List