afraid to let baby with fever go to sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
elf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
okay, so she is sleeping right now but I am nervous.

7ish months old.

today her fever was 101 then 102 and I wasn't worried--I know fevers aren't always bad. She acted okay and didn't really have any symptoms. Tonight when her fever hit 104 I realized maybe I should be more worried.

Everything I read said that if she is acting lethargic or different, to worry. Well, of course she was acting those things because I kept her up an hour after her normal bedtime to give her a cool bath and to watch her fever etc---is that why she was acting different or should I be worried. She is sound asleep right now.

==oh I am now alternating tylenol and motrin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 PM

Right now, I'd let her sleep. If she's still lethargic when she wakes up then take her in.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#3 of 10 Old 02-09-2009, 11:56 PM

I follow Dr. Sear's advice

Fevers

Also Dr. Sears has great definitions

# Lethargy – this means more than your child just isn't acting right or laying quietly in your arms. Lethargy actually refers to your child being limp, lifeless, unresponsive, or won't make eye contact.

# Irritability - this means more than just fussiness. A truly irritable child will cry for hours with minimal verbal interaction, and is almost impossible to console

If she is showing the above symptoms I would take her to a clinic.

If her fever is lowering with treatment then I would try not worry.

I hope she feels better soon. I get so anxious when LOs get sick.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#4 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 12:12 AM

Please don't try to keep her awake. Sleep is very important to sick individuals, especially little babies.

If she is lethargic when she is awake then it may be a sign of something serious, but being extra sleepy is a totally normal and healthy reaction to being sick.

Most children, I've found, will "sleep out" a fever. The fever peaks, then they sleep and when they wake up the fever is reduced significantly. I would keep a watchful eye on her, but certainly let her sleep.

Call your pediatrician and tell them what's going on. 104 is a pretty high fever. Watch for signs of dehydration, and keep rehydration fluid ready if you can.

: feel better, little one!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#5 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
elf

thank you everyone.

she just woke up and drank 5 ounces of pedialyte and nursed. her fever is down to 101.

she seemed less out of it. she is now back to sleep.
#6 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
thank you everyone.

she just woke up and drank 5 ounces of pedialyte and nursed. her fever is down to 101.

she seemed less out of it. she is now back to sleep.
Glad she's feeling better. I'd defenitely nurse BEFORE the pedialite.
#7 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 12:48 AM

If it was me, I would just nurse, no Pedialyte.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-illness.html

I hope she feels better soon, poor thing.
#8 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Also there is a difference between lethargy and listlessness. Its normal to be listless when you have a fever. Lethargy on the otherhand is an emergency. I found this on the Dr.sears website.

Quote:
LETHARGIC

Many parents call our office because their child is sick and “lethargic”. It’s important to understand what lethargic really means. Lethargic means that the baby or child is almost in a coma-like state. The child won’t speak (except incoherent moaning), won’t make eye contact with anyone, won’t acknowledge that anyone else is there, won’t walk or sit up, lies limp and lifeless, too sick to even fuss very much, and won’t really move around. This condition means that the child is seriously ill, and you should probably take your child straight to an ER without delay.

Fortunately when parents tell us their child is lethargic, what they really mean is the child is a bit “out of it”, not quite acting themselves, wants to lie low and just be held, or is fussy on and off. These situations are not really an emergency, since they are common with most illnesses. Call your doctor during business hours to see if an appointment is needed.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#9 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 02:05 AM

Another vote for no pedialite if she's nursing.

-Angela
#10 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 02:22 AM

Whenever DD is running high fevers, i let her either sleep with us, or i wake up about ever hour or so to check on her.

Best of luck!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page